Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (55), 1-2 weeks (34), 2-4 weeks (6), 1-2 months (1) and 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (95) · No (2)

SuzanneSydney, NSW

Excellent! Claims made easy!

I’ve been with Real Pet Insurance for approx 8 yrs now. I’ve never had any issues with a claim and they make the process easy and quick with refunds within a few days of the claims being submitted. Highly recommended!

Claim DateJanuary 2021
Suzanne

Real insurance always makes difficult situations with our pet family members so much easier. I have always highly recommended Real Insurance to many friends.

Hi Suzanne,
Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that we have been able to assist you and your pets in times of need. Thanks again for your kind words.
Kind regards,
Alisa

Xuehua

XuehuaSydney, NSW

Claim

Yes it covered 75-80% of the money.
The insurance was easy to set up.
It took less than a week to resolve my claim.
I joined Real Insurance for more than one year.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim DateJanuary 2021

JUDITH HALL

JUDITH HALLAustralian Capital Territory

So glad we have this.

We have had Real Insurance for our staffie since he was 10 months old. He is now 10 and a half. In this time he has had cruciate surgery and a few other minor things. Recently he slipped a disk and in the end had to have spinal surgery. I am so happy that we had the insurance to cover this. Claims were paid quickly and it is so good that the claim is sent straight from the vet, no paperwork to complete. Highly recommend it.

Lorraine P

Lorraine PSouth East Queensland, QLD

No hassle

I took out Pet Insurance for my dog 6 years ago and to date have never had an issue with a claim. Online claims service makes it so much easier.

Claim DateNovember 2020
Desmond

DesmondGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Just joined so far seems Ok

The Policy seems good value and just joined up my Dog Ben the account was easy to set up and is compatable with others and I have been with Real Insuranced now for many years and very happy with their policies

hmj

hmj

This great

Very quick to sign up and it was exactly what l needed for my pet for future use for any medical problems etc that may occur. Explained quite clearly for me

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Customer RelationsReal Insurance

So streamlined and quick - was amazed at the turn around once a claim had been submitted!

We have accident only cover, which we questioned prior to needing it, if it was worthwhile - 2 weeks later our 2yo Shepard broke his leg playing! He needed extensive orthopaedic surgery, in-hospital care and rehab. Claim processed within 7 business days! Absolutely worth every cent we’ve paid into our cover.

Claim DateOctober 2020
OMER S

OMER SSydney, NSW

Highly recommended Real Pet Insurance to anyone who loves their pets and wants to ensure they get the best care possible

Real insurance has been an absolute blessing for us over the last 6 years. We have had pet insurance since our pug was 8 weeks old (now 6yrs old) and it has been worth every single cent. Unfortunately he has had a number of costly medical issue and it’s been so comforting to know he could get the best treatment without having to worry about the cost. Real Insurance has been a pleasure to deal with on every occasion and has always been very prompt in paying claims and now offering Gap only I only pay the gap in the bill.. so easy and convenient! I highly recommend Real Insurance to anyone looking for peace of mind and a friendly reliable company who care about our fur babies!

Simone

SimoneGippsland, VIC

I'm glad that I was able to claim on insurance for my pet's vet treatment.

No, not a good policy for value as unable to insure for dental which I feel is a very important part of pets health, as peridontal is vital to maintaining the best health for your pet, and pets deterioration in health is primarily due to dental, and therefore, as I have a premium policy, I feel that dental should be included. Myself I have private health cover and dental is covered as it is important, so why not the pets. My pet has his teeth cleaned but I am out of pocket for this because REAL do not cover it. And yes, I am a responsible pet owner.
yes easy to set up, .
Good time frame for resolving claim
pet insured for 2 years

Jasmine

JasmineSydney, NSW

Best decision ever

Our dog is two years old and was diagnosed with cataracts, which is unusual because he is so young. To us he is much more than just a dog, he’s family. We decided we want to give him the best life possible and get him surgery to fix his eyes and restore his vision. He spent three days with the amazing team at SASH vets. Real pet insurance covered 80% of his surgery, and were super quick to approve it (no hassles). I would also like to add that we didn’t have to pay the money outright as real pet insurance paid the vets directly, saving us having to fork out $8k and then claim the money back. We are so grateful for real pet insurance. Could not recommend them enough!

Susan Webster

Susan WebsterSydney, NSW

Wouldn't be without my pet insurance

So good, I'm very happy with my pet insurance, I have it since we bought our dog as a puppy for 7 years. wouldn't be with out it, So easy to claim , my vet sends my claim through for me and you get your money back very quick.

Carole R

Carole RGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Pet insurance claim

I’m really happy with my pet insurance through Real Insurance! The process time was quick which is great. I feel that my policy is good value! I have had this policy for 3 years and have always had good service.

Prompt reinbursment

Was impressed at the prompt return after submitting invoice . Recieved a great amount back. Have recommended this insurance to others. We are glad we took out this insurance as it has been worth it .

Virginia

VirginiaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Reliable and helpful, literally a life saver for our dogs.

RPI has been reliable and literally a life saver for 3 of our dogs over the last 9 years. Claims are easy to submit and are processed quickly, call centre staff are really helpful on the phone when needed. We are relieved that we can tell our vet to apply whatever tests and treatments are needed to help our beloved dogs get back to full health, knowing we are covered for up to 80% of the costs. We have had some scary close calls and thankfully this insurance has helped us through.

Number of Pets3 pets
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Caroline

CarolineSydney Surrounds, NSW

Excellent Pet Insurance!!!

Very easy to set up today, very informative consultant, I have been with Real for over 10yrs with another form of Policy so I am very happy insuring my new Pet with Real Insurance.

Karen

KarenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

No fuss, no questions easy claim

Was very happy!
The claim was easy, no stress and payment was promptly transferred into my account. During these times it takes the worry out as it’s stressful dealing with a sick animal. Thank you for your great customer care

Ruby V

Ruby VLismore, New South Wales

Easy to apply for, quick and cheap

I've only just ordered it today so there's not much else I can say. I applied for home and contents insurance at the same time 5 more words to get to 30.

Kathryn

KathrynWimmera, VIC

This has been a great help!

Claims lodged don’t take very long to resolve at all. It was easy to set up and is excellent value. I have been with Real Pet Insurance for over 3 years.

Claim DateJuly 2020

Outstanding customer service

Best value I’ve seen, any claims (no matter big or small) were dealt with and paid within 2-3 business days, outstanding customer service and will be using real insurance for a long time to come

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim DateAugust 2020
Happy Gordon customer

Happy Gordon customerGordon 2906, ACT

Fuss free pet insurance claim

I have had Real pet insurance for my dog for 11 years. I have only (luckily) had to claim twice. Each time the whole process was very easily done online & I received my refund extremely fast. I believe now they also have a gap only claim method, which is even better. Very happy customer.

Claim DateJuly 2020