Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

2.1

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (1), 1-2 weeks (3), 2-4 weeks (1), 1-2 months (1) and 3+ months (3)
  • Claim ApprovedYes · No (11)

Advance

No, real insurance is more expensive compares to others. We made claim for our dog Kya which was deny And one wasnt paid. As the vet diagnose herv with the wrong was diagnoses. And we weren' t very happy either.

Claim DateFebruary 2017

Review collected in partnership with Real Insurance

Going with RPI was the biggest mistake I ever made for my pet care!

Policy is of next to no value. Discussions leading up to me taking out the policy with RPI were total nonsense! They've not covered what I needed & what I was supposed to be covered for and I pay well in excess of $100 per month for one pet. Pet insurance (with this provider anyway) is totally not worth it - total scam!

Claim DateSeptember 2018

Hi Natasha,
I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the service that you have received. I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

Kimberley W.

Kimberley W.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Always a terrible service

Terrible communications between people I speak to, messed around so many times. If my dog was younger I’d change insurers but they started stuffing me around with claims 3 years ago when he was already getting too old to change. After being with them and paying a hefty premium for 7 years!

Number of Pets2 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Pet Insurance

Find out how Real Pet Insurance compares to other Pet Insurance

Adam M.

Adam M.Sydney, NSW

Garbage, doing everything possible to avoid claims! avoid!

Horrible first experience with a pet insurance company.
detailing false information regarding a claim, advising a condition was pre existing when it clearly wasn't, won't respond to emails and now they will take 10-15 days to get back to be involving a review, ONLY, only after I pushed back many times, what an absolute joke.
REAL will be paying my claim, I will be pushing with the ombudsman and further, so they better get back to me asap, will never go back.

Claim DateDecember 2019
Kathryn

KathrynWimmera, VIC

Easy claiming, no hassles!

Claim lodged and paid in three days. No waiting, or complicated forms to fill out it was all done by the Vet Practice. Have been with this company for 3 years.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Hi Kathryn,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am pleased to hear of the ease in which your claims are submitted and that we can assist in providing support for your pet, when needed.

Don’t pay claims

Have been with them for about four years. Pay premiums fortnightly - about $75 per fortnight for two small dogs. Lodged a claim for a vet bill of $80 and it was refused because the vet notes stated that my dog MAY have scratched her eye after being groomed two days before. Claim refused due to complications following grooming. A) may or may not have been complication following grooming and B) why should it matter. It could have been caused by windy weather too, which had been experiencing around the same time. Been paying them about $75 per fortnight, and this vet bill was for $80.

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Hi David,
Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to look into this. Your feedback has been passed on for coaching purposes.
Jessica

Great follow up on claims and quick response

Great value policy and all but one of my claims have been claimed in very short time. They are very precise with the information they need for claims which helps a lot when claiming.

Claim DateMay 2019

Hi Liza,
What a wonderful review. I am delighted to hear of the great service you have received when making a claim and that most of your claims have been finalised efficiently. We appreciate you sharing your experience.
Sharon

Maria

MariaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Would never recommend Real Pet Insurance to anyone

When I joined Real Pet Insurance I specifically stated i wanted my German Shepherd to be covered for Pregnancy. 18 month later when i put in a claim i was told my pet is not nor was she ever covered for pregnancy, the customer service was absolutely terrible from them with no solution and no help and when i told them i wanted to cancel my policy, they simply answered yes we can do that today.

Number of Pets0 pets
Claim DateAugust 2019

Hi Maria,
We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. I have sent you a private message in regards to this.

Not very professional

It took a month and a half after the claim , been with real for 3 years. Kept on asking for more information all the time . The people on the phone are rude

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJuly 2019

Hi Darren,
I am sorry to hear about your claim experience and I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you. I have sent a private message requesting some additional information to assist with this.
Thanks,

Find out how Real Pet Insurance compares to other Pet Insurance

Maureen

MaureenSydney, NSW

Ordinary.

At this stage after spending $2000. On Vet. bills, little help having our dog insured.
Policy of little value. Easy to set up of course.
Been with company a couple of years.
Recent claim would have been easy for you to resolve. 0,0,0,0,0,0,0, easy to arrive at.
Sorry, but insurance company’s are a pain in the clacker. A bit like using an ash tray on a motorbike.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019
Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Pre-existing ear infection of doom

Claim DateMarch 2019

Kevasked

Real Pet Insurance

No pet insurance has great reviews but yours is the worst . Are you happy about this ? What are you doing to win back the customers you have lost due to your unreal actions . Are you incompertant or just uncareing ? Why and how are you still in business selling this useless insurance policy?
I pray you go down very soon and stop the Hurt and heart ache you cause the most needy in society

Benedict G.Real Insurance

Hi there, we have responded to your original post and have asked for you to provide us with your policy and contact number so we can contact you to assist you with your claim.

Kev

Once again this just shows how disconnected you are with your customer base . This is NOT an answer to my question . I have supplied you with the details you are asking for but it didnt help me or my Pet . I no longer have a policy with you and will NEVER again . You have allready KILLED my beloved pet . I am asking this to help others make an informed decision and your uncareing responce should be enough for most ?

Helen

Helenasked

Real Pet Insurance

please send me your email as I need to email a clients history to you.

Greenstone F.Real Insurance

Hi Helen, thanks for your enquiry. Please email real@petsure.com.au, thank you.

Gaz

Gazasked

Real Pet Insurance

Can a supervisor contact me,if you can?

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Hi, Can you please private message me your policy details here: www.facebook.com/RSPCAPetInsurance and I can arrange for a Service Manager to contact you. Thank you

Get an answer from our members and Real Insurance representatives

Accidental Injury CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverOptional ExtraNot IncludedNot Included
Tick Paralysis$1,200$1,000Included
Emergency Boarding Fees$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$500
Lifetime Cover IncludedIncludedIncluded
Cooling Off Period30 Days30 Days30 Days
Consultation Fees$300$300$300
Cruciate Ligament Conditions$2,600$2,600Included
Waiting Period for Illness 30 Days30 Days30 Days
Condition Limit$2,000 per condition (Classic Accident & Illness Cover only)
Compare all 3 Real Pet Insurance