97 questions from our users

Roger

Rogerasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Do you cover a dog ingesting Nurofen or similar? Obviously no one plans for this to happen, but pets are scavengers and I have read articles that this is on the rise.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Roger. PIA does generally cover intoxication or vomiting due to ingestion so long as you have illness in your level of cover and you have already adhered to the 30 day waiting period for the illness cover.

RMo

RMoasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi there, I have a rescue dog so have no vet history other than the vaccinations the RSPCA gave her until I adopted her at 14 months of age when I took her to the vet for a checkup and final vaccination. Will this cause difficulties if I need to make a claim in the future? Also, where can I see a full product description for the policies ?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi RMo, thanks for making contact. At PIA we simply adore rescue pets. You will only need to have the vet history from when you took ownership of your precious pup. You can take a look at our website for all the policy details at www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au thanks, have a wonderful week.

Blanco cooktopasked

Pet Insurance Australia

My pets are in their 9th year. I have been with Prosure since they were pups. Does that matter?
Are your call centres overseas. Are you part of the Hollard group?

Robyn R
Robyn R

?????

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Blanco, that's unusual as we had answered this but it doesn't seem to be showing. Sorry about this. As the policy will be a new policy all pre-existing conditions would be considered. As a new policy, after the age of nine your pets are only eligible for Accident Only cover with PIA. Yes PIA is a part of the Hollard group. I hope this has been of some help, have a lovely day.

Thankyou.

Blanco cooktopasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Are your call centres overseas. Are you part of the Hollard group?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Blanco Cooktop, hope you are well? The policy would be considered a new policy so any pre-existing conditions would apply. After the age of nine, your pets would only be eligible for accident only cover, and not illness. Yes, PIA is a part of the Hollard group. Hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you want me to have a policy expert reach out with a call. Have a great day.

Anne W.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Our 2 year old rescue dog got hit by a car when he was still in foster care before the adoption. He had to go to the vet and got transferred to the clinic for emergency ultrasound and xray because of internal bleeding. He was on medication to stop the bleeding, which luckily worked straight away, and on pain killers for a bit. The internal bleeding was found to be coming from the spleen. He is totally fine now (the accident was before Christmas 2018) and no further treatment was necessary. Would this be considered a pre-existing condition if we start a policy now? Would we need a statement from the vet saying that he is healthy and doesn't have a any remaining conditions from this accident?
Please don't send a generic answer, I have read the terms and conditions but the wording on the pre-existing conditions is pretty vague from my point of view. Thanks!

If your fur baby has any issues connected to this accident, even years down the track, All insurance companies will class it as pre existing. This is exactly what the assessors are looking for to be able to reject a claim.

Anne W.

That's kinda exactly what I'm thinking...so really no point paying for insurance if they are going to reject my claims anyway...

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Anne. Sorry for the delay i've just seen this pop up. If the internal bleeding occurred again in the pet due to the previous motor vehicle incident injuries it would generally not be eligible for cover and bee seen as pre-existing on the Policy , but if the internal bleeding arose due to a separate condition to the motor vehicle incident then it may be eligible for cover so long as the condition is not pre-existing on the Policy which is having signs or symptoms before the Policies start date or within the applicable waiting periods which are a 30 day waiting period for illness and tick paralysis conditions and a 6 month waiting period for Cruciate ligament conditions.

Also in relation to the statement or letter from the vet, we would not require this since it will be outlined in their veterinary notes if a new incident of internal bleeding occurred the reason of the occurrence.

If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to email PIA. Thanks, have a great afternoon.

Susie K.

Susie K.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have a 15 week old puppy. When i first brought her home she developed diarrhoea in the first few days due to change in diet and anxiety due to the change. After taking her to the vet, she was fine after 3 days. She also had the beginning stage of an ear infection so I got medication for that too.
My question is; will the diarrhoea and ear infection be a pr existing condition?

Hi Susie,

We’re sorry to hear your new pup has been unwell, and we hope she’s now on the mend.

A pre-existing condition is defined as a condition that has presented first clinical signs and symptoms prior to the start of your coverage. Since the ear infection occurred before she was covered, this would be considered pre-existing if it were to reoccur in future since she would have demonstrated a pre-disposition for this particular condition before she was covered.

Gastro-intestinal problems may be a little different, as there are many different things that can cause an upset stomach in puppies. If the pet had a similar bout of gastro-intestinal problems, and this is linked to the issues she has recently had, we would also be unable to cover the treatment. However, if, for example she ate something toxic and exhibited diarrhoea in future, this would be generally coverable.

We do have a process to review the pre-existing condition exclusions once the policy has been in place for 18 months and no further problems have occurred. The form for this can be provided on request, by contacting our Client Services Team on 1800 043 552.”

Please let us know if you require any further information.

Ros

Rosasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Does your insurance policy cover IVDD?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Ros. The policy does not cover any Pre-existing conditions prior to the policy commencement or any signs or symptoms that have occurred during the Waiting period. IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) is also excluded on the accidental injury cover only policies (so make sure you read the PDS and ensure you understand exactly what your precious pups are covered for and what your policy allows - you can find this here https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/PIA-PDS-eff-2018_06_29_Online.pdf). PIA's assessment of known issues with specific breeds (e.g. bad backs) are taken into account in the premium calculation. IVDD is covered in our Major Medical Policy. Hope this helps.

Lily D

Lily Dasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I am going overseas and leaving my dog with a friend to look after for 3 weeks. If she would need emergency care/ treatment during that period would my friend be able to put the claim in on my behalf and inform the vet that the dog is comprehensively insured under your company ? Thanks

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Lily. You can add your friend as an Authorised person on the policy. As an Authorised person, they can submit claims on behalf of the policy holder and also inquire about claim status and outcome. However, the Authorised person cannot make any changes to the policy. Hope this helps. Have a great Christmas

nice_monkey

nice_monkeyasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Does your dog policy cover 3rd party liability?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi nice_monkey. PIA pet insurance only covers for the medical requirements of cats and dogs and not liability. Thanks, have a lovely day.

Tania T

Tania Tasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Does your insurance cover snake bites?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Tania. We most certainly do. Would you like me to get a PIA policy expert to give you a call?

Michelle M

Michelle Masked

Pet Insurance Australia

Are your call centers in Australia or are they sent offshore?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Michelle, we have call centres overseas and in Australia. Thanks, have a great day.

Alycia W

Alycia Wasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi I read the PDS under the We will not pay section and this included ingestion of a foreign object. Does this mean I am not covered if my dog eats something he shouldn't?

Hi Alycia
The Product Disclosure Statement specifies that we will not cover more than one ingestion of a foreign object in the same policy period. It is still eligible for cover under the illness cover, as detailed in Section 3 of the PDS.

What this does mean is that we can only reimburse the costs associated with surgical removal of a foreign object once per 12 month policy cycle. We could still potentially cover consultations relating to ingestion of a foreign object on a second occasion within the same policy period, provided surgical removal was not required.

We can also cover these kinds of incidents again once the policy had renewed.

I hope that this has answered your questions, however if we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me again. Thanks, have a lovely weekend.

Anita

Anitaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I recently adopted a 9 weeks kitten, thinking of getting her a pet insurance. she hasnt got desexed or microchipped yet and also had one shot done. What plan of insurance cover these costs?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Anita. Major medical plus routine care is the only plan available if you want to claim on routine care. However, routine care capped benefits would apply as follows:

$50 Annual Benefit Limit for any ONE of the Following:
Cremation/Burial
Council Registration Fees
Alternative Therapy
Behavioural Therapy
Dog Training at a recognised facility
Obedience Training

Plus Annual Benefits for the Following:
$30 for Vaccinations or Health Checks
$10 for Heartworm Tests or Blood Screen
$45 for Flea/Tick/Worm Control
$10 for feLV/Fiv Tests or urinalysis

Hope this helps, have a wonderful day.

Silvia FP

Silvia FPasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, I am thinking of getting the Major Medical Plan for my dachshund puppy (9 weeks old) and I can see that “routine cover” is covered but can you tell me what it’s included? Also I do not see anything relating to Desexing. Would that be covered? Thanks Silvia

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Silvia, Routine Care Cover is included in the Major Medical cover and will assist towards routine care items that are essential to your pet’s health such as vaccinations, deworming, de-sexing etc. You can find out more here. https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/our-cover-options/routine-care-cover/ desexing is under our genereal exclusions as it falls into the 'Elective Procedures', however with the Rountine Care Cover you can claim an annual amount towards this. Hope this has helped. Thanks, have a wonderful afternoon.

Sarah

Sarahasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi PIA. I'm interested to know if my dog is sick and requires x-rays, will these be covered?
And will the costs of the x-rays still be covered if the condition is determined pre existing? Hoping it's just the treatment of the pre- existing condition, rather than the treatment and diagnosis. Thanks

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Sarah, sorry for my delayed response. If a condition has been deemed pre-existing then any treatment, medication or visits for this condition will unfortunately also not be coverable. However if the condition is coverable under the policy then the treatment, medication or visits are also generally coverable. Thanks, have a great day.

Ange

Angeasked

Pet Insurance Australia

My dog has recently had surgery and had to have a tibial plate inserted in his left leg. I know this would be considered as a pre-existing ondition if i was to go with you, but is there any chance that this will be waived after 18 months with being with you, or is it that only for things that haven't been in surgery for? thanks

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Ange, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about this. I had a good meeting with my team over this and unfortunately they have advised that they would not be able to provide a definite answer on this one as each pre-existing condition is reviewed case by case. As the claims team would need to evaluate the pet’s full vet history and would need further information on the specific condition itself when reviewing it they would not able to provide a definite answer on this case at this stage. Sorry about this, however if you took out a policy with PIA we could explore the options once all the information was received. Thanks, have a great day.

john

johnasked

Pet Insurance Australia

if my dog got diarrhea at 3 months old. And I apply for this insurance at 1 year old. Will it be considered as the pre-existing condition?

jessica

I'm not sure about this as being pre-existent condition. It was an episode which was treated. For me 'pre-existent' condition is something that your pet still is suffering from at the time of taking on the insurance. Why not call the PET to be cleared of your doubts before committing.

Hi John,
The general terms of the policy are if there are any signs or symptoms of a condition prior to the commencement of the policy it will be deemed pre-existing.
However, if the you proceeds with the application and there are no signs/symptoms of this condition for 18 consistent months you can apply to potentially have this removed. I hope this has helped. Have a great afternoon.

Andrew P
Andrew P

Don't trust the PIA response, they use pre-existing conditions to get out of paying claims, just read all the reviews. Even if the "condition" is caused by two totally separate issues!

Kelli

Kelliasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If my pet goes to an emergency clinic your pds states that it will pay only the fees of a regular vet clinic. How are these fees calculated if the clinic is an after hours only practice?

jessica

My pet has a comprehensive cover level. He went to a emergency pet hospital on a Sunday for his hotspots. I got 80% back from the bill which included his Pharmacy (injections) and Medications. I think the Emergency consultation fee was left out.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kelli, can you please email me your policy number and i'll have someone reach out asap. review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au. Thanks, have a great day.

Sandi

Sandiasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have read many of the reviews. My main concern is complaints regarding refusal to pay for claims and statement's made that the cost of pet insurance significantly rises after 12 months. I am seeking insurance for my 5 month old Cavododdle... I require insurance without the headache of having claims refused.
I await your response.

Hi Sandi,
Sorry for the delay our social media team have been away at a conference. The premium increase after 12 months can be due to the promotion period falling off. For example the 2 or 3 months free, will be spread over the entire 12month period. We have noted this is a concern and we are working hard to find a way to offer the promotional periods without this occurring after 12months. I'd love to put you in contact with a policy expert who can discuss the premiums with you in detail? Please email your contact information to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au. Thanks, have a great day.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Yes our cat's premium went from $32 per month to $45 per month at the end of the first year. Without promotional price it would have been $36. Even from $36 to $45 is a huge increase. I now have a puppy and I don't want to get PIA insurance for her due to this premium jump concern.

kategodden14

kategodden14asked

Pet Insurance Australia

hi there, just wondering if i were to get an accident only cover while my pets are young (1-2 yrs), am i able to change to a comprehensive cover when they are around the age of 5-6 yrs?
thanks

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kate. You are able to change the cover to add illness to the policy as long as your pet is less than 9 years old and the illness cover will be provided until the life of the policy. Please be advised there is a 30 days waiting period for illness conditions and 6 months waiting period for cruciate Ligament conditions (6 months Cruciate Ligament waiting period can be waived upon application). Any conditions that your pet has had before the policy commences or within the applicable waiting periods will be considered a Pre-existing condition and are excluded from the policy. Unfortunately we are unable to add Illness after your pet turns 9 years. Hope this helps? Please email me at review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au if you would like me to get a Policy Expert to make contact. Thanks, have a great evening.

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives