97 questions from our users

Peta

Petaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If I insure my puppy now, and keep insure for he's life. When he turns 9 what happens ? Dose the cost go up ?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Providing you do wish to renew your Pet Insurance Policy, your policy would continue to automatically renew on the terms contained in each year’s renewal offer for the life of your pet unless you advise us otherwise. Please be advised that the premium will commonly increase year on year slightly as your pet does get older. Hope this has helped. Have a great day.

dziv

dzivasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have a 6 hear old chihuahua in perfect health, I want to insure her before she gets too old. Will the premiums be calculated on her age or mine? How long is the waiting period before a claim can be made? Do you have a cover that includes annual dental checks and any treatment required? How about health maintenance like annual vaccinations and worm, flea, tick treatments?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, thanks for taking the time to ask us a question. I'm just checking with my pet loving team to get a detailed answer. Have a great day.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Premiums are calculated based on the age, breed and location of your pet and it’s a great idea to insure your pets when they are younger. You are covered from policy commencement for conditions that fall under accidental injury cover (defined in the PDS). There is a 30 day waiting period for illnesses. Our cover is primarily there for unexpected accidents and illnesses – dental and routine treatments are an exclusion. However if you take out the top level of cover (Major Medical), you can choose to add Routine Care where you would be able to claim $50 annually towards teeth cleaning, and $30 annually for a vaccination or a health check. If you send me your contact information I can have a policy expert give you a call? review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au. Thanks, have a great day.

paul

paulasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I need pet insurance. Can you answer why i should use your insurance company given that 74 people have rated you poor or terrible. I have a cat and a dog to insure?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Paul, thanks for contacting PIA. At Pet Insurance Australia, we pride ourselves on customer service and great value Pet Insurance. Pet Insurance Australia were rated 5 CANSTAR stars by CANSTAR Research in 2016 for outstanding value. Unfortunately with online product review sites, consumers are much often more prompted to provide reviews when dissatisfied rather than when pleased with the service they have received. A large number of reviews stem from a misunderstanding of the coverage that was selected. Our Customer Service team is available 8-8pm Monday - Friday to help to provide understanding around our product and coverage to ensure that you feel comfortable knowing what you are and are not insured for to make an informed decision on if the insurance is right for you. If you would like one of our policy experts to give you a call please send me over an email with your contact information to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au. Thanks, have a great day.

Fiona X

Fiona Xasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Do you have a policies for 2 or more pets? I have 1 dog & 3 cats all healthy, desexed & microchipped?
I did an online quote, selected comprehensive cover and was quoted $148 per month. Also 2 cats are brother & sister same d.o.b and their prices were not the same?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Fiona. Each pet is a whole new policy and premiums are calculated using various factors such as the pets breed, age and gender. We do have a multi-pet discount which with 5% off premiums for a second pet, 10% off premiums for a third pet and 15% off premiums for a fourth pet. In regards to the cats with the same Date Of Birth etc. the multi-pet discount is likely the largest contributing factor to the difference in premiums. If you send me an email at review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au with your contact information I can have a policy expert give you a call? Thanks, have a great evening.

Michelle c

Michelle casked

Pet Insurance Australia

My French Bulldog will require soft palate surgery. Will this be covered by his comprehensive insurance?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Michelle, firstly I hope your beautiful Frenchie is OK? If your dog has shown signs and symptoms of elongated soft palate, such as panting/breathing problems, then soft palate surgery are coverable conditions under the Illness Section of the policy only. As long as it is not a pre-existing condition or there were no signs or symptoms of their condition during the applicable waiting period or prior to the policy commencement. If you would like to discuss this further, please send me an email at review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au with your contact information and policy number or phone us on 1800 043 552.

Meg S
Meg S

Hi PIA,
We have just found out our french bulldog will require soft palate surgery as she has developed difficulty breathing. We have held our comprehensive insurance with you for 2 years and never had to make a major claim. On calling your team to check if we would be covered we have been told we are not as it is part of the non disclosure section, our frenchie never had a pre-existing condition for her breathing and shouldn't this now come under the illness section? As I see above you have kindly told Michelle she will be covered under this section also.
Could you please provide us with some assistance?

Aymie
Aymie

Hi Meg, I know it's been a while but what was the outcome?

Marree

Marreeasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If I choose a no excess policy and my claim is for $100 as an example, do I still receive 80% back?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Marree. Thank you for your enquiry into Pet Insurance Australia.
Please note that, with a no excess policy and 80% level of cover, you will receive 80% for eligible Vet bills up to your yearly maximum benefit limit. Please note that this does not apply to Pre-existing Conditions or conditions which are showing clinic signs or symptoms within the applicable Waiting Periods. Please also refer to our Product Disclosure Statement as listed on our website www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au for further details. You will find the Product Disclosure Statement at the bottom of the home page under “General Information” “Downloads” “Pet Insurance Australia Policy Booklet” I hope that you have found this information to be helpful

Kad

Kadasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If your dog has incontinence does the insurance cover anything related to it?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kad. I’m sorry that your dog is suffering from incontinence. Incontinence is generally a coverable condition under the Illness Section of the policy only. It is subject however, to the Terms and Conditions of the policy relating to Pre-existing Conditions and Waiting Periods and any of the exclusions listed under Section 6 – General Exclusions. Please refer to the product disclosure statement which is available on the website. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact us on 1300 855 150 alternatively flick me over and email and i'll have a policy expert contact you. review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au

Voyagevoyage40

Voyagevoyage40asked

Just wondering just adopted a rescue dog she is 5YO Labrador crossed
Had not had any issues but want to know if I can insure her as we don't have her previous medical history

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

At PIA we love adopted pets. The good news is that we only require the full veterinary history from adoption, therefore we will require vet history from any current and previous vets since ownership. This information is to include adoption paperwork/proof of ownership and consultation notes for each visit; these are the veterinarians notes from examination findings and can be printed off for you by the vet, or sent to us directly from the vet. Once we have these notes on file they will remain on record and you will not need to supply these historical records again. If you would like to discuss this further, please send me a message to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au alongside your name and contact details or phone us on 1800 043 552. Thanks, have a wonderful day.

handytoknow

handytoknowasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Up to what age will you insure a dog. I have a labradoodle turning 7 next month and moving into his senior years. He is fit and well but I worry about old age illnesses.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Good Morning, let me just check on this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Once your pet is accepted and as long as you continue to renew your policy, your pet will be covered for eligible Vet Expenses for life. You can apply for Illness cover as long as your pet is over 8 weeks old and younger than 9 years. There is no upper age limit to qualify for Accidental injury cover.
Please refer to the product disclosure statement for any exclusions, which is available on the website. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me on review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au alongside your contact details or phone us on 1800 043 552’

MaryG

MaryGasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I noticed in you PDS that you do not cover soft palate surgery and class it as elective surgery. Is this case even if the dog presents with breathing problems and the surgery is recommended by the vet?

Hi Mary,
If the dog has shown signs and symptoms of elongated soft palate, such as panting/breathing problems, then soft palate surgery are coverable conditions under the Illness Section of the policy only. As long as it is not a pre-existing condition or there were no signs or symptoms of their condition during the applicable waiting period or prior to the policy commencement. If you would like to discuss this further, please send me an email at reivew@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au alongside your name and contact details or phone us on 1800 043 552’.

Lee

Leeasked

do you cover pregnancy?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Lee, unfortunately pregnancy and any related conditions or complications related to pregnancy is a general exclusion. Thanks, have a great day.

Vdog

Vdogasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Do you cover for chronic, recurring or lifelong illness's and medicals?
Also
Do you have a lifetime benefits limit?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Vdog. Chronic condition and recurring or lifelong illnesses are coverable conditions under the Illness Section of the policy only. As long as it is not a pre-existing condition or there were no signs or symptoms of their condition during the applicable waiting period or prior to the policy commencement. Our policies do not have a lifetime benefit limit. If you would like to discuss this further, please email us your name and contact details to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au or phone us on 1800 043 552. Have a wonderful weekend.

juiceasked

Pet Insurance Australia

as i got my current dog when she was 4 , and reading through the reviews , do you ask for vet history only when i have paid premuims and in the event of a claim? or at the start before i sign up? i don't want to sign up find i need to claim and you refuse based on history, i would rather know upfront what exclusions you may throw in.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Juice. Let me just check on this for you.

Hi Juice.
The full vet history will be required upon your first Accident and Illness claim. The vet history needs to entail notes from any current and previous vets since ownership. This information is to include adoption paperwork/proof of ownership and consultation notes for each visit; these are the veterinarians notes from examination findings and can be printed off for you by the vet, or sent to us directly from the vet. Once we have these notes on file they will remain on record and you will not need to supply these historical records again. Please refer to the product disclosure statement for any exclusions, which is available on our website.

juice

So if the dog was given to you what proof of ownership do you need? is council registration, microchip transfer enough?
So to sum up, you could pay premuims for years , make a claim and find that you are not covered because of something years prior , rather than being upfront before you sign up and saying it won't be covered down the track.

Amy

Amyasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I am moving from the Uk to Australia with my two dogs, both aged 4 years. I have recently cancelled their UK insurance. Do I need to provide any documentation to have them insured in Australia and will their "no claims" history count toward anything? Many thanks

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Amy, let me just check on this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Sorry for the delay Amy, I had some email issues. If you could ensure to have the full vet history from UK including all consultation notes , prior to leaving the UK it will make claiming much easier. You do not need to provide any documentation when signing up for the pet insurance policy however when you do lodge your first Accident and Illness claim we will require the full vet history. Unfortunately we don’t consider your ‘’no claims’’ when setting up your policy. Hope this helps. Have a great evening.

Sarah

Sarahasked

Hello,
I adopted a dog from the local shelter, he is roughly 2 years old. As he was picked up by the ranger, and was not registered/microchipped, they weren't able to see where he came from etc; and therefore don't have any medical history (apart from when he started at the shelter - eg. microchip, de-sexing etc). I was wondering if he would still be covered for certain things under the accidents and illness policy as I don't have his history from birth?
I know a few people have given bad reviews because of this issue, so I would like to know what he will be covered for (or not) before I take out a policy.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Sarah. Let me just check on this for you and get you a detailed answer.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks Sarah. Firstly at PIA we love adopted pets! We only require the full veterinary history from adoption, therefore we will require vet history from any current and previous vets since ownership. This information is to include adoption paperwork/proof of ownership and consultation notes for each visit; these are the veterinarians notes from examination findings and can be printed off for you by the vet, or sent to us directly from the vet. Once we have these notes on file they will remain on record and you will not need to supply these historical records again. If you would like to discuss this further, please send me a message to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au alongside your name and contact details or phone us on 1800 043 552. Thanks, have a wonderful day.

Krystal16xo

Krystal16xoasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, I'm wondering if you cover hip dysplasia? My dog doesn't have it but If in the future he does I'd like to know it's covered.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Krystal. Let me just check on all the details for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Krysal. Hip dysplasia is a coverable condition under Illness Section of the policy only. Therefore, as long as they have illness cover, and it is not a Pre Existing Condition or within the With-holding Period then it’s generally coverable.

Kaydence

Kaydenceasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I foster up to 10 cats at a time can I get a general multiple cover?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kaydence let me just check on this for you.

Hi Kaydence,
We don’t provide general multiple cover however, you can take out a policy and add 10 pets on to it.
Discount for Multipet
2nd Pet – 5%
3rd Pet – 10%
4th Pet – 15%
Unfortunately there is no further discount after 4th pet. Hope this helps, have a wonderful day.

Vicki Oasked

Hi There,

I have just bought a major medical policy for our new puppy cavoodle (8 weeks) which covers routine care. He is booked in to do puppy school at the vet starting next week, can the puppy school cost be claimed in this year's annual limit?

Vicki

Hi Vicki. Let me just check on that for you,

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Vicki. I can confirm it is covered under the routine care cover up to $50 annual benefit limit. (Obedience training). Hope this helps. Have a wonderful evening.

Vicki O

My claim for puppy school was just denied by your office saying it's not covered. This is different to your advice above which is disappointing. Could you check & advice further please? Thanks Vicki
Claim ID: 1036497

Jelly

Jellyasked

Pet Insurance Australia

If we have major medical plan for our cat and want him to see an internal organs specialist for a heart issue that we need proper diagnosis for is this covered. Further he has dental issues and I understand that we are not covered for teeth generally, except cleaning. If it is determined that his heart issues are as a result of his teeth issues can we still claim our visit to the specialist.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jelly. Let me just check on this for you.

Hi Jelly,

Treatment of heart conditions may generally be covered under the Major Medical Plan. However if this condition arises as the result of a policy exclusion such as a dental illness then it would also be excluded (Section 6.4.d. on page 21 of the PDS). Have a look at http://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/downloads/ for more detailed information. Thanks, have a wonderful day.

Willow

Willowasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi have you ever evaluated Senior's pet insurance co

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Willow. Thanks for your question. PIA would be able to offer Accidental Injury Cover for senior dogs. I hope this helps. If you would like to speak to a customer service professional I could have someone call you? Just send me your details through to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au alternatively give us a call on 1800 043 552. Thanks, have a great day.

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives