Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (2), 2-4 weeks (1), 1-2 months (1) and 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (6) · No (1)

AdrienneSydney, NSW

Will Be Looking Elsewhere For My Next Dog

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Policy No: [Number Removed]

Insurance policy is fantastic

Policy is great value however the time for the processing of claim is convenient and stress free however there should be a fixed price as I am on a fixed budget

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateOctober 2020

Long & drawn out

It took 2 & 1/2 months to resolve my claim & had to contact real insurance via phone - on an awful patchy line - multiple times. I had to do all the chasing up. Will be switching to a different company when this policy runs out.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Pet Insurance

Find out how Real Pet Insurance compares to other Pet Insurance

Camz

CamzHunter Region, NSW

Claim nightmare

Claim DateAugust 2020

Hi Camz,
I am sorry to hear of your recent claims experience and we would appreciate the opportunity to look into this further for you. I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

Hi Cam,
I am pleased to hear that your claim has been finalised and we appreciate you providing us with the opportunity to look into your experience.

Jaye

JayeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Online claiming not very user friendly

My 1st online claim took over 30 minutes to set up & enter/upload required details. A lot more could be changed to make it more user friendly. Including allowing for policy number variances. Since there seems to be a few different ways I’ve seen it used in their correspondence. Uploading documents seemed quite unclear & clunky to use. Frustrating, I hope some improvements can be made to stop others going through the same frustration.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJune 2020
Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Should of stayed where I was

Our previous pet insurance company was 100% better to deal with, we only transferred to real as we set our life insurances up with them, think I’m heading back to old company, claim took too long and alot of emails back and forth, makes us wonder if we look around for another insurer for life etc

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMarch 2020

Hi Leigh,
I am sorry to hear of your recent claims experience and we would appreciate the opportunity to look into your experience further. I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

Maureen

MaureenSydney, NSW

Ordinary.

At this stage after spending $2000. On Vet. bills, little help having our dog insured.
Policy of little value. Easy to set up of course.
Been with company a couple of years.
Recent claim would have been easy for you to resolve. 0,0,0,0,0,0,0, easy to arrive at.
Sorry, but insurance company’s are a pain in the clacker. A bit like using an ash tray on a motorbike.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Pet Insurance - New Policy

I am not sure how long I have had pet insurance, perhaps over ten years. I currently have my Cocker Spaniel, Lucy insured with Real Pet Insurance. Having acquired Georgie in May 2018, I wanted a policy to cover her also. During the process of establishing the policy I was asked if Georgie had any pre-existing medical conditions. I mentioned that she had recently had an ear infection which had been effectively treated; following which I was told this new policy would not provide cover for ear infections. If it was a serious ongoing medical condition I could understand it, but ear infections?

Insurance claim madeNo
jascreece

jascreecesunshine coast

I wouldn't recommend getting locked in

Insurance claim madeYes
Benedict G.Real Insurance

Hi there, in most cases, a premium increase is the result of underwriting changes. If you would like to send us your policy details via a private message we can arrange for a Service Manager to get in touch with you to clarify this matter.

Pet Insurance

Find out how Real Pet Insurance compares to other Pet Insurance

Rach

RachSouth East Queensland, QLD

They refuse to pay out a claim made for Lupus on my dog

Number of Pets2 pets
Greenstone F.Real Insurance
Sulli

SulliLaunceston

Extremely hard to claim

The policy was extremely easy to set up. I started my pet unsure two days after getting our 12 week old puppy I thought I was doing the right thing and when taking my puppy to the vet for her 2nd vaccination I had the bet write up a full health record. The second visit to the vet was her third vaccine and desexing. When we went to claim for an Emergency at a different clinic, I had to get another full veterinary history! My vet wouldn't do any more for us because it had nothing to do with them and we were left paying out insurance that we could claim on.

Insurance claim madeYes

Soooo frustrating!!!

I just had my claim refused by real pet insurance when my staffy got an insect bite that turned into a cyst inside his ear they declined the claim because he had mites years ago and an insect bite is classed as a skin disorder so a pre existing condition!!! I then asked if he got bitten by a paralysis tick or a cut or wound on the skin would I be covered I currently have the highest cover policy and they said no as it is all skin related like why am I even insured then have cancelled this policy they are money hungry frauds!!
Nothing at all
Everything

Chezaz

ChezazCANBERRA

Administration nightmare

I have been with Real for one year and have had both of my dogs insured with them.
Every time I make a claim with them there are numerous forms to be completed, and plenty of rules to slow the payment process.

Claims must be submitted within 2 weeks.
Claims must be accompanies with a full history from all vets every time there is a claim; etc

I am just about to switch as I am tired of having to fight every time I make a claim. The process should be simple.
easy to sign up
too many limitations and rules

Kevasked

Real Pet Insurance

No pet insurance has great reviews but yours is the worst . Are you happy about this ? What are you doing to win back the customers you have lost due to your unreal actions . Are you incompertant or just uncareing ? Why and how are you still in business selling this useless insurance policy?
I pray you go down very soon and stop the Hurt and heart ache you cause the most needy in society

Benedict G.Real Insurance

Hi there, we have responded to your original post and have asked for you to provide us with your policy and contact number so we can contact you to assist you with your claim.

Kev

Once again this just shows how disconnected you are with your customer base . This is NOT an answer to my question . I have supplied you with the details you are asking for but it didnt help me or my Pet . I no longer have a policy with you and will NEVER again . You have allready KILLED my beloved pet . I am asking this to help others make an informed decision and your uncareing responce should be enough for most ?

Helen

Helenasked

Real Pet Insurance

please send me your email as I need to email a clients history to you.

Greenstone F.Real Insurance

Hi Helen, thanks for your enquiry. Please email real@petsure.com.au, thank you.

Gaz

Gazasked

Real Pet Insurance

Can a supervisor contact me,if you can?

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Hi, Can you please private message me your policy details here: www.facebook.com/RSPCAPetInsurance and I can arrange for a Service Manager to contact you. Thank you

Get an answer from our members and Real Insurance representatives

Accidental Injury CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverOptional ExtraNot IncludedNot Included
Tick Paralysis$1,200$1,000Included
Emergency Boarding Fees$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$500
Lifetime Cover IncludedIncludedIncluded
Cooling Off Period30 Days30 Days30 Days
Consultation Fees$300$300$300
Cruciate Ligament Conditions$2,600$2,600Included
Waiting Period for Illness 30 Days30 Days30 Days
Condition Limit$2,000 per condition (Classic Accident & Illness Cover only)
Compare all 3 Real Pet Insurance