Philips HU4803/70

Might work for very small rooms?

Bought one of these because in winter, the humidity drops to as low as ~30% in our master bedroom, and I get very dry skin with eczema.

The specifications on Philip's site says the max room size is 25sqm, so perhaps I'm expecting too much. However, Philips Australia doesn't have anything bigger, and I wanted to try this one because it was compact and had one of the lowest noise ratings out of all the ones I looked at. Even though our master bedroom is 30sqm, I figured with a fairly big wardrobe in there blocking 4-5sqm, it'd still perform, but just slowly. I turned it on, and it read the ambient humidity as 32% and I set the humidistat to 60%, and the fan on full, and just left it.

4 hours later, the humidity is about 7% higher at 39%, and it's used about half the water, but that's about it. It goes up or down 1% from here, but won't go any higher. Rather disappointing, as I was hoping to get the humidity up to the "comfortable range" for humans, at least 40%, if not closer to 60%. The room is fairly well sealed as well, so it's not like it's turning over the air too often.

On the bright side, even on full, it's pretty quiet - quieter than a desk fan, and quieter than the lowest setting on my old one. On silent, you can barely hear it. It's also quite a lot smaller than my old unit, nicely finished, and blows air upwards, so you don't feel a cold draft coming from it.

I'd say this unit would be fine for a very small, well sealed room. But for me, who tried to stretch it a bit, it didn't deliver. 25sqm must be the absolute, absolute largest room it can possibly make any noticeable difference to, and you might want to consider another brand with a bigger capacity if your room is even near that size.

Purchased in August 2019 for $169.00.

Hi Ken. Thanks for sharing your experience with your Philips Humidifier with us. We can imagine that it's a bit disappointing that you're not getting the performance you expected from your humidifier. It is indeed true that this model is designed to be used in a room up to 25sqm, so it might not be as effective in your room. You can, however, reach out to our colleagues by phone to check if they have any tips that might help. They can be reached at 1300 363 391 (Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm EST), and would be happy to help out. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Could be better

I bought the humidifier for my dry skin. I placed it in my bedroom and it's on all the time. After using it for a few months I don't really see much of a difference. It requires refill at least once a day (and more often on the higher modes). At night time I can't set it so that no light is visible, even the weakest mode has a small blue light on, so I can see the the glow in the corner of the room. Overall, not so happy with it.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Margarita, thank you for your review on our humidifier. It's as shame to hear that the device hasn't met your expectation completely. If you'd like, you're always welcome to contact us if you'd like to discuss your experience further. You could do so on 1300 363 391. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

It's just ok, but noisy

I bought this humidifier to improve the dryness I suffered. I was told by the salesperson for it's advanced evaporation system with NanoCloud technology that no mist is visible. It is easy to refill water and clean the tank and there is a real-time display of the humidity level with timer function. However, it is only suitable to use in the bedroom (or small space) and requires refill quickly as the 2L water tank doesn't allow a long operation. Although it's sleep mode (means the weakest mode) runs with minimum lights on, it basically doesn't help to improve any of the dryness and the fan is very noisy at night if turning to full power that is really disturbing to my sleep. I later bought another unbranded mist humidifier with 6L water tank capacity for only $4X (with no timer and other fancy functions of course). Compare to this product, I'd rather get the unbranded one, considering their performance and price.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Fiona, Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts on the HU4803/70. Although we would've love to see that you like the product more, we're thankful of the feedback. This will help us in considering all the important aspects of the experience, when designing potential future products. But for now, if you have any questions or remarks, please don't hesitate to our consumer care colleagues directly (1300 363 391 AU, 0800 658 224 NZ). They're always happy to see if and how we could help. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

I bought this humidifier because I was suffering sore throat from low humidity, however, am very disappointed that this device stops working as soon as it detects humidity above 70% even on manual mode. It does not indicate this on the box that it gives restricted usage, and I feel like on the days when I need to add more moisture to the room despite the humidity being at 70% or above I cannot do so, which totally defeats the purpose of me purchasing this device in the first place. Total fail.
Yeah, it's true. You can get a cheap humidifier from ebay that fits your purpose (which I did and used it more often). I regret to get this product :(Hi Cannie. Thanks for sharing this with us. Your Philips Humidifier is designed to automatically switch off once the 70% RH (Relative Humidity) level is reached. The reason for this is that research has shown humidity above 70% is not comfortable for users. We can understand this is inconvenient in your case, so we'd recommend reaching out to our colleagues at: 1300 363 391 (Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm EST) for Australia and 0800 658 224 (Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm) for New Zealand. This way they can see how to further assist with this. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

I recently purchased this Phillips Humidifier for a small bedroom, the RH% is always on 66-67 since buying it (only one day) is there a reason why? I troubleshot and the filter is fitted correctly, appears to be working but RH% does not change at all even though on the settings I have it set for high, 40, still no change in RH%. Can someone explain why this is please? Thank you.
The number indicates is the ambient RH, so if you set it to be 40, the humidifier maynot function as the ambient RH is higher than your desired RH.Hi Daniel, thanks for your question. We'd be happy to look into this further for you. Feel free to reach out to us on Facebook and/or Twitter (@PhilipsCare) for further assistance. Alternatively, you can contact our support team by phone on: 1300 363 391. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

CategoryHumidifiers