Pentair Rebel

Not Good

Bought the Pentair Rebel over 12 months ago, first one had to be replaced due to a bearing issue with the wheels. Replacement worked great for a few months, now it just cleans in one area of the pool. I've adjusted flow, backwashed, just done everything to get it to work properly. Won't climb walls as it shows in the promotional video, clearly not good for tiled pools, this should be stated on the product packaging, so that consumers are aware before outlaying hundreds of dollars on a product that is not fit for purpose. Very disappointed.

Purchased in December 2017 for $550.00.

Disappointing.

Ran well for the first 12 months then started spining on the spot. Rang manufacturer who claimed to of never heard of the issue. Went back to Pool and Spa Warehouse who explained it happens often when the gear or cogs start to wear. They swapped wheels from left to right which fixed the problem for about 3 months. Started doing to again so back to the pool shop who said the main driveshaft needed replacing. $35 not covered by warranty as its wear and tear. The unit is all plastic cogs so if wear is not covered the 3 year warranty is BS. 2 months later it spins again back to pool shop to replace smaller driveshaft for another $35. Would not purchase again. Warranty is worthless. I wondered why the rep suggested the Zodiac over this one at time of purchase.

Purchased in November 2017 at Pool and Spa Warehouse Physical store.

Pool Size Small
Small Debris Cleaning

This product is useless in lap pools.

Useless in lap pools. Only cleans one end, then swirls and stays down that end. My pool shop said there may be a swivel device to stop the twirling and twisting. Expensive and useless.

Purchased in January 2019 for $700.00.

Large Debris Cleaning

useless

the rebel pool cleaner is absolutely useless on tiled pools. even with the heavier rubber tyres. it has absolutely no traction . it is impossible to get any suggestions on what to do

Purchased in November 2018.

worked well in first year but now experiencing problems

first year had no issues Worked quietly and reliable. Won't climb tiled pool wall or steps although did do the floor perfectly. after about 1 year stopped covering whole pool and stayed around the deep end only. had a new unit sent out under warranty and cleaner worked well however 3 months later having the same issue with cleaner only doing deeper half of pool.

Purchased in October 2017.

Pool Size Average

2 years on and still loving it.

This little cleaner is simply amazing, it has worked 6 hours a day, 365 day a year for the last two years without a single issue until about two weeks ago when it started cleaning in circles. A quick removal of the lid identified one of the main pins holding the gears had worked its way out causing the drive gears to strip. I took it back to my local pool shop and they sent it away for repair under warranty and yesterday I picked up a brand new replacement. You can’t complain about that for customer service, boy am I impressed. So today it’s back in the pool quietly doing its thing. I would buy another one in a heart beat, a really great product. I’m using it in an in ground pool with a liner. It covers the whole pool area and picks up everything but large sticks.

Purchased in February 2017 for $490.00.

Large Debris Cleaning

no good on tile pool

will work OK for awhile but gets stuck while trying to climb walls of pool the advert for the vac says that it is good in tile pools but all the experts say that it is not it is very misleading to advertise and it should be addressed to stop people spending money on something that that the makers know won't work As I understand it know they are sticky tyres available now at about $80 surely by bringing them out it's an admission that people who bought these vacs were ripped off In my opinion

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Awesome pool cleaner

I have had this for over 12 months and it’s the best cleaner ever on concrete pool with pebble finish
Amazing results and never stops
Just had to increase flow to climb walls
Too many words too many words too many words too many words too many words too many words

Date PurchasedNov 2017

I recently switched to a Pentair Rebel and have absolutely no regrets.... it was easy to setup

My pool is enclosed by a lanai so most of the debri is small but it goes over the raised drain with ease. It sometimes will tip on its side while cleaning the sides but it always rights itself fairly quickly. I am very pleased with the Rebel’s performance so far.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Set and Forget

I wanted a cleaner that does a better job on big leaves etc. than conventional suction side 'vacuum' cleaners - I've had a Zodiac, a Kreepy and a cheapo Bunnings (which actually wasn't bad). But I baulked at the price of a proper robotic cleaner (~$1500) and as a compromise I bought this Rebel at around $500. Despite having a fairly small looking orifice, it can pick up almost anything and has never 'stalled'. It's a set and forget deal, and my pool has never looked better.
It's silent and looks well built. I can't speak to its longevity, having had it less than a year, but I think I'd happily pay for any parts it does need in future, given that it does such a great job.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great cleaner BUT

We purchased this cleaner in Nov 2016 after using a Barracuda which would never cover the whole pool and got stuck in a corner. There is no question the Pentair Rebel is a great cleaner. It covers the whole pool and is quite in operation. However a couple a weeks ago it started only cleaning a small area of the deep end because it was constantly turning. Rang the pool shop where purchased and they said gears will be worn. Took it back and was repaired under warranty with new gears, wheels and tyres. Was ready for pick up in 3 hours and now works perfectly again. When I purchased there was no negative feedback for the cleaner but it seems the gears are it’s achilles heel. I am now expecting it to go another 2 years but by then it will be out of warranty and require it seems at least a $150 kit to repair. By then the rest of the machine and hoses will be 4 years old so it may be time to buy a new cleaner. If this is the case the Rebel will have given 4 years of excellent cleaning, albeit with a warranty repair for $500. For me this is average performance hence 3 stars. For cleaning ability alone this is a 5 star cleaner but it comes at a cost. if yours fails in the warranty period insist it is repaired for free.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

WARNING - WILL FAIL after 18 months - within 3yr. Warranty.

REBEL cleaner worked well for 18 months then just stopped. Yours, given the multiple reports of exactly the same thing in the reviews below, will most probably also fail - for no apparent reason. Pentair (Onga) took over 5 weeks to address my warranty claim, then put in a repair kit and tried to charge me ($175), but my local authorized dealer/ service agent insisted that, given how long it took Pentair to address the claim, it would be done at Pentair's expense, not mine - and it was.
This product is sold with a "replacement only" warranty for 3 years. Under Australian consumer protection laws you have a LEGAL RIGHT to demand and get a NEW REPLACEMENT UNIT if the unit fails for normal wear and tear for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase. That is exactly what a warranty is for. Other reviewers who have reported having to replace parts at great expense before 3 years should have insisted on their rights to have the unit REPLACED (as I should have), but at very least, had any parts required provided to them for free - as I did. This pool cleaner cleaner has a materials or design fault which causes them to fail (despite whatever wear being difficult or impossible to see by me or my dealer) and PENTAIR are fully aware of it, but seem resistant if not unwilling to be upfront about meeting their obligations under LAW to honour the 3 year REPLACEMENT ONLY Warranty under which the product is sold. Customers should INSIST, then immediately lodge a claim with the consumer affairs ombudsman. I hope my repaired cleaner at least lasts another 18 months, so at least I get my money's worth (minimally). Apart from that, it does the job - and quietly.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Its ok

Had this cleaner for 2yrs now, it does a great job in my fiberglass pool. .... BUT..... Be prepared to buy replacement gears. Ive just had to order my second drive shaft. Seems to be a huge week point on the vacuum. Next time i will change to a somthing a little more robust.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Don't buy

Great pool cleaner to begin with untill you have to buy spare parts lasted only 12 months before cogs and tyres are worn out and need replacing....
Cost to replace these is ridiculous never will i buy another cheaper and easier to buy a cheaper pool cleaner every year if it lasts 12 months and a whole lot less hassle.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

initially worked well

the cleaner worked well for the first year but it keep getting stuck by the stairs. The constant rotation of the tire as it was trying to climb the stairs wore out the treads. I replaced the treads ($50) and now the cleaner only circles the drain. i have tried several adjustments and i cannot get it to clean anywhere but around the drain.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Works well till the moving parts stop failing

One of the aspects I have thrived in whilst working on projects is looking at current formats and procedures and enhance or improving or replacing these systems with easier or more effective methods by developing new systems and procedures. There are a lot of good reviews here but I would be interested to speak to these people after 2 years.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

disappointed with Pentair Rebel

I've had my Pentair rebel cleaner for a little over 2 years. Worked fined but the problem started when the parts started to wear. Will be retiring cleaner due to the outrageous cost of parts and would not recommend buying this cleaner. Again the rebel did a good job of cleaning pool but the cost of parts make it to costly to replace parts.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Works really well

Bought this product about 2 months ago to replace a Baracuda style cleaner. Pool is a regular rectangular shape, in ground concrete pool. Really easy to fit and set up and with a few minor adjustments on the suction valve to allow it to climb the walls sufficiently, it was cleaning the whole pool. Would recommend it.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Can't do stairs.

I've had this cleaner for just over 18 months and it's great on the pool floor and to about half way up the walls. I've got 3 entry steps and a step on the other side for sitting or standing on. I bought the rebel on recommendation from our pool shop. We had a robotic cleaner but it did after a couple of years. The rebel was cheaper than a robotic cleaner so I decided to give it a go. After a couple of weeks it was noticeable that the stairs were dirty. I had to manually clean them and have had to since. I've changed the settings and moved the float etc but the stairs remain dirty. Wouldn't recommend this if you have stairs.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Best pool cleaner for our pebblecrete pool.

We have had our Rebel pool cleaner for just over 6 months and it has worked beyond our expectations. We have a lot of gum trees close to our pool on our neighbours side and this little guy just smashes the leaves like there is no tomorrow. When we brought our house it came with the normal zodiac type pool cleaner that we had to fix/coax to work every day. This little guy is set and forget and frankly worth every cent. The only to we need to do is manually get branches out of it but we would have to do that with any pool cleaner so to us it is a non issue. We can not recommend this enough and are going to buy another one in case they stop making them! Please don’t stop making them!!

Date PurchasedJan 2018