Bayer Profender

Bayer Profender Questions & Answers

13 questions from our users

Bella Sueasked

I adopted a cat that was treated with profender. The cat seems okay, but i get breathing problems and itching hands when I pet her!! I've had cats for 30 years, am not allergic to cats. In fact I already had another cat - no problems. How do I get this stuff off my new cat?

sam

samasked

Is this really that bad?My vet just gave me this now I am so scared to put it on her. What should I do?

Unhappy Individual

I’ve been using it on mine with no trouble. Every cat is different. Just make sure the dosage is correct and pay close attention to any side effects or reactions.

Bella Sue

YES, read reviews at other sites.

Angela B.

Angela B.asked

I applied this to my cat and didn't get it on the back of her neck, will it still work even if i applied it and it got more towards the side of her shoulder?

Unhappy Individual

It just needs to be on the skin (not the fur) to be absorbed. They recommend putting it on the back of the neck so the cat can’t scratch or lick it.

june f.asked

Why is this product still being used when it is killing and distressing many cats??

Good question!

Lois R.

Lois R.asked

I gave my cat a double dose in error but washed off very quickly. What would a double dose do to my cat?

Caz
Caz

Luckily you washed it off quickly before it absorbed he should be OK. My Siamese is fine now but it took about a month for the diarrhea to go. My other cat didn't have a bad reaction to Profender. Good luck.

june f.

My 2 year old robust Siamese has baldness and loose bowels and the hair is still falling out. He was given this by our vet on the back of his neck last week. How long before your Siamese got better? Hoping he is fine now?

Erica B

Erica Basked

My healthy 1 1/2 year old baby just died after the vet administered profender. I am worried about my other cat. I read on another forum that side effects and death can occur 45 days after administration of profender. I can’t find any information. Does anyone know about this and is there anything I can do for my other cat now?

Kim Q
Kim Q

My cat had Profender administered at the vet on 5/20/20 and hasn’t been the same since. Initially she was gagging up large amounts of saliva. I covered her back, but she never really recuperated. She became very lethargic (usually full of spunk and only 1.5 yo). Then she stopped eating and drinking. We have been to the kitty ER, our vet and an internal specialist. We have given fluids and she has been on prednisone for a week. She has improved a lot, but has been running a low grade fever for over a week. Please post a link to the site that discussed length of recovery. This has been a nightmare! Our regular vet claims this is absolutely not from the Profender. We will not be returning to her.

Sandieasked

Can you use this if a cat has a wound from being scratched?

Kelle
Kelle

Do not put this product near a wound! It caused both of my cats to lose the fur on their upper backs where the Profender was applied. The large pink spot on the female cat does not look healthy and I am considering taking her back to the vet in case of infection.

Thanks Kelle

bill bayley
bill bayley

dont use it at all there are other ways to de worm cats and dogs without making them sick

A A.

A A.asked

Does anyone know if Profender has after effects?

My mother treated our kittens with this a few months back just as a preventative measure.
I didn't want her to use it at all after I read the reviews. But she thought it was fine. They never had any adverse reaction at the time, but one of our cats keeps getting mysterious, reoccurring infections. She first had a sore on her ear which went after a course of anti biotics, and various trips to the vet.

This was a about a month ago and now she has the same thing again but much worse, on her ear, the back of her neck and her paw and face was swollen. The vet keeps giving topical treatments, steroid injections and is only now referring her to a skin specialist.

They can't figure out what it could be other than a possible allergy but I thought it was worth considering the drug could actually be the cause? The dermatologist could cost thousands once this is over, they are insured but a lot of things haven't been covered in the insurance.

She doesn't go out and is very well looked after so this has been very strange – Has anyone else noticed anything like this, months after using Profender?

Sandy B

Sandy Basked

Two kittens were literally dumped at my front door about two months ago...too young to be taken from their mother. I've fed them extra good food, & a milk substitute for cats. One has always been a little scrawny & underweight, but has eaten well & had a high energy level. Lately she's not been as active, & is not eating as well, & I've suspected (or worried) that perhaps she was wormy, although I haven't seen any worms...but am seeing that membrane in her eyes now. I went by the clinic about a week ago and got their work medicine, which was Profender, but have yet to administer it because I'm not sure that she weighs two pounds. With her obviously not feeling up to par, I had decided to administer it a few minutes ago, reluctantly, but decided to first see what reviews I could find on it. Now I'm afraid to put it on her, but don't want to let her go untreated. Is there another product that is safe & effective, that anyone knows of? I'm concerned. Thanks in advance!

LouMH
LouMH

I would use Drontal, it is just as effective, cheaper and I don't now anyone who has had reactions like with Profender. If you search around the net there is official information from Bayer that Profender shouldn't be used on sick cats, I don't know why this isn't included in the information leaflet in the box... it would have saved me a lot of heartache.

Bec
Bec

I would give her an oral worming tablet of some sort. When they are kittens the pills are easier to administer.

Natcat

Please don't give this to them. Trust me.

Natcatasked

found a very starved stray, took her into vet & tested for fiv and feline leukemia. I have 2 older cats already (indoors only) she was negative for that & I was monitoring her poop myself for signs of worms. no worms & healthy looking poop but... three weeks later she threw up roundworms. took her back to vet & they gave her profender. that was 2 weeks ago and the cat has been pooping bloody diarrhea ever since. had to bring her in for fluids & thought of euthanizing because she is so terrible- weak, twitches head, coughs. Plus I havnt seen one dead worm yet. Now she seemed much better before profender. anyone have any advice or similar situation? Desperate for help as the vet didn't offer me any thing last night. Thanks!!

Betty Blue
Betty Blue

Natcat I'm really sorry to hear about the wee cat, how awful.
I really don't know what to suggest. Did your vet not offer any advise at all last night, has there been any more worms since the time she threw them up?

Valerie B
Valerie B

I'm so sorry that you and the kitty are going through this. My cat also had a very bad reaction to profender. It was a different situation from yours but after several months he is finally doing better. I'm hoping that there isn't any long term damage from it. I would take the cat to another vet. My vet didn't have much to say or offer to me. They referred me to a nIeurologist. Please report this case to Bayer. I spoke to them and they acted like my cat was the only cat that had a problem with it. Diarrhea is a symptom. Please keep us updated. God bless your kitty. ❤️

Hollyberry
Hollyberry

Get a new vet.
That's what I did and was able to take my cat there within a day.
Thankfully I picked a better one, that wasn't into marketing every new product out there, and was willing to try to solve the problem the other vet created.
He gave her a shot of steroids, which lasted 3 weeks, she was like a new cat.
It took her 2 days to recover after the shot, but did very well after that.
After the shot wore off, we were back to the same vomiting and diarrhea issue.
The vet said that now we know what works and he gave her another shot, and then steroid pills for her to take when the shot wore off.
She now has permanent irritable bowel syndrome, which requires a steroid pill every morning.
I am assuming the irritable bowel was caused by the Profender.
If she missed a pill or if I try to cut back to 1/2 pill, we end up with the same symptoms, again.
So, it looks like she is permanently on the steroid pills, which thankfully cats tolerate well.
As long as she takes the pills she's doing great.

D and kitties

D and kittiesasked

My cat was treated with Profender 2 days ago and tonight she keeps throwing up. The vet said one of her kidneys is very small and yesterday called to say she has a urinary tract infection. If kidney failure is a possible side effect, why would the vet administer it? What can I do to help my cat tonight?

KJs
KJs

I wish I had a definitive answer for you but I'm not a vet and don't know if Profender can cause kidney failure. However, I can't find any research that links the two. I suspect they are separate issues and your cat already had one smaller kidney and the timing of the urinary tract infection is just coincidental. Your vet should have prescribed an antibiotic for the infection - left untreated it could lead to kidney failure. Vomiting can be a side effect of the infection. If your vet isn't doing anything to treat this, I would go somewhere else.

Farmgirl2010

Farmgirl2010asked

We just treated our 1 year old cat and within 2 minutes he was foaming at the mouth! What the heck is going on? I don't see one good review about this stuff.

DLreynolds
DLreynolds

Our cats did not visibly foam at the mouth but they DID loose a lot of weight and one had an adverse reaction and still walks wobbly after two month So! If my kitty was foaming I would take him to the vet immediately and take what you gave him or tell vet what and how much you have him! Hopefully the vet can help your kitty quickly! I was like you and did not get on this website before I applied! BIG MISTAKE!

LucyQLD
LucyQLD

Cats foam at the mouth after licking ANY spot on product.. PROFENDER, Revolution, advantage, frontline.. They will all cause the cat to foam if the cat licks it.. It's nothing to be concerned about it, it just means it tasted horrible to the cat! As stated on the packaging you should always apply high up on the neck so that the cat cannot reach around to lick where product has been applied.

angelar

angelarasked

Is there a profender product for dogs? I used this on my 4 cats. I LOVED it...they did too. Now I need something like this for my 3 dogs.

JulieR.59
JulieR.59

Would not touch profender product for cat or dog. Cats reacted badly both times I used it on them. Can't advise an alternative.