Philips Ultra-Thin HD4992/72

Philips Ultra-Thin HD4992/72 Questions & Answers

MPN: HD4992-72

9 questions from our users

Alanasked

I am trying to understand how this more expensive model works. I have one of the cheaper Philips portable units already. This, like others, and unlike built-in cooktops, cycles on and off when on low settings. This is a big problem, as is the lack of a power setting below 100 watts. Does this 'premium' model actually have a continuously variable output at low settings, and can it run at below 100 watts average when on a low setting? If not, how can the higher price be justified?

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the question. We'd like to take a closer look at this, so could we ask you to give us a call at 1300 363 391 or message us on Facebook or Twitter (@PhilipsCare)? Our colleagues would be happy to look into this and see what can be done. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Alan

OK I will ring you in the next few days

DrM

DrMasked

Was convinced to buy the higher quality ultra thin top of the portable range which was a waste of money. If these things are meant to be disposable after a year, which I doubt, they are way over priced. While the induction worked for some things like boiling water I too experienced the same issues that other people had with it switching off mid cook which was very annoying when cooking steaks and low heat just pulsed on and off which was annoying and inefficient. After a year of use one evening I noticed the heat was really missing when cooking a steak even though the settings were normal making it very underdone. Then the next day it wouldn't even turn on. It's useless and expensive didn't last much beyond a year. I've used induction tops for a several years with none of these problems this definitely is the worst I've used. I would like a refund.... I posted this as a private message to Phillips and they said they would contact me but nothing has happened. Poor product poor after sales service. Don't Buy this induction hob from Phillips

Hema

Hemaasked

My Philips induction cooktop single 4929 has been in use for the past two years. But it’s working is not predictable. Many times it does not switch after powering . Sometimes if I put it out in the sun and heat it , it works! Probably water getting into the display from my steam cooker. What should I do? Bought cooker in India

FragTamer

Hi. You could be right regarding liquids finding their way in, as is part of the issue with fast boil-overs from a unit that is over-powered for purpose, and little control over that even at lowest setting.

Phillips will tell you to take it to an authorized service center, where you'll get slugged more than what the unit is worth.

I'd fix it myself, and reseal the glass top, but chances are the damage internally may require parts, and quite frankly, particularly after my experience, you're better off cutting the cord off it whilst not plugged in of course, and disgard the unit in the trash where it belongs, and always has from new. Phillips cares little for this unit being as it is, and no revision has been made apparent. They continue to sell them as is.

I lost cofidence in Phillips as a company with poor efforts in resolutions, and no rectification on dangerous issues, just empty words of assurance. They just keep churning them out. You got sucked in unfortunately. Money well spent? Are you happy with your purchase? I returned mine promptly. It baffles me why everyone else holds onto them after experiencing these units out of the box.

Philips S.Philips

Hi Hema, thank you for reaching out. We regret hearing that you're experiencing some issues with your Induction cooker. It would be great if you could give our product specialists a call at 1300 363 391 (Australia) or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand), so they can look into this further. We're hoping to hear from you and we wish you a very nice week.

Bryanasked

Can you set the timer in 1 minute increments as opposed the 5 minute increments that its defaults to?

ftmix1
ftmix1

Don't know don't use it

FragTamer

It's been a while since I had one so can't remember, but considering power level presets are so extreme, no short amount of timer will prevent your food overheating, boiling over, or burning. Read my review here. I am waiting for proper response, and my god, a realistic recall, or fix from Philips in relation to this model, and rectify everything that makes it the worst purchase I had ever made. Hope this helps.

Bryan

I spoke to Philips and they said the cheaper model the HD4937 can have the timer set in 1 minute increments the more expensive one the HD4992 only allows for 5 minute increments. Who was the genius that thought of this limitation on the timer? Obviously not a cook.

Michael Griffiths

Michael Griffithsasked

I am very iterested in the HD4992/72.
Would you please tell me what the individual temperature settings are in Celsius.
Regards, Michael Griffiths

wanted-66

It does not use deg C for settings, they are in Watts
100W is the lowest up to 2000W

Carlos

Carlosasked

Bought it at Bing Lee.
There is EC0 on my cooker when it's off but connected to power, is it normal ? Is it an error code?
Also there is some ticking sound when I use it, it seems to be the sound when it tries to heat up and stop, but it seems so random and some time my cookware is not heated up as I wanted, tested with the magnet and it is suitable for the cooker. Can anyone help answer ?

Philips S.Philips

Hi Carlos, thanks for asking. We advise you to call us on 1300 363 391 (if you are based in Australia) for further assistance.

Mondays to Fridays: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm EST
Saturdays: 7:00 am - 1:00 pm EST

Or you can always send us a message on Facebook or Twitter. We like to get in touch and see if we can help you.

Dave Walsh

Dave Walshasked

Does this cooker actually simmer very low?

Need new chiller
Need new chiller

Yes it does simmer at very low setting. However the heat comes on and off (like a microwave). Much more to learn about the pre programmed features though.. In the meantime, when in doubt, use the manual controls :)

wanted-66

Yes, the lowest setting is 100W. It will simmer, just.
On manual control it goes from 100W to 2100W. 100W still not low enough to melt chocolate directly without burning (not using double boiler).
I make great coffee with an induction espresso pot (Bialetti brand), takes less than 2 minutes to brew a 6 cup pot on 1000W

zee

It's not like reducing a typical gas burner to the lowest level. 100w boiled my sauce for example.

wanted-66asked

I have bought one from Bing Lee, and I really like it. I just have trouble using the timer, I must not be quite pressing the right things...!
Could you please create some you tube videos? It would really help to actually see people doing the settings, not just printed instructions.
Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for reaching out. At the moment, we don't have any plans to release YouTube tutorials about such things but we're happy to help. You can use the Preset/Cooking Time icon to decide how much time you want the appliance to work at different cooking modes.
1 Follow the steps in “Preparing for use”.
2 Touch the On/Off icon, the On/Off indicator lights up.
3 Choose the desired cooking mode.
4 Touch the Preset/Cooking Time icon twice, the timer indicator lights up.
5 Move your nger on the power slider upwards to set minute and downwards to set hour.
6 When the time has elapsed, the induction cooker turns off automatically.

If this doesn't help you out, and if you're based in Australia, please call 1300 363 391 to get in touch with our product specialists. They might be able to assist you further.

MinnieG

MinnieGasked

What is the maximum size diameter for cookware?

Hi Minnie,

Thanks for asking. Are you interested in the induction cooker? There is not a maximum size actually! The only thing the manual says about this is: Make sure the cookware is made of steel, iron or aluminum with stainless steel cladding base and has a base diameter larger than 12cm.

The Philips Australia team

zee

The safety note with the manual says keep pots within the cooking zone, which is 20cm. The manual is barely more than what Ikea supply with their products it's so bad.

Get an answer from our members and Philips representatives