Philips Hue Lighting

Philips Hue Lighting

MPN: PHI-HUEKIT

Its good but pricing is not so much

Purchasing this from JB HIFI via their Website, I found the purchasing experience very easy in addition to picking the item from a store that had stock.

When I got home and attempted to install following the instructions from the boxed packaging. For a beginner of smart home devices with the reasoning of using a Google Home Mini to voice activate it at a later point in time.... i did find it rather cumbersome to connect the Hue bridge with the Philips Hue Smart Light Bar double pack even though I was technologically savvy in addition to having watched some Youtube reviewers of this product.

In any case, I was still determined and after approximately 30 minutes, it was installed and managed to connect the application and devices to my Google Home Mini.

The lights themselves do not scream expensive or high quality constructure considering the exuberant purchasing pricing.

Pros:
- easy to install provided you both technically savvy and have installed similar smart devices previously
- lots of colours
- works with voice-activated compatible devices
- LED lights that use very low amounts of electricity which is fantastic compared to a conventional light bulb or other LED lights

Cons:
- quality construction
- mediocre packaging
- price
- came in black (did not have an option for another colour)
- voice control in turning lights to basic colours is okay, but a specific list of colour configurations through voice control would be even better

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store.

So Easy

Thought I would give these a cautious try, so only purchased the Hue Bridge and a single globe. Setup of the bridge and the globe took around 10 minutes at the most. Adding to Apple Home Kit took another couple of minutes after confirming an email address. The Bridge and globe automatically updated. Now I can dim or turn off and on the light using Siri.

Truly a user friendly solution, very easy to set up. I have now purchased further globes to expand the system. Adding the extra lights was just as easy as initial setup.

Hi there, thank you for sharing your experiences with Hue Lighting here. We're happy to hear that you find it a user-friendly solution. Hopefully, you'll be enjoying them for a long time. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Phillip Hue White, Simple but practical

I have been using Phillips Hue for a year and just purchased more Phillips Hue White bulbs for every room in the house. There was completely no hassle from the start. I put the light bulb, use Hue App to scan new devices, and let the app do the rest. Only thing I dislike was All Phillips Smart Devices do need a bridge; however, this bridge really helps the quick response time between smart bulbs and wifi faster that I was expecting.

The price of Smart Phillips Hue White can be ranged between $20 and $30. Look out the promotion on the website before deciding to buy them. All the Phillips work so well with a Google Assistant. I think a dimmable Phillips Hue White is a cheap choice and practical for most homes without fancy colour change function.

Hi there, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We're happy to hear that the Hue lights have been of such convenience for you. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy them for a long time! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Soooo easy, simply works the iPhone of lighting

Hue is so simple, easy, and magnificent.

I tried the Lifx, setup is tedious and kept dropping out. The Hue is the complete opposite; it’s plug and play.

The only aspect of Phillips Hue that is missing is a complete 90cm downlight replacement, you have to retro fit old down light fitting to add Hue downlights, they do have one option, but it is 120cm cut out and who wants to cut plasterboard to fit a downlight!!!?. The Lifx offer this option, pity it doesn’t work. Come on Philips all modern downlights have a 90cm fitting and you don’t have a Hue option? You are missing the opportunity to replace all those cheap builder LED’s, literally Millions of the them.

Hi there, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Hue lighting product. Feedback from customers means a lot to us! We're glad that you are generally happy with the product, but your suggestions are really valuable to us as well. If you'd like to discuss this further with our Lighting team, we would recommend reaching out to 1300 304 404. Perhaps they can help you with this. Kind regards, The Philips Australia teamI phoned the number provided, the music playing is quiet pleasant but after 15 minutes I got boredWe like hearing that you enjoyed the tunes! We can also definitely imagine that it starts to bore after more than a couple of minutes, though. Our guess is that it was quite busy at the time you tried it. Have you given it another go recently? In case you're still having trouble getting in touch with our colleagues, we wouldn't mind sending an email to them, asking them to get in touch with you. :-) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Starter kit found lights initially unreachable

I bought a starter kit (bridge and 2 lights) to use with Google Home Hub. The bridge hooked up and paired no problem but the lights returned "unreachable" errors. Many suggestions, turning lights off and on, deleting and adding using serial numbers were tried, the Hue app eventually returned a message that an update to the lights was needed which I let run for 4 hours with no obvious result. I terminated the update and restarted the app then it reported the device was unsupported! After another restart suddenly the lights started responding. It was a real trial to get these things working, no plug and play that's for sure.

Hi Mark. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here regarding setting up your Hue starter kit. It sounds like the two of you weren't off to a great start, and we regret hearing that it didn't work straight away. We're however glad to hear you managed to get your lights to respond later on, and we hope from now on your experience with them will be a lot better! If you ever need any assistance, please feel free to get in contact with our friends at Hue. You can find them on Twitter (@tweethue), or through any of the options mentioned here: https://bit.ly/2VyuuuW. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

This product is brilliant for getting your smart home set up

I have been using Philips Hue now for about 6 months. Despite the initial investment being a little on the pricey side compared to other Smart Lights, it has been a pleasure to set up and use. I have a full scene set up to wake me up to natural light and an awesome entertainment area that I can control everything using my Google Home. I highly recommend Philips Hue Smart Lights as a brilliant way to light up your home.

Hi there, Kyle. How lovely to hear the Hue lights have truly brightened up your life. :) Thanks for sharing this here, and take care. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Smart Lighting - The Future

The Philips Hue Smart Lighting allows you to customise your lighting in just about every way possible. I have 2 of the white and 5 colour changing bulbs connected to the Smart Hub. The white bulbs are automated with timers for security or controlled remotely through the Hue app. Controlling the colour bulbs with Amazon Alexa voice commands is pretty awesome. Dim your lights to just the right percentage for watching TV or turn on your bedroom lamps without moving a finger. It would be great if the software updates were a little faster as up to an hour per bulb would test anyone's patience. Overall, a great addition to any smart home.

Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your elaborate review on your Hue lights. We're glad to hear the lights have brightened up your home with a nice ambiance and convenience! Thanks for your feedback as well. It's surely noted and appreciated. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Good, but could be a lot better

I’ve got 5 colour Philips Hue bulbs, a motion sensor, and the bridge running at my house. I’ve been putting them to the test to really determine the strong points and weak points. To start with the strong points, the globes are very responsive with almost instantaneous changes from both the app and google home. The globes are also bright compared to other RGB or RGBW globes on the market. You really can swap all your lights to these without loosing any luminance. The sensor is also very responsive and quick to act when it detects movement, even in low light. Not bad for something running on batteries. Now for the bad, The globes really don’t have good colour saturation. The greens and reds definitely aren’t as vibrant as I would have liked and expected from a Philips product. The sensor has virtually no customisation options in the app. This basically means that if you set a scene manually and the sensor detects motion, it will take over and change the scene completely. This is incredibly annoying when you’re trying to read and the dog keeps triggering the sensor causing the lights to turn off. I would like to see Philips develop some substantial customisation options for this such as how it responds at various times of the day, disabling if a manual scene is set, and the triggering of different scenes depending on time of day. At the moment it’s way too basic.

Hey there, First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your experiences with the Philips Hue bulbs. Our appreciation is massive, since you provide us with the best tools for improvement of our products. Needless to say, we take your remarks in consideration and we can imagine it is quite annoying, having the lights switching on and off without your approval. We'd like for you to know, if there's anything else we can help you out with, please feel free to let us know! You can contact us here, or on Facebook and Twitter, whatever you find convenient. For now, we wish you all the best. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Disappointing

When I first started using this product I was blown away but over time it has shown its true colours - incredibly unreliable. The app often gets stuck in away mode which means when I come home it’s supposed to turn the lights on automatically but recently fails more often than not. Integration with Google home is very very poor, dosnt sync newly added lights, and now the lights won’t dim. IFFT is now also failing. I could go on, this really needs Philips to step up and take some ownership of these issues, I am so put off now I won’t be buying any more Hue products.

I use my Philips Hue Lights every day.

I have entered into the world of Home Automation and I have to say, it is a lot of fun. And quite helpful. The Philips Hue makes it relatively easy. With a connection to Google Home, you can't go wrong.
We have, just 3 bulbs. One in the main living area and the others in the bedroom.
We have set the main bulb to come on at Sunset. This means our Birds are not sitting in Darkness until we get home, which means they aren't startled when we do.
The best part is lying in bed and telling Google to turn off the lights without having to reach for the switch.
If they were a little cheaper, I would have them all over the house.

Thanks for sharing your review, Mickey. We're glad to hear that you like our Hue lights and the convenience of setting them up suited to your specific needs. Also, it's nice that your birds appear to appreciate the lights too. :) If there is anything we can assist you with, you know where to find us. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Great. Once you get it set up.

I had real problems setting up my starter kit . I was able to set up and verify an account from scratch, but then I would get to a screen asking me if I wanted to allow Philips access to my lights, regardless of pressing Yes or No I was then sent to a page on Safari that gave me a 401 error.
Finally, after re-registering via Google I was able to get the lights registered and working properly. Since then no problems, I'm enjoying playing with the colours and Themes. But, there is a bug in the set up process that definitely needs squashing.

Hey there, Thank you for taking the time to share your review on the Philips Hue Lighting. In case, you want to leave any reviews or have any questions regarding the setup process, could you please reach out to us via Facebook or Twitter. You can find us via @tweethue on twitter or Philips Hue on Facebook. We hope to hear from you. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

It's fantastic, but will fantastic be enough?

Bought the Hue Starter Kit, and was so impressed with the overall package that I bought several more bulbs & the switch, enabling many of my rooms to be controllable by Hue.

Day after day, update after update, not once has it faulted, which from my foray into smart home products, is very impressive. Apple HomeKit & Amazon Alexa compatibility works incredibly well (a little bit frustrating using Alexa with the Hue, but this is an Alexa thing, not a Hue thing) and app integration is something that I use quite a lot now - particularly Sleep Cycle and the gradual light wake.

Pricing, though, was very, very steep, and I was alright paying for it as it was clearly light years ahead of the competition - but now that entrants like Belkin & IKEA are releasing their offerings into the Australian market at a much lower price, it'll become harder to justify staying in the Hue ecosystem, especially when the competing products become (inevitably) integrated with HomeKit. Bulb size availability is scarce also, with only the most popular ones available - doesn't nearly cover the fittings around the house. For those, it isn't a home run, but if you want one of the best smart home offerings & don't mind the price, the Hue is your pick.

Thanks for your kind words, Gabe! Have a nice day. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Colorful

Philips Hue light strip is easy to use and configure. It can be remotely handled and using disco app, home ambience can be changed to colourful . Philips Hue is one of the best-developed DIY smart-home platforms money can buy, and this white-light starter kit is your most affordable entry point. It's practically a must-buy if you're serious about smart lighting.

Hi there, Thanks for sharing your helpful review here! Good to hear we have fans. ;) We hope you were able to liven up your living room! You know where to find us if you have any questions. Kind regards, The Philips Australia team

Decorate with light

I've recently purchased the V2.0 Philips Hue smart lighting. I'm still playing with the various effects but I'm very impressed so far. I have two bulbs and a lightstrip in the bedroom, two bulbs in the living room and four downlights in the kitchen, all in colour. I also have one white bulb outside the front door and two dimmer switches. I have the Philips hub cabled into my modem.
The lighting system can be controlled in a number of ways.
Firstly through the Philips Hue app which is free. The app connects each bulb to the hub via wifi. Unfortunately you will need to write down each serial number from each globe and manually type these into the app because the search function won't work without it. (it is supposed to) This is a small inconvenience. The Philips app also groups each set of lights into zones so you can control each room separately, as well as changing globe colours and has some automation features. It lacks variety in "scenes" (creating moods to suit) but has good basic functionality.
Another way of controlling the lights is through a third party app. Philips has released the hub as open source, so there are countless apps that have the ability to control scenes, automation and effects.
The third way is via Google nest and Apple Homekit. I am using the Apple Homekit automation and it has been working great. I have it set to turn on the bedroom lights on weekdays as the alarm goes off and also for the front lights and living room lights to turn on when approaching the front door. It has location awareness and knows when you or someone else in your Homekit group approaches. Homekit also allows for voice control via Siri. "Living room lights 50% red" and bam... the lights are red at half brightness. There is a list of colours on Wikipedia that Siri recognises.
I also have dimmer switches for manual control when you don't have your phone handy and these are magnetically attached to their wall brackets so you can have them on the coffee table for ease of use. Each dimmer switch is programmable with six different lighting scenes.

I am still playing with the scenes and automations but so far I'm loving my new lighting system. The "lightstrip plus" looks fantastic behind the bedhead and in time I'll get more lightstrips.

The down side is the cost.
It can be quite pricey to set up a house but I look at it as creating an environment in the same way that painting the walls, art or furniture would do the same except I can change the mood in an instant with colour.
Also, swapping out all my globes for LED's means less power bills and the globes should last at least a few years.

Thanks for this detailed review! Have a nice day. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team