Panasonic SD-2501

Panasonic SD-2501 Questions & Answers

MPNs: 35902769, PSD2501 and SD2501

148 questions from our users

Hi, I love my bread maker, however, whenever I make rye bread in the machine, it seems not to rise properly. I use the proper rye paddle, follow directions but still not happy with the looks or density of the bread. I have read that rye flour does not have much gluten which can affect the rising process, so how can I overcome this to make a good loaf of rye bread? Thank you, Judy Cooke

Flour is not evenly mixed,leaving unmixed flour in crust of bread. Have tried different flours,extra water, etc. Worked ok for first 3 months, & now have problems. Very disappointed.

hi on my first use of the sd2501 I selected menu 3,added nuts to the dispenser,a nice loaf came out but the nuts are still in the dispenser.????????

Breadmaker has stopped working, power lights on but just not operating.

Does the machine brown the top of the bread ? My sunbeam does not .
Yes it doesWillyeckerslike thank you

Our breadmakers are only a year old (we have two and same problem with both) and yet when I make raisin loaf, it’s about a 50/50 chance if the fruit gets dispensed into the mix. Very frustrating! Does anybody know the time cycle that the raisins are suppose to be encorporated so that I can do it manually if needed?
I have read somewhere that if you overfill the dispenser it jams the mechanism, try one with less fruit or what I did yesterday was when the bread was in the kneading cycle I added half of the fruit manually and the rest dropped in automatically. Worth a try?

Just made first loaf with new SD2501. Absolutely staggered to find there seems to be not even one user programmable menu option. Come one Panasonic- in this day of EEPROM flash microprocessors, just how hard can it be????

I have just used my SD-2501 for the 1st time in a little while and my bread hasn’t mixed any of the ingredients. I have been left with baked unmixed ingredients. It smells lovely in the house but isn’t quite what I was wanting!! Why has this happened?

I want to make a seeded sour dough rye loaf in my Panasonic SD-2501 Breadmaker. What baking option should I choose and how to go about it?

Hi, we were recently given this bread maker SD-2501 as a gift. It has been great but we are desperate to make sourdough bread. Can sourdough be make in this machine please? And if so what setting and recipe? Thanks so much!

All if the loaves j make are perfect apart from the Rye & White loaf. It always has a certain amount of flour that doesn't seem to get mixed. When it's baked you end up with some very dry flour at one end of the loaf. Any suggestions? Scrap it off and it's fine and cooked underneath it.
What type/brand of flour are you using? I've tried a few white loaves without any problems but not rye.Hi Paul, are you following the instructions for these particular types of bread? We would suggest this is the first place to start as if other loaves are working it doesn't sound like a fault with the unit.As with all the loaves I am following the instructions. This is why I cannot understand why it doesn't work.

Anything less than 6 hours gives me a soggy brick. It's still ok to eat as toast, but you wouldn't really call it bread. On the 6 hour French Bread cycle it looks like the yeast has really worked with large holes/bubbles through the bread (one rising not 2 thing) but on the number 1 cycle (for normal loaf) it is so so so dense. Where am I going wrong?
You tell us? Are you separating your yeast from the other ingredients? Are you using proper 'strong' flour? I have used multiple cycles and each has come out fine.Hi Saddle Saw, are you following the instructions in the user manual? What sort of ingredients are you using? What sort of yeast are you using?Thanks for responding Panasonic. No I do not follow instructions for french loaf (see my review) but it comes out great. Yes I am following instructions for the other loaves, and they are not coming out great (except when toasted but not as bread). I'm using the same flour (bakers bread flour) and the same yeast (Lowan Premium Dry Baker's Yeast) and yes it goes in the bottom with flour on top, and no I do not let it touch liquid before the mixing stage. The only variation (but I do it on french as well) is swap out milk powder and water, for the same amount of real milk. Milk powder has soy in it so I can't use it. I've ordered new scales in case mine are out, but they aren't here yet. The loaves honestly seem like they need longer cooking. I'm making the smallest size (ingredients) and setting it to the smallest size on the machine when baking.

What's the difference between the two kneading paddles?
The one that looks like a comb is for Rye Bread. The information (and lots more besides) is in the (well worth reading) booklet.

Hi, I have a 2501. I bought some Matthews Cotswold French flour. Can I use this to make a French loaf instead of strong white flour? There is nothing in the manual for real French flour.
Sorry can't help you much with that. I think it has to be 'strong' flour of some kind but I haven't tried making a French loaf either. Though a quick look at the website you mentioned shows that you should be OK to use that flour. https://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/product/french-t55-traditional-bread-flour/Hi Sandy, it is difficult for us to comment on different ingredients and what will or won't work specifically. With different products it maybe trial and error.

I have recently bought and started using a Panasonic Bread Maker SD 2511. I followed the recipe for the sourdough bread (page 18 in the manual, menu 27) but it did not rise very much at all. One issue I noticed was that the picture in the manual showed menu 27 setting the machine, with an image at the start that had the 'rise' stage underlined. My machine, however, immediately started the 'knead' function with no rest or rise period to start with. I thought that this was odd as the recipe made a song and dance about keeping salt and yeast separate as it was placed in the machine - which would make sense if there was a period of rest where they shouldn't touch (as salt kills yeast). So...my question is, have other people noticed this anomaly or malfunction in the sourdough menu setting that means it skips the rest period? Or does my machine have a problem?
Sorry, just editing - I wrote this up in a hurry and realise that I made an error reporting my steps - I was following the recipe on page 19 (not 18) with the menu setting on 10 for rustic sourdough. As I said above, my machine went straight to 'knead' with no rest period. I suspect this is an error (why keep salt and yeast separate if it is going to mix everything with the sourdough starter anyway?) I certainly ended up with a very hard dense loaf after 5 hours when the machine finished.

I have just unpacked a brand new SD-2501 and started making my first loaf and it will not move on from the REST period. I have waited for approximately two hours on setting 6, changed the program setting to 1 and waited the requisite 30 minutes that the books says it will rest and still it will not move on from REST. Nothing is happening, the machine is not warm, the lights are all working. Is this machine broken?
The machine isn't supposed to move when on the resting phase. I believe we're not supposed to changed the setting mid way as it stops the cycle. My suggestion would be to contact the company and ask. Mine definitely doesn't do anything like this. Best of luck!Oh and I thought the same thing when I first used mine. It just SAT...seemingly forever. I would recommend set and do not touch anything at all, don't change settings or tweak anything or open the lid. I had to go to another area of the house and get busy...lol Sure enough, what seemed like hours later, I heard the paddle start (its very quiet). And later on it beeped and I was rewarded with the most fabulous perfectly baked loaf of bread. Give it a go.

About the NEW PLASTIC SMELL. I always dread using plastic with heat, then eat what comes out of it. But thank goodness the inside part of the machine is metal. However, on first use, it STANK when baking as the plastic outside became super heated from the element inside. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE for the plastic to stop stinking when baking? Or is it a forever thing?
Hi Saddle saw, the product generally doesn't have a smell from the plastic. Is this still evident?Thanks for responding Panasonic. It's coming from the back I think. It's just warm on the front and sides, but the back is burning hot to the point you almost can't touch it. Is that normal?Ok I've done some more baking on different settings (in the laundry with windows open) and towards the end of the baking period, the front is just warm, the sides are hot but you can touch them, the back of the unit however is SO HOT between the hinge and the vents that it actually burns. You cannot touch it it's so hot. And although the plastic smell is not overpowering like the first bake (6 hour program) it is still prominent in the last 1/4 of baking time for a number 1 setting loaf. I can't imagine Panasonic would make the sides warm but not burning hot, but not the back?

I've had my 2501 for a couple of weeks now. Insanely happy with the bread (made white, wholemeal and the wonderful parmesan and sundried tomato) but I've tried the chocolate cake and I think there's an error in the quantities somehow. I knew it was wrong when I was 'spooning' it into the machine, as I couldn't actually 'spoon' the batter at all! It was like thick tar, way too solid. The cake was like something you could knock someone unconscious with when it was cooked. I followed the recipe to the letter, and the proportions are the same for the butter cake on the same page, so if it's a typo, they've done it twice. Anyone else find this and have a solution?
I have not tried baking cakes in the Panasonic but from past experiences the actual baking time cycle on all bread making machines is too long this is why your cake is coming out similar to a house brick. I have stuck to using my electric oven for the best results. Check cooking times for the size of the recipe your mixing and adjust your cooking times using the + plus and - minus symbols on your menu settings for your cake. Hope this helps.Hi Kiwi, thank you for your question in relation to the chocolate cake. Our technical specialist has tested the specific recipe today and didn't experience the results you did. The batter was a good consistency (a little thicker than some mixes), and the cake came out very well. Our customer service team do thank you for raising your question as we have all enjoyed chocolate cake for morning tea! Please let us know if you experience any issues on your next attempt.Sounds like you might be beating your flour too long? Cream your butter and sugar REALLY well, and for a long time until it's pale and the sugar is completely dissolved. The eggs can be dropped in one at a time only after your butter and sugar is dissolved and super pale and creamy. Beat hard once the eggs are combined. There should be no flour in there at all during this process. At this point I also add vanilla and milk and wet ingredients (after eggs before flour). Check egg sizes because small eggs will not provide enough moisture and binding. When it comes to adding the dry ingredients, mix then together first in a separate bowl, and you want to wet and combine/blend on a SLOW speed, not a high speed whisk. Or your flour goes tough, and your cake will be like a rock. This part can even be done with a wooden spoon or a hand whisk. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference :)

I bought this breadmaker so that I could make gluten free bread for my son - and the bread I make is sensational. Its a fabulous machine. Now my son thinks his problem is that he is yeast intolerant - does anyone know if I can make yeast free bread in the breadmaker? I dont have a sourdough starter. If it is possible to make YF bread in the Panasonic SD2501, would someone please give me a recipe?
You can buy a sourdough starter from any good bread speciality shop. In WA Big Bubble is great and has lots of alternative flour mixes. It may be, that like me it is bleached white flour is the problem for your son. I recommend you try the preservative free mixes and maybe buy a pack of of alternative flour mixes (they come with yeast ) and try them out. I have never tried making yeast free (unleavened bread) there is a recipe in the instruction book!Hi Ennoh, thank you for your enquiry. Our recipes include yeast as this is what assists the bread to rise in the breadmaker. You could try recipes that don't include yeast and kneed it in the breadmaker and try the oven to cook the bread.

Get an answer from our members and Panasonic representatives

Similar listings