8Rancilio Silvia

121 reviews · Statistics

80% · 9718 · 15%
Product is used
  • Daily (23)
  • Several times a week (2)
Noise Level
Consistency
Milk Frothing
Makes consistently good coffee
Durable build quality
Reliable PID controller
Brand Manager for Rancilio? Claim your listing.
See the Best Coffee Machines in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Rancilio Silvia121 reviews
Mark
MarkVICGippsland, VIC23 posts
Preserves
Preservesgeelong4 posts

My Pride And Joy

I love my Rancilio. It gave me an absolute thrill the "graduate" to this after years of putting up with a basic Sunbeam model. Construction quality is second to none and the results are truly professional look on Coffee snobs - you will see everyone has this machine. Its the king!

Tealy
Tealymelbourne4 posts

Fancy Coffee Anyone?

This is the favorite of many "bean snobs" site and I admit to being sucked in a bit by all those reviews.

This machine is not for the faint hearted. You have a lot to lean and a lot of control. I would say that you should have a clear idea of you ideal coffee to start with and experiment and keep making adjustments until you get there.

Build quality of the machine itself if very solid and should last years.

Just be prepared to put in the time to learn how get that coffee you are after

Darcy_Dunbar
Darcy_DunbarNSWMurray Region, NSW11 posts
  Verified V2
timax
timax2 posts
  V5

Not as good as i thought it should be

We have had 3 Pavoni machines over the past 35 years or so and this Rancillio for about 1 year. I thought we might try a machine with a pump for a change instead of a lever. What a mistake!

Everyone in the family hates it . It sprays coffee all over the place , the steam valve leaks, cant steam and pull a shot at the same time , the wand needs draining before every shot and there is always so much water coming out.

Just a really poor machine. Expensive for what you get also.

*Editing to add That after reading what other are saying about the need to find the correct grind setting that this may reduce some of my issues.

dale.callaghan
dale.callaghanAU6 posts
  Verified V5
J man
J man11 posts

Such Good Coffee

Rancilio Silvia, well secret of this machine is to match it with a good grinder, make sure you backflush it regularly and use fresh beans with it and the coffee is fantastic great crema and it really takes you back to truly manual coffee.

It is always worth the effort when you can pull a lovely espresso.

JB Review
JB ReviewNSWMid North Coast, NSW7 posts

Solid coffee machine

Pretty good value considering what you get. You need to factor in training with this beast otherwise you'll might as well stay with your blend 42. Though once you're up and running, then expect to get really w@anky with your coffee. Half the time the coffee I buy out isn't as good as my morning joe. I recommend! 5*

Art V
Art VSAMetropolitan Adelaide, SA7 posts
  V5

A steep learning curve but well worth it

Like all Rancilios, there is a bit of a learning curve involved with this machine. However, it pays off in the end with the reward being good quality espresso at home. I recommend reading the manual and spending some time on the coffee forums online to get some valuable tips.

Georgie555
Georgie555Western Australia24 posts
  V5

Wonderful but would recommend adjustment to be made with power point by electrician

I bought this machine about six months ago and it is great. Sturdy and reliable with great coffee. Received a free grinder which is great. I did purchase this directly from Italy but it arrived just as quick as express post so I can recommend the company. The machine comes with an adaptor plug for Australian power points but I got an electrician to change this over for me and there have been no problems. You probably don't need to but I would check re insurance if you don't.

Andrew M
Andrew M4 posts
  V5

Feeling like a real barista now

Have just acquired the latest Rancilio Silvia with a Rocky grinder. Aesthetically speaking, this is a beautiful looking combination. I have done extensive reading about how to perfect shots and how to warm the machine quickly and this was time well spent. I have invested in a proper tamper from Rancilio as a proper tamping is critical to making a good brew. Very happy with this product. My last machine, a Breville Barista Express died after 3 years; it lost all pressure and started producing awful shots. Hoping the Rancilio lasts much longer. It does demand more patience but making good coffee is a pleasure worth my time.

Alysha
AlyshaMelbourne7 posts
  V5

As a full time barista, this at home coffee machine makes the cut!

As a full time barista, I needed something to use at home that measured up to the kind of machines that I regularly work on (and that retail $30,000+!).

The Rancilio Silvia is perfect. Providing the functions I need to create perfect espresso, and a steam wand with enough power to texturise milk, I am so happy with this purchase.

I can recommend this product to baristas, but also to the average consumer who wants to take the next step with their at-home coffee set up. This machine gives you everything you need to make the best coffee possible at home.

My only limitation is that the catchment tray is quite small, and needs to be emptied quite regularly, otherwise, this set up is perfect!

BenEddieE
  V2
Phil L
Phil LVICGippsland, VIC13 posts
Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how Rancilio Silvia compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Greg J
Greg J2 posts

Outstanding

This is Italian authenticity and simplicity at its best. The perfect machine for brewing a short or long black. It is also extremely robust and, two years down the line, looks like the day I got it. Love it - highly recommended.

A slightly bigger water tank would be nice, but is not necessary.

Salty
SaltyPerth4 posts
teckleicq
teckleicqAdelaide14 posts
  V4

Great espresso maker, if you know how to use it properly!

I've had this coffee machine for over 5 years now, and until a few months ago I was wondering why I wasn't getting great coffee out of it, and whether it needed a service, or something.

I googled and watched some video tutorials and found out it needed finer ground coffee in order for it to work at its best and since then i've been getting much better coffee from it.

Fairly easy to clean with the group head, catcher, frother, tray and tray cover to clean after making a flat white, but it is no Nespresso machine in convenience.

Do your research and get to know how to use your Rancilio Silvia first and maintain it with decalcification and cleaning the group head.

Matt B
Matt BMelbourne2 posts
  Verified V3

Solid construction, works well

It makes a good coffee, doesn't have the double boilers that a lot of the newer machines do or the dials and sensors that you could get in a similarly priced machine now.

Simple and easy to use, though you need to let it sit for about 10minutes to warm up, even though it may say it is ready the head and group need to be warm as well to make good coffee. Pressure and temp are good

Cleaning is simple, robust design, mines lasted 5 years.

Lrey
LreyPerth

So disappointing

Purchased this machine because of its fantastic reviews, many of my friends have had theirs for years and very happy. Unfortunately, I have not had this experience and I am obsessive about looking after my machine. In the three years I have had it I have had the element replaced twice.

Donna Byrne
Donna ByrneBrisbane3 posts

Love this coffee machine

Absolutely can not live without this machine, it is a machine that is easy to use and can be easily cleaned. I have had the machine for over a year now and has not missed a heart beat. It still leaves the flavour of the beans at its fullest that delivers you an amazing coffee

purplethings
purplethingsVICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC36 posts

Coffee is a must!

If you are after a coffee machine that is not automatic, this is a good one. It does take a little practice in the beginning to get the coffee the way you like it (trying out different grinds and types of coffee etc), once you are there you can make a consistent great tasting coffee. There is a little work involved in cleaning it, however by taking care of the machine and keeping it clean, the coffee tastes much better.

hallistick
hallistickVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC16 posts
  V2

Once a fantastic Machine punching above its weight, but new ones iffy. They have trashed the name

My version from what I'm hearing was the last one of quality. It needs some attention now (perhaps a new element, but hopefully just electrics, will know soon) Turns out Rancilio have cheapened all components to the point where its not really serviceable any more. The replacement element according to the repairer only last a year or so, and they aren't cheap to replace. This downgrading began with my model cosmetically (started using plated plastic instead of the old real metal etc) and apparently continued into the innards now with really cheap parts being used. Why they didn't go with a higher price and keep the quality I don't know but wouldn't now buy another.

ScepticInaminka5 posts
Sceptic

I wrote the review that began..."Context: Seven (7) home espresso machines since 1982." Would you like another more detailed review of the Rancilio after a further 3 months of fine tuning and despair?

dom
dom

awesome machine. Get a PID. Patience

Makes Great coffee .Using freshly ground beans.

Spent a long time trying to get it right. Nearly gave up .

Realised my cheap grinder wasn't helping.

Bought a K-3 Touch.70%better. Added a PID 95%better.

(forget temp surfing).digital scales measuring to .01. 99%better.

the rest is technique. If you spend time tuning yourself to the machine

using ,60mil (double shot basket),25-30sec,92degC as a ''rough'' guide,

and 17.5 grams of coffee you will be happy with the rancilio.

If you want a machine the whole family can use ,get one that's fully

automatic. I think rancilio should make a PID mandatory. Most of the cheaper

brands come with pressure guages. temp is more important than pressure

when deciding to flick the button. IMO.

Pa J
Pa J

Fiddly & time consuming

Before buying the latest Rancho Silvia, I read a number of product reviews & almost seemed to say this was a great machine. But I find the relatively small water reservoir, lack of any gauge to tell how much water is in it & the absolutely token drip tray painful features. I also hadn't heard about the water temperature issues until just now & didn't know I had to "temperature surf" to hit the right temp. The small basket is useless, as is the tamper. So all in all, I find the Silvia way too fiddly to be fun. It's a real disappointment. The Rocky grinder is good.

Anthony Goodwin
Anthony GoodwinNew South WalesLong Jetty, New South Wales10 posts
  V4

If you know what you're doing, this is your best value for money machine

Ok, so I've had mine for a few years now. Use it 2-3 times a day. Invest in a good grinder or you are wasting your time. To get best results, you also gotta buy a thermostat switch unit on ebay. It takes a bit of fiddling, but once on, you have all the control you need. Do your steamed milk first, then switch over to the extraction run water through till you are at 96 degrees celsius. Then pop in your group and run your coffee through.... DON'T leave your machine on, you'll burn it out! Another tip for longevity is to keep your steam wand stationary and the gaskets and seals will last longer.... mine has been serviced twice

Disgruntled consumer
Disgruntled consumer4 posts
Domino1352
Domino1352Victoria9 posts

Had mine for 12+ years

Perfect reliability

No problems with spare parts (only needed a tine spring for steam tap).

Makes 4+ coffees EVERY day.

Pulled boiler apart only twice to descale. Easy job all you need is hex key and screw driver.

(Takes some before photos to, particularly wire locations).

I would definitely recommend!!

Rocks
Rocks2 posts

Problems With My Rancilio

Supposedly the top of the line in home espresso machines, "a highly reliable machine, producing great coffee every time". This is not my experience. An issue with the thermostat on my machine took months to resole. My experience has been poor, both with the machine and the retailer Coffee Aroma.

Mark
MarkMelbourne26 posts

Great Machine

Great single boiler machine which is great fun and makes great coffee. Looks great too and has a fairly small footprint so doesn't take up too much space in the kitchen. Has never let me down and other than monthly back flush cleaning hasn't required any maintenance. Overall I am very happy with it & would recommend it as a first serious expresso machine.

lem
lemWarrandyte5 posts

Nice machine

Perfect machine for espresso use. It's pushing about 10 -15 espresso's a week for the last 10 years. Needs routine maintenance and cleaning, which can be found easily on the web. Not the machine I would recommend for making cafe latte or cappuccino due to single boiler design. You would need to spend double for a decent double boiler machine.

Heado
Heado

Great option

For price and usability you can't do much better. Makes a great coffee. Steam is strong. It is easy to clean. Looks good sitting on the bench in the kitchen. I had read other reviews and was impressed by others thoughts which made it an easy decision to buy this one.

Brad
BradSydney36 posts

Working flawlessly for 4 years now

I was a little hesitant at first because at the time $850 was a lot of money to spend on a coffee machine, and I was going through a bit of a coffee phase which I didn't know was going to last. Bought the Rocky grinder as well. I am pleased to say that after 4 years and an estimated 800 cups of coffee, it is still working flawlessly. Produces great espresso shots with crema, and with a little bit of practice you can froth the milk to perfection.

Matty

IngooPerth4 posts
Truck
TruckSAMetropolitan Adelaide, SA3 posts

Needs a doser grinder

The Miss Silvia is a fantastic coffee machine with a steep learning curve if you do not have a doser grinder. I have had my Miss Silvia for 2 years using a Sunbeam Cafe Series grinder - the problem was getting a consistent amount of ground coffee in the portafilter. Very recently purchased a Breville BCG600SIL Dose Control Pro now every shot is the same I set the unit 6 seconds grind time. The grinder is less than $200

GregNeville
GregNevilleVictoriaMelbourne, Victoria2 posts

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Rancilio? Claim your listing.
The Little Guy Home Barista Kit