8Rancilio Silvia

Rancilio Silvia Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Rancilio? Claim your listing.
ann
ann · Silvia

Can I purchase this machine in Christchurch

Westie
Westie

I’m pretty sure you purchase it in any church you like if you order online.

Maree C.
Maree C. · Silvia

The portafilter on my Rancilio Silvia won’t stay in place unless I hold it now and only moves a fraction when I slot it in. I’ve done a full clean on the machine and regularly backwash it too. Any ideas?

tcp
tcp

You can adjust the tension of the portafilter "grip" by adding paper shims under the group gasket. Ask your dealer for the shims. Buy a new gasket while you are at it as the old one may be a bit compressed which is probably what has caused the problem

Ronnie Atlas
Ronnie Atlas · Silvia

Hi There, I want to replace the driptray of my Silvia which is a little rusty.... anyone want to recommend someone selling spare parts or wrecking Rancilios?? Also for new gaskets and other service needs, I'm sure they could help too....Most grateful for any leads! Thanks, Ronnie (ronnieatlas@gmail.com)

Sharon · Silvia

My silvia has started to splatter and spit when I try to make coffee - coffee all over the place - the steamer is fine. Any help?

Makingtide
Makingtide

Sound like the gasket in the group head is gone or there is stuff stuck to the gasket so it doesn't form a good seal. Be wary about using it as the boiler has a tendency to bake the electrical wiring loom brittle and if there is water spraying around and it is getting inside the unit you run a risk of electric shock. This happened with mine. I don't trust Rancilio anymore - not the quality they profess to be.
I'd get it serviced ASAP.

Sharon

Ok I will thank you very much very much appreciated

Sorry espresso machines

Rob_lam
Rob_lam · Silvia

I don't seem to be able to get the expresso to creme

Chris

I will try to help. Its a combination of coffee quality, grind, tampering and water temp temperature. Let's assume the quality is okay and you know how to get the right temperature on the machine. Grind the coffee to the granularity of caster sugar. Fill the basket with 15 -18 grams of coffee. Tamp it down with 30 Pounds or 12 Kilo of hand tamper pressure. Load the group handle and when the light indicator is correct. run the water pump through the coffee for around 30 seconds. If the coffee bubbles through too fast, the grind is too coarse or not enough coffee. If it struggles to drip coffee into the cup, the coffee is too fine or there is too much coffee. Experiment with coarser or finer and tamper pressure. Let me know how this goes.

Chris

This might help a little to see the result you should be aiming for.

Peter S.
Peter S. · Silvia V5

Where can we purchase the Silvia and Rocky grinder with tamper?
Are they sold as a set?
Any suggestions, I live in Brisbane

bilnrobn
bilnrobn

There are plenty of Australian sources. Here is one https://www.coffeemachinespecialist.com.au/shop/rancilio-silvia-with-doserless-grinder-package/ Google to find others. You my need to buy online. Any Rancilio supplier would have them or could get them. This one is in Brisbane, but you may still need to buy online as it is through ebay. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rancilio-Silvia-V5-Espresso-Machine-Brisbane-Miss-Sylvia-Coffee-Machine-Maker-/172089351293

Coffee Nut
Coffee Nut · Silvia V5

Are there grinders that are recommended for use with the Rancilio Silvia E ?

I do have a grinder but I suspect that on the finest setting the grind is to coarse for the Rancilio Silvia E and the resultant brew is very disappointing ( very weak light brown with no crema).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

fastred
fastred

Have you considered the Rancilio Rocky (Doserless) grinder? You can pick one up for around $450. I purchased the Lelit PL043 grinder for $349 – it’s more compact than the Rocky.

timoteo
timoteo · Silvia

I have just set up my 2017 Rancilio Silvia for the first time. I purchased a high end burr grinder from Baratza (recommended with this machine). I tamp the grinds and follow all instructions, but no coffee comes out. I have adjusted the grind size and tested still nothing comes out! Do I need to adjust the pressure valve? How do I get a shot of espresso to come through the coffee grinds and basket?

Hi Timoteo,

It's possible that you have chosen a grind size that is too fine. If that is the case, and you tamp too firmly, little to no espresso will come out. I use a Rocky grinder and have it set to a grind size of 10 - unfortunately, I don't know how that translates to your grinder settings. The ground coffee should be quite fine. The finer that grind, the less tamping pressure required. The tamp pressure is important and you may be pressing too firmly. If you make some adjustments to grind size and tamping pressure, you may find that things start working as they should. If not, there may be another issue. The pressure valve is something I don't know anything about but I'd hope your new machines is set correctly.

Good luck.

Douglas W
Douglas W · Silvia V3

Hi I turn my rancilio Silvia on like I do every morning. Turned on the steam button was waiting for the light to go off and walked away got distracted for 10 or so minutes is this bad for my machine? Thank you in advance

Hi Douglas,

Based on what I've read, it is best not to leave the steam function on for extended periods as the heating element does get extremely hot and will burn out. I always ensure that I run water through the group head after I use the steam function to reintroduce cold water into the boiler. I don't think you will have damaged your machine doing what you did but I wouldn't make a habit of forgetting that your steam switch is on. I am a new user of the Rancilio and I have found that it requires a bit more attention and concentration than other machines I have owned.Sounds like you might be getting used to it, too. Hope this was helpful. All the best.

Scott Brasuell
Scott Brasuell · Silvia V3

My silvia was manufactured 0514.It is a 220 volt machine.Do you know if it is a v3 or v4 version?Dont have to temp surf maybe due to the higher voltage making it more stable.It gets hot and stays very stable.Have never seen a video review of a 220 volt machine.Thanks for the help.

Sceptic
Sceptic

Sorry, can't help other than to suggest that you dig a hole in the backyard, dump your machine in it and get something else. I'm stuck with mine and can't afford to replace it. Can't tell you how much I regret buying this thing. Antique, clunky technology, PAINFULLY slow, inadequate spill tray, woefully inadequate dose holder, completely particle-size specific/dependent, this thing is a con job, buy it at your peril and then make sure that you have instant coffee as a fall-back option.

Haberfield Guy.
Haberfield Guy.

^^ Do you shoehorn your own personal gripes without helping into every question asking for help?

stokeygilr2015
stokeygilr2015 · Silvia V4

Hello, My hubby had left my Rancilio Silvia Frothing button on for 2 days :( (i was in hosptial) now it won't work at all? I am thinking the milk frothing devise has died? Has anyone had this problem, or know of where i can get it fixed pretty quickly in Sydney or Canberra? Thanks in advance

Domino1352
Domino1352

You may need a new boiler or prehaps a new element.

Give theses guys a call http://dibartoli.com.au/service-centre/ they are at Bondi in Sydney.

There are others https://www.google.com.au/search?q=rancilio+repair+sydney you might find one closer...

You will also need one of these...

http://dogboxaustralia.com.au/products/ <<< for person who left frother on for 2 days...

Anthony Goodwin
Anthony Goodwin

Yep, bad news, most likely resulted in a burned out element. Pretty costly repair, couple of hundred. Good luck

Neil
Neil

I had this problem on my 2008 model Silvia a few times and can be solved (assuming the modern versions are similar) by removing the water reservoir and top metal lid. On the boiler there is a little red reset switch which stops the unit from burning out. This has probably tripped. Use a screwdriver to push the button back in. Reassemble and switch back on. This should fix it. Found this video on Youtube to help. Good luck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQdJNm9RV68

KingKKrupps
KingKKrupps

There is a thermal cut out switch that needs to be reset inside the machine. It usually shuts the machine down before burning out the element and boiler.

Take it to a coffee machine repairer expecting a new boiler and element but you may be pleasantly surprised to find its only the switch that needs to be reset

cousin it · Silvia V4

My Rancilio Squirts water out of the coffee grounds holder whenever I make a coffee, not always but often enough to be frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Andrew

If you heat your milk before you make your shot of coffee and try to make a shot of coffee immediately after, then the steam in the boiler will blow steam and water out of the handle when you try to make the coffee shot. If that is the problem then you need to bleed the steam off (by opening the steaming wand) before you try to make a shot of coffee - otherwise the pressure is too high and it will blow out (and also cook the coffee grounds by overheating them). If you make coffee first then that is not the problem.

If that is not the problem, overfilling the grounds can make it hard to properly close the handle and it can leak. Also, if the coffee is very finely ground and you tamp it very hard, then the pressure build up is too much and you can blow the water out (rather than it passing through the grounds).

In my case, if it happens it is usually that I steamed milk and forgot to bleed off the steam before trying to make a shot of coffee - so I shoot steam and overheated water through and it spurts and splutters and throws water out (and makes a horrible burnt shot in the process).

Any of that make sense?

Matty

Sounds like your portafilter is not sealing properly with the grouphead. I had this problem and found that I wasn't turning the handle far enough when locking the portafilter into the grouphead. Make sure that you turn the handle all the way to the 6 o'clock position or even a bit further to between 5 and 6 o'clock and this should hopefully ensure a tight seal. If this doesn't work, perhaps the rubber grouphead seal deteriorated. It's pretty simple to change out the seal and replacements can be bought fairly cheaply on Ebay.

cousin it

thanks to both answers- wil give those suggestions a shot

Harv · Silvia V3

I have used at least 3 time a day the Ranchilio Silvia to prepare espressos in the last 3 years and most of the time very happy with the results. Recently I'm getting less impressive results, its looks like heating up quickly and warming up more than normal (checking the heat on the top cover), the coffee is pouring faster than before with much less crema. I have tried to put a round piece of aluminium foil with central hole and placed it in the bottom of the basket, it have improved results, but this is not the way it should work. I also started getting a very strong steam from the machine which make it difficult to make a good frothing. I am using the KG-100 grinder which till now did a good job, and using good quality coffee beans, have noticed the grinder was always set up on the finest scale, doesn't matter the type of coffee, maybe its performances degraded? Although the grind coffee looks good, any suggestions on how I can improve this?

Coughs

Check you thermostats are operating in the correct range. It sounds like the machine is heating up to much, and if it continues will go the way of most of the silvias

Harv

Thanks for your advice, do you know of any instructions how to do it?

Charlotte41
Charlotte41 · Silvia V3

In my machine the coffee comes out far too fast and it is very thin and with no taste can you help me as to why please?

Coughs

chances are that you grind is not fine enough

Robboa
Robboa

1st point get a good grinder? I use the Rocky grinder and can get down to a very fine grind. 2nd are you using the 1x or 2x basket in the portafiller. The single is tricky to use, the grind must be fine, the amount and tamper needs to be sufficient. I rarely use the single.

Not really essential but I got a solid chromed tamper, I could easier feel and control the tamp.

Besides the more difficult single shot basket, I can make it as restricted as I need to the point the coffee is so tight it wont even come out. It does take some time to work out, but your problem is actually 'upstream' of the brew, ie the grind and the tamper. I have a ritual/habit that gets me a repeated good result - Grind, tap portafiller with the tamper 2 times each side to settle the grind, rest on table and tamp down(easier to control the pressure), lock in place and brew. Also make sure the machine is warmed sufficiently, though still works well from a cold start and brew as soon as the light goes out.

disappointed
disappointed

I do not believe that about the grind. When I went back to my trusty Sunbeam, I used the commercial gound coffee which was blended and ground locally and the same coffee I used with the Rancilio and the coffee had a beautiful crema on top which I could not get with the Rancilio. No, I believe these temperamental machines are not much chop.

Matty

The reason why your trusty Sunbeam produced beautiful "crema" is because it probably has a pressurised portafilter. This is a crema enhancement device that restricts the flow of water through the portafilter so that grind size and tamp aren't as important. This is the way to go if you want to use preground coffee.

The Rancilio has a commercial, non-pressurised portafilter. In this case, it is the tamped coffee grounds that restrict the flow of water. So, grind size is critical in the Rancilio and any machine using a non-pressurised portafilter. Bottom line is you need a good burr grinder if you want to get the best out of your Rancilio. Once you get the grind size sorted, the results will be far superior to the Sunbeam.

Ingoo
Ingoo

1) Do you have a quality grinder to grind beans on demand as you make your coffee? If so, then set it finer and/or dose more into the basket to slow the pour.

2) How old are your beans? Thin, fast pours with poor taste can be from stale old beans.

Select a listing for your question
Rancilio Silvia

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Rancilio? Claim your listing.
The Little Guy Home Barista Kit