Qantas Cash

Qantas Cash

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (1) · No (0)
Val Cochrane

Val CochraneLyons 2606, ACT

Tried to check balance for some reason had to log in then not recognizing information then had to change login pin. Why does this happen ? Has now happened several times in the last few months. Seriously considering giving up this card not the only problem I've had lately

Paul Y

Paul Y

Convenient but a poor exchange rate

I have used the Qantas card for several trips and found it very convenient & had no problems using it or loading it with AUD or foreign currencies but on my last trip I decided to use both the Qantas card, loaded with AUD, & my Commonwealth Bank credit card for purchases.
Even when taking into account the CBA transaction fee for each purchase, the Qantas card cost me on average almost 3.5 cents more for every pound or Euro.
Next time I'll load it with AUD as a backup & spend it when I get home if I don't need to use it overseas.

App issues

My Qantas cash app has worked effectively in a range of countries. Now I have updated my iPhone and iPad and have problems. On the iPad the font is large and top with log off is missing. On my iPhone it opens and closes in seconds making it totally ineffective . Help needed urgently as it is loaded and I’m due to commence my travels.

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Qantas Cash compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Very poor exchange rates

On returning from overseas - France and UK I had to convert currency back to AUD - the rates applied where significantly lower than those applied when going from AUD to pounds and euros. The rates were 10% worse. I rang customer service to query the huge difference which was a waste of time as I received no explanation on the poor rates offered. They were going to call back but never did.

Peter

PeterSydney

Ok

In addition to the fees charged by the card when drawing from an ATM in the USA, owners of ATM charged about 1%-1.5% fee. Also while card worked in most cases, there were several occasions where card was declined for no apparent reason, so I had to revert to AMEX or VISA, so question the value of the Qantas card. May upload some emergency funds in future but will use my debit or credit card in future

Great when it is working but have a problem and look out......

Worked great in Japan but don't convert money back

Could not get euros - ever - from cash machines in Spain.....

Simply could never extract Euros from ANY cash machine in Spain. On a couple of occasions it appeared I would be able to get some cash, BUT the fee I was going to be charged was extortionate.....
OK to use as a straight-out MasterCard, but not as a Cash Card...

Kate

KateMelbourne

Not that useful

Got this as they had a points bonus promotion and travel a bit. Used it OS but the rate they pay is lower than what I get with my bank. Not worth the bother really.

ConsumerMan

ConsumerMan

Beware Exchange Rate When Transferring Between Currencies

Beware, the Qantas Cash (QC) exchange rate is lower when you transfer between currencies compared to loading cash from your bank account to a particular currency. For example let's say you load $1000 to your USA purse, at today's QC exchange rate for loads, you would get around $US715. But let's say you already have $AUD1000 sitting in your Australia purse and want to transfer it to your USA purse. At today's QC exchange rate for transfers you would only get around $US705. Try and find that fact anywhere in the QC T&C's or FAQ's.

Slow to load

Handy as a back up, but I use it as a local debit card rather than travel card. Takes about 5 days to load so no help if you need to transfer money in a hurry.

Qantas cash is a two edged sword

Easy to obtain but does not meet its promises. In a nine month trip around Europe we have had the experience of the card being rejected on many occasions which is very embaressing if you are at the check out with a load of groceries and haven't brought your Visa. Just as well we had our Visa or else we would have been in real trouble a number of times. It's nerve wracking when every time you use it you are not sure if they will accept it.
Qantas should come clean and advise you to take a credit card as well.

RichSUN

RichSUNPerth, WA

Just a FF debit card. stay away from using their exchange services!!!!

Just use it as a debit card earning points is enough.DO NOT use the currency conversion service.
I've done a test over a weeks comparing the rate with those from Amex and normal debit mastercard from Commbank. Whenever I purchase something using the credit card or the debit mastercard, I do a small conversion calculation on the qantascash. EVERY SINGLE TIME it is worse off on the Qantascash, yes, that's how bad it is.
However, I've had no problem using the card at any place accepting mastercard.

Don't rely on this card alone and watch the traps.

Rusty

RustyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No Domestic Atm Fees - False And Misleading

Qantas Cash site clearly states: "No domestic ATM fees with Qantas Cash within Australia"
The only way you will not pay domestic ATM Fees is if you do not use a domestic ATM !
I am being charged $2.50
Misleading info on site.. also watch the 1% load fee

Geeg

GeegPerth, WA

Poor exchange rate;very slow to load.

Exchange rate is worse than Amex and Visa ... surprisingly. Three days to credit funds which have been immediately debited from bank transfer ... frustrating and cheeky to hold funds for at least two days. Always a suspicion of being slightly ripped off. Works well as MasterCard.

Buckydee

Buckydee

Not as good as it looks

Jetstar which is owned by Qantas.. don't accept Qantas cash card to pay on flight.

Told by flight attendant Qantas cash card not accepted as they use a different system. But when in FIJI use Qantas card in Bred bank ATM ..Only $1.95 charge to withdraw, all others charge $10.00. So if you can find a Bred Bank ATM on your travels use it, happy travels.

Hawthorne

HawthorneSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not perfect but worked throughout Hong Kong, France & Italy

Bad phone service

Phoned up to see why my card was being declined when trying to purchase flights online. It took quite a while to get through to a customer service representative. She was fairly enthused to be doing her job. When I told her I wanted to withdraw all my funds, she didn't ask why if there was another way to keep my money in that account.