RACV Travel Insurance

RACV Travel Insurance (page 2 of 11)

Arron, (Chadstone.), was very patient and very efficient!!. Perfect!.

Good value, covers what I require! it was easy to set up with Arrons help, and he put the pre-existing conditions, on the file for any new policies. Thanks. Murray Smith. Once before, and was satisfactory.

Suits well my needs

It was easy to set up over the counter. The RACV representative was competent and very efficient. However, before this I've tried to to organise the insurance over the phone and it Appeared to be a task impossible. After halph an hour in the queque on the phone I gave up.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Elizabeth . We are happy to hear that we were there for you. We would love to use your feedback as part of our marketing material, so all our members are aware of the quality of service we provide to travellers. We will protect your privacy by only using your first name, suburb. No other details will be used as part of the material. Can we please have your permission to share your experience? If so, please private message us your full name, address and member number. Thanks again and we look forward to being there for you on your next trip. Thanks again and we look forward to being there for you when you need us next. Warm regards, NICK - Social Media Consultant.

Easy Peasy

When organizing our travel insurance with an RACV telephone operator it was made very easy as the operator spoke plain clear English ! This made the process stress free as I could understand every word clearly. This is the second time we have used RACV travel insurance and have found it very easy to set up and the price is so so reasonable for a family of four.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
Claim MadeNo

Have used before happy with outcome very reliable

Very good value
Have used once before and made a claim very happy with results , quick and easy to deal with.
Using today for the second time. Hope I dont need it lol

Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJune 2013
Claim ApprovedYes

Don’t even bother

Took out travel insurance with RACV, when I returned my rental car they found some damage to the roof of the car. I submitted my claim to RACV and it was rejected because I operated the car in violation of the terms and conditions of the rental policy. But when asked they were unable to tell me how I operated the car in this way.....but still rejected my claim. Don’t even bother with RACV.

Type of ClaimCar/Rental Hire Excess
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedNo

Convenient and trustworthy

Good value and easy to set up. Less that half an hour to set up.This is my first time using this insurer. I would certainly recommend it to other travellers especuially seniors travellers with medical

DestinationAfrica
Claim MadeNo

All we asked for in Travel insurance

Very quick to set up in RACV office, Shepparton. I hope not to make a claim, but have assured that if needed, the claim would be quite simple as promptly settled.

DestinationAsia
Claim MadeNo

Always used, never claimed but pre existing very minor but very expensive.

Have used for three trips and about to take another for next year. Very easy to set up and paperwork very good and thorough. never claimed. Concerned about a 50% loading for pre existing illnesses which are very minor and have caused no problems since diagnosis. Therefore looking at other policies to compare. We have all our insurances with RACV. House and contents, two motor vehicles, caravan, road service and have been members for 61 plus years. We need some better consideration.

DestinationAustralia/Oceania, Europe and North America
Claim MadeNo
Good morning Alan, thanks for your review of RACV Travel Insurance and we appreciate your feedback. We hope our policy will compare favourably with other providers. Happy travels and enjoy the rest of your day! Kind regards, Kristen

Horrible claim process

I have RACV travel insurance which covers the hire car excess fee. Unfortunately, I have had a car accident and pay the excess fee overseas. When I call RACV to seek advice, the customer service was too bad as I was asking the documents requiring for the claim. He said unhappily and agressively. When I made the claim online, the way he helped me even more terrible. He pushed me to finalise with the hire car company when I alrealdy cam back Australia. The only way to communicate with the hire car is via the phone. Although I explained that the hire car company said to me I was free to go after the excess paid, RACV continues asking me to finalise the case. I assume they try to not pay me the claim. Never recommend RACV travel insurance to anyone.

Insurance Cover For:Child
Type of ClaimCar/Rental Hire Excess
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Good morning Patrick, we are sorry to hear that RACV Travel Insurance did not meet your expectations. We will contact you by private message to discuss your complaint further. Kind regards, KristenMany apologies Jerry for calling you by the wrong name, we will be in contact shortly. Kind regards, Kristen

Excellent and friendly service as always, Angela was a pleasure to deal with.

Policy was good value. We have always used RACV for our travel insurance over 5 years and never had a problem.
Have always recommended this service to our regular travelers.

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Good afternoon Patrick, thanks for your great review of RACV Travel Insurance and we appreciate your feedback. Happy travels and enjoy the rest of your day! Kind regards, Kristen

Plenty of options

I have taken out travel insurance four or five times over the last 8 years. Always had great customer service over phone to have options explained and quotes emailed to me. Then it has been simple to access the quotes via the link and pay online. Have claimed once only for minor medical expenses and the claim was settled easily and promptly.

DestinationEurope
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes
Good afternoon Briony, thanks for your great review of RACV Travel Insurance and we appreciate your feedback. Happy travels and enjoy the rest of your day! Kind regards, Kristen

Don’t bother

Took RACV Travel Insurance out when booked travel, 5 months prior to travel. Had a problem with airline cancelling flight time home, leaving us (aged seniors) in limbo for 20 hours in an airport to await next flight. Phoned RACV, I asked a simple question and was treated with disinterest in. Problem. Told him I will then cancel my insurance as our travel is at least 4-5 months away, and have plenty of time to arrange with another insurance company, he said ok to do so but refund not available as out of 21 day period (just). Not even leaving Australia yet and have experienced their attitude, no refund (only insurance I am aware of that at least some proportion is refunded) so what do we do for peace of mind? Cancel and have to pay another thousand or so dollars? Maybe a Royal Commission should be called into ALL insurance companies. Have since been told re reviews, however took notice of a consumer site recommending RACV. Wont trust them or RACV again, their claim payout I believe is only 44%. So, anyone have any advice for us, on our first travel out of Australia? Not looking forward to it now. So for peace of mind when travelling overseas I would definitely NOT buy RACV travel insurance, it that is their attitude I have experienced.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Ric, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations and we were unable to provide a refund. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate. Warm regards, Elise RACV Social Media Consultant.

Perfect travel

Great travel insurance policy. The guy who served me at Chadstone went above and beyond to explain the policy you could do with more people like him in customer service. Looking forward to my trip now.

Claim MadeNo

No Empathy or attention to details

This was my first time, will not be using them again. I lost everything due to fire and water damage overseas. The claims officer lacks attention to detail has not even bothered to look at the information already provided, asking again to provide the same information. Has no empathy. Response time is unacceptable 10 working days after every conversation has breached privacy. RACV is just trying its best ti get out of paying a claim while a claim logged with CGU by my husband for his things went so smoothly and was hassle free

Insurance claim madeYes
HI there, we are sorry to hear about your claims experience. We would like to investigate this further for you if you can please PM us your full name, policy number, claim number, address and best contact. We look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Craig RACV

DON'T do it!!

We took out travel insurance in April for a 5 week trip early June. No problem with health reports for the last 12months from our G.P. In March my husband had a skin check only to discover he had a SCC ( skin cancer) on his nose. He had two unsuccessful attempts to remove this only to be told 2 days before we were to depart that he required radiation for 5 weeks meaning we had to cancel. We then lodged a claim which they kept fobbing us off for 5 weeks then finally said they would not pay. They then demanded medical records going back 2 YEARS !!! and found he had a small SCC on his neck removed, there for it was a pre existing condition! We then had to obtain letters from Dr's who said it was NOT a pre existing condition but an isolated case. We had 5 months of stress asking them to review the situation plus the worry of radiation and the outcome not to mention cancelling our dream holiday and losing a substantial amount of money. Finally we said we were going to the Financial ombudsman for review. They paid promptly!! The whole exercise was a harrowing experience. I can't believe a company as reputable as RACV uses Tokio Marine as their underwriters as you can see from the many reviews the trouble people have had. The mostly good reviews are from people who didn't claim. We hope to do this same trip this year and have taken out insurance with NRMA who uses Covermore.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ern, We are sorry to hear about your claims experience. We would like to see if there is anything we can do to rectify this. Can you polease PM us your full name, policy/member number, address, DOB and best contact. Kind regards, Craig RACV

Would not recommend - terrible experience

We have been RACV members for 30+ years and paid for Total Travel Care for our Europe trip but were so disappointed in the service we received. In late October our flight was cancelled while at the airport, due to bad weather in Milan, so we called RACV’s 24/7 worldwide emergency assistance number to help us get on a new flight as the airport was busy with hundreds of people in line waiting. We were told that the “travel agent” department was closed (not sure why when it’s supposed to be 24/7) and that they couldn’t help us, but they would try to and we would get a call back from them within the hour. They also said that we wouldn’t be allowed to purchase new plane tickets without running it by them first so it could be authorized. After two hours waiting and never getting a call back, we rang them again (after deciding to travel to another airport near Milan – 1.5 hours away – by chance, to hope we could get on another flight) another person said that yes we could just show them our receipts and get all our money back when we got home, nothing needed to be authorized, but still they could not help us with finding another flight on their end.
When we arrived back home in Australia, it was early November and we submitted our claim straight away. At first it took up to 2 weeks to get a response (which we didn’t have a problem with in the beginning) however the person in charge of our claim, Peter, would submit online telling us to upload further documents to our claim, which I would do so, then it took up to 10 days for him to tell us that we needed to upload something else, we would have to wait another 10 days for a response and this happened multiple times going back and forth. It was now Christmas and we were getting frustrated with the lack of service from RACV so we contacted RACV Member Relations and spoke with [name removed] (who was great) and it took for her to get into contact with RACV travel insurance multiple times for them to submit our claim. Two months it took for us to receive our money and it was only half of the items we claimed for. I then asked for the rest to be considered and the new person handling our claim, [name removed], (not sure where [name removed] went) said that we needed receipts and proof. However, if they did their job properly they would recognize that the receipts and proof that they were asking for were already uploaded and had been uploaded from the start.
All and all, I would NOT recommend RACV Travel Insurance. They take over a week to get back to you each and every time, calling them doesn’t help because even then I would get a response saying “they will call you within 24 hours” and never received the call back! Really, really bad customer service. All receipts were there the entire time, and they were asking for really petty things to be changed, taken out of the claim or asking for extra things to be submitted. The other family that we were on holiday with, claimed their expenses through another company and they got their entire claim back within 3 days of being back in Australia without any of the petty questions that we were getting. We feel like they were purposely making it really difficult for us to get our money back, taking three months to do so.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Racquel, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Travel Insurance did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the experience.

Very helpful and pleasant lady

A few times always helpful with good rates
Pleasant staff never any issues
Highly recommend easy access via internet or phone

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jules, Thank you for your feedback on our Travel Insurance. We are glad our rates are competitive and the quality of our service meets your satisfaction. Thanks again for the fantastic feedback. We look forward to being there for you on your next trip. Kind regards, Janice - Social Media Consultant

Generally Have Peace Of Mind With RACV.

I have always used RACV Travel Insurance for the past 40 years,and throughout that time only had 1 small claim in 2016 cancelling a trip because our late son was suffering from terminal cancer, and regretfully the claim could have been handled much better.
That is why I have given you a 4 star rating.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Johno, we are sorry to hear of the passing of your son, and that your Travel Insurance claim was not handled in the best manner. If you would like us to look into your claim experience please PM us with your policy and claims number and preferred contact number. We thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your Travel Claims Experience. Warm regards, Martin - Social Media ConsultantThank you for your condolence, and while the small claim of $4,457.00 could have been handled in a more emphatic manner, I don't wish to pursue the matter any further. The foregoing was the only claim lodged, and it is to be hoped that there is no misfortune lo lodge another claim in the future. However should the unfortunate situation arise it is to be hoped that it would be handled with a lot more sensitivity.Dear Johno, we do appreciate your feedback and we sincerely hope such a claim will be handled with more sensitivity in future. We do apologise for any undue distress caused at this time and if you change your mind about pursuing the matter, please do not hesitate to let us know. Kind regards, Kristen - Specialised Support Services

scratching my head

Had to make two claims with racv because of damage caused bye tennants.the process was seamless and racv went well beyond what i expected. On a different occasion inquired about travel insurance .Provided all details of trip and all was good and they were prepared to insure me until I pointed out "grey areas" regarding laws of country I was visiting.Upon investigating my concerns I was then informed they could not cover me. The lesson learned. ask the questions and do your research.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Vic, thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your Insurance experiences with RACV. We are glad to hear the damage caused by tenants was repaired and your claim processed smoothly and quickly. We are sorry to hear we were unable to provide coverage for your trip, due to the issues surrounding the laws of the country you were planning to visit. Warm regards, Martin - Social Media Consultant.

this is good

Nil. All good. Happy to receive the discount. Good service on the phone by Celeste.Have a nice day and night

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Alan, Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with RACV Travel Insurance. Members have access to a range of discounts including our Travel Insurance. We look forward to being there for you when you need us next. Kind regards, Janice - Social Media Consultant

Does the total travel care policy cover repatriation. As we have been informed that we may not be allowed off the boat in New Caledonia if we do not hold international travel insurance that covers medical costs and repatriation. We have taken this policy out and now are thinking its not the right one.
Racv will tell you to read their PDS ( product disclosure statement ) unfortunately I was ignorant of this and realised after reading their PDS it is heavily loaded in RACV’s favour.Hi Tim, Thanks for getting in contact regarding the coverage of your Travel Insurance Policy. RACV is pleased to advise that we cover for Overseas Medical, Hospital, Cash in Hospital, Dental and Related Expenses. Our medical cover also assists you to find treatment and if necessary, medical evacuation and/or repatriation. If you are hospitalised, you, or a member of your travelling party, must contact Us as soon as possible. The team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are not hospitalised but are being treated as an outpatient and the total cost of any treatment exceeds $2,000, you must contact us as soon as possible as we will not pay for any expenses that have not been approved by us. If you have an overseas emergency, contact our assistance team immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on (02) 8055 1699. For more information please refer to Page 2 and 19 via this link: https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/insurance/racv-travel-insurance/travel-insurance-fsg-pds.pdf. Hope that helps. Kind regards, Janice Social Media Consultant

How do I buy full health insurance?
Hi Xian, RACV do not currently provide health insurance. If you are referring to coverage for overseas medical and hospital cover you can find out more and obtain a quote here: https://bit.ly/2JhvJav

Hi, I’m a student doing an assessment for Commerce and I would like to know what RACV covers and at what prices. I’m 'going' on a safari trip in Africa (Morocco) for 9 days. What insurance would be available and at what price?
Hi Dominique, Thank you for getting in contact regarding a quote on Travel Insurance for your upcoming trip to Africa (Morocco). We are unable to complete this via a Product Review as during the quote process you will be asked a number of questions that are specific to your insurance requirements. It’s important that these questions are answered correctly so that the product being offered meets your identified requirements. Please call us on 13 13 29 from 9am to 6pm or you can visit any RACV Shop. Kind regards, Janice

Travel Insurance