Petcover

Petcover Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

Safety-net Plan, Mid-range Plan, Superior Plan
Listing monitored by Petcover

34 questions from our users

LSPasked
Petcover

Not sure why my policy has increased $60 from last year for a 1 year old healthy cat? No claims made. It seems a stamp duty and policy fee of $18 have been added this time around. Why on earth does an insurance company need to charge stamp duty or an additional policy fee?

Hi LSP,

The premium payable on all General Insurance products is subject to change, even if your individual circumstances do not appear to have changed. This is because premiums are affected by multiple factors including the general costs of doing business and changes to the way your risk is assessed.

Stamp Duty is a State Tax this is not set by Petplan and the policy fee covers the costs of providing your insurance cover.

Kind regards,

The Petplan Team

Observer
Observer

Hi Petplan sure you can change the premium & terms but you are obliged to advise the customer in advance as this is a RETAIL product. It is the law!

An observer.

LSP

Thanks observer, definitely no advance notice that the price would be increased by $60 on a $330 plan. This is an 18% increase in one year with no advance notice. Let's hope the insurance is honoured should I need to make a claim.

PetPlanDisgruntled
PetPlanDisgruntledasked
Petcover

Is this insurer still crap?

Nomi
Nomi

Hi, Have not dealt with them since the whole ordeal, so I cant comment on how they are now, considering its only been a short time I doubt much has changed. Personally I wouldn't use them at all.. What I've decided to do is get insurance for the next 12 months with another company and in that time keep putting in $50 to $100 a f/n into another account I started just for the pets... and after I save up a decent sum of $ I'll continue to put money into it fortnightly and get rid of pet insurance all together. Too many stories of pet insurers not paying up when you need the money..

All the best :)

Sharon
Sharon

My review is recent, so unless they have made some major changes to their operation, then I would say yes.

Hi,

If you would like more information on our products, we can arrange someone to call you if you direct message us your preferred contact number, or alternatively you can give us a call on 1300 738 225.

Hope this helps.

-The Petplan Team

Sallina
Sallinaasked
Petcover

I have a Shih Tzu puppy, and I am wanting to take out insurance for him. How do I prevent disappointment with claims?

Hi Sallina,

Thanks for thinking about Petplan in this exciting time for yourself of inviting a new puppy into your home. It’s the perfect time to take out pet insurance when your Shih Tzu is young.
We have a range of policies available to suit anyone looking for a 12month essential plan to our Covered For Life policies. May we request giving our customer service team a call on 1300 738 225 (Option One) and they will be able to help yourself with any concerns or queries you have about pet insurance, claims and Petplan in particular.

Also check out our Facebook page and website testimonial pages to see what our current customers have experienced with our products.

Kind Regards

Isabella
Isabellaasked
Petcover

Hi does petplan insurance cover congenital and hereditary problems in puppy breeds that are pre disposed to a certain condition e.g hip dyplasia or spinal problems like hemavertabrae, leg calve perthes disease, eye ulcers eye problems etc?
I am looking at purchasing a pug and have researched the breed and just want to know I would be covered so if these issues occur I am prepared to have vet bills covered.

Hi Isabella

Petplan Policies do not have any breed specific exclusions. So it will not matter if they are pre-disposed to a certain condition. However we do exclude Pre-Existing Conditions.

For more information or if you would like a free quote, please call one of our customer service representatives on 1300 738 225 or alternatively visit our website http://www.petplan.com.au/

jodie89
jodie89asked
Petcover

hi i was thinking of getting pet plan insurance for my sharpie as they say they don't have breed exclusions., but will they cover the cost of operation for eye conditions with these breeds?

Hi Jordie89

Petplan Policies do not have any breed specific exclusions. However we do exclude Pre-Existing Conditions.

crunch
crunchasked
Petcover

Do any of the Petplan policies cover dental?

Hi crunch

Petplan's policies will cover an accident or illness in relation to an adult tooth, provided that you keep up with routine dental care for your pet, including annual dental examinations, and that the condition was not pre-existing prior to the start of cover.

As our policies are designed to prepare owners for the 'unforeseen', We will not cover dental work that is considered to be 'routine or preventative care', e.g dental checkups, scale & polish, teeth cleaning, or the removal of misaligned or retained deciduous teeth.

For more information or If you would like to speak to somebody from our team, please call 1300 738 225.

joreno
jorenoasked
Petcover

Hi, i've got a 9 week old female jack russel and i'm thinking to get an insurance for her. Would Petplan cover for ticks and snake bite? .thanks.joanna

Heidi
Heidi

Hi, I'm afraid I don't know as I haven't had experience with these. Best you ask them directly.

nuggie84
nuggie84

Hi, I claimed with petplan a couple of years ago for a tick which I found on the corner of my cats eye. An overnight stay at the emergency vets, a further days stay at my local vet and a follow up appointment when he was wretching when trying to eat another couple of days later (did to the paralysis in his osephegus) were all paid 100% minus my excess.

Further when I called them they said this type of thing is classified as an accident and generally paid out quickly. If it's an illness then understandably they have to do due diligence and make reasonable enquiries to ensure the illness was not a pre existing condition. Which is why they probably take longer to process.

My claim was paid out quickly (mind you, I work in human insurance and so I know what insurance companies are like, and was calling them daily, to ask where it was up to and when I would get my refund.

Hope this helps :-)

Hi Joreno

Petplan do cover for Paralysis Ticks and Snake Bites providing they are not pre-existing conditions.

Cindy
Cindyasked
Petcover

Hi do you cover parvo if you dog gets it that have been vaccinated and are upto date? Also do you do multiple pet discount and do your premiums go up every 50% yr as I'm on a low income a pension I have two chihuahuas I'll be looking at accidental and illness . And do you pay 100% vet bill ot 80%?

JEM
JEM

Hi Cindy

The answer is, they do pay 100% until they decide that they don't want to!

I am with PetPlan - took out "ultimate covered for life" insurance for my dog 9 years ago, and up until now they have covered 100% rebate on claims, less excess and non claimable items.
I have recently received my renewal certificate - premium has just about doubled, excess has been hiked up, and the 100% cover, allegedly for "life" has been lowered to 80% cover, plus a 20% co-payment.
I believe they have decided to penalise me and try to get the insurance back from me that I had to claim last year - totally unethical.

If you check their website, they are still offering the covered for life product at 100% rebate, less excess and non claimable items, for life.

This is false & misleading advertising - they have had a year to change their advertising but are still offering 100% cover for life - unethical.

They definitely do not deliver what they promise on the website, and I wasn't able to find it anywhere in the printed material they sent! I have asked them to point out where this information is about 100% cover being reduced to some other percentage cover when the dog is a certain age, but so far they have not had the courtesy to respond, even after several emails.

Also - check out the story at www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-08 - campaign to end pet insurers cruel post death ... where Petplan kept charging the owner ater the death of their pet, until the end of the premium year - unethical!!

The other thing is that they charged me double excess for an ongoing claim, even though the box "ongoing claim" had been ticked on the form - and they did this twice for two separate conditions. Admittedly they did reimburse me, but I had the frustration of having to ask them to reimburse me twice!

Oh, and for one of the claims, they took months to send the cheque, and when I received it it was only for half the claimed amount - our vet ended up hassling them about it and we got the rest of the money months later.

I sure hope you didn't take out insurance with this company!

Heath
Heath

Hi Cindy. Further to that I recieved the following on investigating with the Petplan Customer Service Team. It is true that their 100% cover is only for animals under 8yo

"The change to the policy that occurs due to your pets age is amount of coverage, once the cat turns 8 Years old the amount of cover is dropped, we will cover 80% of the vet bill and you pay the excess plus 20%.

D’Anna
Customer Service Team"

mel_87
mel_87asked
Petcover

Was having a look and doing quote for Petplan and was wondering if you can pay your policy annually? or is only monthly payments?

Hello Mel,
Thank you for contacting Petplan. You can definitely pay your premium annually or monthly. There is no price difference - so the choice is yours.

Graham R
Graham R

Hi Mel,
I hope you read all the reviews before buying PetPlan

lex clark
lex clarkasked
Petcover

Do you do public liability for horse and carriage rides?

SupportPetplan

Thank you for your question. Petplan Equine Insurance has optional benefits you are able to add to your basic cover (death from illness/injury and loss by theft/straying) including third party liability, cover for loss of use and for horse drawn vehicles. Call our team at 1 300 738 225 or email info@petplan.com.au and our team will find a Petplan Equine policy that is suited to your needs.

Rachel
Rachelasked
Petcover

Does PetPlan offer insurance if my dog was to get skin disease or skin irritation or skin problems?

Im looking for the best pet insurance for a Pure Pug who is still a puppy. I am so unsure who to go with,

any comments much appreciated!

lyh3
lyh3

It all depends on the underwriter (the person who assesses your application for insurance). This person could be a tight a## with no compassion for your dog and just thinking if your dog is profitable. On the other hand, the person could see that your dog will less likely have any incidents / accidents for the first few years of the dogs life which is a positive thing.

I went with Woolworths pet insurance after being rejected by PetPlan. Woolworths was an easy process and happy to insure my dog. It is really up to you how you would like to proceed.

Brizzygal
Brizzygal

My dog is a pure bred shar pei- a breed renowned for skin,eye,ear problems in particular- he has been insured with pet plan since he was a puppy and I have claimed for seeing a dermatologist without any problems.he's also had numerous operations on his eyes and face for entropian surgery and they've always paid out. He also sees a specialist once every 4 months for a long term health issue and again they always pay. I'm not sure if this is because he's been insured with them since he was born and therefore they can't reject the claim for pre existing condition but I've never had any problems with claiming from them and I claim on a very regular basis. I would definitely recommend them but whichever company you choose I would pick one sooner rather than later so they can't refuse due to pre existing conditions - hope this helps

SupportPetplan

Thanks for your question Rosie and we apologise we were not able to respond to your query sooner. When you're looking at pet insurance companies it is important not only to ask whether a condition will be covered but also for HOW LONG it will be covered and whether there is a MAXIMUM BENEFIT LIMIT. Petplan are proud to offer the only genuine 'Covered 4 Life' policies, meaning, if your pet develops an ongoing or chronic condition (diabetes for example) we will cover him for his entire life as long as his policy is renewed each year. If you do have any questions about Petplan please feel free to give us a call at 1 300 738 225. All the best!

Nickee
Nickeeasked

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing insurance for my 11 month miniature dachshund, because they are known to have back problems the question i want to ask is if he would be insured if a problem arises down the track? also in regards to dental would you cover him if he were to have a procedure or do you only cover routine care procedures like scale and polish? finally i would like to to know if i were to choose your insurance if my pet were to die later on would i still have to continue paying the premium?

Heike
Heike

Hi Nickee,
I think your questions are probably best answered by the insurer (I am just a client).
The best I can say is that generally, everything "medically necessary" is covered. The dental might depend on your level of cover and again, best ask Petplan directly.
I would think there are exclusions on pre-existing conditions, at least for a time, but I could not begin to answer your question on health issues certain breeds might be prone to.
I know this does not help you an awful lot; again, given them a call. have always found them very helpful.

SupportPetplan

Pet insurance protects pets again unforeseen injury and illness. If your pet already has a problem then it will be considered a pre-existing condition and Petplan (and every other pet insurance company) will not cover a claim in any way related to that condition. Petplan may offer "reviewable exclusions" on some conditions. Petplan will cover medically necessary dental surgery as long as there is evidence that the pet's teeth were properly cared for leading up to the issue arising. Other pet insurance companies do not. They may offer partial cover for routine dental care but it often isn't very much. Pet insurance policies are (typically) a twelve month contract. We offer our clients the option to pay month to month to make it easier on their pocket books. In some cases, for example if a client's pet passes away and the client has not made a claim, we may offer the option of reimbursement. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact the Petplan Team.

Andrew
Andrewasked
Petcover

What are your plans for the future in terms of the way claims are processed? Do you have plans to process claims online and do you have plans to make payments to vets rather than a refund basis?

RSB
RSB

Ask the questions to petplan, I'm just a customer

SupportPetplan

Thanks for your message Andrew and sorry we weren't able to respond sooner. Our clients are able to get all the information they need online and we have a number of ways for clients to submit their claims. Petplan is proud to be the only Pet Insurance company in Australia to offer direct payment to vets. Clients must make the appropriate arrangements with their veterinarian in order to set up direct payment with Petplan. If you have any more questions please contact our team at 1 300 738 225 or info@petplan.com.au. Thanks!

Gillian
Gillianasked
Petcover

Is Petplan Insurance the same as Allianz Pet Insurance?

Karinise
Karinise

I think Petplan is underwritten by Allianz. I don't know who is responsible for assessing the claims and deeming the nose and ear inflamation as separate conditions for the purpose of forcing us to pay two excess fees

SupportPetplan

Petplan Pet Insurance is underwritten by Allianz and Allianz offers Petplan Pet Insurance via their website: http://www.allianz.com.au/pet-insurance. As per the PDS claims for separate conditions will be charged individual excess amounts. Whether or not two conditions are deemed to be related will depend on the opinion of a veterinarian. If you have any additional questions or concerns please contact our team at 1 300 738 225 and we'll be happy to assist you.

Get an answer from our members and Petcover representatives

Other Pet Insurance