Philips Viva Collection Induction Cooker HD4937/72

Philips Viva Collection Induction Cooker HD4937/72

MPN: 36526754

Good for a bach or a small flat

Bought this when I’m temporarily living in a small flat. The pre-set cooking functions are fine, but you need to watch it carefully. It can be dangerous. I use the manual function mostly. It is like using a normal stove cooktop. You need to adjust accordingly. I found it is actually quite useful when there is no cooking facilities or lack of space. I can cook anything on it, as long as I keep an eye on it. Very fast when it comes to boiling water. I don’t use my electric jag anymore. I think the noise is more of a problem. The fan goes pretty loud. Other than that, I am happy.

Purchased in March 2019 at Noel Leeming Physical store.

Waste of money.

Was talked into buying this at Harvey Norman . Not user friendly . Waste of money. Hate it. I bought it for guest unit. When I first used it it boiled everything too fast . So I stopped using it. No one has used it so I tried again today . Won’t stop beeping . Will have to throw it out and get something else.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

MillypillySouth East Queensland, QLD

Keeps cutting out

I wish wish wish I’d read the reviews before I bought this. I had a much cheaper brand that I had for years before it died. I decided to purchase a better quality from a brand I knew and trusted. Big mistake. It cuts out constantly about every 2-3 minutes if I have it above 800, so much for frying and using a wok. Honestly it’s rubbish. Sorry!

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Millypilly

Thanks very much for the reply. I will definitely try this mode. Coukd i suggest the instructions are reviewed?

Millypilly

My hd4937 does not have a fry mode, the button on the photo supplied says fry but on my machine it says “manual”, this is the mode I’m having trouble with. I’ll phone the hotline.

AussieRozzie

AussieRozzieBurdekin

Biggest piece of rubbish I have ever purchased

Like many other users here I am extremely disappointed with this appliance. The supposed manual function does not perform at all. Why is there no option to just select a power option eg 400w and leave it at that till you want to switch it off. I have never been able to do this regardless of what function I select. It either turns off or changes power level on its own accord. Like the post before me I want my money back. And your manual is not even useful for any purpose, not even toilet paper.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

James G

James GMelbourne

Absolute Garbage

We've had nothing but trouble with this thing since we bought it. The power is way too strong even on the lowest settings, and it shuts down by itself at random. The other day we were using it to cook chicken pasta sauce, and it burned some of the chicken pieces black on the outside while leaving them undercooked on the inside. We've had to stop using it because we're worried about getting food poisoning from undercooked meat. All in all, it's absolute garbage and I would not recommend to anyone.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Hate it with a vengence

I am very very disappointed with my Phillips induction cook top. I can’t move away from it as it cuts out every 2 mins very very irritated, not user friendly at all. I DONT WANT IT ANYMORE, cheaper induction portable cooktop much more reliable, how can I get money back,

Date PurchasedJun 2017

skippy

skippyBrisbane

It was good while it lasted

This was my first induction cooker.
It was great, I used it nearly everyday instead of electric or gas.
It makes boiling water easy with timer that can be set to go off.
Cooking was great, it has enough power to do stir fly.
The area of cooking was enough for all my pots and pans.
I think it saved me money, because gas and electric cost more.
Because it is portable I sometimes use it for hot pot on the dining table for family gatherings.
I really liked it, however after a bit more than a year or so it stopped working. It didn’t turn on.
It was good while it lasted.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

BruceMUlverstone

Salesman sold a pup

Purchased to simmer/reduce tomatoes in a stock pot for sauce and tomato paste.
Salesman said it had temperature control, but it does not - it only has thermostat control which is very crude and burns the sauce to the bottom of the pot. I can't use a temperature controller as the cooker will not turn on if the power supply is controlled, and the timer cuts the power within 2 hours if it is not reset.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Luger

LugerHamilton Nz

Paul GOOD VERY GOOD I WOULDIN'T SAY PERFECT NOTHING IS

i have had mine for about 3 weeks now but i am very pleased with it I got it home could hardly see user manual lost my glasses Plugged it in and figured it out for myself within about half hour And havin't looked back one thing i would say is make your print on the user manual bigger so it can be seen clearly To many manufacturer's are going that way now they seem to like small print (But other then that very happy)

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Hello Luger,
we're very happy to hear that one of our Induction Cookers has found its way home to you and that you love using it! Thank you for your review and the provided feedback, it's much appreciated.

MikeSydney Surrounds, NSW

Awful

I am a senior age solo male. I purchased my Philips induction cooker thinking it would make life easier in the kitchen..... well...l nothing but frustration..... doesn’t seem to matter what setting I use this thing boils the guts out of whatever I try to cook.... I purchased the Philips brand because I thought it was quality.... a big mistake.... and the instruction manual is useless..... it’s going in the rubbish.... and no more Philips products fo me and I told all my children

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Mike

Thanks for reply, I threw the cooker in the rubbish bin

Phillips induction cooker never again

This is the worst product I have ever purchased. You have no control it has a mine of it's own. It Just keeps to boiling rapidly and continuously burns everything you try to cook. I have never been so disappointed in a product as I was in this one.Never buy a Phillips induction cooker.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Deena
Deena

Sorry your is to late it has a new home at the op shop. Regards Deena

Instructions still wrong

On boil the default is 20 minutes not 3 and can't be changed. The other programmes don't seem to relate to any useful cooking activity. Slow cooking gets out of control very quickly. Hot pot seems to work on manual control only. Please bring out a corrected information sheet. Poor show Philips.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Navvy

NavvyPerth

Still poor instructions

Instructions are absolutely terrible and don't instruct one iota. Once you throw them away and fiddle it cooks OK. Philips have been roasted throughout this review page for this glaring misstep but choose not to do a thing about it. Bad Philips....act on advice. That aside it cooks great soup on a low heat using Saute and 100w.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

RobSt Leonards

Automatic change in heat temp

After 3-4 minutes it automatically jumps to full heating power & boils everything over. No matter what the selected menu is.
Having read other reviews, we too have experienced similar issues.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Thanks - will try

Awful product terrible customer service from Philips

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Philips S.Philips

Worthless manual and many settings should be avoided

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Weight issues?

I have been using this for a year, hardly ever though because I can only use it with one wok. It seems as though it only can sense the weight of particular pots and saucepans but can't detect anything other than the one wok. The sad thing is it is becoming damaged- will I have to purchase heavier pots and pans just to use this? It continuously just beeps when I put anything else on it.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

This is rubbish

I bought this to give me something to cook on during a kitchen upgrade. The first time that I used it it adjusted it's temperature and damaged an expensive saucepan that was one of a set and is no longer made. This cooktop also seems to have a hot-spot in it exactly where my saucepan was blistered. Calling the call centre is a waste of time because this is in the Phillipines and the staff referred me to companies that had never heard of this appliance. This appliance will put me off buying anything branded Philips. I will avoid their products from now on.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Peacebrother
Peacebrother

I did send my email, but have not heard from Philips

This is the second one that has stopped working mid-cook!

I purchased one from JB hi fi and used it for about 6 months and one day it just stopped working? Took it back to JB who gave me a new one without too much hassle. This one lasted less than 6 months! I was cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning when a flash (like lightning) came out. It tripped the safety circuit and now it doesn't work either. I will be taking this one back to JBs and asking for a refund. I don't want to be electrocuted whilst cooking! Very bad experience Phillips! Took it back to JBs this morning, FULL REFUND - decided not to try my luck for a third time!

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Jan

JanPerth, Western Australia

So disappointed at dreadfully inadequate instructions

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Philips S.Philips

Hello Jan, thanks for sharing your concerns and the valuable feedback. We can imagine your frustration. Please call us on 1300 363 391, we’d like to get in touch and see if we can help you.

Mehul B.

Mehul B.asked

My Philips induction was on at 160 degrees and completely shut down on its own. It won't turn back on. Please help?

Philips S.Philips

Hello there, Mehul. Thanks for reaching out to us about this. We're sorry to hear your induction isn't turning on anymore. We want to look further into it to see how we can help. Could you reach out to us at 1300 363 391 (Australia) or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand)? Then our product team can look into it for you. We recommend putting the induction aside until they've had a look at it. You can also send us a message on Facebook or on Twitter (@Philipscare), whichever is more convenient for you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Corrine

Corrineasked

I pluggedcmy induction cooker in fof the first time and turned it on pressed soup and it just keeps beeping

Philips S.Philips

Hi Corrine, nice to hear that you've gotten yourself a Viva Collection Induction Cooker! We can imagine that you'd like to use the device as soon as possible. What could cause it to beep, is if unsuitable cookware has been put on the cooking plate or if the cookware has been removed from the cooking plate during cooking. Make sure the cookware is made of steel, iron or aluminum with stainless steel cladding base and has a base diameter larger than 12cm. What could also cause the cooker to beep, is if the cookware is placed outside of the cooking zone. If none of the above is the case, then please give our specialists a call at 1300 363 391 (Australia) or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand). Then they can investigate the device's behaviour further. We wish you a very nice rest of the week.

Jim W.

Jim W.asked

I have two HD 4937 induction cooktops. There is NO manual setting, and ALL presets are on a timer, including saute, roast, fry, and hot pot. There is always a 2 minute countdown! Ridiculous. Pasta takes 10 minutes to cook, and boiled potatoes even longer! What's with that? How can I disable the timer and the temperature setting lower by itself?

Eric
Eric

I’ve got the later model - they changed the print of “Fry” button to “Manual” button. I think they work exactly the same. If you turn on your machine, and press the Fry button, it should default to 1200 w, and 2 hrs timer. You can adjust the power manually - try not to get it too high, otherwise, it will over heat and shuts itself down. Generally, I start from 1200 to boil the water, then bring it down to 400 once the water is boiling to cook pasta. It works well for me. For stirfry, I start with 1200, then down to between 800 and 400. You kinda of have to treat it like gas top cooker. You need to keep an eye on it, adjust accordingly. Most of the time, I don’t need more than 2 hrs cooking. So the timer doesn’t really bother me. In general, I found when cook with liquid, higher power is fine, but fry with little or none oil, you need to start on high - no more than 1200, then bring it low. It will cook. If you wish to simmer, bring the liquid to boil - don’t forget to keep stirring, then bring it down to 100 and cover the lid.

Please note, since the time I got it, I’ve only used the “Manual” function, which I do hope it is the same as your “Fry” button.

Hopefully, this helps.

Philips S.Philips

Hi Jim. Thanks for reaching out. We're sorry to hear you can't find the right setting on your induction cooker. You should be able to disable the timer and adjust the temperatures by following these steps:

• During cooking, you can change the power level by
pressing the Increase ( ) or Decrease ( ) button.
• In Water ( ), Soup ( ), Steam/Stew ( ), Congee ( )
and Milk ( ) modes, the cooking power automatically
changes for better cooking result.

• After you have selected the cooking time, wait for a
few seconds before the induction cooker automatically
confirms it.
• After the timer is set, you can press the Preset/Timer
button ( ) again to cancel the timer

Hopefully this helps.

The Philips Australia Team

Get an answer from our members and Philips representatives

CategoryPortable Cooktops