97 questions from our users

Georgina

Georginaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

What are people paying per month without these 'free months' inducements? I did an online quote for 2 free months and just got a phone quote for 3 free months and the premiums were different ie. you pay more for more free months. Effectively there are no free months as the loss is added onto the premiums.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Georgina. The two months free is spread over the 12mnths contract to give you savings each month. The three months free is 3mnths upfront, then normal premiums for the remaining year. I hope this has helped? Have a lovely weekend. Feel free to send me some contact information and I can have a policy expert reach out.

Dani

Daniasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Can you briefly explain the excess? If I have a $200 excess does that mean it is not worth claiming anything that is less than $200? How does that work with routine care?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Dani. Thanks for reaching out. There is no excess on Routine Care. You can choose your level of excess ($0, 100, $200). The Excess applies per Condition per Policy Period and will be deducted for the benefit. I hope this has helped? Please let me know if you would like a PIA Policy Expert to reach out via phone. Have a great day.

gigit

gigitasked

Pet Insurance Australia

When you submit a claim, would the following year's insurance premium increase a lot? If so, what is the percentage of increase?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Gigit. Thanks for reaching out. Our premiums will increase from year to year, and there is no exact amount set. It depends on various situations. Every year, we review the cost of everyone’s insurance with regards to a combination of factors as well as claims inflation across all our insured pets. Increases in our claims costs due to increases in the range of available veterinary procedures, or due to increased take-up of those services, impacts everyone’s premiums.

Your premium takes into account the average cost of care for pets like yours. To provide an example of this, a pet parent with a three-year-old French Bulldog will be affected by the trends we see in our data from hundreds of three-year-old French Bulldogs that we insure, as well as the specific claims history of their own pet.

I hope this has been of some help? Please let me know if you would like me to have a PIA Policy Expert reach out. Have a lovely day.

Janine T.

Janine T.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi PIA, can you advise if a claim is made does the premium go up in cost?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Janine. Thanks for reaching out.

New policies
Your premium is calculated using a combination of factors about you and your pet. These factors can affect the premium amount up or down depending upon whether we believe it increases or decreases the risk to us, such as the cover you have chosen, the excess selected, the benefit percentage applicable to the cover you have chosen, where you and your pet permanently live, your age and the species, breed, gender of your pet, the current age of your pet, the age you first insured your pet, and other factors related to our cost of doing business.

Renewing policies
Factors that are taken into consideration for renewal premium calculation include your pet’s age, breed, location, duration for which your pet has been insured, claims history, as well as data relating to the health of pets that are a similar age and breed. Each year we review premiums based on these factors to ensure we can accommodate the costs of possible treatment up to your annual benefit limit, in the event that your pet becomes injured or ill.

I hope this has been of some help. Have a great day.

Georgina

Georginaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Unfortunately my phone reception is very bad at home. Surprise surprise I get cut off just as I was about to add my second pup to an already existing policy. Your employee has tried to call back several times going straight to voice mail. After waiting 20 minutes I call back. Get a different person who now tells me, we have to go through the WHOLE process again. Why isn't there an option to add another pet online? So so disappointing, and now I have to wait :(

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Georgina, I'm sorry to hear about this. Do you have your policy number handy and I can get one of my team to give you a call asap. You can add your new pet online, just ensure you add all the same details like email, address, and owner names, and the system will recognize this and add the multi-pet discount. All pets have their own unique policy number and are grouped together in families. I hope this has been of some help. Have a lovely week.

Melissa88

Melissa88asked

Comprehensive Cover

Your PDS states IVDD is covered by illness cover, not just accidental. It stipulates that the illness portion of the cover must be listed on the Certificate of Insurance, but my certificate just has the cover name (Comprehensive cover) which IS for accidents and illness.
Without referring me back to the PDS (which hasn’t answered my question) is IVDD covered with your comprehensive cover? Thankfully it isn’t an issue for my pup, but before I renew my insurance I would love a clear answer.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Melissa, yes IVDD (Intervertebral Disc Disease) is generally coverable under the illness portion of the policy. As long as your precious pup has shown no signs or symptoms prior to your policy starting. I hope this has been of some help. Have a great day.

Allisonasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have had my dog insured with PIA for 6 years and have had nothing but great interactions. Can I ask about any exclusions of cover now that she is getting older? The vet has mentioned cruciate disease.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Allison. I hope your lovely golden oldie is doing well. You can have a Pre-authorisation done before they go ahead with CL surgery to ensure the condition will be covered. Generally speaking, CL conditions are coverable under the Pet Insurance provided it is not a pre-existing condition and the condition did not show signs/ symptoms within the waiting period (6 months for CL) or before the policy commences. I'd love to pop you in contact with a PIA Customer Service Representative so we can look into your policy and organize the pre-authorization? Can I please have your policy number? Thanks, have a wonderful day.

Allison

Thank you but I don't know whether an op is recommended yet or whether I would choose to go down that road. I really only wanted to be sure that after all these years of paying premiums, that my dog is still covered for the same things that she has been covered for previously.

Rikki-Lee C.

Rikki-Lee C.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have a 1 year old puppy we’ve adopted (cocker spaniel) and she has possible potential for hip dysplasia
I’m wanting to take out pet insurance but as it’s pre-exisiting I’m wondering if this is something you would still be able to cover- she’s only been for 1 scan at awl and it was potential but needs re-scan soon as she wasn’t 1 when she had the scan initially

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Rikki-Lee, thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, this would be classed as a pre-existing condition as there are possible symptoms. However, you can apply for a pre-existing condition review after 18 months provided your precious Cocker Spaniel is symptom/ sign free but that does not guarantee the pre-existing condition will be lifted. I hope this has been of some help. Have a wonderful day.

Jan R.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hello, I have a 3yo female japanese spitz who is having a ACL op on monday, If we are to insure her and another ACL requires treatment or an operation si that second one covered.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jan, I'm sorry to hear of your Japanese Spitz ACL surgery and I hope she is doing well.  Unfortunately, this would fall under our bilateral conditions. This means any Condition affecting body parts of which the Pet has at least two, one each side of the body (e.g. ears, eyes, knees, cruciate ligaments). Note: When applying a Benefit Limit or exclusion, a Bilateral Condition will be considered a single Condition. For example: if your Pet displays clinical signs of a cruciate ligament Condition in the left leg prior to the Commencement Date of the policy or during the Waiting Period, Vet Expenses for a subsequent cruciate ligament Condition in the right leg will not be covered. I hope this has been of some help. Have a lovely day

Jan R.

Please call me in regards to my claim as she did not have crucial but I am trying to claim dome costs back please call me on 0413333464 or Janet on 0400871437 thanks kindly mark

Hi Jan, Can I please grab your policy number? Thanks

Dev

Devasked

Pet Insurance Australia

How does the claim process work with Pet Insurance Australia?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Dev, sorry for the delay this message has only just shown up. You can choose a few ways to claim. If you choose a GapOnly vet you only need to pay the gap and the vet will do the rest (for a list of vets close to you take a look at www.gaponly.com.au). However, you can choose any registered vet in Australia, and then claim for the reimbursement via the pet portal on our website. For more information take a look at our website here - www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au I hope this has been of some help. Have a wonderful day.

Felicity A.

Felicity A.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi there, do your policy cover hip dysplasia, elbow dylplasia and patella luxation?

lynda
lynda

Yes, as far as I know, as long as it wasn't a pre -existing condition.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Felicity, we certainly do cover for these conditions in the illness section of your policy, as long as there are no prior symptoms to taking out the policy. The cover for these conditions will be subjected to caps and limits.

All of our claims are looked at on an individual basis, however, if a condition has shown signs or symptoms prior to coverage, than it may be excluded as a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition may be reviewed 18 months after the policy has been kept and may possibly covered, provided it has shown no signs or symptoms within this time.

After this timeframe if you wish to have the condition reviewed we do have a Pre-existing Condition review form further information can be found in our Product Disclosure Statement on page 25 under “Pre-Existing condition review”. I hope this has answered your questions. Would you like me to have a PIA Policy Expert reach out? Thanks, have a great day.

Aya T.

Aya T.asked

Hi there,

Is there any waiting period for routine care cover? I have 3months old pup and thinking to get De-sexing when he is about 6 months old. If I apply now, can it be covered? (Also final pup vaccination is scheduled in 2 weeks time)

Aya

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Aya, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner I've only just been altered to this question.

No there is no waiting period on Routine Care Cover. Thanks, have a great day.

Chris

Chrisasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If I had Major Medical Plan with 0 excess for my Staffy pup how much would I get back with her annual vaccinations & desexing

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Chris. Thanks for reaching out. Routine Care Cover is included in the Major Medical cover and will assist towards routine care items that are essential to your pet’s health such as vaccinations, deworming etc.

$50 ANNUAL BENEFIT FOR ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
Alternative therapies
Prescription diets
Dew claw removal
Cremation or Burial
Dog training at a recognised training centre

ANNUAL BENEFITS FOR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING
$30 Vaccinations or Health Check
$10 Heart worm test or Blood screen
$10 FeLv/ Fiv test or urinalysis
$45 Flea/ Tick/ Worm control

ELIGIBILITY
For Major Medical Cover only

I hope this has helped. Routine Care also has no excess.

Kerry C.

Kerry C.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Are my pups vaccinations claimable?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kerry. If you have a Major Medical Plan with PIA you get a $30 annual benefit towards vaccinations. I hope this has helped? Have a wonderful day.

Fiona

Fionaasked

Comprehensive Cover

I have the Comprehensive cover for my Dachshund since the beginning of February 2019 and I wanted to know if IVDD is covered if my dog has not shown any signs prior commencement or recently?

Princess
Princess

Hi Fiona just call them and ask them..

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Fiona. IVDD (Intervertebral Disc Disease) is generally coverable under the illness portion of the policy.

The policy does not cover any Pre-existing conditions prior to the policy commencement or any signs or symptoms that have occurred during the Waiting period.

IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) is also excluded on any accidental injury cover (so make sure you read the PDS and ensure you understand exactly what your precious pups are covered for and what your policy allows - you can find this here - https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/important-notices/

PIA's assessment of known issues with specific breeds (e.g. bad backs) are taken into account in the premium calculation. IVDD is covered in our Major Medical Policy. Hope this helps.

mark

markasked

Pet Insurance Australia

i tried to enter in my dogs details and will not let you proceed unless your dog is pure breed my dog is a cross breed and no one not even the vet knows what she is a cross of.she is a chimera only a dna test can tell what the breed is which i will get done in the future.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Mark, thanks for reaching out. If you pop in the main breed of your dog (or just write cross into the search) you can find a breed that best represents your dog's crossbreed.

For example, if your precious pooch is a Labrador mix, you can pop in Labrador Cross. I hope this is of some help? Thanks, have a great day.

Rogerasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi - if my dog was to become unwell whilst in a registered kennel (not directly under my care, but someone I authorised to look after him) does your insurance cover the Illness? I read in your PDS the dog has to be under my direct care, which obviously wouldn’t be the case.

We go overseas a couple of times a year, so this is crucial for us.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Roger, thanks for reaching out. I'll just check with my Policy Experts and get a detailed answer for you soon. Thanks, have a wonderful day.

Roger

Thanks, I will wait for your response.

Any update on this?

Aaron S.

Aaron S.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, I don't currently have pet insurance, but i'm wanting to get some. My dog is 8 months old and the vet suspects he may have hip dysplasia. He hasn't had an x-ray yet so it is unconfirmed. Will this be considered a pre-existing condition, even though there is no official evidence?

Laura
Laura

No it wont be covered as your vet would have written notes on your file and it will be classed as a pre existing condition.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Aaron, unfortunately yes. As it is suspected by your veterinarian it will be considered a pre-existing condition. Would you like me to have a policy Expert reach out? Thanks, have a great day.

Gavin K

Gavin Kasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have two dogs now. My first dog Oliie is insured with RSPCA but i am a little frustrated with them. Have had him since he was 8 weeks.
Adopted a 6 month old same breed and need to insure him. My only issue is that if i cancel my insusrance on RSPCA for Ollie you wont cover his pre existing conditions - a little bit of allergies.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Gavin, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your current pet insurance provider. Unfortunately this is true - any conditions that Oliie has been seen for will be considered pre-existing. In our PSD it states; If any symptoms or signs of a Condition occur or the Condition exists in any form prior to insurance or during the applicable Waiting Period, then it will be considered to be a Preexisting Condition and it will not be covered. You can find more about our policies at our website www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au or read our Product Disclosure Statement for all the info about pre-existing conditions at https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/PIA-PDS-eff-2018_06_29_Online.pdf thanks have a lovely day

lauren m.

lauren m.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Would you cover a rescue Chihuahua? - Considering full medical history before 5 years cannot be obtained - Let me know

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Lauren, most certainly! At PIA we simply adore adopted pets. We understand that any information before you took ownership is not possible, so at PIA we only require the full vet history from the day you took ownership of your beloved Chihuahua. PLUS: proof of when you took ownership (from the shelter etc). Please let me know if you would like a policy expert to give you a call. Thanks, have a great day.

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives