RAA Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (7)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (11) · No (9)

Radelaide

RadelaideAdelaide

Excellent local call centre and good insurance service

The few times recently I have had to deal with RAA for car insurance they have been excellent. Calls are answered quickly in Australian call centres, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Their fees are competitive and the website works well. 5 Stars from me.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Radelaide, thank you for that great feedback. Yes, our team is proudly South Australian, based at Mile End, employing local people to serve our state. I'll make sure we send your feedback on to our team. Thanks again. Kind regards, Gemma

Paul

PaulGlandore

RAA Finance

Seven phone calls with no return calls to be told as you own a business we don't take the income from the business into consideration when processing an application. If they told me when I first contacted them I would never have applied.
The accounts lady was aggressive.
My wife recently tried for 2 weeks to make an appointment to see one of their travel agents. She never had a phone call back. We booked through another agency.
We are paying members and this is the service they provide.

amanda

Why is 0 not an option !!

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Amanda, I'm sorry to hear of these issues. If you would like me to look in to this for you, I can. If you can send an email to online@raa.com.au with the claim number, I can get our management team to investigate. Kind regards, Gemma

amanda

Thanks Gemma. Ill add this email address to the other one I have when I send in the formal complaint today.

Azam

AzamMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

The worst customer service you could imagine

Mick

MickHampstead Gardens

How hard could it be??

It's been 6 weeks since an RAA-insured lady hit me on my bike. Went through the whole process (police report, she claimed and I submitted photos, quote etc.) and am still waiting to hear anything. I've rang a few times to be told "the report hasn't come back from our assessors". No option to do a damn thing to speed things up. Maybe if they spent less on shiny tv adds....?
nice work team, be proud.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Mick, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with our claims service. Are you able please email us the claim number to info@raa.com.au and attention: Laura? I can have then organise to have this looked into for you. Kind regards, Laura

Petria

PetriaPort pirie

Easy to claim

This was an easy claim process and also the price initially was comparable and we also liked that it was South Australian and meant we were helped by someone local.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Thanks so much for your kind feedback Petria, glad we were able to help. Kind regards, Gemma

Tas K

Tas K

Worst customer service

I had an accident and I wasn’t at fault. I tried to provide the other party’s info and the collision no to RAA but they won’t accept any of the info. I spoke to two agents and they both said that I’ll have to deal the other party’s insurance myself and they can’t do anything about it. What am I paying them for if I have to sort it all out? They take your money and provide no service. Every person I spoke to including the police said that the insurance companies would handle it. Beware if you’re dealing with the claims department. The last thing you need after having an accident is to be on hold for a long time and then speak to someone rude who can’t even help you.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Tas K, sorry to hear you had this experience. I hope this has been resolved for you, but if it hasn't please feel free to contact us at info@raa.com.au and I can follow this up for you. Kind regards, Gemma

Tom

TomMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible customer service, expensive offer

Worst customer service I've ever seen.
Being on the line for a long time and an expensive service was offered to me. I could find the same service from other place way much cheaper.
If they want to keep their customers they need to change their behavior.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Tom, sorry to hear you had this experience. If there is anything you need us to help with please feel free to email info@raa.com.au and we can follow this up for you. Kind regards, Gemma

Angela.SMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Poor service !!

I called the RAA today & asked for a quote for comphrehensive Insurance & third Party property & also an RAA membership.The consultant asked if i had any damage to my car.So I answered as best as I could & he "replied We wont insure you. My background is in Hospitality not car repairs.And the consultant was rude & talked over me.I asked to speak with a supervisor.But you wont be getting my Business & wont be recommending you.

Joseph

JosephAdelaide

DO NOT GO WITH RAA!!!!!!

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Joseph, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have had with our claims service. Am I able to get you to email us with the details so our management can investigate for you? If so, can you please email info@raa.com.au . Kind regards, Gemma

AlbertAdelaide

Terrible claims

I have an accident that it’s very easy to judge that it’s not my fault but raa still need me to pay access when I need my car repaired because they said three party insurance don’t respond. I suspect whether raa staffs are spies of other insurance companies because acces can’t cover the repair costs.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Thank you Albert, I will forward this on to our claims department to investigate today. They will be in touch ASAP. Kind regards, Gemma

Remba

Remba

Terrible when it comes to claims

bobtheboozerAU

they got it wrong again

Cancelled my sons insurance only later to find they cancelled my wife's insurance instead now we are out of pocket as she had an accident. Also they took my name off my sons insurance so not only was I still paying for it but I could not cancel it and my wife is not covered. They got it wrong but I'm paying the price

bobtheboozer

have done so this afternoon no claim number as the lady at Elizabeth said not covered can not help you

Ron3982

Ron3982Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Best Insurance Company

Absolutely a company with high integrity, competative, combined with smooth operations after a car accident, where car was written off, claim made and settled within 4 days. Would not go anywhere else. Thanks RAA

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Ron, great to hear your lovely feedback on our insurance. I will ensure it is passed on to our team. Have a lovely week. Kind regards, Gemma

thuva

thuvaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

The worst company

My vehicle was stolen and found burnt out on 02/03/2018 and I called them they said they will pick it up from the location and they did not call me to give me an update I had to call them on 13/03/2018 and they said the vehicle was not found on the location.
So they told me to ask council and police and they did not take it so police put it as re-stolen. Now they said I have to wait 21 days to get the settlement.
it is not my fault they try to pick up the vehicle after 7 days of the report date.
worst company! Never again.

Mr T

Mr TMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Customer Loyalty Means Nothing!

Stuck on the side of the road in 38 degrees with two screaming kids in the back. Called RAA emergency call out and found out that Our policy had lapsed for some months without us knowing due to change of address. So they wanted us to rejoin at an extra cost of $100 price hike??? And wanted another $90 for the call out??? Really RAA?? I was a Gold member for 15yrs and this is the Loyalty you give your customers.

Jess

JessMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Bad customer service

Overpriced
Bad customer service

What is the point of paying for insurance if the RAA will not help you when someone hits your car?

Do not waste your money on insurance through these crooks.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Jess, I'm sorry to hear you have had these issues. I would be happy to look into what has been happening for you if you would like me to? What would be the best way to get in contact? Kind regards, Gemma

Kerri

Kerri

I love dealing with RAA

I have 2 vehicles insured with RAA (full comprehensive insurance) and my home and contents insurance AND RAA membership and I won’t deal with another insurance company. They are very helpful over the phone and easy to deal with and are good value for money. The more you register with them the more discount you get. You also get discount on other products like spec savers and some electrical companies

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Kerri, Glad to hear you have had a great experience with us! Kind regards, Gemma

AthenaAdelaide

Avoid Avoid Avoid

Quite happy to take your money, but getting anything back from them is like squeezing blood from a stone. Always on hold, always being transferred, always some excuse or some hidden clause buried on page 83 of the terms and conditions that means your exact circumstances are mysteriously not covered. Penny pinched like Scrooge himself to avoid giving me the extra $150 I was entitled to, you'd think they were near bankruptcy the way they fought every cent. Their policy is quite clearly to delay and frustrate you until you eventually give up. Avoid at all costs.

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Athena, I'm so sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Is there anything I can look in to for you regarding this issue? Kind regards, Gemma

Athena

Well replying to the email I sent would be a good start!

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi again Athena, I can look in to this for you. Can you advise where the email was sent to and approx. when? I can get our team to then look into this for you. Thanks again for your feedback. Kind regards, Gemma

Ines

InesAdelaide

Membership

RAA o.Royal Automotive Association

Hi Ines, I'm sorry to hear about the towing issue you have had and the customer service as well. I will send this feedback on to our team to help improve our customer service. Kind regards, Gemma

Trev Smith

Trev Smithasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

What is third party property insurance policy

adila704

adila704asked

RAA Car Insurance

I have comprehensive car insurance ! Recently had accident! my car will be non - repairable. My car is used when we bought but it’s a 2017 Honda and was only done 10,000 and around 40,000 on the clock right before the crash !, my question is , I read it in the PDS that car can be replaced with same model , year and condition ! We have loan with the car , and we only need a replacement car as we need a car anyways as we have 4 children ! Dose it possible to get replacement car instead the insurer pay out our loan and stuff ? This is my first claim ever! Hopefully will be hassle free as I already experienced a very unpleasant costumer services and stressing ! Praying for a good result ! Thank you !

Marelle S.asked

RAA Car Insurance

What is the average wait time for a pay out figure on a vehicle that has been written off under a comprehensive policy?

Douglas
Douglas

Hi Marelle, it took about eight weeks, but I delayed the process by not having my phone on hand (leaving it in the car and not checking the missed calls) when the RAA had tried to ring.

Marelle S.

Thanks Douglas. I have never encountered such a lack of customer service. It is causing me a huge amount of stress and financial pressure. I've been a RAA member for 17 years, and it means nothing. Never again.

Get an answer from our members and Royal Automotive Association representatives

Compare all 4 RAA Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and LandlordHome and Contents and LandlordHome and Contents and LandlordHome and Contents and Landlord
Coverage TypeVeteran, Vintage and Classic VehicleComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterRAA InsuranceRAA InsuranceRAA InsuranceRAA Insurance
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess IncludedNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded up to $750Included up to $750Not IncludedNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedIncludedNot Included
Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded up to $750Included up to $750Not IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Hire Car after Theft

You will not be covered for hiring charges:

• incurred after the date of recovery of your vehicle, or

• after a total period of 21 days, or

• after the claim is settled,

If you have Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Car Insurance you will be covered for the cost of hiring a similar replacement vehicle if your vehicle is stolen.

• incurred after the date of recovery of your vehicle; or

• after a total period of 21 days; or

• after the claim is settled;

• incurred after the date of recovery of your vehicle; or

• after a total period of 21 days; or

• after the claim is settled;
Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $750Included up to $750Included up to $750Not Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,500Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded up to $750Included up to $500Included up to $500Not Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Earlier of 2 years from original registration

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $750Included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $3,000Included up to $3,000
Accidental Loss or Damage
Malicious Damage / VandalismIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
FireIncludedIncludedIncludedNot Included
CollisionNot IncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Natural EventsIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Theft or Attempted TheftIncludedIncludedNot IncludedIncluded
ManualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manual
Compare all 4 RAA Car Insurance