97 questions from our users

Denn1004

Denn1004asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, so you guys do frequent dental checks for puppies/dogs?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Denn, let me just check on this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Denn. Unfortunately dental is a general exclusion under our policies. The Major Medical Policy has an option to add a Routine Care Benefit which can cover $50 annually for teeth cleaning. Hope this helps, have a great day.

lulubelle

lulubelleasked

Pet Insurance Australia

We are looking at adopting a standard poodle this weekend who is being given up because he has grown too big for the family. The dog apparently has vaccination papers but is not yet desexed. If we decide to adopt him, which policy would you recommend for the top cover including no excess, routine care, includes desexing?
Also does the dog need a full checkup by a vet to determine health for the policy?
What are you exclusion policies for any particular breeds or anything else I should know?
Thanks,
Yvonne

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Yvonne. Let me just check on this for you. Sorry for the delay for some reason this has only just shown on the platform. I'll get back to you asap. Have a great day.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks for your patience. There are no exclusions with particular breeds, however if there are signs or symptoms prior to taking out insurance or during the applicable waiting periods, it is most likely deemed a Pre- Existing Condition.
The pet would not need a check-up prior to joining however we generally would require an adoption certificate or some form of communication between the current and future owner so that we would only request history after adoption.

Our Major Medical Cover- which is Accidental Injury, Illness and Routine Care.

Here are the Routine Care limits
Teeth Cleaning
Cremation/Burial
Council Registration Fees
Alternative Therapy
Dog Training at a recognised facility
Obedience Training

$45 for Flea/Tick/Worm Control

Amanda

Amandaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

We have just adopted two healthy 4 y.o. miniature dachshunds. Does your insurance cover any possible back injuries as this breed is known for this. Neither dog has any poor medical history at all. Thanks

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Amanda, let me just check on this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks for waiting Amanda. The policy does not cover any Pre-existing conditions prior to the policy commencement or any signs or symptoms that have occurred during the cooling off period. IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) is also excluded on the accidental injury cover only policies (so make sure you read the PDS and ensure you understand exactly what your precious pups are covered for and what your policy allows). PIA's assessment of known issues with specific breeds (e.g. bad backs) are taken into account in the premium calculation. Hope this helps.

Shona Robinson

Shona Robinsonasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Will you cover a dog that has been adopted? Given that prior medical history is not available?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Shona. Let me just check this out for you.

Hi Shona.
When insuring an adopted pet, we do not require history prior to the adoption of the pet if the history is not available. At PIA we understand the importance of insuring beloved adopted pets.
With that said, pets must still be within 8 weeks and 9 years old to be eligible for a new illness cover policy. Hope this helps? If you would like me to have someone contact you please email through your contact details. review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au

Judy

Judyasked

Pet Insurance Australia

My dog is 9 years old, what cover can I get for her? She is a Mini Dachshund.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Judy. Sorry for my delay in responding. Let me just check on this for you.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Judy. PIA would be able to offer Accidental Injury Cover. I hope this helps. If you would like to speak to a customer service professional I could have someone call you? Just send me your details through to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au alternatively give us a call on 1800 043 552. Thanks, have a great day.

Tballz

Tballzasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, does Pet Insurance Australia cover cruciate ligament tears? When would i have had to sign up for this to be covered. Also, if we sign up before my dogs second crucial ligament tear, will you cover this? Thank you in advance

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Tballz. I'll just look into this for you and get back to you asap.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks for your patience Tballz. Cruciate Ligament Tears are covered by PIA. However, there is a six month waiting period for benefits opposite cruciate ligament damage.
That said, once a new policy is in place, an Insured can get a Cruciate waiting period waiver… if they can get their vet to detail and sign-off the pet’s history, including no prior evidence of cruciate damage. However, as your dog has already had a crucial ligament tear, if you signed up with PIA you would not be covered for any expenses for Cruciate Ligament problems to the affected leg or the other leg as explained in our pre-existing condition clause. I hope this helps. Have a lovely day.

Steph

Stephasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Is the cover reduced (ie the percentage paid) when the pet reaches a senior age? Thanks :D

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Steph. Thanks for contacting PIA. Let me just grab some information for you and i'll get back to you ASAP. Have a great day.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Steph, the great news is that the cover remains the same regardless of the age of the pet.

Hope this helps? If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me or I can have one of our wonderful team-members contact you direct (just send me your contact information to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au). Have a great weekend.

Anthonette

Anthonetteasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I would like to know what routine cover covers and the comprehension plan, does it cover vaccinations, worming or flea treatment. If so does it also get covered 80% of charged fee? Thanks Anthonette Fryer 0422169795

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks for contacting PIA Anthonette. I'll have one of my wonderful sales experts contact you to explain the cover in detail. Thanks, have a great day.

Justine

Justineasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, i am thinking about adopting a rescue dog. She is two years old they think and has had a bit of a sad start to life...she was found dumped....very underweight and had recently had pups. How would this affect a policy if i dont know her history?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Justine, sorry for the delay in responding (been away on holiday). If you could email me your contact information I could have a sales expert contact you who could give you the full rundown on the vet history and policy requirements so we can get your new family member covered. Thanks, have a wonderful day. review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au

Kim

Kimasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Do you cover any pre-existing conditions? My dog has anxiety over thunder and fireworks to the point where she attacked our other dog. The vet suggested Prozac. Would you have a policy that covered that?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kim, thanks for contacting PIA. If you could email me a contact number i'll have one of my specialists contact you asap who could answer this for you. review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au. Alternatively give us a call on; 1800 043 552. Have a wonderful day.

Melissa

Melissaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

How do you claim for annual benefits?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Melissa. If you could send me your policy number and contact details to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au I can get a customer service professional to give you a call asap. Alternatively you can use our online member portal at http://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/ - just click on the on-line member service link, or give us a call on 1800043552. Thanks, have a lovely evening.

Gill

Gillasked

Pet Insurance Australia

My dog has been with PIA since birth. He is 2 years old and now needs a total hip replacement. I know some insurance companies will not pay for this, but will PIA?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Gill. I'm sorry to hear of your dogs misfortune and hip problem. If you could send me through your information (policy number and contact number) to review@petinsuranceaustralia.com.au I can have one of our Customer Service Professionals contact you asap so we can get started on your claim. Thanks, have a lovely afternoon.

Rorky

Rorkyasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Could you please give me a quote for insurance cover for two King Charles Cavalier spaniels aged 3 and 4.I am considering the comprehensive cover.

Hi Rorky,
If you can please contact our professional sales team on: 1800043552 they will be able to give you a quick quote over the phone. Thanks, have a wonderful day.

cooper

cooperasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hi, I insured my dog last year with Pet Insurance Australia. My monthly Premium was $41.12. I have just received my renewal and it has gone up to $64.73 a month. I find this extremely high . I am not very happy and are looking at other policies. Why has is gone up so much? I am on a pension and all I want is to be able to give my dog the Veterinary care without having to worry where I am getting the money from for the vet bills. This was the whole idea of having pet insurance. Lesley

Anthea
Anthea

Hi Lesley, I agree, that sounds like an unreasonable increase. When I signed up there was a special offer of 2 months' free cover which is spread over the first year if you pay monthly. So my premium will go up at the end of 12 months as the discount won't be applied. Maybe something like that happened with you too?

blueantibes

Hi Lesley, I have had a similar increase with PIA. Was on accident and illness at about $40 p/m, then dropped to accident only which was about $32p/m, then about 4 months later I went back up to the full cover which is now $56p/m. PIA say the increase is due to higher vet fees, and the cost of equipment and coverage etc etc. Not sure how true that all is though. Keep in mind if you do change to another company, they will not cover any pre-existing issues your dog may have already had while being covered by the PIA insurance. Make sure you talk to the new insurance company about this.

Kgoldmember
Kgoldmember

Hi Lesley. Check out medibank Pet insurance. I pay $49 per month, I was looking around as I thought the price was a bit too high but I think I will stay were I am now.

Rachel

Rachelasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Does Pet Insurance Australia offer insurance if my dog was to get skin disease or skin irritation or skin problems?

Im looking for the best pet insurance for a Pure Pug who is still a puppy. I am so unsure who to go with,

any comments much appreciated!

Louise
Louise

I've given up on pet insurance especially PIA Pet Insurance Australia - The money I spent without making a claim over the years I could pay for any future claims - totally insensitive! My new policy is with RSPCA rather my money go to a good cause than greedy insensitive insurance companies, sorry not much help but my opinion!!

Amy
Amy

I can totally recommend Pet Insurance Australia (PIA). My experience has been great so far. I signed up a few months ago and just a week later my dog was stung by bees and close to death. A few trips to the hospital and local vet later (with an irregular heart beat), I submitted my claim and was reimbursed within a week for the majority. They question my vet around one aspect of the claim - she responded - and they paid the remaining amount straight away. The whole ordeal was sorted within a couple of weeks. PIA reps on the phone were supportive and courteous. As for your situation, I'm sure there are varying experiences but I would read the PDS of the policy you're looking at in detail. Their phone support is pretty good so you could call and ask as well. My dog is happy and so am I!

Denise Burleigh

Denise Burleighasked

Pet Insurance Australia

i have insurance for my 3 animals with RSPCA and i am hearing from vets and people that they are the worst at paying out for claims.
which do you think is the best?

blueantibes

Denise, I use 'Pet Insurance Australia' for my dog and in 2yrs have made 2 large claims ($1920 & $2100) and a smaller ($240) and have not had any problems with them for any of these claims.

Mano
Mano

I am leaving RSPCA as have had no luck with paying claims and an irritating call centre full of bonhomie when taking your money and impenetrable when trying to get anything back from them

Kim

Kimasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have pet insurance with Bow Wow Meow, my new policy automatically continued for the next years renewal on 24th February, two weeks later I unexpectedly had to have my beloved dog put down. I claimed vet fee for euthanasia on the policy. Now the insurance company says it is in the policy terms and conditions if my policy is cancelled (my dog is dead) because I submitted a claim I am liable for the remaining premiums on the policy for the entire year of the policy. I pay by the month direct debit and they are going to charge me the $41.31 per month each and every month until February 2014. (over $400) Can they do this? I recently had fraud comitted on our credit card, and because the premiums were direct debit now have to change it. I was informed by a customer service officer of Bow Wow Meow that if it was not paid on the due date (25th of each month) I would be charged double premiums. I am extremely distressed. Can they do this?

blueantibes

Kim, unfortunately you do have to pay, it is in the T&C's, particularly if you had made a claim within that 12mth policy period. I 'think' if there was no claim then maybe you don't have to pay out - same as cancelling the insurance. Monthly car insurance is the same if the car is written off but they take what is owed from the payout figure.
It is sad to hear that your furbaby is no longer with you and would hope that compassion prevails with insurance companies - but alas not.

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives