Powershop Australia

Powershop Australia Questions & Answers (page 2)

ConsumerMan

G'day Powershop Team. My app was updated today to the new "days, dollars, savings" format. It looks like I will be able to handle the change. One thing I don't understand is why my number of days of pre-purchased power has increased with the new app. This morning, on the old app, I had 14 days of power left and was getting ready to buy some more when suddenly the new app arrives telling me I now have 39 days of power remaining. Can you please explain.

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Alan, thanks for writing. That sounds a bit funny - can you please DM us your registered e-mail ID so we can look into this? Thanks, Adi

ConsumerMan

Thanks Adi for your quick response. I have now done my own calculations and believe the days of power remaining is correct. Under the old unit cost method I was actually starting to get concerned because the estimated usage you were displaying on my app for the current month seemed to be far too high. The new $$ method has made the current period more consistant with previous months and with my spread sheet where I compare daily Powershop pricing with my previous energy retailer together with a couple of your competitors.

frustrated

Oct 2016: Anybody else having problems with SP Ausnet (supplier) meter readings not corresponding with Powershop meter 'readings' as set out on my Powershop 'invoices'? I just want my smart meter readings to be the same as those entered (and supplied by SP Ausnet to Powershop), to be the same!! All very frustrating and I would say fraudulent! Powershop need to jump up and down on SP Ausnet!

Lanne
Lanne

Oh really?! I have no idea. I know my meter readings on Powershop only get updated periodically but haven't checked them against ap ausnet...

mac
mac

I am having the same issue that you seem to be having, with the reads being different between the power retailer (Powershop) and Poles and Wire provider (Ausgrid in NSW), but everything seems to show that the error is with Powershop and not Ausgrid.

I know that in NSW your can contact your Pole and Wires provider and request a detailed breakdown of your meter readings over a period of time. (I'm not sure if you can get the same info from Ausnet in Vic).

Strangely, if you go into your Powershop Login and go to usage and then the TAB "Your Rates", it gives you a more detailed breakdown of your usage and an different usage "estimate" which exactly corresponds with the readings that Ausgrid provide.

So Powershop have an identical usage "estimate" to Ausgrid readings, but choose to calculate my usage based on a different estimate that is higher than the Ausgrid reading.

Powershops unit pricing model is designed so there is no transparency with pricing and is nearly impossible to cross check your usage figures.

Thanks for your advice! I'm still investigating... Regards

Jack1987

Hi everyone, maybe someone can help me and explain me how notice them for cancelling my contract?

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Jack, not quite sure what you mean? We don't have any lock-in contract. Would you like us to give you a call? Just DM us your best time and number. Thanks, Adi

Jack1987

So, it is right. I'll explain better. I just move out and live the city and I don't want to pay anymore after that I'll leave the apartment. How is working?

Jack1987

I'm still waiting for an answer. Thanks

I'm still waiting.

UserisAnonymous
UserisAnonymous

They asked you for your number and best time to call, so until you do that you will keep waiting.

ConsumerMan

How can I see from the Powershop app, or my account on the website, the actual dollar cost of my power in previous billing cycles? Because I pre-purchase my power, previous billing cycles show as a negative left over dollar amount and negative unit use. Is there a function I have not found yet?

COS70
COS70

This is easy to see on the app it gives you a graph of monthly use with the average unit price u payed for the month.

RebeccaFK
RebeccaFK

I can see each previous months cost under both balance (the circles for buying) & insights (the column graphs) from the menu (top left in the app). If you're new it might take a month or two to display normally but after that it should be ok. I would contact Powershop if its not.

ConsumerMan

Thanks for answers. I think I know why it is showing a negative dollar amount and negative units. I am thinking it is because of the $75 joining credit. The cost of my first month power was less than the credit. OK should be easier to understand next month.

Eddie

A query in relation to the rolling 3 month window for the Online Saver (Vic)

On the 1st of each month there is a price adjustment resulting from the earliest month in the window being replaced with the next future month in the sequence. My query is about the first month of the rolling window (currently January). Putting historical considerations aside and assuming smart meter installation, is January's daily average ‘actual’ (based on meter read on the 31st of Jan ) or is it a prediction comprising actual month review data (on 21st for me) which is extrapolated to cover the whole month?

Eddie

Subsequently clarified with Powershop. Actual meter readings at the end of the month are used. I initially was under the impression that meter readings were only used at the billing cycle review.

melli

Why am I buying power for .59c but in my app it's saying I'm paying .69c a kw?

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Melli, can you share your registered e-mail address as a private message, so we can have a look at this for you. Cheers, Adi

melli

It seems to have fixed itself up now. Are you able to help me with my previous inquiry please.melli

I have just changed to powershop but am paying .59 a kw where with my other company it was about .51 and then I got 30% off that again. Why are some people that post here saying they are paying only .29 or .35 and I am paying .59 at the lowest? When my account is reviewed on the 18th for the first time will I also get some kind of a discount of something?

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Melli, sometimes comparing prices with other retailers is a bit tricky. As our unit price is made up all components of your charge, whereas many retailers separate your usage and fixed charges - so very often its not an apples for apples comparison. The reason why your price might be different to other can be due to many reasons 1) you may come under different distributors, 2) every customer's unit price depends on their respect usage. A unit is an all-inclusive price, combining your energy rate and daily charge (inc.GST). When you have lower usage the daily charge spreads across the daily charge across more less unit, thus resulting in a higher unit price. Conversely,if you use more units of power, the daily charge is spread across more units making the unit price lower (but you buy more of them). To get a visual of this, you can head to Usage, then Your Rates in your online account and have a look at the breakdown; - it can sometimes make it a little easier to understand. Also, happy to have one of the team give you a call to walk you through it if that helps.

Cheer, Adi

melli

OK so I got a call on Monday for someone to explain any discounts etc. Thank you but if I look at my previous provider and take the total of the bill including kw usage, gst, service charges (as a whole as like you charge) and device that by my kw usage for that bill I am given a per kw price of .56c and with my discount from them it brings it down to .48c per kw. I'm paying .59c per kw with you and I thought you were the cheaper alternative but at a difference of that much you are costing me an EXTRA $25 a month and that's probably a minimum! Very disappointed and will most likely be changing back unless I can be offered anything better.

Natter
Natter

The rate is per unit not kW. Each unit includes one kW plus a share of the fixed costs.

I find the best way to work out what it's costing me is to login and look at 'Account Statements' in the 'transactions' tab. When I do that the price is still really good even though my unit price is currently 53c/ unit for the discounted green packs. The unit price is pretty confusing because of the tendency to relate it to the price per kW hr.

Also I think you took 30% off the competitors total charge when I expect that would be only of the electricity price.

Orion
Orion

I have solar panels and receive a rebate on my electricity. Would this be lost if I changed to Powershop?

Alex P
Alex P

I have no clue. Might be a question for their customer service.

If you want $75 in Powershop credits, follow the link below and sign up.

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Orion, you won't lose your government rebates. Let us know if you would like us to give you a call. Would just need you to send your best phone number over a private message. Alternatively, you can give us a ring on 1800 462 668. Adi

Shaheen
Shaheen

Hi! Yes, would like to join this war against CSG. I'm moving to a new property on the 26th of Nov. Is that too little notice for you to set up? Please let me know. Would love to switch and give this a go.

HS

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Shaheen, sorry for the late response. Would you still like to have your power setup?

You can sign up here: external link

Or feel free to give us a call at 1800 462 668.

Cheers, Adi

Eric

I am thinking of changing to Powershop for environmental reasons. I don't care if it costs a little more, although I hope not too much more. Most comments here are positive, but the negative ones mostly say either (a) costs were too high or (b) the ongoing management process was too complex and time consuming.

I don't want to spend time managing an energy portfolio, I want to "set and forget". (1) Can I do that with Powershop? (2) If I choose the greenest plan and use about 25-30 kwh per day, what roughly will it cost me?

Thanks!

Sandy
Sandy

You would need to talk to power shop about pricing for your area. There is a default price you will pay if you don't pre purchase but the pre purchasing is simple. I initially thought it would be time consuming but a couple of minutes a week is all it takes to take up offers and check your ongoing usage. My son and I have gotten a little competitive on how we are doing. You can always try it, no contracts! App is really simple to use, I am in my 50s :)

Ken61
Ken61

As Sandy says. The cost depends on where you live. In NSW I signed up from the Getup web site and if I pre pay. It costs me 25.55c per kwh. So 25-30 kwh a day would cost you $6.38 to $7.60 a day. What I like is that that is the total cost. Includes GST and access charge and green levy. Before with Endeavour Energy I was paying over 27 cents per unit after adding in the extras. But you should call them as with your consumption you probably have electric hot water as well. If you get your last couple of bills on hand when you call them, they will tell you total costs. I'm very happy with Powershop. You can use a set and forget method, but, I am actually enjoying keeping track through the app etc and can't resist the special buys that pop up now and then. I have already bought my power on special for the next month. Good luck.

Mel
Mel

Where are you? If your in NSW, 1st Energy would be the best choice for greener electricity, not powershop.

From what I've heard. 1st Energy comes to VIC in January as well, which is good. Never had an issue with them, cheap and green and normal

Eric

Thanks for the thoughts. It sounds like I can probably get by with Powershop with minimum "management" on my part, but I will look into 1st Energy as well (yes, Mel, I live in Sydney). Thanks again.

janecee

Hi. We just got a new connection from Lumo via direct connect but I am reading lots of bad reviews about them. I am contemplating on switching to powershop. I still have 10 days cooling off period until Sept 4. How long will it take to switch to powershop and do I have to pay for connection and disconnection fees? Thanks a lot.

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Janecee, the switch takes 3-4 weeks normally this includes the mandatory cooling off period. I suggest you, you switch once your cooling off period ends. We will be happy to cover up to $75 as exit fees.

You will not have to pay any connection fees.

Cheers

Adi

janecee

That's great to know that you will cover up to $75 of exit fees. But I hope we will not pay any disconnection fees. We signed up for an open contract with Lumo.

Just to clarify, meaning I will advise lumo that we're switching to another service provider after 4 September?

janecee

In addition, what's the process in switching to powershop?

Kim Kennedy

I spoke with Energy Watch tonight and we have decided to use Powershop for our NEW Connection. We asked for this to be connected Monday 27th April, but were told this is a holiday. As far as we know it is not. Can you please clarify if it will happen that day or will it have to wait until Tuesday? It's a residence in Rye. thanks Kim Kennedy

Jane
Jane

Energy Watch are a company that has been fined $1.8 million for misleading advertising about their service. In 2012 the Federal Court found that Energy Watch:

"falsely represented that the Energy Watch service compared the rates of all or many of the energy providers in a person's area, when in fact it only compared the rates of a person's current energy retailer with those of energy retailers with which the company had commercial agreements in place."

"falsely represented the savings residential and business energy users would save in the 12 months following switching their energy retailer through the Energy Watch service."

I would not recommend using Energy Watch, instead I would contact Powershop directly for your connection. They may be able to connect you faster.

Monday 27th April is not a public holiday in Victoria, I believe it may have been in the past. It is a public holiday in some states, however. It's possible that Energy Watch are in another state.

Kim Kennedy

Thanks for your reply Jane. It seems we just followed our nose through Google and found Energy Watch along the way. I have since spoken directly to Powershop, after signing up with them thru Energy Watch (

roliver
roliver

Kim, I am not sure of your location but I know that the power distributor (who actually handle the connections) in my area (Victoria) had this day a public holiday for its employees. Maybe that is the reason they state public holiday.

James Keaton
James Keaton

Hi, I have recently decided to switch over to powershop and have filled out the online form. How long does the process take? I need to get out of my current retailer ASAP. :)

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey James! Firstly, thanks for making the switch to Powershop. :) We're looking forward to having you onboard. :)

Switches generally take 3-4 weeks when switching from an existing retailer. There's a bit of groundwork the distributor and your old retailer have to do, but we do our best to get everything setup as soon as possible.

That being said, if you have any questions in the meantime (or even when your power is connected), don't hesitate to get in touch. We're more than happy to help however we can. :)

Mari Lourey
Mari Lourey

Is it just electricity you sell or can I switch my gas account over as well? Mari

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey Mari! Right now we only provide electricity, but we'd love to tackle Gas in the future and definitely hear the demand for it. :) We recommend customers check out the State Government's "YourChoice" initiative. It allows you to find a Gas provider that's right for you.

kw

I switched to Powershop at the end of December, and have been really happy with the ability to prepurchase and monitor my usage online. My daily cost has been around half of what I was paying with my previous supplier! However, I've just seen a massive price increase for any future purchases I make, for example I prepurchased Autumn power for 26.19c, this has now increase to 47.3c; an online saver purchase that cost around 28c has gone up to 51.83c. This is an 85% increase and brings me up to the same rates that I was paying previously! Why such an increase? And why no explanation?

Pippo
Pippo

Powershop has increased prices in line with increased Service Charge by the electricity distributors. You should have received an email about this increase. It came in November last year - check your spam. If you compare rates with other retailers I think you'll find Powershop is still the best deal out there.

kw

Not very helpful, Pippo. If you read my question, you'll see that I didn't switch to Powershop until the end of December, so would not have received an email sent in November. Regardless, I doubt that the service charge was increased by 85%.

Tony
Tony

I would have to agree, it appears that they gave out special rates to get you to change over, and then increase the rates dramatically on the next price increase. I would also doubt very much that the distributors put their charges up by the rediculous percentages that you are talking about. If they had it would be all over the news. Interestingly I noticed that the Powershop representative seems to comment on good feedback but not on any negative feedback.

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey KW, Firstly, I want to apologise for not getting in touch sooner. I appreciate your patience while I followed this up. As Pippo (thanks for your help, too) pointed out, January 1st saw the introduction of our 2015 pricing.

I want to point out that while we've seen price rises (from the distributors), this is the first time we have raised our pricing in two years, and we have introduced our new 30% discount to combat this, and continue to offer very competitive prices and discounts.

There were a few issues where customers who signed up after the email period didn't receive the notification, so I recommend having a look at the blog below (it covers the same things as the email).

external link

I would like to look into your account specific pricing in more detail, but I will need your account number for this. Would you be able to shoot an email with your details to bryce.wilson@powershop.com.au? Cheers, Bryce.

knollbrook
knollbrook

I've had the same experience. Very disappointing and frustrated.

I came across in early Jan and was buying units in the range 24-26c each (this is after the alleged 1 Jan price rise). Now the cheapest rates available are in the vicinity of 34c. Approx 30% increase?! What a joke. Has all the hallmarks of a mischievous enticement. How convenient that the prices are low initially and then skyrocket. To make it worse the call centre operator I spoke with was unable to explain it. Hopeless! In the end I had to wind the call up by saying that I'll have to ring back another time and hopefully get someone who can explain it! Bizarre

Will now be shopping around as thinking of leaving what seems to be a company with little integrity.

Mouchie52
Mouchie52

Hi Powershop, I have a 4kWh solar panel system in a rural western zone and currently receive 60c PFIT from my retailer who I locked into a fixed term 36 month supply contract 12 months ago only to recently discover fixed term is not fixed prices and includes annual CPI increases (my fault from not understanding the fine print). Given I haven't paid a power bill since the date of my solar installation, and I would suffer a cancellation fee, would Powershop still be a better option be a retailer or should I bide my time? I am also dismayed to discover CPI (Sept 13 to Sept 14) was 2.5pc but my off-peak charge has risen 5pc and network supply charge (which they discounted heavily to lure my custom, has risen by almost 12pc. Thanks

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey Mouchie52! Thanks for your message! :) Before I dive into the nitty gritty, I'd just like to point out that we do things a little differently at Powershop. Our prices (like all retailers) do vary, especially because of our seasonalised pricing setup, and different usage tariffs (Flexible, On/Off Peak, Shoulder, etc.). That being said, we will definitely honour your PFIT, and we will pay up to $75 of any Exit Fees you might incur switching providers. If you need any more information or someone to give you a call, feel free to shoot an email to bryce.wilson@powershop.com.au with your details. Cheers, Bryce.

Lyle Zanoni
Lyle Zanoni

I am thinking about changing to Powershop, but I just saw a review where someone is charged 22 to 23 c/KWh . that's the same as what I am paying already with Red, so unless you either don't have a service charge or one that is less than 90 cents a day ( 99 cents with GST) 10% discount on all of that for early payment...then I don't see the point. and of course being not so tech minded, but working on it , it sound like figuring out what to do could also be a problem. I have got til Feb 13 or two days before that to make up my mind what's your answer to that one ?

Feryl
Feryl

1. Using the app, I am able to buy the online saver pack and save 30% off the bill.

2. Powershop is especially great if you are going to use the app. It literally gives you day to day updates with bar charts, and all the fancy info graphics. Allows you to make bookmarks to account for power usage jumps on certain days even.

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey Lyle, not everyone's pricing is the same with Powershop! Our Unit prices can rise and fall depending on a number of factors (including seasonalised usage, usage habits, etc.). If you could send us a recent bill we can do a full bill comparison for you? We have no lock in contracts, exit fees, and we're 100% online. You can track your usage with our app, and enjoy regular specials, plus a 30% discount if you're engaged with the Shop! Cheers, Bryce.

russs
russs

Correct me if Im wrong, but Powershop doesn't have a service charge. Quote from website:

"Does Powershop have any additional daily fixed charges?

We do not show daily fixed charges separately on bills or within our customer application, that's because we've included everything (including fixed charges) in our unit charge (c/kWh). Your electricity price per unit may look higher than your current bill but don't be fooled - remember that your per unit price includes daily charges, and even GST. What you see is what you pay."

chinesesausage
chinesesausage

I am reading the powershop site and feedin tarriffs....please explain the three different tarriff from 8cents to 62 cents????

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey there! Thanks for your message. :) Based on the time customers adopted solar, they receive different feed-in tariffs. The highest is Premium (0.664 cents p/kWh), the middle is Transitional (which is 0.314 cents p/kWh) and the "standard" rate is 0.064.

Powershop's base feed-in tariff is above the mandatory minimum.

Francescawalker
Francescawalker

We have a 2.5 kw solar system and are currently receiving 62 c per KWh for te excess power we generate and feed into the grid. Obviously we also have a smart meter. If we switch to PowerShop, can we continue to feed our excess energy into the grid? if so, at what rate? and is PowerShop comparible with the Smart meters? we are seriously consider switching but need some feedback on these issues. Thank you

Powershop Australia   DM

Hey Francesca, thanks heaps for your message. :) You can certainly continue feeding your excess into the grid, and we will pay you 66.4 cents per kWh! Powershop is highly compatible with Smart Meters, and using our app you can track your usage, buy power, manage your bills, and more. Regards, Bryce.

hippyherb
hippyherb

I am currently with AGL. I pay 90$ a fortnight through centrepay. It is taken out of my pension before I get it. Do you have anything similar??

Karen

Hi Hippyherb. I dont work for powershop so I dont know if they have a similiar way of paying. You would need to contact them and ask.

Bob Electron

I'm just a reviewer not Powershop. Although with powershop you can pay how you like provided you have internet access.

Powershop Australia   DM

Hi Hippyherb, unfortunately we don't offer a centrepay option at the moment but our payment options are very flexible. You can budget each month according to your usage and all our payments are done online. If you need any more information on payment options and how our 'shop' works feel free to give us a call 1800 462 668 and flick us an email at info@powershop.com.au

Blable
Blable

Do you offer concessions?

Hi,

We have just had a 4kW system installed and are waiting for the final inspection. Do you handle the smart meter configuration required and if so what is the cost? Do you have any specials at the moment regarding feed in tariffs?

Karen

Hi Sue, I dont work for Powershop, I'm a customer so I cant answer your question. Cheers Karen

Sue

Not to worry Karen I'll just wait for Powershop to answer :)

Bob Electron

Hi Sue, also I'm not Powershop, just a customer giving my opinion. Incidentally it's Power Cor I think & about $300 Thanks Jeff

Get an answer from our members and Powershop Australia representatives

NEW SERVICEFind the right energy provider

Compare, switch and save all in one place

Start Now