97 questions from our users

Dan

Danasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Two Questions: In your comprehensive cover, consultations and visits are covered up to $300. 1. What type of consultations are covered by this? For example, if my cat ate something he shouldn't have, or he swallowed a bone, and I brought him to the vet as a precautionary measure but nothing turned out to be wrong, would that be covered?
2. The 6month waiting preiod for Cruciate Ligament Surgery seems a bit long, especially as I have just moved into an apartment and am a bit scared of my cat accidentally falling off the balcony. How would one go about getting a vet to waive this 6 month period (and would that bill be covered by the consultations budget?).

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Dan. Thanks for contacting PIA. The $300 consultation fee sublimit is the maximum available for coverage of the consultation fee relating to conditions covered under the policy. If it ends up there was nothing wrong, but they did go to the vet for an incident or condition covered under the policy, so long as it is not related to a pre-existing condition, this consultation fee is generally coverable.

We understand the Cruciate Ligament waiting period is a long time, when you receive the policy documents, included is the Cruciate Ligament waiver form. If you wish to apply to have the 6 month Cruciate Ligament waiting period waived, this form needs to be filled out by the vet within the first 6 months, and be received by us within 14 days of the vet examination, once received the vet’s findings will be reviewed. Hope this has helped. Have a great day.

Mop

Mopasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Do your policy cover for life?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Mop. They most certainly do. As long as you do not change the plan, we will continue to provide cover even after your pet turns 9. Hope this has been of some help. Have a wonderful day.

Ali S

Ali Sasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi. Just for future reference, on the 20/12/2017 my dog ate something wrong and vomited. We went to the vet and he had an injection for nausea relief. He was fine the next day and since then no issues. I bought pet insurance on the 22/12/2017.

Will this one incident be considered as pre existing?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Ali. Sorry for the delay in my response. Each claim is assessed on its own merit, based the pet’s vet history. If there have been signs or symptoms of a condition before the policy started, or during the applicable waiting period, the condition is pre-existing and not coverable. If a condition being claimed is found to be related or resulting to an incident which occurred before the policy started, this would be pre-existing. Hope this has helped. Have a lovely evening.

Shivawnasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, I'm considering moving my policy as my current provider has been a pain to deal with (constantly following them up, and only getting real action once I bought my complaint to PR).

My cat is just over a year old and I have only made one claim - she ate something she shouldn't have, and was ill. A couple of courses of antibiotics and she is now fine.

I would like to know, as they count this as an "illness", if she would be covered still if I move her policy over, or if you would count this as a 'pre-existing' condition.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Shivawn. Sorry for the delay. If you were to commence a new Policy with us, this specific incident would be considered a Pre-Existing Condition as it occurred before the Policy’s commencement date. If a complication relating to this incident occurs during the Policy period or within the applicable waiting periods, this may also be deemed a Pre-Existing Condition and excluded from cover. However, each claim is assessed on its own merit. If your Pet is to swallow a foreign object, and it is not directly related to any Pre-Existing Condition, we will generally cover for this once per policy period, under the illness portion of the policy. However, waiting periods do apply. Hope this has helped. Have a great day.

Hi,

I don't think I would risk it in this case, as it was an accident that could occur again and I honestly don't want to fight another insurer.
My trust in insurance companies is lacking due to my most recent experience. Would prefer a definitive answer, yes this would be a pre-exisiting condition if the exact same scenario occurs.

Jess

Jessasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Where is your contact centre based ?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jess. Sorry for the delay over the Christmas period. We have call centres in Sydney and Manilla. Thanks, have a great day.

Zoe

Zoeasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi PIA, I'm currently looking at many insurance companies trying to decide which one to go with. I've recently added a Jack Russell Terrier Cross into my home who is currently 3 months old. One of my concerns about your policies is no mention of dental care. Small dogs have a reputation for teeth problems as they age, and routine cleaning is not a 100% guarantee that they won't run into trouble later in life, as happened with my last Jack Russell. I was wondering if you could let me know if any dental issues are covered within your policies? Many thanks, Zoe.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Zoe. Sorry for the delay, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Unfortunately we do not provide cover for dental issues as it is general exclusion. If you can find more about our coverage options by visiting our website and clicking on our product disclosure statement. https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/important-notices/
Thanks, have a great New Year.

LSPasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Pet Insurance Australia, I have recently joined after moving from another Pet insurer. Can you tell me if my pet will be covered for life (comprehensive) with this policy, provided it is paid each year? My cat isn’t 2 years old.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi LSP. Most certainly. As long as you do not change the policy and continue to pay your premiums and your cat is under the age of 9 when you signed up, you will be covered for life. Thanks, have a great day.

LSP

Thanks so much, sorry typo above. My cat IS 2 years old. Could you also advise how much premiums are expected to increase per year (average percentage).

sidney.matthews.184

sidney.matthews.184asked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have just adopted a rescue dog and no previous vet records are available how do I claim in a case like this?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Sidney. In such cases, we will need you to provide us Vet history from when they took ownership of the pet. They can provide us with document to confirm when pet was adopted (receipt/ proof of ownership). Hope this helps? If you want I can have a policy expert give you a call? Just email me your details through to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au. Thanks, have a wonderful day

beris

berisasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Can you give me a quote. [email removed]

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Beris. you can head over to our website at www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au for a quote tool. Please let me know how you go. Have a great day.

Meg Sasked

Hi PIA,
We have just found out our french bulldog will require soft palate surgery as she has developed difficulty breathing. We have held our comprehensive insurance with you for 2 years and never had to make a major claim. On calling your team to check if we would be covered we have been told we are not as it is part of the non disclosure section as it's elective, our frenchie never had a pre-existing condition for her breathing and shouldn't this now come under the illness section? As I see above you have kindly told Michelle and Mary they will be covered under this section also.
Could you please provide us with some assistance?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Meg. I'd love to help. Can you please email your policy number and i'll have supervisor contact you asap. review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au thanks, have a great day.

Meg S

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the email address you have provided does not work. I keep receiving an undeliverable messsge once sent. Has the contact email address changed?

Family-Guy77

Family-Guy77asked

Pet Insurance Australia

If our dog has been covered from 6 weeks with another insurance company can we swap cover to you and have cover for her existing conditions?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Family-Guy77. As this would be a new policy, there will be waiting periods, and any condition s where the first signs and symptoms occurred before the policy or during the applicable waiting, will be pre-existing and therefore a general exclusion. I hope this has been of some help. Have a great day.

dolores

doloresasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Please advise routine care cover?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Dolores. Routine Care Cover is included in the Major Medical cover and will assist towards routine care items that are essential to your pet’s health such as vaccinations, deworming etc. Our Routine Care Cover pays 100% of the cost up to the specified limit for each benefit, and there is no excess applicable to this cover. Please see our website at http://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/our-cover-options/routine-care-cover/ for more information on Routine Care and what it covers. I hope this has helped. Thanks, have a great day.

Lisa

Lisaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

My puppy had a sore ear when he was just 10 weeks old. He is now 3+ years old. Would this still be classed as pre existing even though it was just once, and over 3 years ago?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Lisa. Yes it would still be classed as a Pre Existing Condition. However what you can do as per the Product Disclosure Statement, is once you have started the policy, 18 months after taking out the policy, you can apply for a pre-existing condition review as per the PDS excerpt below:

“Pre-existing Condition review
You may apply to us to review a Pre-existing Condition exclusion provided that your Vet certifies and provides (at your expense) veterinary records verifying that your Pet has been free of clinical signs, symptoms or recurrence of the Pre-existing Condition (or any Condition(s) arising directly therefrom) up to the date of receipt of your Review.
Application Form, which shall be no less than a period of eighteen (18) months from the original policy Commencement Date.

Your request for this review must be made in writing after the completion of the eighteen (18) month period using our prescribed Review Application Form. The Pre-existing Condition exclusion(s) shall not be deemed to have been lifted unless agreed to by us in writing. Agreement to lift all or part of the exclusion(s) is at our sole discretion and we are not obligated to provide reasons for declining a request.”

Thanks Lisa. Hope this has helped. Have a lovely evening.

Toobs

Toobsasked

Pet Insurance Australia

My 2yr old Dog has got clear a nose discharge from 1 nostril,I took her to the vet for her annual Heart Worm and they have asked to bring her back in 2 weeks if it hasnt improved. If I join an take her to the vet in 2 weeks will this be considered pre exsisting condition?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Toobs. Unfortunately if there are signs or symptoms of a condition before the policy started, or during the applicable waiting period, the condition will be pre-existing and therefore not coverable. In this instance, if the you were to start a policy, any follow up visits for any condition related to the nose discharge would not be coverable as the condition would be pre-existing. Hope this has helped and I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

NatMelbourne

NatMelbourneasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi PIA, disregarding all other factors which could influence a premium increase, does the premium increase each year in line with the age of your dog?
THanks

Hi Nat,
Thanks for contacting PIA. Premiums generally increase year on year as your pets get older. Unfortunately we don’t have an exact forecast as premiums are re-assessed at time of renewal each year. Hope this helps? Feel free to email me your contact information to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au and I can have a policy expert give you a call. Thanks, have a great day.

JLee

JLeeasked

Pet Insurance Australia

puppy is 2 months old now. If I continue with my insurance for my dog with PIA until and pass his age of 9 years old....is the dog still covered for BOTH accidental and illness ? (providing i do not change the plan details)

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi JLee. Let me just check on this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi JLee. Yes you will be covered. As long as you do not change the plan, we will continue to provide cover even after your pet turns 9.

tracie

tracieasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If join with Pet Insurance will I be covered immediately should something happen to my cat?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Tracie. The Waiting Periods that apply are: 30 days – for Conditions covered under the Illness and tick paralysis sections and 6 months or cruciate ligament Conditions (may be waived on application).Waiting Period means a period starting from the Commencement Date of the first Policy Period during which a Condition that occurs or shows symptoms or signs will be excluded from Cover unless otherwise stated on your Certificate of Insurance. If you send me an email with your contact information I could have a policy expert give you a call to further explain? Alternatively have a look at our policy booklet at
Thanks, have a great day.

Nik Marie

Nik Marieasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If a dog swallows a foreign object is that an accident?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

HI Nik. Let me just look into this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Swallowing a foreign object is generally coverable with our illness cover. Our Accidental Injury cover is quite specific in what it does cover and some incidents that we would associate with being an accident, are assessed under illness with your insurance policy. The list of Accidental Injuries is available in our Product Disclosure Statement and for further details, please call us on 1800 043 552 and we will be more than happy to assist you.

K.L

K.Lasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi I'm looking at insurance for my two six month old kittens (siblings) how does the insurance work? Is it similar to car insurance where you pay an excess as well as monthly fee? Or do you have to pay for the excess and bill yourself as well as monthly premium up front which you are then reimbursed for?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi K.L. Let me just look into this for you in more detail.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Congratulations on your new kittens! Our Pet Insurance is a reimbursement method, meaning that you will pay the bill and put in the claim to be reimbursed. If you do choose to have an excess, the excess would never need to be paid up front as it is deducted from claim benefits received. The excess is applied per condition, per policy period and not per claim so if your pet does need multiple treatments for a condition, the excess will only be applied once for the condition for that policy period. If you do have further questions on our insurance policies, please feel free to call us on 1800 043 552 and we will be happy to assist you.

jayasked

Pet Insurance Australia

How long do you normally take before answering questions to prospective clients?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jay. Is there a question I can help you with?

jay

Yes you can, I sent in a query about a week ago regarding the possibility of wanting to insure my adopted 2yo Amstaff, with PIA.
The query was about pet health history and when you contact the vet etc. I was happy to provide the history up front, or allow you to contact the vet upfront, just so that we did not have any misunderstandings in the future. I still haven't received a reply.
Jay

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jay. Sorry about this, can you please send me your policy number through to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au and i'll get a supervisor to look into this for you. Thanks, have a great day.

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives