Panasonic SD-2501

Panasonic SD-2501 Questions & Answers (page 2 of 8)

MPNs: 35902769, PSD2501 and SD2501

160 questions from our users

Rex

Rexasked

Just made first loaf with new SD2501. Absolutely staggered to find there seems to be not even one user programmable menu option. Come one Panasonic- in this day of EEPROM flash microprocessors, just how hard can it be????

Saddle Saw

Not. And to begin with I shared your frustrations. However, this machine does differing rest times and I think might also adjust for ambient temps and all kinds of "variables" and those variables cant be taken into account with a set in concrete always the same user cycle. I am now happy to let it do it's thing.

beanie

beanieasked

I have just used my SD-2501 for the 1st time in a little while and my bread hasn’t mixed any of the ingredients. I have been left with baked unmixed ingredients. It smells lovely in the house but isn’t quite what I was wanting!! Why has this happened?

GagetGirl

GagetGirlasked

I want to make a seeded sour dough rye loaf in my Panasonic SD-2501 Breadmaker.
What baking option should I choose and how to go about it?

Bella

Bellaasked

Hi, we were recently given this bread maker SD-2501 as a gift. It has been great but we are desperate to make sourdough bread. Can sourdough be make in this machine please? And if so what setting and recipe? Thanks so much!

Saddle Saw

Yes. Use your own sourdough culture, or use the culture you can make yourself here (from Panasonic Australia) https://blogs.panasonic.com.au/consumer/simple-delicious-sourdough-bread-2/

Saddle Saw

I just found another one (also by Panasonic) for baking IN the breadmaker, using Menu 10, but also uses the bread machine to warm the sourdough starter to bring it to life (rather than oven or glass jar in a warm place). It's going to depend on if you have your own sourdough starter culture, and if you choose and oven baked cob, or a breadmaker loaf. Have a look here for the baked in breadmaker version https://www.theideaskitchen.com.au/rustic-sourdough-bread-recipe/

Paulasked

All if the loaves j make are perfect apart from the Rye & White loaf. It always has a certain amount of flour that doesn't seem to get mixed. When it's baked you end up with some very dry flour at one end of the loaf. Any suggestions? Scrap it off and it's fine and cooked underneath it.

Director

What type/brand of flour are you using?

I've tried a few white loaves without any problems but not rye.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Paul, are you following the instructions for these particular types of bread? We would suggest this is the first place to start as if other loaves are working it doesn't sound like a fault with the unit.

Paul

As with all the loaves I am following the instructions. This is why I cannot understand why it doesn't work.

BaffledWoman

BaffledWomanasked

What's the difference between the two kneading paddles?

Saddle Saw

The one that looks like a comb is for Rye Bread. The information (and lots more besides) is in the (well worth reading) booklet.

Sandy

Sandyasked

Hi, I have a 2501. I bought some Matthews Cotswold French flour. Can I use this to make a French loaf instead of strong white flour? There is nothing in the manual for real French flour.

Director

Sorry can't help you much with that. I think it has to be 'strong' flour of some kind but I haven't tried making a French loaf either. Though a quick look at the website you mentioned shows that you should be OK to use that flour. https://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/product/french-t55-traditional-bread-flour/

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Sandy, it is difficult for us to comment on different ingredients and what will or won't work specifically. With different products it maybe trial and error.

Ruthasked

I have recently bought and started using a Panasonic Bread Maker SD 2511. I followed the recipe for the sourdough bread (page 18 in the manual, menu 27) but it did not rise very much at all. One issue I noticed was that the picture in the manual showed menu 27 setting the machine, with an image at the start that had the 'rise' stage underlined. My machine, however, immediately started the 'knead' function with no rest or rise period to start with. I thought that this was odd as the recipe made a song and dance about keeping salt and yeast separate as it was placed in the machine - which would make sense if there was a period of rest where they shouldn't touch (as salt kills yeast). So...my question is, have other people noticed this anomaly or malfunction in the sourdough menu setting that means it skips the rest period? Or does my machine have a problem?

Ruth

Sorry, just editing - I wrote this up in a hurry and realise that I made an error reporting my steps - I was following the recipe on page 19 (not 18) with the menu setting on 10 for rustic sourdough. As I said above, my machine went straight to 'knead' with no rest period. I suspect this is an error (why keep salt and yeast separate if it is going to mix everything with the sourdough starter anyway?) I certainly ended up with a very hard dense loaf after 5 hours when the machine finished.

TT2

TT2asked

I have just unpacked a brand new SD-2501 and started making my first loaf and it will not move on from the REST period. I have waited for approximately two hours on setting 6, changed the program setting to 1 and waited the requisite 30 minutes that the books says it will rest and still it will not move on from REST. Nothing is happening, the machine is not warm, the lights are all working. Is this machine broken?

justmyopinion
justmyopinion

The machine isn't supposed to move when on the resting phase. I believe we're not supposed to changed the setting mid way as it stops the cycle.

My suggestion would be to contact the company and ask. Mine definitely doesn't do anything like this.

Best of luck!

Saddle Saw

Oh and I thought the same thing when I first used mine. It just SAT...seemingly forever. I would recommend set and do not touch anything at all, don't change settings or tweak anything or open the lid. I had to go to another area of the house and get busy...lol Sure enough, what seemed like hours later, I heard the paddle start (its very quiet). And later on it beeped and I was rewarded with the most fabulous perfectly baked loaf of bread. Give it a go.

Saddle Sawasked

About the NEW PLASTIC SMELL. I always dread using plastic with heat, then eat what comes out of it. But thank goodness the inside part of the machine is metal. However, on first use, it STANK when baking as the plastic outside became super heated from the element inside. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE for the plastic to stop stinking when baking? Or is it a forever thing?

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Saddle saw, the product generally doesn't have a smell from the plastic. Is this still evident?

Saddle Saw

Thanks for responding Panasonic. It's coming from the back I think. It's just warm on the front and sides, but the back is burning hot to the point you almost can't touch it. Is that normal?

Saddle Saw

Ok I've done some more baking on different settings (in the laundry with windows open) and towards the end of the baking period, the front is just warm, the sides are hot but you can touch them, the back of the unit however is SO HOT between the hinge and the vents that it actually burns. You cannot touch it it's so hot. And although the plastic smell is not overpowering like the first bake (6 hour program) it is still prominent in the last 1/4 of baking time for a number 1 setting loaf.

I can't imagine Panasonic would make the sides warm but not burning hot, but not the back?

Kiwi

Kiwiasked

I've had my 2501 for a couple of weeks now. Insanely happy with the bread (made white, wholemeal and the wonderful parmesan and sundried tomato) but I've tried the chocolate cake and I think there's an error in the quantities somehow. I knew it was wrong when I was 'spooning' it into the machine, as I couldn't actually 'spoon' the batter at all! It was like thick tar, way too solid. The cake was like something you could knock someone unconscious with when it was cooked. I followed the recipe to the letter, and the proportions are the same for the butter cake on the same page, so if it's a typo, they've done it twice. Anyone else find this and have a solution?

John Gallen
John Gallen

I have not tried baking cakes in the Panasonic but from past experiences the actual baking time cycle on all bread making machines is too long this is why your cake is coming out similar to a house brick. I have stuck to using my electric oven for the best results. Check cooking times for the size of the recipe your mixing and adjust your cooking times using the + plus and - minus symbols on your menu settings for your cake. Hope this helps.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Kiwi, thank you for your question in relation to the chocolate cake. Our technical specialist has tested the specific recipe today and didn't experience the results you did. The batter was a good consistency (a little thicker than some mixes), and the cake came out very well. Our customer service team do thank you for raising your question as we have all enjoyed chocolate cake for morning tea! Please let us know if you experience any issues on your next attempt.

Saddle Saw

Sounds like you might be beating your flour too long? Cream your butter and sugar REALLY well, and for a long time until it's pale and the sugar is completely dissolved. The eggs can be dropped in one at a time only after your butter and sugar is dissolved and super pale and creamy. Beat hard once the eggs are combined. There should be no flour in there at all during this process. At this point I also add vanilla and milk and wet ingredients (after eggs before flour). Check egg sizes because small eggs will not provide enough moisture and binding.

When it comes to adding the dry ingredients, mix then together first in a separate bowl, and you want to wet and combine/blend on a SLOW speed, not a high speed whisk. Or your flour goes tough, and your cake will be like a rock. This part can even be done with a wooden spoon or a hand whisk. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference :)

ennoh

ennohasked

I bought this breadmaker so that I could make gluten free bread for my son - and the bread I make is sensational. Its a fabulous machine. Now my son thinks his problem is that he is yeast intolerant - does anyone know if I can make yeast free bread in the breadmaker? I dont have a sourdough starter. If it is possible to make YF bread in the Panasonic SD2501, would someone please give me a recipe?

The Watcher
The Watcher

You can buy a sourdough starter from any good bread speciality shop. In WA Big Bubble is great and has lots of alternative flour mixes. It may be, that like me it is bleached white flour is the problem for your son. I recommend you try the preservative free mixes and maybe buy a pack of of alternative flour mixes (they come with yeast ) and try them out. I have never tried making yeast free (unleavened bread) there is a recipe in the instruction book!

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Ennoh, thank you for your enquiry. Our recipes include yeast as this is what assists the bread to rise in the breadmaker. You could try recipes that don't include yeast and kneed it in the breadmaker and try the oven to cook the bread.

Deeasked

Just replaced my old Breville breadmaker and purchased a Panasonic SD-2501. I am happy with it except that the display is not illuminated. Is this normal or do I need to activate it? I am finding it very hard to read, especially at night. Thanks

Hi Dee ,I must admit I didn't take any notice until you asked, .so I checked mine it didn't light up as say but I had no trouble reading it.
If your concerned about it maybe you should contact Panasonic to find out ,perhaps that's why you have to pay for the pricey one to get more bells and whistles but I have to say its a great product maybe you could a brighter light where you are using it . cheers Annie

Dee

Thanks for your reply. I am very happy with the quality of the bread, but do miss my illuminated display and glass viewing window in the lid of my old Breville machine.
Thanks Dee

Sallyasked

i have recently purchased the Panasonic SD2501 breadmaker and am still "tweaking" the recipes.
Baking the Sundried Tomato and Parmesan Loaf, following your instructions, the loaf comes out collapsed ontop and moist in the centre. I've reduced my water additive to 250mls, without success.
Any other suggestions?
Sally S. from Melbourne

ninkasi

Sounds like the dough is over rising - this can cause the loaf to collapse and make it more dense. If you're using my basic recipe I tend not to add salt - you may want to add a pinch. You can also try reducing the amount of yeast you're using - not all yeasts are the same, so maybe drop it by a quarter of a teaspoon and make sure the yeast isn't mixing with the liquids during the initial resting phase. The liquid from the sundried tomatoes, assuming they are in oil, might not help with the moistness - can also try drying them on paper towel first.

Other thing you can do is increase the amount of flour, but I'd do the above (a little salt, a little less yeast making sure it doesn't contact the liquid early, and dry the tomato before using) first.

Good luck!

Thank you, I'll let you know how I go. Sally S

Sam
Sam

Hi Sally, in my experience too much yeast is likely from what you describe.
Yeast is very different in quality, is different at sea level to altitude and is different with everyday temperature.
Reduce by 1/4 teaspoon at a time.
Using high quality flour is; in my opinion, paramount and I use very warm water, sometimes straight from the kettle.
I add approx 1/2 cup of good olive oil to every loaf over and above the recipe. The improvement is incredible and you normally enjoy sandwich bread on the second day of baking.
All the best.
Sam. Canterbury NZ

Sheila

Sheilaasked

Can I open the lid while it is cooking?

Yes you can

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Sheila, please contact our customer service team on 132600 and they will assist you.

Shane

Yes. No problem. Although any temperature variation as a result of opening the lid may cause your loaf not to cook properly and banging the lid closed may cause the loaf not to rise properly

Kadek

Kadekasked

Hi just got my new bread maker Panasonic sd 2501 tryed it for the first time once the bread was cooked and took it out found that the flour was not mixed in from the sides and bottom of the pot and had the top of the bread with 5mm of none mixed flour on it can anyone tell me y this is going on y does it not mix off the sides of the pot

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Kadek, it is difficult to answer this question without knowing more about the steps you took and the products you used. Please contact our customer service team on 132600 to discuss further.

Fleur

Fleurasked

Hi, A recipe question, I have just replaced my older bread maker with the DS-2501, and looking at your Panettone recipe the NZ version has dried milk powder, but the OZ version has liquid milk, I live in NZ and would prefer to use liquid milk rather than powder milk, is this possible and if yes, are there any adjustments to the quantities for the other ingredients? Look forward to hearing from you, many thanks

Shane

Sorry, can't help you there. I haven't ever made panettone.

samiam

Hi, just follow the Aus recipe.

lizzzz

lizzzzasked

I follow the recipe in the book included for 2 different breads and they both are not quite cooked enough. The inside is still a little dense in the centre and the crust is only very lightly brown. Is this a common problem?

Shane

Yes. I find this happens from time to time. I put it down to the fact that I measure my butter by eye and my water content can vary by 10-20mls. I also push the machine a bit harder by using 650g flour and 500mls of water. I also only use 1tsp of yeast and a combo of flour; 500g wheat flour and 150g of either rye or spelt. Hope that helps!

samiam

Is it a setting where you can change the crust? We have never had a problem.

rayasked

I had an old pan b/maker for 24 years without a hitch, full pan loaf using ready made mix plus water yeast, it expired, I bought a SD2051 , used the same mix on the 4 hour cycle and produced !/2 pan size loaf. I contacted the flour supplier and he said use the n0 2 menu, 1hr 55 min, the loaf is okay but does not get anywhere near the top of the pan , very disapointed. The book states only 1 recipe for pre prepared mix anthat is the 2 hour menu. What is wrong?

Shane

Hi. No idea. I don't use pre-mixed. I don't think the machine is really designed for that. The ingredient order for non pre-mixed says that the yeast must go in first, then flour and lastly water. On some of the menu options, you can choose loaf size. Would this help? If the bread is not overly dense, then I would suggest the pan is capable of more pre-mixed ingredients. Sorry I couldn't help more.

ray

Thanks, I guess I will have to try the recipe in the handbook.

Dee74asked

Does this model bread maker have any way of increasing the beeping sound level which indicates the loaf has completed cooking? My BM has such a quiet beeper!!! Never hear it! Frustrating:-)

Jacquie
Jacquie

No. Not that I'm aware of. I know what you mean though, as it's very hard to hear.

Beekay
Beekay

I set my watch alarm. Can’t hear the beeping from the bread maker either

Dee74

Thank you! I now know it's not just my machine - most annoying 'tho - a design fault I presume.

Get an answer from our members and Panasonic representatives