QBE Travel Insurance

QBE Travel Insurance

HORRIFIED

This company who I have never heard of have deducted ff points from my account for insurance I did not ask for- how did they access my account?? The certificate says it was sold to me over the phone today. I have had no conversation with any insurance company today or any other day. I’m horrified

Claim MadeNo

Dodgy quotes

I had top tier QBE travel insurance. My phone was stolen in Cuba. I assembled all the correct documentation, including a Cuban police report. QBE required that I provide a receipt for the phone, beyond just the monthly bill. I wasted time going to the original store I bought it from to get this. The phone cost $1,176.

After all this, QBE offered to return $450. The cheapest Australian retailer I could find publishing a current price for the model of phone was Big W at $800.

When I contested QBE's quote of $450, they directed me to a interstate 'retailer' with no street address (just a PO Box), no online store and no published price. The business was registered to a residential address. I contacted QBE three times contesting the $450 remittance. They just kept providing details for the Melbourne retailer. The $450 quote is cheaper than Hong Kong eBay resellers, who offer no Australian warranty.

I had zero interest in dealing with an interstate group sourcing an international phone with with no local warranty support, so now I am significantly out of pocket on my replacement phone.

Insurance Cover For:Adult
Insurance TypeSingle Trip
Claim MadeYes
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Go elsewhere

Paid and renewed policy for 3 years and then they say I am not eligible as I joined up as a family and friend of Qantas, but now they are saying I am not eligible for my 1st claim after 3 years and there's still 10 months owing on my policy and they won't even refund that

Insurance Cover For:Adult
DestinationAsia
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Claim MadeYes
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Excellent service, claim paid out timely

This is my first experience using QBE, and I cannot be more happy with the outcome with anyone else. Family experienced health difficulties while overseas and after coming back and lodging claim with full documentation, the claim was paid out timely and accurately. Kudos to the team for such excellent support.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for the wonderful review, we're pleased we could get you home safe ~BLS

I gave my money to someone else

Purchased travel insurance about 2 weeks ago and just this week my kid got sick. We can still travel, but require some monitoring while overseas. Called them up to see what impact the diagnosis had on our travel cover. It took 3 transfers in their call centre before I had someone actually explaining to me that I would no longer have an "unlimited" medical cover. I was prepared to pay extra, but they just told me that I can't purchase an additional cover for the new illness. Since the policy was still in the cooling off period, I cancelled it. A policy, where I declared the illness as pre-existing condition, has costs me 93$ extra with someone else. So if QBE don't want my money, I give it to someone else, simple.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Wabbit, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We have passed this back to the travel team for feedback. ~BLS

Make calling them a FULL TIME JOB - Waiting 1hr+ every time - WHAT A JOKE - TIP go to sales and ask

if this is the company you travel with uses QBE - think again if you hope to use it.

I've wasted at least 1 full working day trying to get through (multiple times and having to hang up for work/dinner/going to bed)!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad got diagnosed with cancer and couldn't travel - 6 months later we're still trying to get an answer after submitting all the requirements we sent through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll NEVER use QBE again for ANYTHING - RAC all the way! never had a problem - phone call answered within minutes!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Eski, we're sorry to hear about this. We will PM you for some details to look into it ~BLSHi BLS, thanks for your prompt reply however its your claims department letting you down - which is the most important factor of the service you offer.... i managed to get through via the sales desk within a minute - got a QBE reference number, they were meant to call me back a day or 2 later - its 2 WEEKS since i made the post.......and no reply (was i supprised.... hmmmm not really, its what i expected - i'm not prepared to wait another hour to speak to someone only to submit the stuff you received on 3 occasions now, you need a call back service and wasting our time)....... luckily it isn't a large $value we're chasing so the ball is in your court. QBE Customer service in the event of a claim is disgraceful - glad this will be the only one in my lifetime - yet you'll take our money in a heartbeat.. Your customers are your business so make sure your staff treat us appropriately and follow through on their promises.Hi Eski, thank you, we will pass this feedback on. If you'd still like us to look into anything specifically, please reply to the private message we have sent ~BLS

I would give them below zero if I could

They accepted my claim of $308, they deducted $300 access fee, I got $8 in my hand, what a joke company, better not to have an insurance at all.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Adam, if you're unhappy with the assessment of the claim, you can refer this to our complaints team - https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLS

Just a scam

I booked a ticket through Qantas website and a pop up box appeared do you want Travel Insurance for $15. Thought that was reasonable and brought cover in good faith as I have had delays with Qantas and missed connecting flights with other airlines before. Got delayed in Melbourne for 6 hours due to engineering issues. Finally took off and missed my connecting flight. Thought that’s OK, I have insurance. No, I was wrong. Only covered for flight cancellation, not flight delay. Put in a claim for $123 and got rejected. No one can tell me the time period when a delay constitutes a cancellation. Totally dosappointed with Qantas and QBE!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Peter, thank you for your review. If you're unhappy with the assessment of your claim, you can refer this to our complaints department - https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLSIts a pity that QBE want me to spend my time arguing over $123. The 6 hr flight delay was beyond my control. I was willing to part with my money but QBE isn’t. Pathetic

Insulting

Just returned from a business trip to US. Was sick while there and attended the same medical clinic 3 times with prescription medication for two different illnesses prescribed in my name.

The primary reason for pruchasing QBE insurance was to cover the risk of out of pocket medical expenses. Treatment there is expensive and not covered by a national health service.

On return, submitted invoices in my name and prescriptions in my name. Claims then requested me to visit my own doctor in Australia at my time and expense to corroborate and document the illness that occurred 3 weeks ago. Their claims form suggests that this is not required for minor illnesses which I would expect conjunctivitis and strep throat to be classified as. When I challenged the claims processor, he insinuated that I could well be fabricating all of this information. I cant recall the last time a service provider has been so insulting and it leaves me wondering if the claims processors are incentivised in any way for minimising claim refunds. What an excellent way to destroy a brand. QBE proudly states that they are "Headquartered in Sydney, we have offices across all states and territories". Good luck trying to talk to anyone in australia - all numbers lead to their call centre in the Phillipines. There are simply no consumer facing contacts in Australia.

Claim now settled. Claims assessor split the invoices into two separate claims, then deducted the "deductible" twice, prior to calculating the settlement.

The whole experience was pretty shameful.

Needless to say I regret purchasing the policy and wont consider using this company again.

don'ttouch this company

used once and never again. Got caught up in a hurricane event in the states. Everyone told to divert travel 48 hours prior on all TV stations and news, so i contact QBE to ask if they would cover a rail ticket to Chicago $200 instead me flying to North Carolina and having a bigger claim & getting stuck in a major storm event. They would not help or commit and did not assist. So Storm hit and as expected all airports closed. I train ticket & lost my already bought air ticket & accommodation and on return to sydney...QBE wanted newspaper proof of " storm" & it took 2 months of constant hassling to get them to pay the claim. Total nightmare travel insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes

lies lies lies and more lies , oh [name removed] how many lies can you and QBE come up with

This morning i received an email from [name removed] stating that even though he allowed me to record my calls as all my calls are no matter who it is that they cannot be used as evidence well new for him and QBE , they can and will as the truth will surface from the day we needed assistance in Greece along with there many lies and inconsistent stories and mistakes QBE made, so if i was [name removed] and QBE 24 / 7 non existence assist i would be rather worried.He also stated he does not record his calls as this is why he uses his mobile however turns and makes claims of he said this i said that , well insurances are meant to be recording but ohhh no they do not like been caught out but they have. On the 2nd of August [name removed] send me an email that a complaint i raised i will receive the outcome within 15 days, yer sure now they made it look like its part of the claim yet [name removed] also stated he will have answers by 4 pm today, again another lie. Between Qantas And QBE i say they are both full of it period, maybe they have a Qantas QBE show bag at the show this year cause we all no what we will get in it nothing but lies.As for the moderators well there full of it to that is as we always get same responses and yes its true there calls when your in daylight hours are directed to Philippines where they to lie cant get your name correct and make it look like an invisible Doctor is coming to examine you, they should stick to making noodles over there that is all there good for. The most amazing part is [name removed] makes claim they have recorded calls where i come across as aggressive , yes true but what do they expect when they have us looking for Doctors and hospitals as they claim to have us covered yet we do all the work to get help and there like Adult phone operators just sit there someone to talk to, i know for a fact that there providers including medical team should be in direct contact with us but they do not have them in most of Europe let alone other countries except for Asian region where its cheaper for them if you travel there and get sick. When you fail your duty of Care QANTAS QBE you would expect the person/s involved to be aggravated more so when they did not care about our 3 yr old son and the impact they placed on him as they did squat, all [name removed] did was flog it off about his welfare, wonder if she has kids and if it was her, maybe they saw her crawled back up, don't blame them, I also suffered a major blood clot as tripped on ferry and if it wasn't for a retired M.D in the family giving me a major blood thinner x 2 something three to bust it up i would not be here as they did not what to do in this situation as [name removed] stated , they stuffed up big time and did not know what to do is his words, yes stuffed up and continue to treat not only us but many others like criminals however it tells me a lot when QBE has ex CBA workers running certain departments , wonder why they left CBA cause maybe after what CBA along with other financial institutions including QBE did to customers rip them off left right centre and this is why the Banking and finance Royal commission is still running, every dog has its day and its coming for QBE that i put my life on it they will be run over the coals once i finalize the action i am taking. Please if you consider QBE to save you then think long and hard as they will take your money leave you to do there work and then treat you as a crim however they're the criminals

Insurance claim madeYes
A F O S is not any better when you take it to them, as they all know 1 another and protect there mates in the insurance game, well times up Big Ben its tick tok were vcat gets to hear all the audio of there lies and cover ups. interesting the looks on there faces will be priceless when there lies are exposed.oh susie q the song says its all from credenceQBE is a scam & so to is AFOS as there last correspondence well over a month ago was there decision to be made. There far from independent as its the insurance companies that pays them to cover up there thieving of innocent people, so now the ball is rolling to expose all QBE lies and there scam in court. both there numbers are up.

Very disappointing service

After completing my claim form I have received nothing from the company. After 5 weeks I contacted them myself only to be informed my claim would not be honoured. I had a letter from the tour company to say I was too ill to complete my tour but that was not sufficient. A letter from a GP was required but as I was in a very remote area this was not possible. No emails, no phone calls and no letters were provided to me. The only contact I have received was after my contact today to confirm they would not honour my claim. Wish I had read the review pages before I took out my insurance but it was recommended by my tour provider and I trusted their judgement. I have contacted the tour provider to let them know of my situation and that I am not happy with their recommendation.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Donna, if you're unhappy with the assessment of your claim, you can escalate this to complaints@qbe.com ~BLS

Death of Mother in law

I took out travel insurance with QBE thru Sealink when booking a fare on ferry to Kangaroo island. My mother in law (who was not booked on trip) took sick and died. As a consequence we had to cancel the trip. Now QBE will not pay for cost of trip as my mother in law was over 80 yrs of age.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi John, we're very sorry to hear about the passing of your mother in law. You can escalate the decision about your claim to complaints@qbe.com for review ~BLSI have passed it onto Complaints, but it should not have got to this stage. As indicated I had no say in the health of my mother in law.

Glad we chose QBE for our travel insurance. We had to cancel a trip due to some complications that arose with my pregnancy, I was originally told I was safe to travel, but that didn’t last. Etihad were useless, so we went through travel insurance. Every staff member I spoke to was compassionate and understanding. Most calls started with them asking how I was and if I was feeling ok and how my pregnancy was travelling, then we got down to insurance business. They an be a bit slow and not always good at returning calls. After sending documentation back, which included the doctors form he had filled out, I was asked to have him fill out another. A simple call to them to say he had done it cleared that right up. We recouped all losses and this is now one less stress we need to worry about. I would use them again for out next travel insurer.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thank you for the amazing review and we're glad we could help! Thanks for choosing QBE ~BLS

QBE were fantastic

This was the first time I had used QBE and will continue to do so. I have used others but never had to make a claim so I can't compare the claims process, However, this time we did have an issue and had to make a claim. QBE were fantastic right from the start. We rang the assistance line at 1 am Singapore time and the lady was friendly, concerned and helpful. She advised us what to do and what paperwork we would need. She did everything she said she would do by way of follow up emails. The next day another person rang to check on my wife and again was very concerned and helpful. I completed the claim form when we got home emailed it with the back up and the claim was paid approved within a week and paid within a day or 2 of it being approved. I am really impressed by the total process, the people and the service they provided at a difficult time.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ron, thank you for your great feedback, we're pleased we got everything sorted for you ~BLS

What a slack bunch!

If only I could have given zero stars for this company. As many others have found, this company seems to have a policy of stalling and avoidance. No emails are replied to. Any time you call you talk to a different person because your case officer is on a break (mine must have been constantly on one) or busy with another customer. They say they will ring back but never do. It was only because they are the Travel Insurance company associated with NAB that I have had to deal with. I will be putting in a complaint to the bank with the suggestion they change Insurance companies.

Insurance claim madeYes

Great result - got whole claim paid

It is my free NAB credit card travel insurance underwritten by QBE. There was a lot of paperwork required and they asked for the same information a few times. At one stage I thought they were stringing me along but after 3 weeks and many emails later they paid my entire claim. Very happy! My claim was for cancellation costs due to my cat getting sick so thought they would reflect the claim. This insurance was free through my bank. Happy days.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Fleur, we're glad to hear your claim got settled and you're happy with the experience ~BLS

Wish I had read the reviews :(

Claim not going well. They keep asking for info which was sent, then denied the claim because we hadn't sent the info in a timely manner. Stall tactics.
AVOID QBE !

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Maria, sorry to hear this. We have sent you a private message where you can provide more details so we can look into this. ~SS

Pathetic

The incompetence of QBE is astounding. They obviously have a business model that involves deliberate and persistent stalling tactics in the hope that claimants will give up. Not going to happen. They send requests for further information to the wrong email address (deliberately I suspect). They send multiple requests for the same information, I have sent one document 3 times since my claim was lodged even though it was included in the initial claim. Every time they receive these documents your claim goes to the bottom of the pile again (10 business days). My partner claimed with her travel insurance company for the same incident and had her pay out within 3 weeks. I'm now up to about 7 weeks with no end in sight. If like me your insurance is via a platinum credit card I suggest making a complaint directly to your bank as I have. Seriously thinking about taking all my banking and mortgage elsewhere due to my poor service I have received from QBE.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jeff, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We will PM you for some details and take a look into this ~BLSYeah nah. I'd prefer to let potential customers know how you deal with claims. Udate. Called today to check on progress of claim.They requested more information from medical professionals to see if the condition was pre existing (imagine my surprise). They already have this information confirming it wasn't pre existing. I then asked to to be put through to a supervisor I was put on hold until I gave up.That old trick. I won't be going away QBE.Hi Jeff, if you don't want to PM us, you can refer this to our Complaints team https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints

Wish I had read the reviews before I opted for QBE travel insurance

In a recent US trip my wife’s diamond fell out of her engagement ring I provided a heap of documents but they came back looking for a reason not to pay I provided more details and was told 10 days .. it’s been 15 days now I’ve called twice been told it’s been re listed and told I’d be called back.. but guess what no call back

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Christian, we're sorry to hear about this. We will send you a PM to get some details ~BLS

I got given some money recently from a claim but it's short of what it should be and there was absolutely no reference to it or the calculations. The only thing it said upon payment was "as per letter issued 29th Jan" which has NOT been issued as I have received absolutely nothing but via email or post. I have emailed straight back when this claim payment notification came through on the 31st and I have heard nothing at all so I am getting quite frustrated and angry now. I am glad for the payment, don't get me wrong (as it had been a long time of waiting over 7wks) but not when it's been calculated wrong and shortchanged without reference to me to clarify. It's a minimum of $70-80 short, if not more (depending on if an excess is charged and how much that is). This is bull, and I need someone to contact ME asap.
Hi Laudie, we can look into this, if you can please private message your claim number alternatively call us on 133 723I don't know how to private message you. I have emailed and recently got another letter sent which again is only the front page confirming the amount t paid, referring to "the next page" for a breakdown but there was only one page sent. So now I replied again only yesterday and now have been told I have to wait yet another 10 days for a responce! Not good enough. Travel claim 619469

I have paid for UK trip on my ANZ Visa. This entitles us to free travel insurance with QBE. Is this safe???
Hi Judith, providing you have met the eligibility criteria for complimentary travel insurance, then you are covered per the PDS that can be found here - https://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/using/premium-insurance/ Enjoy your trip! ~BLSOnly if you have time, patience and are happy to wait months for the resolution of any claim you may make.

I booked jetstar flights for my 3 family members and I last year and managed to obtain the tickets very cheaply, as they are non refundable and can be changed unless I pay a lot of money to do so. We now can't take the trip because my husband lost his job and now has a new job, which means he can not take annual leave. I purchased the dates on my anz visa, so have travel insurance. Am I able to make a claim for these flights with the reason being because of my husband unfortunately not being able to take annual now?
Hi, and thanks for your question. Given the number of factors involved in eligibility for certain cards, we can't answer your question directly here, but recommend submitting a claim via https://www.qbe.com.au/personal/claim#claim-travel so one of our claims officers can assess if you're covered or any additional information you might need to provide to determine this.If you look at all the other complaints and the hoops you have to go thru with providing multiple copies of proof and information, I would say, don’t bother as you will be given the run around without compensation. Save yourself the pain and frustration. I also have paid for my upcoming holiday with my NAB credit card, but after reading the horror stories, I will in future change credit card provider as there are other better deals around.

Similar listings