QBE Travel Insurance

QBE Travel Insurance

Do NOT use QBE for travel insurance - You are unlikely to make a successful claim

My dad was about to go visit his family but unfortunately, my mum's health deteriorated so he had to cancel his trip. She unfortunately also passed away not long after. This was all very sudden, and my mum although was diagnosed with cancer (this was over 7 years ago) has been really well with no symptoms, hence my dad was going to go on the short trip (this was by himself).

When my dad tried to claim it, due to the sudden deterioration of my mum's health, QBE made him go through so many hoops even though he had to cope with the grief. He initially got a letter from the specialist, but this was not enough, he had to get a dr to fill in a "form". Then apparently the "form" was not the "current" one, so he had to go back to the dr to fill in an almost identical form. This was then rejected again as "not enough information". It was not until the fourth time, that we got a response, and it was to reject the claim and it was because my mum was 'diagnosed' before the policy was taken out. Something I don't understand, because the policy was for my dad and not my mum. My dad can't even make a claim because he had to cancel a trip because a loved one was unwell? The process took almost six months as well. My dad made the claim BEFORE my mum passed away as she was in hospital, and we did not get the response 3 months AFTER she passed away. Word of warning, this company only cares for its shareholders not its policy holders.

DestinationAsia
Type of ClaimOther
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Ken, we're sorry to hear about this experience. We will PM for some more details and have a look into it ~Ben

Does not cover theft of cash

Received this policy as part of ANZ credit card travel insurance. Have used Westpac previously (with Allianz) and claimed without issue. Was robbed while overseas, filled out the police report and submitted the claim. Not covered.

Allianz covers up to A$300 for theft of cash. Would not use this policy ever again.

EDIT: ANZ now uses Allianz for complimentary travel insurance as of April 2018. Unfortunately, I had bought the tickets before then so was still using this rubbish policy from QBE.

Insurance claim madeYes

Don't take out travel insurance with QBE

If you make a claim, they continue to stall the claim. My claim was only a small claim of a few hundred dollars and all the forms were filled out as required and a doctors certificate and explanation of my getting viral gastro was included in the submission of documents to QBE. They then wanted their own personal medical certificate to b filled out by my doctor which involved the cost to me of a long appointment. And then, after another five days, they send me another email saying that they had not received it. And if I had sent it in the past five days, then they would reaccess the claim. And also mentioned they would reply in ten days time. Absolutely hopeless business and once it's settled, I will then write another review detailing all the persons who have been involved in the email trail to me. This business is intent on delaying valid claims and I expect that NIB insurance who are taking over QBE, will duplicate this delaying activity.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationAustralia/Oceania
Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Worst travel insurance ever!

We had a comprehensive travel insurance for our Fiji trip with QBE, got pregnant, doctor strongly advised to avoid travel in first 3 months due to high risk and provided a certificate as well. QBE rejected the claim on the grounds that they wouldn’t cover for a “potential risk”. I honestly have no words!!!!!

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Won't provide cover for Epilepsy, even when conditions meet that outlined in the PDS

PDS states person must EITHER be seizure free 12 months or condition being managed by no more than 1 medication. Yet when you apply for insurance they deny cover anyway.

Insurance Cover For:Teenager
DestinationEurope and North America
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Claim MadeNo
Hi Jamie, thanks for your review. You can escalate this to our complaints team on complaints@qbe.com for review ~BLS

Extremely Poor. 1yr+ Still Waiting. Multiple Claims Assessors. Constantly Ignored. Appalling Service.

QBE clearly does not want to pay claims. My experience represents disgusting conduct for an insurer.

I have now been in the process of having my travel insurance claim assessed with QBE for 1yr 2mos 2wks.

What a horrible, horrible experience.

There have been multiple assessors over many, many, many months who all give different information, ask for different things (including some things that are utterly impossible like a local GP's diagnosis for a hospital visit in another country over a year ago - what?). They cannot even tell me what the condition is that they need to determine is pre-existing. It seems that they do not actually know. How utterly futile.

When I request updates as to the progress of my claim I am ignored repeatedly. When I call, there are lengthy delays on the phone and I speak to different people every time who give me different information and ask for different things.

Their internal complaints process was utterly pointless and a further waste of my time. I made a complaint about the service, but when it escalated they closed it without speaking with me at all, simply writing that they agreed the claim wasn't ready to be paid (I was complaining about the service) and the complaint was closed.

My claim is still being processed more than a year after lodging. More than a year after lodging.

The constant stress and frustration of having to deal with QBE is extraordinary.

I would not recommend going anywhere near QBE for your insurance needs. There are plenty of other insurers who would welcome your custom and do what they say they will do.

What a painful disaster. Shame on you QBE for treating your customers this way.

DestinationEurope
Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Hi Kstar, we're sorry to hear about this. We will PM you for some details and look into it ~BLS

HORRIFIED

This company who I have never heard of have deducted ff points from my account for insurance I did not ask for- how did they access my account?? The certificate says it was sold to me over the phone today. I have had no conversation with any insurance company today or any other day. I’m horrified

Claim MadeNo

Dodgy quotes

I had top tier QBE travel insurance. My phone was stolen in Cuba. I assembled all the correct documentation, including a Cuban police report. QBE required that I provide a receipt for the phone, beyond just the monthly bill. I wasted time going to the original store I bought it from to get this. The phone cost $1,176.

After all this, QBE offered to return $450. The cheapest Australian retailer I could find publishing a current price for the model of phone was Big W at $800.

When I contested QBE's quote of $450, they directed me to a interstate 'retailer' with no street address (just a PO Box), no online store and no published price. The business was registered to a residential address. I contacted QBE three times contesting the $450 remittance. They just kept providing details for the Melbourne retailer. The $450 quote is cheaper than Hong Kong eBay resellers, who offer no Australian warranty.

I had zero interest in dealing with an interstate group sourcing an international phone with with no local warranty support, so now I am significantly out of pocket on my replacement phone.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Go elsewhere

Paid and renewed policy for 3 years and then they say I am not eligible as I joined up as a family and friend of Qantas, but now they are saying I am not eligible for my 1st claim after 3 years and there's still 10 months owing on my policy and they won't even refund that

DestinationAsia
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Excellent service, claim paid out timely

This is my first experience using QBE, and I cannot be more happy with the outcome with anyone else. Family experienced health difficulties while overseas and after coming back and lodging claim with full documentation, the claim was paid out timely and accurately. Kudos to the team for such excellent support.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for the wonderful review, we're pleased we could get you home safe ~BLS

I gave my money to someone else

Purchased travel insurance about 2 weeks ago and just this week my kid got sick. We can still travel, but require some monitoring while overseas. Called them up to see what impact the diagnosis had on our travel cover. It took 3 transfers in their call centre before I had someone actually explaining to me that I would no longer have an "unlimited" medical cover. I was prepared to pay extra, but they just told me that I can't purchase an additional cover for the new illness. Since the policy was still in the cooling off period, I cancelled it. A policy, where I declared the illness as pre-existing condition, has costs me 93$ extra with someone else. So if QBE don't want my money, I give it to someone else, simple.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Wabbit, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We have passed this back to the travel team for feedback. ~BLS

Make calling them a FULL TIME JOB - Waiting 1hr+ every time - WHAT A JOKE - TIP go to sales and ask

if this is the company you travel with uses QBE - think again if you hope to use it.

I've wasted at least 1 full working day trying to get through (multiple times and having to hang up for work/dinner/going to bed)!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad got diagnosed with cancer and couldn't travel - 6 months later we're still trying to get an answer after submitting all the requirements we sent through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll NEVER use QBE again for ANYTHING - RAC all the way! never had a problem - phone call answered within minutes!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Eski, we're sorry to hear about this. We will PM you for some details to look into it ~BLSHi BLS, thanks for your prompt reply however its your claims department letting you down - which is the most important factor of the service you offer.... i managed to get through via the sales desk within a minute - got a QBE reference number, they were meant to call me back a day or 2 later - its 2 WEEKS since i made the post.......and no reply (was i supprised.... hmmmm not really, its what i expected - i'm not prepared to wait another hour to speak to someone only to submit the stuff you received on 3 occasions now, you need a call back service and wasting our time)....... luckily it isn't a large $value we're chasing so the ball is in your court. QBE Customer service in the event of a claim is disgraceful - glad this will be the only one in my lifetime - yet you'll take our money in a heartbeat.. Your customers are your business so make sure your staff treat us appropriately and follow through on their promises.Hi Eski, thank you, we will pass this feedback on. If you'd still like us to look into anything specifically, please reply to the private message we have sent ~BLS

I would give them below zero if I could

They accepted my claim of $308, they deducted $300 access fee, I got $8 in my hand, what a joke company, better not to have an insurance at all.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Adam, if you're unhappy with the assessment of the claim, you can refer this to our complaints team - https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLS

Just a scam

I booked a ticket through Qantas website and a pop up box appeared do you want Travel Insurance for $15. Thought that was reasonable and brought cover in good faith as I have had delays with Qantas and missed connecting flights with other airlines before. Got delayed in Melbourne for 6 hours due to engineering issues. Finally took off and missed my connecting flight. Thought that’s OK, I have insurance. No, I was wrong. Only covered for flight cancellation, not flight delay. Put in a claim for $123 and got rejected. No one can tell me the time period when a delay constitutes a cancellation. Totally dosappointed with Qantas and QBE!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Peter, thank you for your review. If you're unhappy with the assessment of your claim, you can refer this to our complaints department - https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLSIts a pity that QBE want me to spend my time arguing over $123. The 6 hr flight delay was beyond my control. I was willing to part with my money but QBE isn’t. Pathetic

Insulting

Just returned from a business trip to US. Was sick while there and attended the same medical clinic 3 times with prescription medication for two different illnesses prescribed in my name.

The primary reason for pruchasing QBE insurance was to cover the risk of out of pocket medical expenses. Treatment there is expensive and not covered by a national health service.

On return, submitted invoices in my name and prescriptions in my name. Claims then requested me to visit my own doctor in Australia at my time and expense to corroborate and document the illness that occurred 3 weeks ago. Their claims form suggests that this is not required for minor illnesses which I would expect conjunctivitis and strep throat to be classified as. When I challenged the claims processor, he insinuated that I could well be fabricating all of this information. I cant recall the last time a service provider has been so insulting and it leaves me wondering if the claims processors are incentivised in any way for minimising claim refunds. What an excellent way to destroy a brand. QBE proudly states that they are "Headquartered in Sydney, we have offices across all states and territories". Good luck trying to talk to anyone in australia - all numbers lead to their call centre in the Phillipines. There are simply no consumer facing contacts in Australia.

Claim now settled. Claims assessor split the invoices into two separate claims, then deducted the "deductible" twice, prior to calculating the settlement.

The whole experience was pretty shameful.

Needless to say I regret purchasing the policy and wont consider using this company again.

don'ttouch this company

used once and never again. Got caught up in a hurricane event in the states. Everyone told to divert travel 48 hours prior on all TV stations and news, so i contact QBE to ask if they would cover a rail ticket to Chicago $200 instead me flying to North Carolina and having a bigger claim & getting stuck in a major storm event. They would not help or commit and did not assist. So Storm hit and as expected all airports closed. I train ticket & lost my already bought air ticket & accommodation and on return to sydney...QBE wanted newspaper proof of " storm" & it took 2 months of constant hassling to get them to pay the claim. Total nightmare travel insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes

lies lies lies and more lies , oh [name removed] how many lies can you and QBE come up with

This morning i received an email from [name removed] stating that even though he allowed me to record my calls as all my calls are no matter who it is that they cannot be used as evidence well new for him and QBE , they can and will as the truth will surface from the day we needed assistance in Greece along with there many lies and inconsistent stories and mistakes QBE made, so if i was [name removed] and QBE 24 / 7 non existence assist i would be rather worried.He also stated he does not record his calls as this is why he uses his mobile however turns and makes claims of he said this i said that , well insurances are meant to be recording but ohhh no they do not like been caught out but they have. On the 2nd of August [name removed] send me an email that a complaint i raised i will receive the outcome within 15 days, yer sure now they made it look like its part of the claim yet [name removed] also stated he will have answers by 4 pm today, again another lie. Between Qantas And QBE i say they are both full of it period, maybe they have a Qantas QBE show bag at the show this year cause we all no what we will get in it nothing but lies.As for the moderators well there full of it to that is as we always get same responses and yes its true there calls when your in daylight hours are directed to Philippines where they to lie cant get your name correct and make it look like an invisible Doctor is coming to examine you, they should stick to making noodles over there that is all there good for. The most amazing part is [name removed] makes claim they have recorded calls where i come across as aggressive , yes true but what do they expect when they have us looking for Doctors and hospitals as they claim to have us covered yet we do all the work to get help and there like Adult phone operators just sit there someone to talk to, i know for a fact that there providers including medical team should be in direct contact with us but they do not have them in most of Europe let alone other countries except for Asian region where its cheaper for them if you travel there and get sick. When you fail your duty of Care QANTAS QBE you would expect the person/s involved to be aggravated more so when they did not care about our 3 yr old son and the impact they placed on him as they did squat, all [name removed] did was flog it off about his welfare, wonder if she has kids and if it was her, maybe they saw her crawled back up, don't blame them, I also suffered a major blood clot as tripped on ferry and if it wasn't for a retired M.D in the family giving me a major blood thinner x 2 something three to bust it up i would not be here as they did not what to do in this situation as [name removed] stated , they stuffed up big time and did not know what to do is his words, yes stuffed up and continue to treat not only us but many others like criminals however it tells me a lot when QBE has ex CBA workers running certain departments , wonder why they left CBA cause maybe after what CBA along with other financial institutions including QBE did to customers rip them off left right centre and this is why the Banking and finance Royal commission is still running, every dog has its day and its coming for QBE that i put my life on it they will be run over the coals once i finalize the action i am taking. Please if you consider QBE to save you then think long and hard as they will take your money leave you to do there work and then treat you as a crim however they're the criminals

Insurance claim madeYes
A F O S is not any better when you take it to them, as they all know 1 another and protect there mates in the insurance game, well times up Big Ben its tick tok were vcat gets to hear all the audio of there lies and cover ups. interesting the looks on there faces will be priceless when there lies are exposed.oh susie q the song says its all from credenceQBE is a scam & so to is AFOS as there last correspondence well over a month ago was there decision to be made. There far from independent as its the insurance companies that pays them to cover up there thieving of innocent people, so now the ball is rolling to expose all QBE lies and there scam in court. both there numbers are up.

Very disappointing service

After completing my claim form I have received nothing from the company. After 5 weeks I contacted them myself only to be informed my claim would not be honoured. I had a letter from the tour company to say I was too ill to complete my tour but that was not sufficient. A letter from a GP was required but as I was in a very remote area this was not possible. No emails, no phone calls and no letters were provided to me. The only contact I have received was after my contact today to confirm they would not honour my claim. Wish I had read the review pages before I took out my insurance but it was recommended by my tour provider and I trusted their judgement. I have contacted the tour provider to let them know of my situation and that I am not happy with their recommendation.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Donna, if you're unhappy with the assessment of your claim, you can escalate this to complaints@qbe.com ~BLS

Death of Mother in law

I took out travel insurance with QBE thru Sealink when booking a fare on ferry to Kangaroo island. My mother in law (who was not booked on trip) took sick and died. As a consequence we had to cancel the trip. Now QBE will not pay for cost of trip as my mother in law was over 80 yrs of age.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi John, we're very sorry to hear about the passing of your mother in law. You can escalate the decision about your claim to complaints@qbe.com for review ~BLSI have passed it onto Complaints, but it should not have got to this stage. As indicated I had no say in the health of my mother in law.

Glad we chose QBE for our travel insurance. We had to cancel a trip due to some complications that arose with my pregnancy, I was originally told I was safe to travel, but that didn’t last. Etihad were useless, so we went through travel insurance. Every staff member I spoke to was compassionate and understanding. Most calls started with them asking how I was and if I was feeling ok and how my pregnancy was travelling, then we got down to insurance business. They an be a bit slow and not always good at returning calls. After sending documentation back, which included the doctors form he had filled out, I was asked to have him fill out another. A simple call to them to say he had done it cleared that right up. We recouped all losses and this is now one less stress we need to worry about. I would use them again for out next travel insurer.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thank you for the amazing review and we're glad we could help! Thanks for choosing QBE ~BLS

I paid $48 through amex/qantas and didn't travel . Qantas/amex refunded me but not the travelling. can you advise if I can get/
Hi Jill, you can speak with our travel team on 133 723 to discuss the specifics of your claim~BLSCan I transfer this insurance to tomorrows travelling for 6 days? Jill

I got given some money recently from a claim but it's short of what it should be and there was absolutely no reference to it or the calculations. The only thing it said upon payment was "as per letter issued 29th Jan" which has NOT been issued as I have received absolutely nothing but via email or post. I have emailed straight back when this claim payment notification came through on the 31st and I have heard nothing at all so I am getting quite frustrated and angry now. I am glad for the payment, don't get me wrong (as it had been a long time of waiting over 7wks) but not when it's been calculated wrong and shortchanged without reference to me to clarify. It's a minimum of $70-80 short, if not more (depending on if an excess is charged and how much that is). This is bull, and I need someone to contact ME asap.
Hi Laudie, we can look into this, if you can please private message your claim number alternatively call us on 133 723I don't know how to private message you. I have emailed and recently got another letter sent which again is only the front page confirming the amount t paid, referring to "the next page" for a breakdown but there was only one page sent. So now I replied again only yesterday and now have been told I have to wait yet another 10 days for a responce! Not good enough. Travel claim 619469

I have paid for UK trip on my ANZ Visa. This entitles us to free travel insurance with QBE. Is this safe???
Hi Judith, providing you have met the eligibility criteria for complimentary travel insurance, then you are covered per the PDS that can be found here - https://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/using/premium-insurance/ Enjoy your trip! ~BLSOnly if you have time, patience and are happy to wait months for the resolution of any claim you may make.

Travel Insurance