How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

If you're a regular driver, a good car insurance policy can grant you peace of mind. With so many providers and policies on the market, dipping into the policy pool can be confusing. Use this guide for tips on how to find the best, cheapest car insurance for you, whether comprehensive or third party.

Read now

1.8

Let me keep it simple, do not deal with this insurance company. They will make you pay when it comes to making a claim.

I have been with PD for several years. When it came to making a claim, they tried every excuse under the sun of why they can't fix all that was damaged in an accident.

Steve

SteveCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Dodgy pricing

Checked insurance quotes on behalf of my wife on Compare the market for Volkswagon Golf we are about to purchase, PD Insurance quote came up for $462.07 but when it directed me to their site I filled in the details & the quote came to $898.46.
We are rating 1 drivers with no claims, no lost points on our licences, no age constraints & current comprehensive insurance.
I can only suspect that this is a scam or a lure to get you on their site & possibly buy a policy, but why would you as it turned out they had the most expensive policy.

Marina 42

Marina 42Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Couldn't even get a quote

I tried to obtain an online quote. New X5 BMW and their system would not let me put in a value within their suggested range. I gave up. Hopeless system which says a lot for the Company

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes

Greg Perry

Greg PerrySouth East Queensland, QLD

My experience dealing with PD has been excellent.

PD's premiums have always been much lower than the competition, and I always compare at renewal time. But the real test of an insurance company is their performance when you need to make a claim. A few weeks ago I was tail-ended by an uninsured driver while waiting in traffic. The impact wrote off my car. I phoned PD from the crash scene and they organised a tow-truck immediately. My car was assessed, the claim paid out, and I was in a new car within two weeks. The consultants at PD were always polite and kept me informed at every stage. My experience with PD over the years has been excellent.

Claimant is the policy holder Yes
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Car ModelMitsubishi ASX XB

Worst insurance agent ever

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

If you like your car..... insure it with someone else!

I lodged a claim after hitting a kangaroo, after over a month waiting for PD Insurance to approve the assessment from the smash repairers, and after lots of calls following up from me, they denied the claim based on a previous claim I didn't tell them about...…. a no excess payable windscreen repair (I didn't even know this counted as a claim on my history) from my previous insurer. End of the day if you want to have your car covered go with someone else...… this looks to be over a $20 000 mistake on my behalf.

Claimant is the policy holder Yes
Claim DateMay 2019

Just hopeless!

Slow response, didn’t want to offer any help being a not at fault claim they were always passing the buck to the someone else, another department or the other insurer

Car ModelMazda 3
yas

yasGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Did not honour the quote to fix damage on my car

My car was in an accident due to no fault on my side. My car was damaged whilst being parked, Police were involved in the incident. Reported to progressive insurance, all repairs authoritied by them. I then proceed to drop my car off to repair and the panel beater informs me progressive insurance is refusing to pay for one part of damage as they felt it wasn’t part of the accident.

Progressive Insurance you had no direct conversation with me about this issue, you authorised and approved all damage to be fixed. You then dishonour and go back on your word. Totally disgusted by this insurances behaviour.

Will not be renewewing my policy with this this insurance organisation who I feel just lie and go back on their word.

Christopher

ChristopherSydney, NSW

Crappy insurance company, stay away. They are cheap for a reason.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Car ModelToyota Camry XV40

Kevin

KevinSydney, Australia

Will not provide comprehensive insurance

Spent 10min filling in their quote asking all sorts of personal details on a new car comprehensive policy, then at very end said would not provide insurance because like thousands of other Sydney people who had car damaged in hail recently. Should have stopped collecting personal details after asking about hail damage at start of questionnaire.

Jae

JaeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Biggest scammers

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Plan covers drivers under 25Yes

TonyHunter Region, NSW

My faith was restored!

I previously wrote a scathing review about my experience with progressive when i had to make a claim after being run off the road by a truck. Since then i had to make another claim after my wife ran up the back of a car in school drop off. Progressive were really good, hassle free claim process, the repairer they used was fantastic, job quoted, approved and repairs done all in 3 weeks. Such a turn around from my initial experience and first claim. Will definitely stay with this insurer now.

worst insurance company

WORST INSURANCE EVER, Its affordable, i give it that. But once you have a claim, and is not your fault! This company is useless, 3 months since my accident happen. My car is still not fixed and claim still processing. Every time i call them, all they say is sorry we cant do anything about it. Sorry, theres not much we can do. WORST INSURANCE EVER, do not use this insurance company unless you 100% guarantee you not going to have an accident. Lol

Sal

SalSydney

Worse insurance company

Worse insurance company
Very dodgy , just taking your money and when it comes to claim they reject it with some nonsense excuses

Paul

PaulBendigo

Used to be good but now AVOID!!

Trying to help

Trying to helpSydney

On the fence

Roza

RozaMelbourne

Denied Claim

I logically thought that if I purchased a full comprehensive car insurance, that my vehicle would be insured should an accident happen, but not with these thieves. A not at fault accident, claim denied, because if I had [name removed] next door driving my car, had a similar accident, progressive would have apparently accepted, but because my husband was driving, claim was denied. The first claims person I spoke to, reiterated four times that excess is higher due to the fact of someone else driving , which I was ok with, but Claim denied? People please take not. DO NOT Go with progressive.

Amy

AmyMelbourne

Avoid at all costs

It’s time to renew my premium and it has gone up by a few hundreds without any claim last year. Rang them asking for a review and they said no further discount so I walked away. Two days later, one of their sale persons emailed me said they can do better and offered me a better deal so I went ahead with that. Contract signed and until they issued the PDF certificate, I’ve noticed they have reduced the Agreed Value. Contacted them again, they didn’t honour what was offered previously blaming a typo. Long story short, avoid at all costs, untrustworthy, check your certificate.

Insurance claim madeNo

It's unbelievable disgraceful insurance!!!

I have been with the company for almost two years, had 2 cars paid full insurance comprehensive and the fist time I had an accident and made a claim they made me go through every loop possible to delay my claim. The cost of the repair from their approved repairer came out to be $4000 and after a few weeks of processing by the assessor. They said that I was cover for $1400!!! I have been left out of pocket to repair my car and it has been over 8 weeks and claim has not been settled yet!!

Terrible customer service

Tried to lodge a claim over the phone. Operator sounded cold and careless. 30 mins on the phone and still couldn't even locate the place of incident.