Pentair Rebel

• Pool Size
Brian

BrianSouth East Queensland, QLD

Rebel 2 not what it is made out to be

We required a new pool cleaner, Rebel 2 was recommended to do the job required, leafy pool clean and a cleaner that could climb walls, to start with it did not work, we did a back wash, measured flow and checked all instructions and we have a cleaner that works.
Further comment from above, after running the cleaner for a while now, we have had to replace the pump and chlorination cell, with new improved water flow the cleaner work as it should, it does the job as intended and our has not looked this good since it was built 13 years ago.

Purchased in January 2021 for $550.00.

Brad RoweSouth East Queensland, QLD

A Great Start but something is happening ?

For about 6 years i put up with my Zodiac MX8, pulling it out everytime it stopped with a medium sized leaf and every year replacing the running parts in it as the gears broke down on a regular basis. I asked the people at the pool shop for something with less moving parts and sucked up medium sized leaves without jamming. He sold me the Pentair Rebel 2 about 10 weeks ago now and it has not stopped, no jamming, got the suction right so it doesnt go too fast, very simple with running parts but just over the last week I have noticed that it likes hanging out in the deep end more than the higher shallow, it does not seem to like the sloping pool floor as it races down the hill and does not like going back up, will keep you posted on this.

Purchased in December 2020 at Captain Nemo's for $550.00.

BobSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not good

Cost 800 worked well for a while until it decided to go round in circles. Got a replacement under warranty and a repeat of above antics. Solution now appears to be for me to buy a tune up kit for about 140 as the warranty was not extended on replacement. Not a cheap pooi cleaner.

Purchased in January 2017 at Poolsmart for $799.00.

Michael

MichaelNorth Western Region, NSW

Not good!

When it worked, it was pretty good at removing most debris from the bottom of the pool. The first problem was that it had a very hard time climbing the walls (only about a 60 deg. angle) and if it did manage to get up, it got stuck on the safety step. The more annoying issue was that it would just stop - it seemed like the gears didn't mesh correctly and jammed. I had to manually free them by turning the wheels; it would make a clunk sound then start working again. This was a daily occurrence. It got to the point where I was spending more time fixing this than just manually vacuuming. Ended up returning for a refund.

Purchased in October 2020 for $450.00.

KJW

KJWSouth East Queensland, QLD

Two years on, still going strong

Has been by far the best I've owned. We have an oval-shaped pebblecrete pool, surrounded by trees. Plenty of leaves of all shapes and sizes go in, but it deals with them no problem. Finally stopped covering the whole pool recently after two years of solid daily use. Drive shaft was worn. Replaced using tune-up kit. Away she goes again, good as new. Couldn't recommend more.

Purchased in September 2018 for $599.00.

Wall and Step Cleaning

Poorly designed plastic drive - don't buy.

Purchased in July 2019 for $525.00.

Unhappy

UnhappySydney

Rubbish don’t buy this product

Broke down after 8months requires $150 parts to fix, told not under warranty. The warranty is a joke the cleaner is worse. These pool companies should hang their heads in shame. But I forgot, they don’t care as they are making $$$$$ out of suckers like me.

Julian M.

Julian M.Perth, WA

not for me

I purchased a Rebel 2 approximately four weeks ago and find it moves around the pool ok but has no brushes and doesn't scrub the surface of the pool so algae forms on the side walls. This never happened with the old creepy crawly. I was also disappointed to read in the instructions only after I has purchased it that it was only meant to run for two hours a day which is a bit annoying as the filter runs for at least double that as I am sure most pool filtration systems do. For me this cleaner is a waste of money and I have taken it out of the pool and gone back to my old creepy crawly.

Purchased in November 2020 at Best Price Pool Equipment for $599.00.

Unfortunate downgrade

I had robot for 15 years which I had to replace. My pool server recommended the Rebel, and after three months I can report the following major design flaws:
1. It get stuck on the drain cover. The cover is completely standard, obviously the designers did not leave any margins for installation. The previous robot never had this issue.
2. It requires strong suction or it does not move. Very inefficient, especially if you have one of those multi speed pump and you want to save energy.
3. It climb the walls and get stuck there.

Overall it surface coverage per time is very low and a lot of debris stay many days , get blackened and rotten.

Purchased in May 2020 for $465.00.

John

JohnRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Very Happy with Rebel 2

I originally had all sorts of issues with the Rebel 2 not working but realised I was missing the hose float, I went back to the store & once I put on the hose float it works great. It has great suction & climbs the walls. It’s a really good quality built product & easy to access the internal components if you need to change any worn parts in the future. Lots of spare parts available also in case anything needs replacing.
The service from Pentair was really good also. They pointed me on the right direction to fix the issue I was having with the set up. Who knew the hose float was so important.

Purchased in September 2020 for $600.00.

Keith

KeithSouth East Queensland, QLD

Working beautifully

This cleaner is a new one, replacing an old creepy crawly. It is actually the second one, the first one failed after about 6 months, but Pantair simply replaced it, which was excellent. Since it's been replaced, it's performed perfectly, way better than our old one.

Purchased in September 2019 for $699.00.

Steve

SteveSouth East Queensland, QLD

great pool cleaner

this pool cleaner i have had a little over 3 years... as all others the shaft to the wheels wore out...im not going to continue to use it or buy the so called tune up kits ect..to expensive im looking for other cleaners now

Purchased in January 2016 for $500.00.

Adso

AdsoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Least Worst of all the Pool Cleaners!

Purchased in July 2019 for $550.00.

bryan s.

bryan s.Perth, WA

Good cleaner wears out the gears too easily

Had this cleaner for 2 years, cleans the pool really well and never gets blocked, as a pool cleaner, I would give it 5 stars. I have given it 3 stars is that I am now on the third internal shaft, they wear easily and means the teeth on the inside of the wheel don't catch and the cleaner just spins in a circle. The replacement kit costs $150 (shafts, wheels) , I have had to buy another 2 shafts (left and right) at another $80, which means that I am spending $130/years in parts (which seems a lot to me), the material of the shaft needs to be made from something that doesn't wear as much. The photos show the wear on the shafts on the end.

Purchased in December 2017 for $448.00.

Steve

SteveSouth East Queensland, QLD

Easy to install. Works like a dream.

We bought the REBEL 2 Pool cleaner about 6 months ago after struggling for 12 months with the cheap ALDI cleaner. It cost a bit more, but it has a good warranty and all the parts are simple to replace (everything wears out eventually). My local pool shop (who I trust) has sold heaps of the earlier model and in the new model they have fixed up a couple of the small problems. It was very easy to install....just a bit of playing around with the pressure valve thingy....and it has been faultless so far. It will get stuck if you leave certain kinds of sinkies in the bottom of the pool.

Purchased in October 2019 for $499.00.

My Pentair Rebel circles around the pool drain

My Pentair Rebel for the past 3 weeks just circles around the pool drain ( deep end) I pull it alway to the shallow end, but it just ends back around the pool drain. Any suggestions please?

Brett

BrettSouth East Queensland, QLD

Works really well for us

We have a 9m x 4m pool. Never really happy with the other type of creepy suction cleaner, never did a good job. Finally purchased the Rebel 2 and this has answered all our questions and concerns. Drone photo

Purchased in December 2019 at Mr Pool Man for $500.00.

Mono

Mono

Fully agree with Ross I.

Would not consider if you have a tiled pool. The wheels on ours just spin when it gets to the wall and can be in the same spot for several minutes. We have to manually take it to the shallow end where it doesn't stay for long as the Rebel 2 cleans just over half the pool. Very disappointed and our old Kreepy Krawly did a better job.

Purchased in November 2019.

Raingod

RaingodPerth, WA

Our pool has never been so clean

After spending more and more money to try to get our old Kreepy Krawly pool cleaner to stop tying itself in knots and sitting in one place in the pool, we gave up and bought a Pentair Rebel 2 from Poolwater Technologies (Sorrento). Bob gave us a demo in our concrete pool with a vinyl liner. It worked well and sucked up the leaves and long fronds from cordylines so we decided to purchase it. Bob then made adjustments to set it up correctly for our pool which I believe is critical for best performance. It's been in for 10 days now, is completely silent and our pool has never looked so clean. I highly recommend the Pentair Rebel 2 and the service we received from Bob at Poolwater Technologies (Sorrento).

Purchased in January 2020 for $770.00.

Ross I.

Ross I.

Don't buy if you have tiled pool, even with tiled tyres

Bought Rebel 2 with tiled tyres and it wouldn't even go to shallow end.
Tyers just spin and cleaner barely moves around, its just to slippery for it.
Ended up with Zodiac Manta replacing my Zodiac G2

Purchased in January 2020 at Pool and Spa Warehouse Online store for $550.00.

Ali R.

Ali R.asked

My rebel doesn’t clean the pool as well when the cover is on and the hose gets tangled what should I do

Noelene

Noeleneasked

I bought a rebel 2 for x/mas & it was perfect for about 3 weeks & now it only cleans the top half of the pool, I have tried changing the hose lengths around but it makes no difference, how do you fix it ? Regards, steve.

Brad Rowe

Hi Steve my Rebel 2 since xmas is still going great, have you contacted your pool shop or Pentair direct, I would be interested if mine started doing this but have you installed the buoncy piece at I think 600mm from the unit on the hose?

Hi Noelene
Seems to be a common complaint. They will sell you a tune up kit - if this is better quality than the rest of it - who knows. I declined and bought another cleaner which seems OK.

Katrina

Katrinaasked

My Rebel 2 just keeps in one spot against the pool wall no matter how many times I move it. The baskets are clean and back washing done

ddw
ddw

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a serious design flaw with these things. The gear teeth on the left wheel are not pushed far enough into the ring gear on the outer portion of the left wheel (inside) to work for more than a few weeks. It does not take long for it to get to where the right hand wheel is the only drive wheel, so it just sits in one spot.

This is a design fault that has to do with the cam and follower sizing that changes the left wheel direction by forcing the geared shaft into either the inner ring or the outer ring of the left wheel. Pentair should be ashamed to have released these into the market.

If you still have warranty, take it back to Pentair or your installer. I am on my 3rd one in about a year. They are total junk, but as long as they keep replacing them, I will keep using it.

Next one will be the Zodiac MX8. May not be better, but certainly couldn't be worse.

CategorySuction Pool Cleaners