Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL

Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL Questions & Answers (page 2 of 7)

MPN: DMRBWT955GL

136 questions from our users

brucyj

brucyjasked

can I use infra red headphones on this recorder

jessieinnewy51

The DMR-BWT955GL has Normal RCA Audio Out Sockets on the Back of the Unit so you would have to setup a conversion to Convert the RCA output to 3.5mm Socket that is standard for most Powered Infra Red Transmitter interfaces. It all depends on what Infra Red Headphone Interface Transmitter you have. Usually they are setup to be plugged into the Headphone Socket of the associated TV however a lot of Modern TV's don't have a socket and if you use it the TV Speakers are Disconnected. I hope the info helps you a bit.

Also a response I gave elsewhere:
On the other hand Bluetooth is not available on the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 but there are numerous External Bluetooth Transmitters available on the Internet with a power supply or USB powered that would allow the transmitter to be connected to the RCA Sockets (Audio Out) on the rear of the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Unit and that would transmit to Bluetooth compatible Headphones. (I assume you realise that the Headphones would be Battery Powered and a Recharging Dock of some type would be required and I assume you are talking about 2 sets of headphones in case someone else wants to listen in as well)
If you look on Ali express for Instance and do a search for Bluetooth Transmitters you should find dozens of listed Transmitters for around $25 delivered, but you would need to get a good quality unit that has Low Latency ( avoids Lip sync problems) and that is capable of transmitting to 2 Headphones at the same time and has the ability to be connected via RCA Plugs to the DMR-BWT955 or connect via TOSLINK optical fibre between units.
Most modern Televisions don’t have an Earphone Socket and the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 doesn’t have one either so that restricts the ability to connect the various types of Headphones that are available via a 3.5mm plug and if one was on your TV and used it would shut off the Normal TV Speakers. In other words you will need to do some home work, research to find out what is compatible with your requirements. Jaycar Electronics Australia have Bluetooth Headphones $49/set with 300mah Polymer Li-ion Battery but you would still need to buy a Bluetooth Transmitter via Ali express or other preferred Internet seller.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Brucyj, no you are not able to connect infa red ear phones to your recorder.

George H.
George H.

I have Panasonic DMR-BTW955 and Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones with 3.5mm plug audio input. The connection is ;the DMR-BTW955 2RCA plugs to an RCA adaptor short cable with female 3.5mm plug. From there connection with a cable with 2 3.5mm plugs into the Sennheiser transmitter (TR180). Start the DMR-BTW955 and when on a station, mute sound on the PVR. With the remote press Input Select press again for AV wait for blank screen and repeat to get back to TV. The sound switches on in the headphones. I am not sure whether this works for all 3.5mm connections. Sometimes when the PVR is in standby mode this short procedure has to be repeated.

Tattzasked

This is probably a question for the guys from Panasonic.
I encountered an issue recently whereby my BWT955GL would not play certain MKV files via my home WiFi (DLNA) system.
Investigation showed that the files contained the H265 codec which was apparently introduced to cope with the new 4K television format.
I managed to get around the issue by transcoding the files in Handbrake to produce MKV files with an H264 codec that played fine, however it would be good not to have to go through this step as we will start to see more MKV files with the H265 codec in the future.
Do Panasonic intend to release a firmware upgrade for the BWT955GL that will allow it to play the newer format files that contain an H265 codec?

Kathleen

Kathleenasked

Hi
I must be doing something wrong tuning my new DVD BWT955, I can’t seem to pick up any of the free to air Chanel 80’s? The TV is picking them up but not the DVD player both TV and DVD are new.
Please help

jessieinnewy51

The 80's ch's are WIN TV (CH36) in the 585.50 Mhz Band. Maybe you have a Faulty Aerial Connector on the back of the BWT955 that is restricting that particular Freq Range with that particular Brand of New TV across the aerial especially if you have a Powered Mast Head Amplifier. Otherwise Have a Look in the Software side via the Remote Control in the Function Menu at the Basic Settings, Digital TV Tuning, Digital TV Channel List and note if the 80's channels are listed and if they are (Ticked) otherwise do another Auto Tune and see what happens. Good Luck.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Kathleen, if you have no luck with the response above, please call or customer service team on 132600.

Anne M.asked

How do I insert a DVD Into my Panasonic DMW-BWT955GL, THE DOOR SEEMS TO BE BLOCKED

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Anne, if the door isn't opening when you press the eject button on the machine the unit will require service. Please contact our customer service team on 132600.

Anne M.

Thank you for this...I didn’t notice the eject button on the machine! All is well now!

Chris E.asked

Love the unit , I want to store some of my old movies on the usbhhd that I have connected and registered but the only option I seem to get is to copy them to the main hdd . I’d it possible to get them on to the USB hdd ... cheers Chris

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Chris, just to confirm, you have movies stored on the BWT hard drive and want to copy them to an external hard drive?

Chris E.

No the other way around i have them on a separate hard drive and want to keep and store them on the USB hard drive that I’ve registered and added to the bwt thanks

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Chris, you can see on page 73 of the user manual on how to do this. There is a limitation that only AVCHD files can be transferred.

Judi R.

Judi R.asked

Is Internet access required to operate the Panasonic DMR-BWT955?
I have steered clear of the Fetch HDD's for this reason.

Tattz

No, you don't have to have Internet. You can just record free to air digital TV if you want.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Judi, Tattz is correct, you do not need to connect your recorder to the internet. You will just need to connect it to an antenna and the power.

Ray.Pasked

I bought this BWT955 unit to replace my old LG Hard drive recorder which finally died after 12 years. One noticeable difference is the sound quality. I dont know if you can improve that but what i really need to do is combine titles on the HDD. I cant find any way of doing that in the manual. Is there any way of doing it or do I need to get my money back?

Ray

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Ray, thank you for the question. You are able to split a program, but you aren't able to combine titles. You are able to create chapters and combine these, so unsure if this will help you achieve what you are looking for. This information is located on page 50 of the user manual.

Ray.P

thanks that what I thought. I spent $700 on a unit that cant do what my 12 year old much cheaper LG unit could do. disappointed. I wanted to use to edit old home videos but it cant

Wayne P.

Wayne P.asked

Has the DMR BWT 955GL changed or been upgraded in specifications over the past 3 years? I have one, & want to know if I should update mine. I have seen a DMR BWT 955B advertised, is this a changed version?

bilnrobn

The people who answer queries here are mainly other owners who know a bit about using the machine. The best way to find the answer to your query would be through https://www.panasonic.com/au/contact-us.html

Tattz

Would suggest that the "B" may signify that you can now get one in Black as opposed to the normal silver finish???There's no record of a BWT955B on the web so it's either a typo, grey import or an upgraded model. Follow bilnrobn's advice and ask Panasonic the question. Good luck!

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Wayne, sorry for the delay in responding to you, we have just seen your question. Did our customer service team help you to resolve your question?

Kaylee O.asked

We are having an issue with setting programmes to the series timer recording option. It appeared for one show and is currently recording it like it should but when attempting to set it for another show the option doesn't appear. The operating instustions booklet isn't much help as it seems to say that it should always come up as an option. It's also not that we have set to many shows to the series timer record feature. You can apparently "enter up to 32 programmes within a month in advance" we have only been able to set 1 show and intend on setting more but right now that seems impossible. To sum this up - how can we select this feature to record multiply episodes of a series?

bilnrobn

You seem to have tried this but let's go through the steps. You press the Prog/Check button, (second from the bottom on the left of the remote. A list of items set to record appears, in your case just one programme. Directly below this should be a yellow bar with "New Timer Programme" printed in it. Is this not happening? (You say "the series timer recording option" What do you mean by "series"? I haven't come across that word in the manual. Timer recording is described on page 31.)

Kaylee O.

I'll try that, but on page 32 there's a sentence about series timer recording adn underneath that there's a few dot points about it but nothing seems to tell you how to do it

Tony K

Tony Kasked

Could I please get a Panasonic techie answer my query. My 2 year old unit started playing up recently - the picture and sound keep breaking up when I run it through "Recorder" but no problems when run through "TV". The cable from the aerial wall socket is connected to the recorder and then to the TV via the RF output. I have an older Panasonic recorder and when connected similarly, works fine.
Is the problem due to a tuner problem or the main board? Kindly advise.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Tony, sorry we have just seen your question. Did you get a resolution to your enquiry?

Lizardasked

I love this Panasonic Recorder, but for some reason when I press AV on the TV remote , The TV screen is blank. I can’t get The Guide on the DVD recorder and therefore can’t record anything. Everything is plugged in. There is a small picture of a clock on the DVD display. Don’t know if that’s significant. Hope someone can help.

jessieinnewy51

Your question seems to be a bit vague. But I will try to give you some direction, I assume the Buttons you are talking about are the ones that have been Designed to work with a Panasonic TV set not other brands. If you are using another Brand it is probably connected to the PVR via a HDMI cable so you need to switch the actual TV to the Correct HDMI port that is being used. Then turn on the Panasonic Recorder with the Remote Control using the Red, Power Button in the top left corner of the remote control. Now you should see the TV channel it is set on and be able to use the Green " Guide" Button to setup recordings etc. The owners Manual tells you quite a bit about initial setup maybe you should have a read.
Good Luck with your problem or consult Panasonic Customer Support by phone.

Lizard

Thank you, I’m sorry If I didn’t word it very well. The recorder has been fine since I bought it several months ago, and all of a sudden I can’t get any picture if on AV (the button I have to press on the TV remote to see the programs and record them via the Panasonic recorder.

george t.

george t.asked

Can i transfer files to this recorder from pc

Tattz

Yes, you certainly can. Connect to your home WiFi and the recorder should appear in file explorer and you can just drag and drop from there.

HG

HGasked

If you are recording TV programmes on all three tuners can you still play a DVD at the same time?

jessieinnewy51

Yes you can, I have just tried it Ch5 Jamies Quick & Easy Meals, Ch6 Now you see me, Movie, Ch8 Just go with it,Movie and Played Ferdinand Movie DVD all went well.

Kevin B.asked

Hello, I hope someone may be able to help here.....We have a Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Recorder Model# DMR-BWT955 - over the past few days for some recordings, the machine sets up to record and sits in "Pause" but it never starts recording - when we select the channel to be recorded there is "No Signal", but when we cancel the recording, there is a signal - this is becoming regular and consistent now. The machine is less than a year old, is it US already?

bilnrobn

If it is under a year old it is still under warranty. Get it back to your supplier ASAP. It could just be how you are setting it up in which case the dealer should be able to help you sort it, (I've never had that problem with mine and can't think what could be causing it, but the dealer should be able to.) If it is a product fault then you are entitled to repair or a new one.

Alex M.asked

Does this play dvd's and blu-rays from all regions?

bilnrobn

No. Just the region you are in...
However, and this is, I think, a little known fact, If the product is still under warranty and you have the paperwork to prove it is both yours and when and from which retailer you bought it, you can take it to any official Panasonic appointed service centre and they will change it to all regions for you at no cost.

Alex M.

Thank you for the feedback.

Lazruss
Lazruss

why is it that you have to take your player all the way to the one Panasonic service center (for me, in Victoria) to enable it to be made region free..... cost to be in petrol and time. It will take me an hour to get there and an hour to get home again. And why does it have to be in warranty? Panasonic ask you to download the specific firmware yourself and go all the way to the service centre so that they can program a secret code from a there remote, when they could tell you this on the phone or by return email. They don't have to tell you the code, but it's not illegal to supply it either.

Jeff M.

Jeff M.asked

can this set top box record 2 shows and watch a 3rd

jessieinnewy51

Yes, the dmr-bwt955 will record 2 and you can watch another.

Tracey E.asked

Why can’t I view Freeview on my dmr-bwt955. I can with my dmr-pwt540. Is there a setting issue. SBS on demand doesn’t work properly on either PVR, but I can watch the shows I want on my iPad using sbs on demand or on Freeview. So how do I get Freeview to work on the dmr-bwt955?

Tracey E.

I live in Brisbane if that is important. And the Freeview icon just never appears on my tv and I press the green button on my remote and nothing happens. But using my older PVR, the Freeview icon appears and the green button gives me Freeview. I have no Freeview app saved on the internet screens, some people seem to mention it, so how do I get it, if I can???

jessieinnewy51

I Suggest you Contact Panasonic customer service team on 132600 and see what they tell you. I have written previous replies about the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 as it appears to have an Out of Date Browser which is hampering full access to Modern Streaming Web Sites. The Old sites were HTTP sites and now they are HTTPS sites but the Old Panasonic Browser doesn't know what to do with the New Format. (You can access streaming sites with an Ipad or Laptop because the Browser is Up to date). So STREAMING is virtually out for this Unit if this is what you wanted it for. Again get Panasonic to advise you and let the Product Review know of your Answer. Good Luck.

SONYA G.

SONYA G.asked

I am losing signal on all channels except the channel I am recording. If I stop recording the signals to all channels returns

Kevin B.

No answer I'm afraid, but I just posted a very similar fault - grrrr!!

Spikeasked

I tried downloading the 1.27 update onto dvd recorder dmr-bwt955 but didn't download. All it asked me was what do I want to do with the usb device such as play/copy, view photos, play/copy music, copy new photos not "BYE" and then turn off then on again. I checked to make sure that "PANAEUSB.FRM" was installed on the usb flash drive by plugging it into my laptop and checked that it was there. Any help would be appreciated.

Spike,
Here is roughly how I did the Update to V1.27, have a read step by step and you may discover an error in your process. Good Luck.
Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder (Firmware Update Process)

Initially Check what version of Firmware is on your Unit by using the remote control to access the information,
Go to “Function Menu Button”
Go to “Setup”
Go to “Basic Settings”
Go to “OTHERS”
scroll down to System Information and open it to show your Software Version eg V1.24
The Reason for this is that if you have the Latest already Installed on the Unit the USB Stick won’t start up at all.

(1) Check that the USB Stick you are using is Formatted as a FAT32 (Check Properties of the usb stick)
(2) Check that the PANAEUSB.FRM file is actually 126,684Kb to ensure it has been extracted fully.

(3) Update Procedure,
Turn on the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder
Insert the USB Stick into the front USB Port (You will probably find things take awhile to react, the USB stick has to be identified and then read)
The Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder will first display a “BYE” on the front Display and automatically turn itself off and then after a few seconds it should restart again and start the FIRMWARE Installation from the USB stick.
Note Well:
If the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder does not restart automatically after it was supposed to turn off, then press [POWER Switch] on the top corner of the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder the unit should now start to load the FIRMWARE update. You need to be a bit patient waiting for the process to start and that depends on the read speed of the USB Stick etc. (Keep an eye on the Unit Display Panel)
When the process gets started you should see the Display flash up messages “LFVU” and then Later on “W MAIN” finally after about 5 minutes you should get the message “FINISH” on the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder Display.
You should then just remove the USB Stick and then Turn Off the Power using the switch on the top right corner of the Unit.
The unit should have accepted the Update now and you should be able to Turn it on and check that it is up to the Latest Version by using the Remote Control.
Go to “Function Menu Button”
Go to “Setup”
Go to “Basic Settings”
Go to “OTHERS”
scroll down to “System Information” and open it to show your new Software Version eg The Latest for Australia V1.27

Hi Jessie,
I inserted my USB flash drive in my computer and checked it. It said PANAEUSB.FRM FRM File 126,684 kb the strange thing about it is that the date modified is 26/12/2018 which to me doesn't make sense when 1.27 didn't come out until Jan 2019. I tried putting back into Dvd Recorder waited about 10 minutes but the same question came up on the screen what do you want to do with the USB Flash drive. Play etc..

jessieinnewy51

Spike, I can only assume you are downloading the wrong Setup file somehow and extracting the wrong FRM file, if you select a wrong country the FRM probably wont be recognised by your DMR BWT955. The web adderss is a Japanese master site. av.jpn.support.panasonic.com, This is where you should end up,
Support > Digital AV > Blu-ray Disc™ Player/Recorder > Download > DMR-BWT955 / BWT850 / BWT750 Firmware Download and make sure you scroll down and select Country Australia. The Version should be shown as released 16/Jan/2019 but you are correct it was built 26/12/2018 and that's what appears on your usb stick. Maybe you have a faulty usb stick, try formatting another usb stick to FAT32 and make sure there is nothing else on the stick other than the New FRM file.. Have another try.
Good Luck.

Ron of the wheatbelt

Ron of the wheatbeltasked

I can not download to a portable hard drive or USB. Please help?

jessieinnewy51

I suggest you READ page 74 of the Operating Instructions. The HDD has to be a Registered Unit connected to the Panasonic and be very, very careful if you use anything else because it will be formatted to suit the Panasonic and probably will not be able to be read on a Win10 or Linux PC etc. Good Luck

jessieinnewy51

Beware of the abilities of this unit, it looks like it has been setup to be very restrictive as far as what you can copy to a DVD disk or a USB Unit. (It looks like Panasonic are making sure that Media Companies cannot attack them for copyright matters but the Panasonic Customer has thereby been very restricted in what they can do with their purchased unit, that is if you want to get a copy of Australian Gogglebox off you hard drive and share it with a Neighbour via a USB Stick to plug into their DVD Player or their PVR USB Port you have no chance.
To copy to a DVD or DVD RW the copy process has to be FINALISED within settings or the copied DVD will not Function in another DVD Player or a Computer. (A FINALISED DVD will at least end up with TTS mob files on it, but how long will the Burning LASER last if you have to keep doing this to share a Video with a Neighbour or Friend)
The Panasonic Unit doesn’t have a Remote Control Button to EJECT the DVD as such you have to manually EJECT the disc by a switch on the Unit itself.
Transferring Movies between different DVB player HDD drives is a problem unless you have a DLNA server setup up.
As for the USB Port be very, very careful if you copy to a USB HD as it is called because once that USB HD has been formatted by the Panasonic Unit it cannot be used on a Laptop or anything else and virtually becomes useless for anything other than the Panasonic as a storage medium and has to be over 160Gb in size, I had tried a 1Tb Stand alone in the Front USB port and it was formatted and a Movie File copied to it but that was it as far as being used anywhere else. (Who knows how it was formatted but it can’t be read on Linux or Win 10)
Read Page 74 of their Panasonic Manual Very, Very Carefully where they talk about Registering the external HDD (USB HDD). It probably needs a Powered USB Hard Drive on the Rear USB Port but I used a un powered USB on the Front of the Unit. BEWARE<BEWARE

Get an answer from our members and Panasonic representatives