Phil & Teds Traveller

Phil & Teds Traveller

See the Best Portacots in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Phil & Teds

Pros

• Compact and lightweight

• Easy to put child in cot

• Straightforward to set up

Cons

• Not as durable as expected

• Can be tipped over by active kids

Erika K.
Erika K.Perth, WA

Worst cot

Save your money. I had this happened to me. Only used it a handful of times. I had to go buy a different cot. Different brand. Bad customer service. I gave up in the end. Will not recommend their products at all. Plus the cot is not easy to put up.

garth k.
garth k.

9-month-old can easily tip over

We purchased the travel cot in December when our baby was less than 4 months old and it was great. We liked having the option to zip down the side to save our backs for settling the baby. The cot is fantastically lightweight and compact for travel. However on a trip last week our now 9-month old tipped over the cot several times during naps and hit his head. We had to wedge the cot between the wall and bed to make sure he couldn't do it again. I will have to purchase another portacot going forward. Very disappointed that this is even possible.

Purchased in December 2018 at Baby Bunting.

Other Portacots

Bel
BelBrisbane

This cot doesn’t comply with safety standards

I have recently found out from Kidsafe Qld that this cot doesn’t comply with safety standards because of the self inflating mattress which curls up at the sides and is a danger plus the zips which the baby could open and get their head stuck in. I bought one of these from baby bunting and am alarmed to find out that they sell products that aren’t even safe for children or that Phil and teds could make a product that isn’t safe!

Jomac
JomacPerth

Easily damaged on planes

Portacots

Find out how Phil & Teds Traveller compares to other Portacots

Waste of money

Portacot looked good, but when it arrived (offline) realized it was far from, really hard to take down without a tool as buttons so rigid and do not press in, also mattress is so pathetic and my baby will not sleep in it, and it is not at all elevated, lies flat on ground which is far from ideal. While it is light it is not much smaller than any other portacots. I buying a new one.

Not safe for tummy sleepers!!

I bought this as we needed something lightweight for a trip overseas. Brought it home and set it up only to find that the mattress does not lay flat! I thought it might have been a fault with ours, but apparently it is part of the design that the mattress stays suspended on the long sides of the cots causing the mattress to dip in the middle. I really don't get why it is made this way! I took it back to the shop for a refund because my daughter is a tummy sleeper and it is not safe for her to sleep on a surface that is not flat. I read today that Choice reviewed this cot in 2013 and they also deemed it unsafe for this reason.

Worst Customer "Service" ever and dismantling not possible without a tool

I did a lot of research and this cot seemed the best as it is so light and fits into a suitcase. This is a big plus. BUT it is not possible to take the frame apart without using a tool, as the buttons you need to press to dismantle the frame can't be pressed in. Phil&Teds unfortunately have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They do not have a telephone line, so all you can do is contact them via email and they are unhelpful, have the worst return policies (only within 2 weeks, although their cot arrived late, while we were on vacation and would have needed it) and you have to come up for the return costs, even though they delivered it too late and although they delivered a defect item! Stay away!

The baby product awards for 2020!

Nathan S.29 Oct 2019
the-baby-product-awards-for-2020
Meagan
Meagan

Can't take it apart

I thought once I got the hang off this it would be easier to set up but I'm returning it after one day as I can't even dismantle it. The buttons won't undo. And after trying for 30 mins I have up. Also putting the mattress in the little clips is a pain. Basically the put together process is annoying and the taking down actually impossible even baby bunting couldn't.
The size looked good
Assembly

Other Portacots

Eve's mum
Eve's mumDonnybrook

Too unstable

LaNZ
LaNZ

My baby topples over so I am glad I read this. Need it to be able to sit upright.

Portacots

Find out how Phil & Teds Traveller compares to other Portacots

Mabi
Mabiasked

One of the legs broke, is it possible to find a replacement? (Im in perth)

Chichineni
Chichineniasked

Hi I just bought the latest version of traveller cot (version 4) and was wondering why it is so much shorter than the previous version (I think the sleep area is over 30cm shorter) - also why my cot doesn't have those infamous clips that secure the mattress to the cot base - are they not necessary - or is my cot less safe without them?

LovePT
LovePT

I am not sure whether in Europe they sell exactly the same model but my version 4 is 120cm by 60cm big. The clips are present on mine and you absolutely need some way to secure the mattress to the bed. I know that in Canada the bed was discontinued due to the clips not meeting their safety standards so I do not know if that has something to do with it. I suggest you contact P&T directly or return the bed if you do not feel comfortable with it.

Wildtala
Wildtalaasked

Is the zip on just the side of the portacot or the front? i have a 9 month old that i want to secure in the cot so if he can escape its not good for us...

Rena 13
Rena 13

My model is the slightly older one but the makers thought of escapees. The zip pull is on the outside and there's a loop and toggle that can be done up to prevent little fingers opening it.

See all Phil & Teds Traveller questions

Get an answer from our members and Phil & Teds representatives

Features:

• The Phil & Teds traveller™ travel cot is adaptable for both indoor and outdoor use, so you can use it for sleep and play wherever you go - it’s a staple for nights away as well as picnics.
  • A zipped side lets you put your child in and out without having to bend over each time, and also lets it double as an opened up playpen or as a closed sleeping space.
  • Breathable mesh sides and global safety certification gives you peace of mind while your child snoozes.
  • Your little one can be comfortable in this cot, as it has a thermally insulated mattress and a fitted sheet made from OEKO-certified fabric that’s free from hazardous substances.
  • Phil & Teds markets this cot as being able to be assembled in under 2 minutes.
  • You also have the option of purchasing a mesh top accessory for outdoor excursions to keep your baby shaded and keep mosquitoes and other insects away.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers said that the portacot was lightweight and compact, and easily packed away for storage, in the car, or with other luggage.
  • They also appreciated how easy it was to get their baby in and out of the cot - this was mostly because of the convenient side zip.
  • According to reviewers, this cot was quick and simple to set up.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers noted that the cot wasn’t as durable as they expected it to be, saying that some parts - such as the elastic connecting the pipes and the zipper cords - broke or frayed from strain rather quickly.
  • A few reviewers also said that their active, young children were sometimes able to tip the cot over. This means it may not be suitable for use as a playpen by all children or for children who move a lot in their sleep.

Points to consider:

• The cot is advertised as being able to be assembled in under 2 minutes, however many reviewers - even those who found the set up to be simple - found that it usually took a few minutes longer than this.
  • A few reviewers also had trouble with disassembling the portacot. As some reviewers stated, you need to hold the frame and pull the legs off - you don’t need to push the buttons.
CategoryPortacots