Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks (5), 2-4 weeks (5), 1-2 months (4) and 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (8) · No (7)

Not value for money at all

This company is an absolute rip off. Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere!!!! Always a reason they can't pay a rebate and absolutely not worth the money!!!
I tried to cancel my policy today only to be told I needed to keep paying it for the duration of the policy period. I pay $80 per month and I have only been able to claim for $120 during policy period. My dog had a $1400 dental operation. I got $21 back. Dental is a general exclusion apparently. Super unhappy!

Claim DateSeptember 2020
Karin

KarinSydney, NSW

Claim stuff don’t read full consult notes and then ask for more evidence when it is already in the consult notes.

My dog is on multiple medication. The vet consult notes that discussed these medications is six pages long. On a number of occasions when I submit a pharmacy receipt for medications along with the vet consult notes I get contacted asking for evidence from my vet. It’s all there if the claim staff would only read the notes properly. I it’s incredibly frustrating, delays payment And there is nowhere on the cleaning website where I can write a note directing them to which page of the Vet notes discusses the medications.

Claim DateJuly 2020

Hi Karin,
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused and I would appreciate the opportunity to look into your experience further. I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.
Jessica

Going with RPI was the biggest mistake I ever made for my pet care!

Policy is of next to no value. Discussions leading up to me taking out the policy with RPI were total nonsense! They've not covered what I needed & what I was supposed to be covered for and I pay well in excess of $100 per month for one pet. Pet insurance (with this provider anyway) is totally not worth it - total scam!

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateSeptember 2018

Hi Natasha,
I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the service that you have received. I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

Kimberley W.

Kimberley W.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Always a terrible service

Terrible communications between people I speak to, messed around so many times. If my dog was younger I’d change insurers but they started stuffing me around with claims 3 years ago when he was already getting too old to change. After being with them and paying a hefty premium for 7 years!

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
emma6910

emma6910SYDNEY

Terrible company, complete rip off.

I paid this company $90/month to insure my dog for about two years. During that time she had various minor incidents, as dogs do. They rejected all my claims but one very small claim for a eye ulcer. I realised that I am getting nothing from them at all. So I contacted them to try and cancel and they told me I am obligated to pay them till the end of the claim period. So because they gave me like $200 in a 2 year period (during which time I have paid them like $2000) I now have to pay them another $300 for the privilege of being allowed to cancel. I wonder how things like this can be legal.

Adam M.

Adam M.Sydney, NSW

Garbage, doing everything possible to avoid claims! avoid!

Horrible first experience with a pet insurance company.
detailing false information regarding a claim, advising a condition was pre existing when it clearly wasn't, won't respond to emails and now they will take 10-15 days to get back to be involving a review, ONLY, only after I pushed back many times, what an absolute joke.
REAL will be paying my claim, I will be pushing with the ombudsman and further, so they better get back to me asap, will never go back.

Claim DateDecember 2019
Anna

AnnaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible experience. Had to lodge a complaint with the ombudsman due to non payment

The claim was lodged early December and have had to go through stress to even get a response. So disgusting ! Customer service were rude and I received 7 different responses to my request. Poor customer service

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim DateNovember 2019

CaseyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Expensive and hard to claim.

Claim DateOctober 2019
Casey

I see replies on socially viewable sites receive a same day response. I am still waiting for replies to my emails from last week!

John

JohnSouth East Queensland, QLD

like all things there is only one winner

over the years it went from 66 to a 110 not good ? i could understand that if a lot of claims were made but i think based on my policy i cannot see it to be of value

Claim DateSeptember 2019

Linda_Clay

Linda_ClaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Avoid them

This insurance company is a rip off....avoid them at all costs. We recently cancelled our policy due to leaving the country, but as we had a small claim in the last 6 months we have to pay for the remainder of the insurance period ie. 6 more months. Works out at double the rebate we got back on our claim. What a con! Expensive!

Don’t pay claims

Have been with them for about four years. Pay premiums fortnightly - about $75 per fortnight for two small dogs. Lodged a claim for a vet bill of $80 and it was refused because the vet notes stated that my dog MAY have scratched her eye after being groomed two days before. Claim refused due to complications following grooming. A) may or may not have been complication following grooming and B) why should it matter. It could have been caused by windy weather too, which had been experiencing around the same time. Been paying them about $75 per fortnight, and this vet bill was for $80.

Claim DateSeptember 2019

Hi David,
Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to look into this. Your feedback has been passed on for coaching purposes.

Maria

MariaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Would never recommend Real Pet Insurance to anyone

When I joined Real Pet Insurance I specifically stated i wanted my German Shepherd to be covered for Pregnancy. 18 month later when i put in a claim i was told my pet is not nor was she ever covered for pregnancy, the customer service was absolutely terrible from them with no solution and no help and when i told them i wanted to cancel my policy, they simply answered yes we can do that today.

Number of Pets0 pets
Claim DateAugust 2019

Hi Maria,
We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. I have sent you a private message in regards to this.

Mike T

Mike TSouth East Queensland, QLD

I pay for years, then you don't seem to want me to claim!!

I have paid a lot of money over a period of about 11 years, to insure my pet. I wanted to claim for the very first time ( an amount of about $160, not much!), and the process is frustrating, full of obstacles, and close to impossible to navigate. Not much help from your team, I was tempted to just give up, but persevered on principle.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time3+ months

Hi Mike,
I am sorry to hear about your recent claims experience. I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you and I have sent you a private message requesting some additional information.

poor cover

this policy is terrible value, doesn't cover for anxiety disorder which Realpet state is a behavioural problem - which it is NOT. I've been paying for 8 years and I will cancel as soon as I can - which is not until the end of my year. also can't cancel when I want to!! misleading.

Hi Kate,
I am sorry to hear about your claim experience and I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you. I have sent a private message requesting some additional information to assist with this.

Hi Kate,
I understand that a senior team member has been in touch with you today and in recognition for your loyalty, an agreement has been reached and your concerns have now been addressed.

Kate
Kate

yes, thank you Sharon, I have been very happy with the agreement and especially with the recognition that I have actually been paying since 2011. I appreciate the time taken today, it is just s ahem that the Real Pet policies require that! Kate

Not very professional

It took a month and a half after the claim , been with real for 3 years. Kept on asking for more information all the time . The people on the phone are rude

Claim DateJuly 2019

Hi Darren,
Thanks,

Darren
Darren

Ok

Poor coverage

Barely anything covered, and loopholes were used to minimise payout amount. Very poor service, coverage and value for the $1500-1800/yr I pay. I have an 80% coverage policy, and after paying over $2000 for an operation was reimbursed $400...less than 30% actual coverage. Definitely advise to look elsewhere.

Claim DateApril 2019
Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Policy is not as good as it looks

I find that you are very restrictive on some Vet expenses
where my dog has anxiety issues but max i get back is $50 for whole year considering i am payng approx 600-700 per year i find it very unfair

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Claim DateMay 2019

SimoneGippsland, VIC

Not worth having.

I don’t think my policy is good value. Yes, easy to set up. When claim was lodged it took a few days, yet the resolve took 10 days as I didn’t know when resolved till I received response in the mail, yet a text was sent about an hour after submitting. I have been with real for 2 years.

Claim MadeNo
Simone

I am unable to send my policy details due to in between moves and policy details are in storage. My dogs details is his name is Levi and is a miniture Daschund.

Hi Simone,
Thank you for your reply. I have sent you a private message requesting some additional information so I can assist you.
Tess

Suzanne m

Suzanne mGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Frustrated

I have had pet insurance for 6 years with very few claims. Not sure how an ear problem is pre existing as a new born pup and now I find out that when I have claimed flea treatment on the day of renewal , the renewal start at 11.59pm so not claimable. Language is also a problem. Had to repeat myself over and over as they didn’t understand. Far too many exceptions and not enough common sense and certainly not enough product knowledge. Have to be called back every time

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Pre-existing ear infection of doom