Listing monitored by Pennytel

rohloffpSouth East Queensland, QLD

Pennytel use only a PART of the Telstra network.

Bought a Pennytel plan for travelling Australia based on them using the Telstra network. What a MAJOR disappointment! VERY poor coverage away from the east coast of Australia. They claim to cover most Telstra service locations but we found very, very little coverage, and they are not transparent about it! My partner has a plan direct with Telstra and she gets coverage when my Pennytel plan most ties doesn't. DO NOT rely on a Pennytel plan for travel around Australia. Based on experience, they only service the east coast. Am searching for an alternate provider.

Graham
Graham

Disappointed

Unfortunately I had a issue with the sim card. Kept cutting out during calls and sim kept on resetting. Was told to clean sim card which I did but didn't change the outcome. Switched providers to Felix which I've had a awesome outcome with. In switching I was only a couple of days into a new month. Still getting charged the whole $30 which is poor form.

Mark Bibby
Mark BibbyCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Very poor reception.

Using the Telstra network you would expect the same coverage but no because Telstra only sell a portion of their signal, not 100%.
Had to change back to Telstra to get a signal strong enough in Alfredton to be able hold a conversation with out drop outs. Same with data we had to use WiFi from the house to get data.

Zahra A.
Zahra A.

I don’t recommend it at all!

Low signal everywhere! struggling play a video! Awful around CBD and really slow when you go further! I switched to another provider they charged me for another month for nothing!! I complained they said it’s our policy! Don’t recommend this rubbish at all

Mary
MarySydney, NSW

A bit slow

I found that when I am out and about, the data speed can be quite slow. However, the phone connections are good. I've experienced dropouts, but usually when driving hands-free.

PeterD
PeterDMid North Coast, NSW

Inadequate signal strength

At all times the signal strength was at least one bar less than my previous provider. Moved on to iiNet (Vodaphone). Immediate improvement in signal strength. For this reason, I cannot recommend Pennytel.

Lucy
LucyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Had to change immediately the worst service ever! Does not work with Apple imessage!

Had to change immediately the worst service ever! Rang support four times, could not fix the problem. Their system does not work with Apple imessage! This was an essential service I required. Apple support Genius told us PennyTel were not good, they tried it themselves and told us they had to change providers. recommend.

Tips for Choosing a Mobile Plan and Service Provider

Wendy Z.21 Feb 2020
tips-for-choosing-a-mobile-plan-and-service-provider
Top Internet & Mobile Phone Service Providers in 2020!

Wendy Z.22 Nov 2019
top-internet-mobile-phone-service-providers-in-2020

Bungled from beginning to end.

After being sent a sim card I couldn't use (I wanted to transfer my existing phone number, and they sent me a sim with a new number) I called to advise. They sent me a new sim card, which then couldn't be activated due to a technical glitch on their end. I gave up and went with a different provider. I was unpleasantly surprised to be charged for activating the first sim card (the one that I couldn't use). After THREE phone calls I finally got a refund.
Can't think of a worse customer experience to be honest.

Awaysaway
AwaysawaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Poor to no reception and awful message services.

Joined Pennytel bc they said I’d have good Telstra reception. Reception was awful and the arcane 101 missed call message system is useless in today’s world. Went back to TPG.

jp88Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Forget them, move on to another Telco

Don't expect any service whatsoever. The don't reply to emails, or "contact us' forms in their website. And these days thier deals are not outsanding. As well as that, they throttle the connection.

jp88

No worries, ported out already.

gerrard6Illawarra, NSW

I initially reviewed Pennytel on joining them and rated them a 4.4 but after being with them now for several years feel like I need to update my review. If you have a problem they don't want to know you. When you log an issue you get a ticket number so if you do not hear from them you can chase them up with this number - after 3 email requests for an update on the issue still not a word from them. If you are looking for service go elsewhere.

gerrard6

Ticket 441338 - have also requested several times online for an update on this ticket as well as my direct emails requesting an update.

leave it for another 5 years

coverage went out and stayed out for 10 days, not really good enough, i switched to another tried and operating carrier, not yet up to capacity in my area, would leave of joining in my area till the carrier becomes better know

Omar
OmarVictoria

Needs improvement

Classical scenario where I was low on data and they literally couldn't provide me with any solution.
I was 2 weeks away from my rolling date, and low on data. They could only provide me with 1GB top up on my 18GB plan, which is basically useless. Otherwise I would have to wait 2 weeks. They had no way to change my rolling date to be any sooner or to find a work around which is a bit silly for a modern operator. Disappointed, despite waiting on the phone call for them to talk to their specialists etc, as I expected better customer service.

Dreadful Customer Service

Network has been down for 5 days and despite multiple calls and emails there has been no resolution. Not our handsets as they work at the next town. Why can’t Pennytel do some decent troubleshooting with Telstra to fix the issue? There appears to be no tech savvy staff on the help line. Stressful when trying to stay in touch with family in hospital.! Service has been faultless for 18 months, but 5 days off air is unacceptable, now transitioning to another provider.

0417851232 and 0402552618

Hi Paul,

Thank you for this. I will look into this today for you.

klubearGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Nope.

I changed provider because I struggled with Optus signal ... ..now signal is worse!! And just to add insult to injury after submitting a query regarding this I am now left with out a phone service god knows why!
My payment details are recorded on my account. ...yet they have not used it..instead barred me. I can't even call to fix it!
I'm a single mum, have a chronic illness I'm and injured. I cannot be without a phone!
When I get time I will be changing providers.

I CAN'T CALL!!