Rinnai Infinity 16

Rinnai Infinity 16 Questions & Answers

40 questions from our users

Mark

Markasked

what size house is this suitable for

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the question, we would recommend contacting our Sales Department to discuss this matter. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 1).

Peter.K.
Peter.K.

Hello Mark,

A Rinnai 16 is recommended for a single bathroom.

If you intend to do renovations may I suggest you purchase a Rinnai Infinity 20 or B20 which is recommended for big 1 bathroom Home up to 2 bathrooms.
The difference is approximately $100 between a B16 to a B20.
The gas consumption of a Rinnai B16 is 124 MJ/hr and a Rinnai B20 is 156 MJ/hr.
Ensure that your gas supply can deliver the minimum gas consumption or the unit will not work to specifications

Ensure your Plumber/Gasfitter gets a minimum of 1.13KPA at the gas connection test point or the unit will not work to specifications.
Commissioning of the unit is the key to years of trouble free operation.

Rinnai Australia now offers extended warranty on heat exchanger subject to you subscribe to Rinnai to carry out a Rinnai technician Service every 5 years, so for a builder's series unit 5 and 10 years extending heat exchanger warranty to 15 years on part only.

If you get a 60 degree unit, a controller is required for the bathroom to comply with 50 degree Australian Standards.
2 or more controllers installed extending your parts and labour warranty by 2 years to 5 years.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Peter Kothstein

Stuart

Stuartasked

We have an older infinity 16 heater, and it cuts in and out during showering. It is very sensitive to temperature adjustments- if you want a really hot shower its ok- if you want just warm it cuts out. I think it may have something to do with the incoming water temperature. Any suggestions? Is there a sensor I can disable? Thsnks

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your question.

We would recommend checking the cold water filter as it may require a clean.
If the unit is running on LPG we recommend contacting your local plumber to check, or if the unit is running on Natural Gas we recommend contacting your gas retailer to check the supply.

If you have any further enquires, please contact our Technical Helpdesk team on 1300 555 545 option 3 for assistance.

Garry

Garryasked

Hi our Rinnai 16 is not firing up. The ignition does not seem to be kicking in. There is gas going to the system as I can smell it when it tries to ignite. I have checked the electric and the plug is ok
Thanks Garry

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Garry, if there is gas and power to the unit you may need to book a service call to diagnose the issue. You can book via our website here:
or contact us at 1300 555 545 option 2

Ross H

Ross Hasked

Hi my rinnai b16 gas water heater is very loudat start up when someone turns a hot water tap on is this normal

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Ross H, we would recommend contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3).

DAC

DACasked

Hi.
I note in response to an earlier question, it is said that the product does not consume much power in standby or operating modes. Can you tell me what not much means (in watts) in both standby and operating modes? I have a new PV array & Battery system and am now trying to build a bottoms up energy picture for our household

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question DAC, we would recommend contacting our Technical Department to discuss this matter further. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 (option 3).

Neil

Neilasked

Problem is that water heater works fine but if the tap is turned off and then turned back on heater doesn’t reignight . If it is left for some time then it will work again.

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you for the question Neil. Please contact our Technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3 for further assistance.

Kate 5

Kate 5asked

Can this be fitted inside and outside a building. We have a log cabin and wondered if it can be fitted inside or if it would need to be outside?

mechanic

Kate being a lpg burning water heater I don't think it would be a good idea to mount it inside your home because of gases and heat. mechanic.

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you for the question Kate 5. Please refer to the following link located on our website, this will provide all the information you require. https://www.rinnai.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Operation-and-Installation-Manual-Oct-2017.pdf

For further enquiries please contact our Technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3 for assistance.

Jane F.

Jane F.asked

At my fuse box the hot water fuse is always off. How is it my hot water is always working.

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you for the question Jane F, Our Technical help desk is available for further assistance on 1300 555 545 option 3.

mechanic

Jane with out being there to have a look I don't know what is going on, I do know electricity bites hard so don't mess around with it contact a qualified electrician, be safe. mechanic.

Hoilday

Hoildayasked

Hi
We are installing an on-suite to an onsite van , our plumber has advise that the Rinnai 16 is the one to get as you don't need to run a pilot light just need to run a power point ( LPG ) - We had been thinking of having a mixer tap for the shower and vanity however will this affect the heater performance and turn the gas down and them the possibility of going out. It is for an onsite caravan so just want it to work, without it being complicated. Should we just go with a hot and cold tap for both?

Regards , James

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you for the question Holiday. Please contact our free Technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3 for further assistance.

Jennifer

Jenniferasked

Hi. I live in South Africa. I have a Rinnai 16 litre gas water heater. The complete gas section (diaphragm) part number C36E-51 is faulty and needs to be replaced. Would you have this part in stock or would you know where I could get it? Any help or guidance you could give would be appreciated. Thanks. Jennifer Goutier

Dennis

Dennisasked

Water hammer when turning hot water off?

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your enquiry, we are happy to help. We have a technical helpdesk (which is a free service), who can be contacted on 1300 555 545 and select option 3. Alternatively, you can forward your contact details, brief description of the matter and mention of this review onto enquiry@rinnai.com.au, where one of our customer representatives will contact you shortly.

Thanks, Rinnai Australia.

George Zerial

George Zerialasked

I have a B16 that runs off LPG. Is there a conversion kit that converts it to natural gas?

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Hi George, We can get your details and get our technical help desk to call you if you send your name, contact details and mention of this question on product review to enquiry@rinnai.com.au

Otherwise we can refer you onto our technical help line who can be reached on at no charge on 1300 555 545 option 3.

Vik

Vikasked

I have an rinnai infinity 16 model REU-VR1620WG-AK and will be going away on holiday. Do i simply turn of the gas and water valve? Should i leave the power cable connected and power source to the unit on?

Mitch
Mitch

Personally, I would pull the power if I was going to be gone for more than a few days. The do NOT turn on if there is no water flow. If the unit is older, or if you have doubts about the plumbing in your home, go ahead and turn off the water supply and the gas. On the matter of longer vacations, I have known folks in a non-freezing area to turn the unit off, water and gas to the house is off, too. That said, if you live in an area that can get frost and the unit is equipped with frost protection, AND there is a risk of frost or freezing, leave it connected to power so the frost protection will continue to protect the unit from freezing.

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you for the question Vik. It is fine to turn off gas, water and electricity except in areas where frosts may occur. If frosts are possible the electricity should not be turned off as it may lead to damage to unit.

Maree M

Maree Masked

I have an Infinity 16. I turned my gas off when I went away on holiday. Can you please tell me how I ignite the heater now that I have turned my gas back on?

Thank you for your question Maree M. Please find instructions following;

1. Turn gas meter on
2. Turn on water controller in bathroom or kitchen (if fitted)
3. Turn on hot tap to near maximum.

The heater should fire up. May be air in the gas line, so might take some time. If you are still having issues, check gas, cold water and electricity supplies to heater.
Alternatively you may contact our free technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3 for further assistance.

Ryan F

Ryan Fasked

Can u run this system off a gas bottle?

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Ryan, we have Infinity units for both LPG and Natural Gas.

Anita Dasked

Does this model work ok without mains water pressure and off water tank and pump?

terry
terry

Sor.ry about late reply .Don't know about mains pressure issue but i have mine hooked up to a water tank with a pump into my hot water system which i can transfer over to mains when i need to .The pump just comes on whenever i turn on a hot water tap

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Anita.

When using a storage tank cold water supply, a minimum pump operating pressure of 400 kpa, or 40 meter head height on gravity feed, is recommended, with the corresponding flow rate required for each infinity, in order to obtain the correct hot water flow. A gas plumber should be able to check this to advise if the property is suitable. Our technical department can help with more information on 1300 555 545

Rae

Raeasked

Is the B16 different to the 16 hot water unit ?

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Rae, the B16 is part of our Builders range of hot water units. The main difference is the 10 year warranty on the Heat Exchange rather than a 12 year for the Infinity model and the colour of the units. We recommend talking to our sales team to work out the best unit for your situation. They can be reached on 1300 555 545 option 1

Jason

Jasonasked

Hi I have a Rinnai 16 lpg it’s maybe 6 or 7 years old and isn’t used that often as it’s in a holiday house. The last couple times I used it it is only getting like warm and not getting hot. I left the water running for ages and I heard what sounded like another set of burners kicking in and it got hot. When you turn the water off and on again it just goes back to warm. I had a friend say it’s probably the thermal fuse. Does this sound right and could it be anything else?
Thanks for the help
Jason

Ernestoasked

I have a Rennai 16 bought about 10 years ago. Not long after it we fitted a water reducing filter in our shower head.
The hot water kept coming on an off. I was told that is because the filter reduced the water pressure and this in turn meant the system would not function properly.
* Whats the problem ?
Suggestion was a larger size Rennai unit like a Rennai 20 !
* Is this correct ?
Another problem is running hot water from two taps at same time (Bathroom / Kitchen)
Recently I put a new washer on the tap in my bathroom tap and the hot water is not at all reliable.
* not sure if its the tap/washer (the pressure seems to be OK) or the unit ?!
* There are only two of us in the house, which size unit or product should I get when this one needs replacement ?

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Ernesto, there are a few things to consider when looking at a replacement unit. We have a product selector on the Rinnai website that you can enter your specifications and it will advise on the best unit for your usage.

We would highly recommend installing a temperature controller if you don't currently have one, this should eliminate the issue you have had with the hot water coming on and off. The continuous flow units need certain flow through the unit to operate, when this flow is restricted, for example with some water saving shower heads or adding cold water to the mix, the unit may switch off. By having the controller you can set the exact temperature the unit is producing without having to add in cold water and there is a greater flow rate of hot water as this is the only tap you need to turn on. Purchasing 2 controllers also increases the warranty on your unit from 3 years to 5 years for extra peace of mind.

We also recommend speaking with a plumber before purchasing a new unit, if you are upgrading to a larger hot water system they will need to check that your gas pipework is sufficient to run the new unit.

Our customer contact centre is available to answer any questions you might have and they are available on 1300 555 545 Monday to Friday 8.00am to 5.30pm.

Ernesto

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I have found the solution to the washer problem. The new washer may have contributed to the problem, but the main reason was that the water filter in the nozzle of the tap in our bathroom was clogged up. I then cleaned all of the filters (kitchen, laundry) After cleaning the filters the hot water is better than ever !!

Egga
Egga

Your 16 is probably not triple a rated for low flowing Tapware new ones are putting in a 20 if new model I’ll givd you more flow and should stop the on and off issue as new heaters are triple a rated

Wozzie

Wozzieasked

I live in the Snowy Mountains and am looking at a small instantaneous water heater - which would be better in our cold climate - the B16 or the Infinity 16? It's a one person household so a small water heater is fine.

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Wozzie, we have a hot water selector on the Rinnai Australia website which can give you an idea of the best model for your application. It ca be found at https://www.rinnai.com.au/hotwater-product-selector/. Once you have filled in the details, the relevant model will be displayed. If you require further information please contact our National Customer Administration centre on 1300 555 545.

See all Rinnai Infinity Range questions

Get an answer from our members and Rinnai representatives