4Rinnai HOTFLO

Rinnai HOTFLO Questions & Answers

jnu123
jnu123 · HOTFLO 10 Instantaneous

This HWS is described as Instantaneous unit, while other Rinnai HWS is 'Continuous Flow Hot Water', what is the difference between Instantaneous and Continuous Flow Rinnai HWS?

Rinnai   DM

Hi jun123, Thanks for the question, we would recommend contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3).

John
John

Wish I could help but we have been waiting for Rinnai to replace our hws under warranty for about 4 months.

Rinnai   DM

Hi John, We have sent a private message to discuss the matter further.

jnu123
jnu123 · HOTFLO 10 Instantaneous

All 1 star bad reviews, can anyone confirm if this unit has been made in Japan or other countries?

I remember all other Rinnai Continuous Flow HWS including builder series B16/B20/B26 are made in Japan.

Tomo
Tomo

No idea where it is made but it broke 14 months after I had it installed so regardless of manufacture location, it was faulty

Polly · HOTFLO 10 Instantaneous

Could anyone please let me know where the pilot light is on this system. Have no hot water and figure this may be the problem. Have had nothing but problems with this system.

Rinnai   DM

Hi Polly, Thanks for the question.

The Hotflo 10 burner lights automatically when the hot water tap is opened, and goes out when the hot water tap is closed. This unit does not have a pilot light.

We would recommend either contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3). Alternatively, book a service call using the following link:

Regards,

Mel
Mel · HOTFLO

Why do we have hardly any hot water pressure since installing the Rinnai hotflo

Rinnai   DM

Hi Mel, Thanks for the question, we would recommend contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3).

Sharon G.
Sharon G. · HOTFLO

How often should I release the pressure valve on my unit and for how long should it be released

Rinnai   DM

Hi Sharon G. The user should operate the easing gear of the ECV and PTR valve (if fitted) every 6 months as described under
“Safety Devices” on page 6 of the Owner's Manual.

karen t.
karen t. · HOTFLO 10 Instantaneous

Can you please confirm if this system is comparable with natural and LPG gas
Thankyou Karen

Rinnai   DM

Hi karen t. Thanks for the question, we would recommend contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3).

William R.
William R. · HOTFLO

what direction do i turn the arrow on the tempering valve for more heat

Rinnai   DM

Hi William R, Thanks for the question, we would recommend contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3).

Leonie M.
Leonie M. · HOTFLO

After reading these reviews I will not purchase this product

Rinnai   DM

Dear Leonie M, What product/model were you looking at purchasing?

Den · HOTFLO Electric Storage

I Have Model RIN250E36
S/N 13040820217H
Hot water Flows from the pressure relief valve continuously. is there a way to remedy this?

Tony F.
Tony F.

Open and shut it a number of times in case there’s a bit of foreign material on the seal. You should open and close it a number of times every six months. Other than that it may need replacement. Hope this helps.

Den

Thanks. Tony, will give it a try.

Jacqui R.
Jacqui R.

hi - I have the same problem as above. Stupid question but do I switch the unit off to do this or do it whilst it is on? (mine is a hotflo 135 (gas) if that makes any difference). many thanks

Rinnai   DM

Hi Den, Thanks for the question.
It may need releasing manually sometimes a bit of gunk can get caught under the valve. If it is an older valve it may need replacing.

Please contact our service team on 1300 555 545 for booking or alternatively you may book online following the link provided; external link

mhanna65
mhanna65 · HOTFLO

which Heater element used in Rinnai 50L Electric Hot Water Heater

Rinnai   DM

Hi mhanna65, we would recommend speaking to our technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3,

Axel.S.
Axel.S. · HOTFLO 10 Instantaneous

We have no issue with hot water when it fires up!! Our issue is we have to remove front cover and light up with a lighter...battery ok and sparks but wont fire up without using the lighter.

Rinnai   DM

Hi Axel,S, thanks for the question. We would recommend talking to our technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3.

Polly

Could you please tell me where the pilot light is? Where you fired it up? I can't find it.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Rinnai   DM

Hi Polly, Thanks for the question.

Regards,

Jay · HOTFLO Electric Storage

Hi
Rennai Hotflow Hot water system was installed by a plumber in May 2013. It started dripping slowly a few months ago and now increased flowing continuously from top of the cylinder! I read that Cylinder has 10 year warranty/ 7 year labour and could you please advise me what is the next step! Thanks

Rinnai   DM

Hi Jay, thanks for the question. Booking a service call so we can diagnose the issue with the unit would be the next step.

You can book the service call online here and you will be contacted by the technician to book an appointment:

external link

The current warranty for the Hotflo unit is 7 or 10 years depending on the size of the tank and 3 years labour warranty. The warranty applicable for your unit will depend on the model number and date of manufacture and can be confirmed in the warranty booklet supplied with the heater or through our service line on 1300 555 545.

Thanks, it's model is HFE315 ?SSL? and S/N is EHF31500468
Could you please confirm if cylinder warranty is covered!

Hi
Yesterday I contacted 'Rams' plumbing Toowoomba(installer) and was advised to contact Rinnai with model/ Serial # (model is HFE315 ?SSL? and S/N is EHF31500468)
If you could confirm what is next step is? What I want is not calling a plumber/ technician who charges couple hundred dollars and and say 'you have to replace' the unit!
So appreciate very much if this unit (model is HFE315 ?SSL? and S/N is EHF31500468 )which was installed in May 2013 is covered!

Best regards
Jayantha

Rinnai   DM

Hi Jay, Please contact our technical help team on 1300 555 545, option 3 to determine the correct warranty for this unit. The can have the service team book a service call which would be required to determine if warranty is applicable.

Jay

Hi, It was really misleading that you confirmed that 315 litre unit is covered under 10 year warranty and now you are saying that this model has only 5 year warranty? , also we regret that you also have advised local agent ( who came to do 'unit inspection warranty check' ) to charge us the service cost; but when I explained to 'plumber' what I said to you and how it happened, then he has contacted Rinnai; Now Rinnai has agreed to cover that cost of service! BUT the question is it I was informed that unit is not covered under warranty , I could have simply called plumber and got it replaced last week without any hassle! I preferred/ prefer 'Rinnai' as it is excellent' Japanese technology ! BUT unfortunately it lasted only 5 years , i.e. around 300$ just for unit> which we could have bought hot water easily from elsewhere when added the electricity cost! ''<<< Is it a fair/ justice resolution from Rinnai>>""" I am not a happy customer even though I have decided to go with Rinnai (due to Japanese technology) 315 Hotflow again to replace the faulty/ failed/ cracked unit!!!

Jay

See below what Rinnai sent to plumber!
Afternoon,

Unfortunately l actually didn’t pick this up but FSU has declined this as it is a 7 year old unit and warranty is only for 5 years so this job is chargeable to the customer.

[Name Removed]
FSL Support

Rinnai Australia -[Address Removed]
Phone: [Number Removed]| Fax:
rinnai.com.au

Jay

Then after taking plumber> "1st Care Invoice – Work Order No. WO00121589' says '0$' payable
Above is bit of history!

Rinnai   DM

Hi Jay, We have sent a private message to discuss the matter further.

Jay

Thanks I replied to that; sad thing is that we has solar electric hot water system which failed in 6 years in 2013 and went for a better Japanese Rinnai product to replace BUT it failed in 7 years .. this goes on... just costing money: I believe if any hot water system which doesn't last at least 10+ years is NOT acceptable!

Jay

Hi, I sent two email yesterday and last Friday with title 'Rinnai Enquiry Updated- thanks and last Q! -URGENT! Please!" I have explained in detail our redicament here! Could you please kindly pay attention to this warranty related issue of the replacement unit you are giving us! THNX

Jay

Hi, I sent another email this morning fro a fairer solution titled 'FW: Rinnai Enquiry Updated- thanks and last Q! -URGENT! Please! buying warranty!' please reply to us

it is leaking so badly!

Jay

URGENT! >I sent another reminder email ('Rinnai Enquiry Updated- thanks and last Q! -URGENT! Please discount..) Last Thursday after [Name Removed] (much appreciate her help here) relied that she has forwarded to management; Appreciate if you could give us an acceptable solution today/ tomorrow at least we can get system installed this week!hot water system is leaking very badly and is now rust contaminated water coming from it! It is a predicament for us ; we are suffering for more than 4 weeks! we do not blame for your admin./ other errors and we were almost going to get installed 'Rinnai' through Rinnai Agent in Toowoomba, then everything changed as per ' service call' charge 'payable by us' issue! then this been dragging since then.. we suffer!

Please call me/give us a solution whatever it is would be your resolution, then we an make a decision… I will send you all incident/ history listed too to [Name Removed]! < URGENT

Jay

VERY URGENT > On Monday after above message I got email from above rep promising to follow up with management for a solution and come back to us same day! still waiting; our water is heavily contaminated now; looks like whatever these incidents/ issues/ failures/ being misled/ misguided trapped into a real predicament and whole pipeline to be drained/ cleaned to be free from rusted debris/ taste from contaminations from cracked rusted hotwater system! please come back to us URGENTLY as we can't wait any longer.. > we are suffering and... it is more than 4 weeks .. it is our health too! URGENT

Hi, Subject :' Rinnai Enquiry Updated- thanks and last Q! - Accept the offer' >
Could you please advise if unit been despatched to us and invoice been sent so that we get organise installation early next week! "

Jay

URGENT >>>Hi, Appreciate if you could please advise on above"if unit been despatched to us and invoice been sent so that we get organise installation <<< URGENT

Jay

Urgent> Could you come back to us> we are suffering< thanks URGENT

Jay

I got the response, thanks

Hi,
I settled invoiced amount by calling FirstCare a little while ago, could you please make arrangements to send the unit today or soonest! Thanks!

Jay

URGENT >>> Hi, If could you update us on above, please! we do not have hot water for more than 5 weeks it is leaking badly and it is a real mess around the hot water unit! and contaminations!
5 + weeks of suffering for a very little gain we got through all this dragging case because we did not want to tarnish 'Rinnai' brand name!
Sorry to say that very disappointed over this now!

Jay

URGENT >>>> Hi, after getting an email response from you last Friday from a customer rep who is said to follow the status of order, I sent an email this morning (also called andcall just dropped after 25 mins while waiting?) to see when we get the unit delivered!!!
At least we want to have hot shower back this week after % + weeks so could you follow this and call/ email/ sms me the tracking details!
>>>> CAN"T WAIT anymore we have 3 people complaining and suffering! this is very unfair! if not we have to find alternatives which will be a long lengthy process to ..hope you understand this please! fast loosing interest of this stressful crazy issue!!!

Jay

URGENT >> Sorry to say that it's repeated admin errors from Rinnai and still waiting for unit to arrive! this coming to 6th week of suffering / mess for us! I thought at least we can get it installed this afternoon! BUT... ? it is already midday!
I think we have to resort to 'consumer affairs/ other for justice here' Get one of Rinnai higher level mangers to call me and will explain! << URGENT

Jan J · HOTFLO Electric Storage

I purchased a Rinnai 125 HOTFLO water heater less than 18 months ago and had it installed by a licensed plumber. Yesterday I noticed it is seeping water out of the cylinder bottom circumference seam and causing that seam and small nut to begin to rust. I have called Rinnai today and had to wait so long, then spoke to a technician, who said this definitely should not be happening, and the cylinder is still under warranty. He re-directed me back to the "bookings" switch, but I never got answered. I request that I am called back urgently, before this problem gets any worse. I had my previous water heater in the same spot for 15 years without anything like this happening. From above reviews it seems like this system has problems. Either way, I want Rinnai to fix this problem. It is definitely a product fault.

Rinnai   DM

Hi Jan J, Thanks for the question, you can make a booking through the Rinnai website here:

external link

Alternatively if you can send us a private message with your contact details we can have one of the team contact you.

Dear Rinnai,
I have received the email and when I click on to the website https: the form does not eventuate, the page just continues to talk about conditions and costs. So I have then tried to get the form on CONTACT. This gives me the form, but when I try to enter my NAME etc. the form disappears! What is going on ? Please contact me again through my email and I will give my private phone number so your staff can contact me personally.

Rinnai   DM

Hi Jan, can you please send a private message with your contact details as we do not have your email address.

None
None · HOTFLO Electric Storage

Hi - I have a Rinnai HOTFLO electric water heater purchased via Origin about a year ago, model HFE160 (160 litres). It works fine but the thermostat setting is too low by a few degrees, the water is warm and not hot, something I'd like to correct now that it's winter. It takes about 5 minutes for warm water to come out of the kitchen tap when is should be hot, the shower water is warm but was not a problem in the summer. The only question I have is how can I as a user increase the temperature setting without having to arrange a serviceman to come do it at a cost. I live in Oxley Brisbane 4075. Thanks. Peter

Rinnai   DM

Thanks for the question None. There are unprotected electrical connections and no user accessible components so a suitably qualified person is required to make the adjustments.

AB Qld
AB Qld · HOTFLO

We have just purchased a RinnaiHotFlo water heater Model EHFA 250 S 36 in the water intake inlets and hotwater outlets there is a hollow plastic insert going into the tank. What are these inserts and what is their purpose ?

Rinnai   DM

Thank you for the question AB Qld. Please call our Technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3 for further assistance.

Mel. · HOTFLO

I have a rinnai16 and it has been nothing but a big mistake. It is not that old and i have already had people out 7 times to fix it but with no luck. It will draw the water through you can hear it ignite then cut out and no hot water. Any help?

Rinnai   DM

Thanks for the question Mel, have you had a Rinnai technician inspect the the unit? The most common cause of a unit cutting out is a lack of gas to run the unit. We would like to investigate this for you, can you please send an email to enquiry @ rinnai.com.au (removing the spaces) mentioning Product Review and we will have someone contact you to discuss.

Tara Rymer
Tara Rymer

We also had nothing but trouble. If it is under 12 months old I suggest contacting place of purchase as it should be under warranty and/or contact email given above. We had our Rinnai replaced with a Thermann and have had no troubles since. Good luck hope you can get it sorted soon I know how horrible it is to have no hot water, especially as it approaches winter.

J C Deep

Sorry dont know about that model.

With mine -

Battery - The Rinnai idiots designed it with one "D" size battery - not enough - should be designed with 2 so more reliable like my chinese "camping" HWS - finally found a battery good enough and it lights everytime.

Gas - make sure the regulator fitted to the HWS is not too resrictive - If there is an adjustment on the regulator like mine then open it up and try it.

Flow - make sure the flow is consistently over 4 litres a minute - get a bucket (10 litres) and see how much of it gets filled in a minute.

If flow is to slow - remove flow restrictors on shower heads and taps (plastic fittings on the end of taps - for shower heads usually where the shower head connects to the wall).

I considered buying a non-instant model - as there is no delay with heating the water.

Mel.

Thanks for your reply. It is electric start and costing more money than it is worth. I have had 7 different people look at it but they all say i can not see a fault and these hot water services are great.

Scott
Scott · HOTFLO 10 Instantaneous

This unit is installed in a remote area and does not get a lot of use. In the 6 months I have had it it has only been used 20 or 30 times, Now it has stopped working. Plenty of waster pressure going into the unit,full gas bottle,new battery. Can anybody tell me what to do. The unit was reccomended and I thought I had made a good choice,but maybe not,

Any clues ?.

phil
phil

IF totally buggered it should be under warranty (1300555545 Rinnai serv no at least in WA)

ours is working ok now that we turned the water flow & temp adj clockwise to decr water flow AND my plumber removed the Govt required Temp Limiting device which most plumbers say is the problem if water not hot enough/( nanny state... put in.so babies dont get scalded)

ps..when my solar panel rebate finishes in 4 yrs, I'll be cutting off all gas to house, buying the biggest storage batt & solar hot water elec boosted)

J C Deep

We have since got it working 95% of the time - we had to completely open up the gas regulator which the manual says must be installed (plumber showed me how) and we have to be very careful of air bubbles inside the hot water system (requires draining of the HWS on the inlet side to try and fix). Also I highly recommend removing any flow restrictors on any taps/shower heads You want to ensure your water is flowing at more than 4 litres per minute. I did this by placing a bucket under the outlet, turn on hot water only and see how much water goes into it over a minute - a bucket is usually about 10 litres. You need 4 litres for the HWS to attempt to warm the water. The Temp limiting device might be a factor if there is air bubbles in the HWS - however we still have ours as set up and in summer the water is hot, in winter it is just warm, we are considering setting up a pre-heater for the water before next winter.

Rinnai   DM

Thanks for the question Scott, it can be hard to provide a diagnosis without examining the unit. We do have a technical help line who can troubleshoot over the phone and arrange a service call out if required. If the fault is a manufacturing issue, you are still within your warranty period for the unit.

Ann
Ann · HOTFLO Electric Storage

After receiving our latest Power bill we went "Shock horror" at the increased amount of power our hot water usage was. We have a 400L Rinnai Hot flow Storage heater that is only 18mths old. There are only 2 people living in the house. In the last quarter our usage has increased by 2000kwh, from 347kwh in the previous quarter to 2343 kwh. Something very wrong here. My question at this stage is what happens if the licenced installer has connected the wires the wrong way around, even though it has worked fine, would this cause a higher power consumption over time?

Rinnai   DM

Thanks for the question Ann, there could be a number of issues that might increase the power bill, have you noticed any water leaking from the tank? We have a technical help line that might be able to run through some troubleshooting for you, they are available Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 5.30pm.

Get an answer from our members and Rinnai representatives

Select a listing for your question
Rinnai HOTFLO