PJ Burns Questions & Answers

10 questions from our users

TGBasked

Is anyone else having issues getting their 12 month rectification works completed? Every maintenance manager seems to leave PJs before our house issues are rectified leaving us with unmonitored emails (black holes) and lots of hand balling in their office.

TGB

Thought it worth providing an update... the latest excuse from their maintenance manager is they are too busy and don't have enough resources. He also blames his trades and/or lack of people available to complete the jobs. Not sure how this helps me. They spruked wanting to build more custom designs when they signed us up but it would appear anything outside their standard range is a problem for them.

Gary H.

Hey TGB..... yes i am having issues with PJ myself.... not happy with the bully boys in the office at all.

TGBasked

Gary H.

Hey ..... like to know more about PJs as i am almost at handover but things not built to plan or specs

TGB

We have had numerous maintenance managers as their staff turnover is high. Each new manager wants to start the investigations from scratch. The latest tactic is telling us that they dont believe it is a warranty issue despite all previous maintenance staff agreeing it is. They are now saying they are getting another opinion on our issues. From who..... another stall perhaps....

PLM

PLMasked

Hi.

My mother wants to build a big single story house (around 400-500 sqm) which has a parent retreat with kitchenette.

Would you do a custom design/building?

Cheers,
Boram.

Hi Boram,

Thanks sincerely for your enquiry.

Of course we can help out with a custom design. Would you like to contact me at hello@pjburns.com and I can chat to you further about your requirements and location of the build?

Also check out the Gemini 378 on our website. It might have some of the features you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Courtney Burns

MichealJ

MichealJasked

@aroth, re: your updated review from last year. Have your issues been sorted yet?

Hi Michael,
This client will probably be in contact, but I am happy to chat with you also. We are a company that prides ourselves on client relationships and after sales service, and we work hard to do so. In this instance, we are confident that we have given our utmost, but reading this review it certainly doesn't appear that way. As with everything in life, there are two sides to every story. As this client mentioned, he did contact the QBCC who attended and let him know this was general home owner maintenance, typical of a home that is 4 years old. We then offered to help him, if he was happy to pay, which he wasn't. We will always cover any maintenance that is our responsibility, but sometimes a tap washer simply needs to be replaced. I am contactable on 5457 7600 at anytime if you would like to chat in person.
Kind regards,
Courtney Burns
PJ Burns Builder

Woods
Woods

Hi yes the issues are finally resolved because QBCC and Master Builders Hold PJ Burns against the contract. So Make sure that your contract is Master Builders Contract in full (no changes).

In General we are very happy with the house the PJ Burns Built for us. They built to my specifications. Good architect and good managers who care about their business.

Here is my advise:
1) specify your requirement IN THE CONTRACT in full details.
2) make sure the start and finish date is populated in the contract
3) written instructions in emails have not much value put it in the contract
4) review all the details in the contract
5) before making payments inspect the construction house with the supervisor and rectify all issued BEFORE making the payment
6) Practical completion date is very important - if the issues are not minor do not accept Practical Completion (we had a lot of dramas with this).
7) If they have not given you the keys and you cannot live in the house, the construction is NOT practically complete.

Is PJ Burns a good company? YES they are very good. I am VERY HAPPY with my house.

Did everything go well without complications? NO

They dumped construction waste from other sites into my land that was very disappointing
(black sticky stuff that is still after 2 years giving off very bad smell ..)

On the positive side, very happy with their electricians who did all I asked for.

PJ Burn recommended a laundry tub that we are very happy with.
Their architect changed the plan in a very practical way.
Happy with their A/C contractor, tilers, plumber, etc.

IF YOU can specify it in full detail they CAN build it for you
Good luck :)

Kate Mawson
Kate Mawson

Hi Courtney, seeing as you can reply to a review online maybe you could find the time to reply to my email and actually provide a signed copy (or proof we were provided them) of the general conditions you're trying to hold us to?

Cowgirlasked

Good Afternoon.

My husband received an email from the builder we were dealing with for over 6 months saying they will no longer build our house. We are devastated. The delay has simply been due to the mistakes and lack of communication from them.

We are now seeking a builder to build our dream home.

I am just checking because I don't think you will build in our area. We own an acre at New Beith in Logan.

Do you build this far ? If not ate you able to suggest any builders you would highly recommend.

Kind regards.

J Clark

PJB are based in Mooloolaba but I think they build in all parts of Brisbane. On balance I would not recommend them as builders, their communications are also very deficient.

Cowgirl

Thank you for your response. Do you recommend anyone to build a house. We are finding it so hard to find a builder who you can trust.

Have you heard anything about Qld one homes?

We need a custom builder.

Thank you.

Marie

It would be more appropriate for you to contact P J Burns directly with your question. Their response would also help you to assess the quality of their communication.

nicmartinasked

Hi guys, we are currently looking at a 3/4 acre block and they have their own set builder, although I can use mine. Had always had my heart set on Pj, but their one also seems equally good value for money. I am just after a rough cost of a basic house, 4/2, single storey, turnkey type. I have checked their website and have a fair idea but just after a better idea from previous builders of their inclusions etc and whether they are worth whatever extra it costs to change certain things. Thanks.

Marie

Our house (a custom design 2-level on a narrow lot) is very different from the one you are planning, so we can't really help. I'd recommend that you talk to P J Burns - and the other builder you are considering - directly. Then you'll be better prepared to make what is an incredibly important decision.

Hi,
We'd be very happy to answer any questions or concerns directly, if you'd like more information on our plans and inclusions please feel free to contact PJ Burns directly via our website or phone head office on 0754489900.
We have inclusions lists and turnkey packages readily available that can be emailed or mailed out for you to review and as stated above we offer custom designs.

Great thanks so much pj

Nickyasked

We are looking for a builder to custom build on Marcus Beach, an established area in the next few months. Like to know your experiences with P.J.Burns in the last 12 months? Were you happy with the end result, did they follow up on any outstanding issues during the maintenance period? Was their site supervisor knowledgeable to oversee the tradies completion of tasks and did he quickly follow through any major issues, eg. rain through the roof, that could damage flooring etc?. Did the tradies leave the site in a clean, safe condition and respect the neighbours properties? In other words does P J Burns have a benchmark or commitments from their tradies? We have built a few times and been terribly disappointed on the lack of commitment or respect from the tradies to people's properties. Would love to hear comments. Thanks, Nicky

Marie

We only moved in to our new house in November 2013 so we are still within the maintenance period. So far there have been no outstanding issues, and given the quality of our build, we are not expecting any to develop. Our building supervisor was on site most days, checking on progress, but the majority of PJ Burns’ tradies seemed to have worked for/with the company for years - they knew their work and the standards that were expected. (Rain? What rain?) Naturally the building site was a mess at times, but this situation was regularly rectified.

I’m not able to comment on the tradies’ commitment to neighbouring properties, as at the time our next-door neighbours were also building (ours was the middle project in a row of three blocks, split from a very large block in an old established area). All three houses were built by different firms, all commenced and were competed within 2-3 weeks of each other, so for several months our street was anything but peaceful. Although we heard no complaints, fellow residents must have breathed a sigh of relief when all three houses were finally completed.

J Clark

We have considerable experience with residential building projects and can recommend PJB to a home builder. That is not to say that they were perfect, far from it. We had great difficulties communicating with the building supervisor. He would ignore our concerns and there were several instances of considerable rework. We had to go over his head on occasion. He rejected a maintenance period request and it was only after I made an unfavourable comment on this web site that PJB fixed the problem. We did find their tradies to be exceptional. They were polite and professional and the one complaint from a neighbour about loud music was promptly fixed. The workmanship was great and that's what really counts at the end of the day. PJB are better than most but you absolutely need to carefully supervise their work.

I am aware that there have been considerable changes in senior staff in the last few months, and my comments may not still be valid.

Nicky

Marie & J. Clark, Thank you for your speedy responses. We had bad experience with a home built 3 years ago, particularly experience & attention to detail of site supervisor & quality of the trades people. We found tradies use unsupervised apprentices who have no idea as to the proper placement of light switches and associated fittings. Found quality of workmanship of some carpenters abysmal and some plumbers like to change the position of water heaters and shower mixers to suit their convenience. Good trades people well supervised is all we are really asking for. With respect to your (J C) problem with the site supervisor. Was there another manager above the site supv. to whom you could address your concerns? Did any of you use the services of an independent Building Inspector/Surveyor/Engineer to check the quality of the workmanship and the conformity to the wkg drawings? Understand that you may not wish to make unfavorable comments in public, my email (nickyshaw@email.com)

New to building

New to buildingasked

Has what type of house did you build how big and how much it cost

Marie

We were looking for a 2-storey house suitable for a narrow suburban block. P J Burns’ architect came up with a unique custom design which gave us everything we’d asked for in just over 300 sq. m., quoted at a price which compared favourably with standard display homes we’d looked at around Brisbane. With regard to cost, apart from value for money we also appreciated the fact that unlike many other project builders, P J Burns requires that every detail, right down to the smallest cupboard door handle, must be specified before the building contract is signed. So we knew exactly what we would be paying - there were no unexpected expenses at any time.

Shane and Tracey
Shane and Tracey

We built a low set brick tile roof: it came to a total of 365 sq m.4 bed formal dinning/lounge office. As it was our custom design with allot of upgrades (some of them being stove/oven carpets bathroom/kitchen laundry sinks and taps electrical + more): extra large rooms including a ensuite larger than spare rooms.I think it would be unfair to give the cost but i can say we were very happy with the price with out seeing what we ended up with.I have no hesatation in suggesting you visit PJ BURNS and have a chat and get quote.There was even some suggestions that PJ BURNS gave us and we went with them and we are glad we did so.

Angelshai

Angelshaiasked

We are finding it is really hard to decide between a big name builder in Brisbane and PJ Burns. Has anyone in Brisbane built with them recently? Is their attention to detail and communication still good even when the project is so far from Sunshine Coast?

I had a very good experience with PJ Burns building in Maroochydore.
Can I suggest that you ask PJ Burns to give you some names of people that have build homes for in Brisbane.

prickle

prickleasked

We are looking for a builder to build on the sunshine coast and was wondering if anyone has used pj burns and what there standards are like eg. inclusions to pick from and what they are like to deal with?

We found PJB very easy to deal with, from design right through construction to hand over. The colour selection and inclusions was good fun, easy to do and we did not go over our base price by very much which was not the case last time I built (with a different builder). We were very happy with the finished product and have not had any problems since even with all that rain we continue to get.
I felt confident with PJB knowing that they have been on the coast for 35 years or so.
Hope that helps.

Jayne M
Jayne M

We built our house while we were living elsewhere, skyped the plan to our cutom built requirements, found everything very good. After 6 mths have been back for their follow up maintenance which was not much and that is all sorted. Nothing was to much trouble have built 4 times before and this was by far the best and least stressful even though we were not present through the build. We chose mid range pc items and everything we got was A1. From what I have seen of some of the other builders standards, PJ's leave them behind. Would build with them again anyday. Not the cheapest but reasonable and remember you get what you pay for. It you choose to use them hope you are as happy as we are.

Get an answer from our members and PJ Burns representatives