Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8240

Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8240

More Convenient Alternative to Regular Flossing

My dentist recommended I use Picksters (the little dental stick with a tiny brush on the end). I found it very difficult to use - it kept bending and caused a lot of gum bleeding when I jabbed things wrong. And I've never been able to practice regular flossing as it's very inconvenient and awkward. I just give up.

So I decided to try this APhilips Sonicare AirFloss.

It's convenient, very easy to use, not too messy (just keep your lips shut!), and the battery lasts over a week after charging.

I don't think it's quite as good at getting everything as a Pickster, but it's close. I used the product then used a Pickster, and the Pickster found some sludge between my teeth that had been missed by the AirFloss. Still, it's about consistency, and the Pickster is difficult for me to use.

Overall, I highly recommend this product as a good alternative to conventional flossing tools.

Hi Brad, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're glad to hear that the AirFloss was a good replacement for the sticks you had to use before. We're glad they are working well for you and it's easy for you to use. Kind Regards, The Philips Australia Team

Works well for a while - but no staying power

I've used the product for quite a few years now. Great when it works, but its not durable. Much better than manual flossing. The longest working duration for the product was 10 months and shortest two months. Great concept just need to get the design and battery power right.

Hello Gary, Thanks for taking the time to write down your review. We're happy to hear that you're satisfied with the over all performance. We regret hearing that it's still causing troubles. Have you already discussed this with our colleages over the phone? Please reach out to 1300 363 391 for further assistance. Thank you. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Great product, but failed within few months

Love the product, noticed a big improvement in my gum health. However it doesn't seem to want to charge anymore. Bit annoying because i got it from UK amazon so dont think warranty is covered here :(

Terrible Product

I followed the instructions but the Sonicare was dead on arrival.
I can't believe this product was ever tested for more than a few minutes.
P.S. the review feedback page is terrible to use also.

Hi Gilbert, thank you for your review. Your Sonicare AirFloss coming out of the package in that condition must have come as an unpleasant surprise, to say the least. This is of course not the experience we want you to have with our products. It would be great if you could give our colleagues a call on 1300 363 391 (Australia) or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand), so they can see how they can be of assistance. We're hoping to hear from you and we wish you a very nice weekend. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

4th Air Floss unit via replacements through my dental office and failure of unit always within 2 mon

Three of the four units stopped working with only a clicking noise and the latest just stopped with only a ringing sound. When this product is working, it is very helpful but when it stops, it is dead with no apparent repair or reset options. Very frustrating. With one of the units, I disassembled the outer shell to access the mechanical apparatus and could find no disengagement of the gears or reason for the clicking. The units were always kept on a maintenance charge and there was never a dropping or abuse of the product. After having had four of these, I have come to the conclusion that there is definitely an engineering flaw which seems to affect the product within a very short consumer use period.

Hi there, we appreciate your thoughts on this. We're very sorry to hear that you haven't had much luck with the 4 AirFlosses you've had. Here's a troubleshooting tip that might help: charge the appliance for 24 hours straight. If that doesn't do the job, please reach out to us on 1300 366 391 if you're residing in Australia. If you're from New Zealand, you can contact us on 0800 658 224. We'd be happy to look for solutions! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

The best thing and the worst thing that happened in my life

For some one who always had a challenge in flossing, this product was a boon. I have become so dependent on it and can't live without using it after every meal. The worst thing is that I bought my 9th product in the last 3 years. The maximum life was 3 months. The worst part is the latest model fails even in less than a month. Finally I found an alternate product and glad that I don't need to look back.

Hi, Maddy. Thanks for telling us about this. It is shocking to hear that you have had 9 AirFloss models in the last three years. That doesn't sound good at all. We are not sure what the issue is, but here you can find some FAQs: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=HX8211/02&hlt=Link_FAQs&mid=Link_FAQs&scy=US&slg=AEN. Maybe you still have the Airfloss at home and want to try this. Moreover, it might also help you charge it for 24 hours straight. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Works great, but it's just a waste of money and time - faulty line of products that keep failing wit

I loved this product for about 2 months until it stopped working, it smelled like the plastic had melted inside. I contacted customer service, and they replaced it so I was happy. Until this one stopped working too.
The customer service told me to buy a charger from the philips store online, so I dropped another $20-30 on that, when it arrived, it did not fix it. I contacted customer service about returning the charger, but they do not handle that so she won't help me. I have spent so much time and money on this product, a shame because it works so well I want to keep using it, but I can't afford to spend this kind regularly to replace it, it would be cheaper to just go to the dentist and get my teeth cleaned. Currently searching for a new brand - any recommendations? I tried to Airpik but it's not very good pressure-wise.

Glen

Hi Glen, Thanks for leaving your review here and sharing your experience with us. We regret seeing that Airfloss hasn't worked as well for you as you would've liked and we understand that you feel this way. May we ask you if you could send us your contact details in a private message? We'd like to see how we can help you further. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Second time failure.

When it's working this is a great product, it really works well. BUT, this is the second time its failed in less than 2 years. Just stops works and won't respond to a recharge. Philips replaced my first unit and I thought I just had bad luck. Now it's happened again, same issue! Great dissapontment particularly from such a reputable brand.

Hi George, We're sorry to see you've been having such bad luck with the AirFloss. Especially since you like using it so much. Have you perhaps reached out to our consumer care colleagues again about this? They're always happy to see how we could help out. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

Worked well ......for a while

Purchased a Sonic air HX8240 which worked well for a few months. It did perform better than I thought and gave a good clean to the gums removing heavily impacted foods straight after meals (no more tooth picks).

However it wasn't long and it started to "air lock" in the fluid reservoir- after a few shots the fluid and force would get less each shot. Opening the hatch removed the vacuum in the reservoir and allowed the unit to function for a few more shots until it "air locked" again.

Recently it just stopped mid clean and the "on" light would go off as soon as you pressed the "trigger". The unit has a strong burnt smell, so I assume the motor or circuitry is fried.

It wasn't cheap and I cant find the receipt, so in the bin its goes- worse still I just brought some replacement tips which are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

Based on the many negative reviews I don't think my unit was just a random faulty unit and I couldn't recommend it.

Great concept- pity the product doesn't live up to it. Seems to be so very many small appliances that fail so readily- but all are priced just cheap enough, and work just long enough, that the majority of people don't return or complain (or report on this site) in the required numbers to force changes to design and manufacturing practices.

Hello AC, Thanks for submitting your review here. We take this very seriously. Could you please share your phone number and email address with us through a Private Message? Kind regards, The Philips Australia teamWell done Philips!! Certainly cant fault Philips's customer service. I had a response from them the night I posted my review and received a replacement unit on 23-1-17 (7 days later). All it took was to send a copy of my invoice. I hope this one lasts, as I was quite pleased with my first unit. Thank you Philips- and fingers crossed issues have been resolved with this product.Hi there, Thank you for your follow-up. We're glad we could be of assistance and we're happy to hear that things have been resolved. Please know that you can always contact us via Facebook, Twitter or phone if you ever experience problems with our products. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Excellent when it was working

I think that it improved my oral health. It is a bit top heavy when it is on the charging stand so one needs to be careful not to knock it over. I really liked it. Unfortunately, it stopped working before the first charge was used up :(

When I am back in my home town again, I will be contacting Phillips for a replacement.

HI Richard, We agree that that is a bit too fast for an Airfloss to die! Sorry for the inconvenience. Please do contact us about this, as we might be able to help out. Don't give up on us just yet! If you are from Australia, please contact our call centre at 1300 363 391 when you are back in your home town. Kind regards, The Philips Australia teamThank you for your reply. I am in Florida on vacation, but I will be contacting Phillips once I am back in Canada. I really like the AirFloss and I hope that you can work out the reliability problems.HI Richard. Glad that you still like it. Please do contact our Canadian team if you are back! You can reach them on Facebook or Twitter. Don't forget to include the receipt or a picture of the bottom of the device. Have a nice holiday! Kind regards, The Philips Australia team.

Philips Sonicare Airfloss HX8240 - Failure

Right about the time our 2-year warranty expired at the end of September 2016, this HX8240 started developing stress cracks around the seam on the body of the unit. Apparently, the impact of the internal pump is so jarring on the plastic body that the unit basically self-destructs. The hinge on the filler cap cracked and now the cap won't stay shut, so the water in reservoir leaks out, making this HX8240 useless.

I'm no engineer, but my guess this is a well known design flaw in the HX8240. Can we get a newer model replacement?

Hi Kevin, we've also responded to your other message on here. It does sound like an unusual problem and it is unfortunate to hear that this started happening so shortly after your warranty expired. We would still recommend to get in touch with us on 1300 363 391 or through http://philips.com/support/ to discuss this further and we'll be happy to see what is in our power to help you out further from here on. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

So disappointed I brought mine a go and it has never worked.

Mine has never even turned on,very disappointed. I rang the support number and they said to email the details, that email bounced back. I then tried to do it through the web page,they said to email to the same address , that too has bounced back. Lesson learnt I should have checked the reviews first before wasting my money

Hello Cynthia, We're very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the AirFloss and our customer service. We understand that if you're product breaks down, or hasn't worked properly in the first place, you'd like for us to follow up on this accordingly. So we've just sent you a private message asking for your contact information, so that we can ask our colleagues to reach out to you directly about this. Hope to hear from you. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamI,Ve put the wrong email address how can I change itHi Cynthia, Did you already reply to our private message? We can't seem to find a message from you. Please check your inbox. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Avoid at all costs

Faulty product, breaks down all the time. Used it few times and got a warranty replacement. I was lucky enough that I could still make something out from my receipts (almost completely faded after 10 months). I got another product which broke down again. Waste of money.

Hi there, first of all thanks for reviewing the AirFloss here. Pity to hear it hasn’t been living up to your expectations, we can imagine the disappointment when the replacement breaks down similarly to your first purchase. We’re not sure whether you were already in contact again with our customer service team, but there might be something they can do for you here. If there’s anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Kind regards, the Philips Australia team.

Does not last longer4 months

This is a expensive bit of gear with a very short life this is the third one than has failed and the second with in 4 months. Just stopped shooting water
The really sad part is it is excellent in keeping my teeth clean and 100% better than dental floss.
I really can't be without it but $118 every 4 months is ridiculous .
So very disappointed

Hi Diane, thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear that our HX8240 is doing wonders for your teeth and gums, however we would think that it should last longer then only 4 months as well. We'd like to recommend getting in touch with our Sonicare team about this, as they are more than willing to see how they could help you further in this matter. If you're located in Australia we'd like to recommend reaching out to us on 1300 363 391. If you're based in another country you could find your local Sonicare specialist through this form: http://philips.to/1M9zIa2 Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Ridiculously short life and poor customer service

I can count on one hand how many uses we got out of it before it stopped working. it shows a solid green light on the charger, but that's all it's good for. As soon as you pick it up it is dead. Customer support refused to help without the receipt, which I don't know if we have. Based on our Diamond Clean, I would have expected a better product. The lack of warranty support is enough to stop me from buying anything else from Phillips.

Hi Ryan, we are sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. If you like, we can take another look at this for you. Could you please send us a message with your contact details so our colleagues can get in touch with you directly, if necessary? Thank you. Kind regards, The Philips Australia teamI'm in the U.S. Would you still be able to help?Sure no problem at all, Ryan. We will forward it to our local colleagues so they can reach you directly. Looking forward to your (private)message. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Second review of replacement Sonicare HX 8240 Airfloss

I promised that I would do another review after a decent trial period of the replacement Philips Sonicare HX8240 that Philips were good enough to supply me with after my second replacement unit failed. The first unit was purchased in May 2012, and was replaced in the first 12 months. It failed again in November 2014. My original model and the first replacement was the HX8140, the third unit was a HX8240. I am taking these numbers off the actual handle which seem to be different to the model numbers. Well what can I say, the Sonicare Airfloss is used by my wife in conjunction with the top of the line toothbrush. The toothbrush has been magnificent with no problems at all and we would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the Airfloss, as I said before it is fantastic when it works and my wife loves what it does, she does not like the style of flosser that pumps heaps of water into your mouth. However as pensioners we cannot afford to be paying $149.00, (which is a discount price normally $179.00), every year or two. We got the replacement on 19th November 2014 so less than a year later it has packed up, appears to be a charging problem but it is not the charger as we have three bases and have tried them all. I guess I should contact Philips but they will probably say that as they have replaced it twice that is all they will do. We are Philips products fans so it really pains us to have to judge a Philips product so harshly, (especially as my wife is Dutch), but we have to be honest and lodge a truthful review.

Hello Eugene, thanks for taking your time to write this review. We're glad to hear you are Philips fans. We like to have another look at this to see if we can help you. Please contact us on philips.product.review@philips.com along with your contact details. We would like to hear from you. Well I approached Philips as requested and after contacting several departments I finally received an email saying that they were unable to help as the unit was long out of warranty. I guess from May 2012 to October 2015 seems like a reasonable period of three years and five months and if it had been one unit that we had purchased and it had lasted that long we would probably have been satisfied. However in that period we had two replacements so a total of three units over a three year and five month period. If you factor in a discount price of $149.00 it would have meant that we would have paid a total of $447.00 for my wife to floss her teeth, that seems a lot of money to me and I doubt if you would get the AIRFLOSS at that price now. I do not think I am being un-reasonable to expect a product that retails at such a high price to last three or more years. To have them fail on an average of just over a year seems crazy and points to this product being very poorly constructed. It is not just me having this problem many people are experiencing the same issue. I think it is high time Philips take the product off the market until they can manufacture a product that is as reliable as their toothbrush range which we have and found them to be bullet proof and very reliable. As Philips fans we find this product to be a major disappointment. As I said before it is great when it works and my wife loves what it does so much that I purchased another unit for her. One of the original models off eBay for $50.00. It is a new unit with nozzle but no charger. I figure that if it lasts the usual 12 or 14 months over a three year period I will have spent $150.00 which is a lot better than at least $447.00. There is no way however that I would ever buy another unit at full price when they are so un-reliable. Sorry Philips but you have bombed out on this one!Thank you for your elaborate feedback, Eugene. We really appreciate you giving us all this information, as it's very valuable for us. We understand your disappointment and would like to see if there's anything else we can do to help you. Have you supplied us with your details already? Alternatively, and if you are based in Australia, you can reach out to us via 1300 363 391 to speak to one of our product specialists. We look forward to hearing from you, Eugene. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

See all Philips Sonicare AirFloss reviews