Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (3), 1-2 weeks (4), 2-4 weeks (3) and 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (11) · No (1)

Really Happy with Real Pet Insurance

No problems with the policy, once all the documentation was set up with Real, no problems with all the claims we've been making. The reimbursement are usually made fairly quickly depending on how quick the Vet submits the claim.

Claim DateOctober 2020

Easy claim, quick payment

Online claim process was straightforward and payment was received in a few days. Only thing that was confusing was requirement for vet notes on the online portal but my vet would not release them to me - only direct to insurer.

Claim DateSeptember 2020
Glenn

GlennSydney, NSW

Peace of Mind in case an accident occurred

We have had the Pet Insurance from outset for our dog, and has always been a good relationship overall.
Some of the paperwork required was cumbersome to collect, but the Vets made this easy to collect and submit quickly.

Claim DateSeptember 2020

Ketan

KetanPerth, WA

Quick service

Policy is ok in terms of value but my premium has gone up a fair bit which has me worried because my dog is still only 3 years old.
My vet lodged my claim and was quickly auctioned do that's a plus.
Been with Real for over 3 years now.

Chris

ChrisPERTH

pet insurance costs

Insurance for two pets is quite expensive. Yes I have had to make claims but they are only small. The amount I pay in Pet Insurance is very expensive. Probably would look around before going ahead with Real again.

Number of Pets-2 pets

Advance

No, real insurance is more expensive compares to others. We made claim for our dog Kya which was deny And one wasnt paid. As the vet diagnose herv with the wrong was diagnoses. And we weren' t very happy either.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateFebruary 2017
Claim ApprovedNo

Lalline

LallinePerth, WA

Claiming for having my dog put down

I think my policy was good. I do think thou that if I do get another dog I will be going with RSPCA as their price is a little cheaper than you and you get up $20,000. But this is nothing against you I have been with you for a long time. And I thank you

Number of Pets0 pets
Claim DateMay 2020

Hi Lalline,
I am sorry to hear of the passing of your pet and wish to extend my sympathy to you and your family. I am pleased to hear that we were able to assist in providing support for you and your pet, when needed.
Jessica

plumbossPerth, WA

Easy Claim Pet Insurance

Hi Plumboss,
I'm really to sorry to hear of your loss and humbled that we have been able to assist in difficult times. We really appreciate you sharing your experience with us and wish you and your family all the best.
Alisa

Paulrussel

PaulrusselPeel, WA

it makes pt ownership a bit easier

each time my cats have had injuries the claims have been successfuly repaid in a reasonable time frame. Our oldest cat Mc cavity is now 10 years old an d we have had im covered from a kitten

Number of Pets2 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Hi Paulrussel,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it. We are pleased to hear that we have been able to assist with your claim and provide you with peace of mind, knowing your cat is covered.
Alisa

Patricia

PatriciaNorth Queensland, QLD

Great. It helps us make a good choice for our loved one, Reebok.

I believe the cover was good value. As Reebok gets older she needs more medication. We have been with Real for 10 years and are now seeing the real value of having pet insurance. Reebok has just turned 14.

Claim DateDecember 2019
Tyson

TysonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great policy. Too many phone calls.

Policy is great and the best I could find however while I was exploring other options and doing some homework I received 4 phone calls in 12 hours asking me to complete the sign up process. Didn’t need or want 1.

Denise

DenisePilbara, WA

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just set up insurance for our dog and the sales woman was very helpful. I had already done online comparisons but she pointed out the deductible which made me choose your company over the one I was originally going to go with.

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Frustrating and tiresome to deal with no common sense

Been insured since dog was born made first claim absolute nightmare to get paid even more painful to cancel your policy . Waste of money would not recommend. Policy now cancelled

Hi Carol,
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you and I have sent you a private message requesting some additional information.
Jessica

Ray

RayHunter Region, NSW

Top cover for my elderly dog.

I have now insured three dogs with Real and have never had problems claiming. The premium for my Twelve year old Cavalier has jumped substantially since she developed a chronic illness but I still get 80% of my costs back.

Number of Pets2 pets
Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Premiums too expensive, but cover necessary!

The policy premiums are way above insuring say, home/contents. Policy was easy to set up. Have made 2 claims in 2 months, was impressed with the speed of processing my claims, plus the amount reimbursed.
Have been with Real Pet insurance several years. Most policies are underwritten by the same provider!(Hollard)

Claim DateMay 2019

Stephen

StephenPerth, WA

New Policy Holder

Policy was easy to set up - and overall best value compared to some other insurers that I had looked at. I have not claimed yet and have just started my new policy.

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for your kind review. It is pleasing to hear that when comparing you found our policy best value overall. Welcome to the Real Insurance family.
Tess

Cherylee

Cherylee

Good value excellent service

Yes it was loved being in it when I was. Due to circumstances had to cancel it which I was sad about would like to join again at some piont

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Never until commencement of new policy. Happy with offer and have started pet insurance policy for my fur baby which is to replace another one

Insurance claim madeNo

juhjuh

juhjuhGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Happy with my new pet insurance

Just the peace of mind knowing my furry friend is covered, am very happy with my decision to take out real pet insurance

Insurance claim madeNo

Steve

Steve

Worth the effort in the end

Having pet insurance is a must if you take the time once you have set it up it is good value.
Set up is easy . What you next is all and every vet visit
ALL OF IT. owner ship paper don't miss anything load it onto your pet portal so it's all there. It is what is needed
To make a claim
Cause when the day come and you don't, it feels like a
Struggle so was worth it in the end .
The people on the phone are pretty nice always asked after my dog . But it became frustrating when you dealt with a different person all the time.

Insurance claim madeYes

Kevasked

Real Pet Insurance

No pet insurance has great reviews but yours is the worst . Are you happy about this ? What are you doing to win back the customers you have lost due to your unreal actions . Are you incompertant or just uncareing ? Why and how are you still in business selling this useless insurance policy?
I pray you go down very soon and stop the Hurt and heart ache you cause the most needy in society

Benedict G.Real Insurance

Hi there, we have responded to your original post and have asked for you to provide us with your policy and contact number so we can contact you to assist you with your claim.

Kev

Once again this just shows how disconnected you are with your customer base . This is NOT an answer to my question . I have supplied you with the details you are asking for but it didnt help me or my Pet . I no longer have a policy with you and will NEVER again . You have allready KILLED my beloved pet . I am asking this to help others make an informed decision and your uncareing responce should be enough for most ?

Helen

Helenasked

Real Pet Insurance

please send me your email as I need to email a clients history to you.

Greenstone F.Real Insurance

Hi Helen, thanks for your enquiry. Please email real@petsure.com.au, thank you.

Gaz

Gazasked

Real Pet Insurance

Can a supervisor contact me,if you can?

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Hi, Can you please private message me your policy details here: www.facebook.com/RSPCAPetInsurance and I can arrange for a Service Manager to contact you. Thank you

Get an answer from our members and Real Insurance representatives

Accidental Injury CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverOptional ExtraNot IncludedNot Included
Tick Paralysis$1,200$1,000Included
Emergency Boarding Fees$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$500
Lifetime Cover IncludedIncludedIncluded
Cooling Off Period30 Days30 Days30 Days
Consultation Fees$300$300$300
Cruciate Ligament Conditions$2,600$2,600Included
Waiting Period for Illness 30 Days30 Days30 Days
Condition Limit$2,000 per condition (Classic Accident & Illness Cover only)
Compare all 3 Real Pet Insurance