Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550

Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550

SCH550/20 (Blue), SCH550/21 (Pink)

SallyAdelaide

Third one and third malfunction

Thermometer is great until the screen clouds over and is unreadable. The first one lasted 4 yrs. we purchased another, only for it to cloud over in 3 months. Finally replaced under warranty (Phillips VERY unhelpful, baby bunting only slightly better) for the replacement to cloud over too. Could do without the ongoing hassle!

Philips S.Philips Avent

Stopped working, poor customer service

The thermometer was used daily until it stopped working, the numbers faded, then blacked out.

Spoke to Avent telephone customer service who advised to send it in. After posting it in, got a phone call from an unhelpful customer service rep who said the thermometer was received, had testing done and found nothing wrong with it.

How convenient to have the Avent thermometer stop working for a few days only to be working again when sent in after wasting time and money to do so. So looks like I'll be getting sent back the same thermometer that stopped working but there was no confirmation of that either from the rep.

God knows when it'll stop working again. Disappointed with Avent customer service.

A.D
A.D
RJ

RJSydney, NSW

Good but fragile.

I had this for a couple of years, and it worked well. I used it to measure ocean temperature. Today it gave strange readings, then went blank. Thinking it just needed new batteries, I tried to remove the thermometer from the rubber shell. There is a glass tube inside which was broken. This possibly happened when I tried to remove the thermometer. In fact, it would be difficult to remove it without stressing this tube. It could also break from some physical pressure on the back bulb. They're ok, but don't be too rough with it.
Accurate reading, and fast enough.
Fragile, particularly when removing to replace battery.

Baby Thermometers

Find out how Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550 compares to other Baby Thermometers

See all Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550 reviews

Clodeboasked

Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550

After two years use the battery has died. Is there anyway of changing it? Minus the mold its been very useful!

rjovo
rjovo

There is. You can download the user guide from the Philips website for the instructions which includes the battery type required. We did it but didn't add grease to improve the waterproofing so after changing the battery water starting condensing over the display until it became unreadable - so I'd recommend following that step. We were otherwise really happy with the product so we ended up buying a replacement.

Philips S.Philips Avent

Hi there! To add to the comment of Rjovo, you can find the instruction for replacing the battery here: https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/s/sch550_20/sch550_20_dfu_nld.pdf. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Kind regards,
the Philips Australia team.

Brilliant. thanks

BMG

BMGasked

Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550

Hi! I've recently purchased this thermometer and with my baby due in 2 weeks wanted to get a gauge for the temperature of our bedroom but find myself struggling to turn on - screen is currently blank, does it not come with batteries or am I being really stupid? Help appreciated :-)

Donna

Hi. The thermometer should come already working. I would return it to where you bought it from, as I read that it's quite difficult to replace the battery. Hope this helps.

Emma
Emma

Hello, yes, the screen should be on and working. Take back to where you bought it or call Phillips Avent directly. Phillips will ask you for proof of purchase, I think it should work for approx 2yrs so they want to check you haven't had it that long!

Sue

Sueasked

Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550

Can you get a laser thermometer for the babies head?

Donna

Hello Sue, this is not a thermometer for taking a child's temperature.

Vee's Mum
Vee's Mum

The Phillips thermometer mentioned above is only suitable to measure bath and room temperature. There are other thermometers on the market which can measure body temperature, room temperature and surface temperature

Philips S.Philips Avent

Hi Sue, thanks for your question. We strongly advise you not to use the thermometer to measure the temperature of your baby, since the SCH550 is made to measure the temperature of a room and water. Please feel free to contact us at 1300 363 391 (if you are in Australia), regarding any other queries about this product.

Kind regards,