Pentair Rebel

See the Best Suction Pool Cleaners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Useless tile tyre - class action required

You can still see the ads on YouTube saying it works on tiled pool. The fact that they released a "tile tyre" means it won't work on tiled pools. I bought the new tiled tyres. Useless after 2 weeks. If there is a class action on this pool cleaner, sign me up.

Purchased in November 2017 for $600.00.

Wall and Step Cleaning

Faulty after 5 months and waiting over a month for warranty repair / replacement

Worked well for 5 months then one wheel stopped turning so it just cleaned a small circle in the deep end. Returned under warranty and still waiting after a month.

Purchased in February 2019 for $495.00.

Not for TILED POOLS

Purchased for us as a gift. The supplier claimed you could watch it all day waiting for it to clean a certain spot. I’ve tried everything and I cannot get it to leave the deep end of the pool. Lacks weight, grip and quality!

Cleaner fail

My cleaner started going around in circles i was told to replace the tyres and did so, still no good. They sent me another cleaner that broke down after only 8 months. Won't cover under it warranty and the only explanation is that it is a water problem !!! OH DEAR DID IT GET WET !

Purchased in July 2016 for $680.00.

Not Good

Bought the Pentair Rebel over 12 months ago, first one had to be replaced due to a bearing issue with the wheels. Replacement worked great for a few months, now it just cleans in one area of the pool. I've adjusted flow, backwashed, just done everything to get it to work properly. Won't climb walls as it shows in the promotional video, clearly not good for tiled pools, this should be stated on the product packaging, so that consumers are aware before outlaying hundreds of dollars on a product that is not fit for purpose. Very disappointed.

Purchased in December 2017 for $550.00.

Disappointing.

Ran well for the first 12 months then started spining on the spot. Rang manufacturer who claimed to of never heard of the issue. Went back to Pool and Spa Warehouse who explained it happens often when the gear or cogs start to wear. They swapped wheels from left to right which fixed the problem for about 3 months. Started doing to again so back to the pool shop who said the main driveshaft needed replacing. $35 not covered by warranty as its wear and tear. The unit is all plastic cogs so if wear is not covered the 3 year warranty is BS. 2 months later it spins again back to pool shop to replace smaller driveshaft for another $35. Would not purchase again. Warranty is worthless. I wondered why the rep suggested the Zodiac over this one at time of purchase.

Purchased in November 2017 at Pool and Spa Warehouse Physical store.

Pool Size Small
Small Debris Cleaning

This product is useless in lap pools.

Useless in lap pools. Only cleans one end, then swirls and stays down that end. My pool shop said there may be a swivel device to stop the twirling and twisting. Expensive and useless.

Purchased in January 2019 for $700.00.

useless

the rebel pool cleaner is absolutely useless on tiled pools. even with the heavier rubber tyres. it has absolutely no traction . it is impossible to get any suggestions on what to do

Purchased in November 2018.

worked well in first year but now experiencing problems

first year had no issues Worked quietly and reliable. Won't climb tiled pool wall or steps although did do the floor perfectly. after about 1 year stopped covering whole pool and stayed around the deep end only. had a new unit sent out under warranty and cleaner worked well however 3 months later having the same issue with cleaner only doing deeper half of pool.

Purchased in October 2017.

Pool Size Average

2 years on and still loving it.

This little cleaner is simply amazing, it has worked 6 hours a day, 365 day a year for the last two years without a single issue until about two weeks ago when it started cleaning in circles. A quick removal of the lid identified one of the main pins holding the gears had worked its way out causing the drive gears to strip. I took it back to my local pool shop and they sent it away for repair under warranty and yesterday I picked up a brand new replacement. You can’t complain about that for customer service, boy am I impressed. So today it’s back in the pool quietly doing its thing. I would buy another one in a heart beat, a really great product. I’m using it in an in ground pool with a liner. It covers the whole pool area and picks up everything but large sticks.

Purchased in February 2017 for $490.00.

no good on tile pool

will work OK for awhile but gets stuck while trying to climb walls of pool the advert for the vac says that it is good in tile pools but all the experts say that it is not it is very misleading to advertise and it should be addressed to stop people spending money on something that that the makers know won't work As I understand it know they are sticky tyres available now at about $80 surely by bringing them out it's an admission that people who bought these vacs were ripped off In my opinion

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Awesome pool cleaner

I have had this for over 12 months and it’s the best cleaner ever on concrete pool with pebble finish
Amazing results and never stops
Just had to increase flow to climb walls
Too many words too many words too many words too many words too many words too many words

Date PurchasedNov 2017

I recently switched to a Pentair Rebel and have absolutely no regrets.... it was easy to setup

My pool is enclosed by a lanai so most of the debri is small but it goes over the raised drain with ease. It sometimes will tip on its side while cleaning the sides but it always rights itself fairly quickly. I am very pleased with the Rebel’s performance so far.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Set and Forget

I wanted a cleaner that does a better job on big leaves etc. than conventional suction side 'vacuum' cleaners - I've had a Zodiac, a Kreepy and a cheapo Bunnings (which actually wasn't bad). But I baulked at the price of a proper robotic cleaner (~$1500) and as a compromise I bought this Rebel at around $500. Despite having a fairly small looking orifice, it can pick up almost anything and has never 'stalled'. It's a set and forget deal, and my pool has never looked better.
It's silent and looks well built. I can't speak to its longevity, having had it less than a year, but I think I'd happily pay for any parts it does need in future, given that it does such a great job.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great cleaner BUT

We purchased this cleaner in Nov 2016 after using a Barracuda which would never cover the whole pool and got stuck in a corner. There is no question the Pentair Rebel is a great cleaner. It covers the whole pool and is quite in operation. However a couple a weeks ago it started only cleaning a small area of the deep end because it was constantly turning. Rang the pool shop where purchased and they said gears will be worn. Took it back and was repaired under warranty with new gears, wheels and tyres. Was ready for pick up in 3 hours and now works perfectly again. When I purchased there was no negative feedback for the cleaner but it seems the gears are it’s achilles heel. I am now expecting it to go another 2 years but by then it will be out of warranty and require it seems at least a $150 kit to repair. By then the rest of the machine and hoses will be 4 years old so it may be time to buy a new cleaner. If this is the case the Rebel will have given 4 years of excellent cleaning, albeit with a warranty repair for $500. For me this is average performance hence 3 stars. For cleaning ability alone this is a 5 star cleaner but it comes at a cost. if yours fails in the warranty period insist it is repaired for free.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

WARNING - WILL FAIL after 18 months - within 3yr. Warranty.

REBEL cleaner worked well for 18 months then just stopped. Yours, given the multiple reports of exactly the same thing in the reviews below, will most probably also fail - for no apparent reason. Pentair (Onga) took over 5 weeks to address my warranty claim, then put in a repair kit and tried to charge me ($175), but my local authorized dealer/ service agent insisted that, given how long it took Pentair to address the claim, it would be done at Pentair's expense, not mine - and it was.
This product is sold with a "replacement only" warranty for 3 years. Under Australian consumer protection laws you have a LEGAL RIGHT to demand and get a NEW REPLACEMENT UNIT if the unit fails for normal wear and tear for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase. That is exactly what a warranty is for. Other reviewers who have reported having to replace parts at great expense before 3 years should have insisted on their rights to have the unit REPLACED (as I should have), but at very least, had any parts required provided to them for free - as I did. This pool cleaner cleaner has a materials or design fault which causes them to fail (despite whatever wear being difficult or impossible to see by me or my dealer) and PENTAIR are fully aware of it, but seem resistant if not unwilling to be upfront about meeting their obligations under LAW to honour the 3 year REPLACEMENT ONLY Warranty under which the product is sold. Customers should INSIST, then immediately lodge a claim with the consumer affairs ombudsman. I hope my repaired cleaner at least lasts another 18 months, so at least I get my money's worth (minimally). Apart from that, it does the job - and quietly.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Its ok

Had this cleaner for 2yrs now, it does a great job in my fiberglass pool. .... BUT..... Be prepared to buy replacement gears. Ive just had to order my second drive shaft. Seems to be a huge week point on the vacuum. Next time i will change to a somthing a little more robust.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Don't buy

Great pool cleaner to begin with untill you have to buy spare parts lasted only 12 months before cogs and tyres are worn out and need replacing....
Cost to replace these is ridiculous never will i buy another cheaper and easier to buy a cheaper pool cleaner every year if it lasts 12 months and a whole lot less hassle.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

initially worked well

the cleaner worked well for the first year but it keep getting stuck by the stairs. The constant rotation of the tire as it was trying to climb the stairs wore out the treads. I replaced the treads ($50) and now the cleaner only circles the drain. i have tried several adjustments and i cannot get it to clean anywhere but around the drain.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Works well till the moving parts stop failing

One of the aspects I have thrived in whilst working on projects is looking at current formats and procedures and enhance or improving or replacing these systems with easier or more effective methods by developing new systems and procedures. There are a lot of good reviews here but I would be interested to speak to these people after 2 years.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

My Rebel frequently ends up on its side, one wheel laying flat against the pool bottom and the other touching nothing. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

My Rebel suction pool cleaner was working perfectly from new (purchased in December 2018) but it has now decided to try and climb out of the pool which leads to it loudly sucking air and causing issues with the pump and filter. I have added water to the pool and adjusted the pressure gauge to lessen the suction pressure slightly and also moved the weight on the hose a little further up the hose away from the unit. Seems to have worked so far but just waiting longer to see if I have succeeded. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Roy.
Mine was so useless in a tiled pool I got rid of it.

I contacted the manufacturer as the barrel of the rebel pool cleaner was just doing tiny circles in the pool.They were really helpful and sent me a new replacement barrel.under warrenty. My problem is now the climbing out of the pool by the barrel and at different times the screaming noise coming from the filter valve.No matter how many times I have adjusted it...works great for a couple of hours then starts to climb out or scream.I have always checked the troubleshoot page and correct water level in pool...its doing my head in...any suggestions greatly appreciated. puchased November 2018.new barrel replaced May 2019.

Pentair Rebel