Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL

Listing monitored by Panasonic

• Recording Quality
  • Software
  • Reliability

I found it a good machine ( I would have added a half a star, if I could)

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Monty, Thank you for your great feedback regrading our DVD-recorders and i will certainly pass on your feedback around the lack In/out puts to our engineering department for feature consideration.

Richard Ulkowski
Richard UlkowskiGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!! DO NOY BUY PANASONIC!!!

Useless piece of crap and no answers from Panasonic technicians having reached out several times...avoid all all costs!!! Save time, money and your personal mental well-being and buy a different “reputable” brand with aftercare!!!

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $895.00.

lou
lousydney

DMRBWT955GL - transfer of data

Purchased in January 2016.

org8
org8-

Depends on what you want it for!

Purchased in June 2018.

Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs

Find out how Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL compares to other Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs

M P.
M P.

I'd give a negative score if I could

Panasonic still sell this quite expensive and seemingly high featured dvr, but they have not updated its now very old network apps. The browser does not support the https protocols used almost exclusively now on the internet. This means you can not even update to a different browser using play store as play store will not accept login from an insecure, ie http, browser. So I can't get any of the catch up tv channels that want a user login because they too want https . This expensive pvr has other bad features. I regret ever buying this pvr and will never buy another Panasonic product again, and I'm happy to tell everyone what I think of Panasonic's contempt for its customers. The are many cheaper, better pvrs.

Purchased in July 2018 for $750.00.

mz1melbourne

Way overpriced

Sometimes when I set it to record programs it just flashes the red "rec1" constantly rather than actually records but the really annoying thing is the blu-ray player will not put out any volume on blu-ray series. No problem on blu-ray movies but nothing for the series. Picture, no sound. I've called Panasonic about this and they "helpfully" got me to turn the unit off and on about a dozen times and then suggested I take it to a Panasonic tech who is miles away from me. Useless! So, yeah, one of the main reasons I bought this unit and it doesn't even work. Won't be buying Panasonic again.

Purchased in May 2019 at eBay for $549.00.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi MZ, sorry we couldn't assist you but it does sound like the product has developed a fault. If you aren't able to take the unit into the service agent, perhaps you can post it to them.

mz1

You must see how redundant that is. It's done this since I bought it. When did it have its chance to "develop a fault"? And who's going to pay for the postage etc...?

Ian Anderson .
Ian Anderson .Florey 2615, ACT

Disappointed in this unit especially as it cost so much and it's only two weeks old.

The most annoying feature on this unit, (apart from the cost) is that when you are using YouTube, ABC iView and other internet streams the picture appears to be shrunken or cropped with a surrounding black border of 2-3 cm depending on the size of TV screen. Mine is 40"/100cm. My $50 Roku box works so much better and I'll probably keep using it.

Purchased in November 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $669.00.

Graeme B.
Graeme B.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Hopeless for managing a video library

Purchased in November 2017 at Harvey Norman.

mrpatto
mrpattoSydney

Great when it works

I love this recorder when it works. With 3 HD tuners I never miss a show and can watch all my catch up without adds. I don't know if it's just my one but every few months I've had to reset it as it's stopped recording. As I said I love it but could work better.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Thad
ThadRyde

If only it worked the way it should

The recorder does not always record the TV program from the TV guide. Selecting a TV program to record every week the unit will not record the TV programme if it does not obtain the information from the TV guide, which is often. The recorder has a problem obtaining (reading) current TV guide from the various TV channels. Also beware the recorder only up-scales to 4k which means it will not play 4k dvd's

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Unable to do basic things

NOT a TIVO alternative. Can not pause live tv unless you are recording it. Can not pause a recording and watch another channel. Very bad control. To many basic hic ups to list. I believe that all the great reviews are submitted by Panasonic staff. Third Panasonic purchase. Tv is ok. Home theatre product the worst I have ever bought.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Gavin17
Gavin17Noosa Heads Qld

BEWARE - DOES NOT PLAY 4K DVD/VIDEOS - Despite 4K Badge!

Bought this unit and 4K OLED TV to watch 4K Videos as the clear BOLD 4K badging on the unit and tech data showed that it was 4K ...but it will not actually play 4K Videos as expected.....".cannot read this..."
I feel quite unimpressed by this deception and feel mislead by the Panasonic presentation and marketing information. Accordingly I cannot recommend it as a 4K device.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

emalee
emaleeSydney

Disappointed

Date PurchasedDec 2015
twitch
twitchsydney

Bells & whistles

Looks pretty, does what it does within it's capabilities.
Has an on/off switch.
Records programmes.
Tells the time & connects to the Internet.
I like the dvd tray, it goes in and out at command.
You can watch stuff anytime you like.