Ray's Outdoors
See the Best Camping Shops in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Ray's Outdoors? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

2.2
    Leema
    LeemaAU

Poor retail experience - online and stores

The negative comments from previous reviewers are legitimate and reflect my own experience.
    Couldn't fulfill my online order. Followed up with call centre and got the 'different offices' excuse. Was instructed to call around stores directly myself then in the end they refused to ship across state lines. An outdated retail model that will probably see these guys go under in the modern, digital world.

Icky
    Icky

Expiry date on gift cards

Since we've travelled a lot over the last 18 months we received a Rays gift card for Christmas. We were shocked to find that there was a 12 month expiry date on the back of the card! There was extensive media coverage and criticism a few years ago about expiry dates on gift cards. Since then every retailer we are aware of has relaxed this outrageous rule. But not Rays!
    Get with the times Rays Outdoors! Trying to increase forced purchases at the cost of losing customers is a very unwise business tactic.
    We have requested our family and friends not to get us any more Rays gift cards.

Jack 2
    Jack 2melbourne

Membership rewards

I have been a member with Rays for years. I was of the understanding that you got reward dollars held in credit for purchases based upon what you have previously spent. I was never made aware of the fact that these have an expiration date of 12 months.
    Today I was in store and asked what my reward total was, I was expecting several hundred dollars as this is what it was when I had previously asked. Their answer nil.

I am for sure not ever coming back to this store again. They are not cheap and only of benefit with their credit rewards.

There are plenty of other retailers to choose from.

I was not notified my credit had and expiry.

I was not notified my credit would soon run out.

Damaged stock

Bought camping items from rays had to return half of my order due to damage , clothes still had security tags on them..
    When i recieved my order for the 2nd time there was damage to my merchandise..i emailed 2 different departments with no response..

WARNING: Keep away from online ordering!

Placed an order online. Parcel arrived - trouser sizing all wrong. Trying to return for refund. The contact number in their returns policy has been disconnected! No reply to email. Stuck with expensive clothes that don't fit. This is usually the behaviour of a company about to fold, so don't risk your money with online orders!

Will not order from here again. 6 weeks and still waiting for my order to arrive. I live in Melbourn

No Refund

Hat ordered on line was too small. Returned for refund. No luck. Have emailed marketing and received no response. Still no refund. Weeks now.

Gerry Walker
    Gerry WalkerSouthwest, VIC

Not happy, Ray!

Online ordering nightmare.

Shoes were ordered on 8/12 (guaranteed delivery before Xmas for all purchases made before 13/12) and when delivered on Monday 19/12 they had picked the wrong shoes from the warehouse (low cut shoes that look nothing like mid hiking boots). Staff through the whole process have been so unhelpful and it has taken too long (still have not received the correct shoes as of 2/1/17). Express post had apparently been arranged for the 20/12 and currently still awaiting delivery. Poor service considering I initially paid $20 postage with this company to have the shoes delivered and other stores I ordered through on the same day had free postage and delivery took 3 business days NOT over 3 weeks and counting. Very poor.

Terrible Steel Cap Boots

sam
    samMelbourne

Overpriced,

This store is a joke. So damn expensive. You can buy the the stuff cheaper at any other camping/outdoor store. Best to buy online in my opinion.

Poor range of brands

Where did all the good quality brands go? And what you do have is very limited. Sad to see as these stores used to be fun to walk into and shop.
    Bye bye rays outdoors

John
    John

A rude and dominating Manager, pushing an unacceptable Customer & Returns policy in breach of Consu

I will never, ever, do business with these people again. Some time ago I was refused a refund after being told by the Sales Staff member if the size of the item I was buying for my wife would not fit, I could get a refund no problem. When I returned it, as it did not fit her, they refused a refund and said "Credit Only". When I would not accept that for the above reason, a rude and dominating Manager came and ordered me out of the Nunawading Store! As a National Marketing Director with 50 years of shopping I have never been treated in such an unprofessional, pathetic and demeaning manner, and the staff also seemed intimidated by this arbitrary individual.

Wrong item posted. Terrible communication

I have been sent a gas stove instead of a camp kitchen. The invoice clearly shows that they have sent the wrong item. I've sent four emails and rang several times only to be told someone will contact me. Very very poor service and communication. I have never ever had any issues with dealing with anyone else online. Will never buy again.

J. Oakley
    J. OakleyVictoria, 3661

Don't buy online.

I purchased socks online. After 12 phone calls over a period of 6 months they finally arrived with no apology or anything. Will never purchase from them again. No service and no explanations.