Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL

• Software
  • Reliability
Richard Ulkowski
Richard UlkowskiGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!! DO NOY BUY PANASONIC!!!

Useless piece of crap and no answers from Panasonic technicians having reached out several times...avoid all all costs!!! Save time, money and your personal mental well-being and buy a different “reputable” brand with aftercare!!!

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $895.00.

M P.
M P.

I'd give a negative score if I could

Panasonic still sell this quite expensive and seemingly high featured dvr, but they have not updated its now very old network apps. The browser does not support the https protocols used almost exclusively now on the internet. This means you can not even update to a different browser using play store as play store will not accept login from an insecure, ie http, browser. So I can't get any of the catch up tv channels that want a user login because they too want https . This expensive pvr has other bad features. I regret ever buying this pvr and will never buy another Panasonic product again, and I'm happy to tell everyone what I think of Panasonic's contempt for its customers. The are many cheaper, better pvrs.

Purchased in July 2018 for $750.00.

mz1melbourne

Way overpriced

Sometimes when I set it to record programs it just flashes the red "rec1" constantly rather than actually records but the really annoying thing is the blu-ray player will not put out any volume on blu-ray series. No problem on blu-ray movies but nothing for the series. Picture, no sound. I've called Panasonic about this and they "helpfully" got me to turn the unit off and on about a dozen times and then suggested I take it to a Panasonic tech who is miles away from me. Useless! So, yeah, one of the main reasons I bought this unit and it doesn't even work. Won't be buying Panasonic again.

Purchased in May 2019 at eBay for $549.00.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi MZ, sorry we couldn't assist you but it does sound like the product has developed a fault. If you aren't able to take the unit into the service agent, perhaps you can post it to them.

mz1

You must see how redundant that is. It's done this since I bought it. When did it have its chance to "develop a fault"? And who's going to pay for the postage etc...?

MefistofeleVictoria

Steep Learning Curve!

Purchased in April 2019.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Mefistofele, thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback, we appreciate the great features you mention and the way you would like to see improvements for the product.

Mefistofele

I would have liked the DVD player to be multi-zoned out-of-the-box!

Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs

Find out how Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL compares to other Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs

bilnrobn
bilnrobnWestern Australia

A great recorder, but some Manual info a bit sketchy

The straight forward stuff is well explained and easy to follow. I love it. However some instructions are a little hard to find or follow. Recording a programme on every Monday to Friday I know is possible, but have yet to discover how to set it. For the moment I'm working around that and my overall impression is favorable.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Unable to do basic things

NOT a TIVO alternative. Can not pause live tv unless you are recording it. Can not pause a recording and watch another channel. Very bad control. To many basic hic ups to list. I believe that all the great reviews are submitted by Panasonic staff. Third Panasonic purchase. Tv is ok. Home theatre product the worst I have ever bought.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Gavin17
Gavin17Noosa Heads Qld

BEWARE - DOES NOT PLAY 4K DVD/VIDEOS - Despite 4K Badge!

Bought this unit and 4K OLED TV to watch 4K Videos as the clear BOLD 4K badging on the unit and tech data showed that it was 4K ...but it will not actually play 4K Videos as expected.....".cannot read this..."
I feel quite unimpressed by this deception and feel mislead by the Panasonic presentation and marketing information. Accordingly I cannot recommend it as a 4K device.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
maggiec
maggiec

It's early days but so far excellent.

We bought this a week ago so it's early days. Just some issues and maybe another reviewer can help me out. When we set a program to record, even if we don't choose the "Keyword" option, it records every repeat and every showing on every channel eg, ABC1, ABC2, etc. so you end up with 10 recordings. Also, maybe someone can tell me how to add time to the recording because a movie just squeaked in the other day and we got no credits. But apart from that I find it easy to navigate and a huge improvement on the last box we had which was a Topfield. When I've learned to drive it properly I'll report back. :)