Rinnai Infinity 26

Rinnai Infinity 26

Terrible temperature and flow

In the summer months it's OK but when it get cold the temperature at best the water is Luke warm and the flow is terrible.
I have had your Tech guy out charged me $190 to say it's not the unit it's the gas company flow from the street they came out said the gas Flow is fine .
I have had the plumber out 3 times thinking he could help he has seen what is happening but can't find anything .
This happened last winter we couldn't afford to call your tec guys again as her said it will cost again now winter here again and here we go again like warm shower again.
So frustrating wish I had money to buy a new brand.

Purchased in November 2017.

Household Size 4 person(s)

Not hot enough

Our water has never been hot enough. Can wash hair on all hot and hold hand under hot water at kitchen sink. Kitchen sink is close to the unit. Have to boil a kettle for wash up water. How can the temperature be raised please?

Purchased in August 2012.

Noise Level
Household Size 2 person(s)
Heating Speed

I have no hot water and can't get a service call.

I have called four times today and had two return calls "to see what I Wanted" and all I want to do is book a service Call! How hard is that?

Purchased in November 2013.

Noise Level
Heating Speed
Thank you for the review Suzanna. We would like to confirm that a service call has been booked and a technician will be in attendance today to resolve this matter for you. Thanks, Rinnai Australia

Very happy with our Unit, would definitely purchase another!

We purchased ours in 2012 and love our unit. I love being able to adjust the temperature and know my kids and visitors aren't going to get burnt . Great space saver also for the side of our house. We will definitely be looking to purchase another when we move into our new home next month.

Date PurchasedApr 2012
Hi Byster, We’re so glad you’ve had a great experience! Thank you so much for your compliment, we will definitely pass it onto our product development team. We highly value feedback from our customers and are always striving to be market leaders in the provision of innovative products and services. Thanks, Rinnai Australia

i wish i would have purchased a rinnai infinity years before i did.

I purchased a rinnai infinity 26 lpg 60 (6) years ago it is and has been the best (in all respects) hot water system I have ever owned and I have owned a lot over (50) years.
I expect it will not last forever but there is not much that does.
It fired up perfectly the first time it was turned on and has been used a lot in (6) years and keeps on keeping on.
Cheap to run.

Date PurchasedJan 2012
We are pleased to hear that your infinity hot water unit is continuously exceeding your expectations. At Rinnai we pride ourselves in producing quality products and we thank you for your review Mechanic.

this happened to me too!

Finally got a service person to visit and the fan unit is faulty and has to be replaced. Is yours the brand new design with the dark grey contrast sides? Mine is. Service person says a few of these hard a faulty fan unit. Hopefully the replacement with fix it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Thank you for the review Jenn. Please contact customer service on 1300 555 545 option 2 if you require any further assistance.The fan unit has been replaced but this is still a noisy model, far noisier than earlier models which my friends own. I am wondering if the case is more flimsy - I also find it quite ugly with the grey stripes down the side. The single colour of the earlier models is a prefereable design.I have given this unit weeks to 'settle in' i still can't believe how noisy it is. Servce person who installed new fan said all the noises are normal. If you are looking for a quiet Rinnai HWS do not buy this most recent model model. Hunt around for an older one. My friends and relatives with earlier Rinnai instantaneous water heaters have much quieter machines, so i have gone from a happy Rinnai user [ my old 26 was Rinnai ] to a NOT happy user.

Some days takes forever to warm up and doesn't get as hot as our pre-existing electric hotwater syst

Seems to always use excess water to warm up and never seems to stay at a constant temperature when on a lower flow rate. Often during a shower water seems to go completely cold and only way to set to a desired temperature again is to turn shower water off and then resetting the water flow of both hot and cold water, very annoying.

Date PurchasedMay 2014
Thank you for the review ynoT. We are sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with your hot water system. Please contact our free technical help desk on 1300 555 545 option 3 for assistance.

Whistling Dixie

We bought rinnai infinity 26 ... everytime we use the hot water after turn the tap off, the unit whistler for 30 seconds ... very strange ! Never had this with my previous unit is. Is this normal because I ring the service people and they say it is the installer, got the installer out no problem with installation ( licences plumber ). We called back to rinnai with the plumber next to me and they couldn’t help us in any way ... is it normal or not ... I bought this unit as it was recommended but whistling Dixie is annoying ... the service team were rude and said $185 call out fee... if deemed installed wrong ... um it is not ... so I need help.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Thank you for your review Nick. We are sorry to hear of your issues, please forward your details to enquiry@rinnai.com.au so we can assist you further.

Hate it. Makes me miss our tank water heater.

Have the B26. Since the 1st day it was installed, we've regretted it. Expected the lag, but it uses so much water before it goes hot. Sometimes there is just no hot water at all. Mostly early mornings we need to cross our fingers, but now its during the day and I can't get it on anywhere in the house. The plumber came out twice - nothing wrong. Because it is intermittent, it is a nightmare.
I seriously miss our old tank hot water system. This was supposed to be "the best there is".

Date PurchasedSep 2018
UPDATE- I spoke to Rinnai technical support who were quite helpful. I got enough information to go back a third time to the plumber. Seems ok now however will wait and see.Thank you for your update Amanda. We are pleased to hear our Technical support were able to help you with the information required.

Fluctuating temp

I am starting to get temp fluctuating from hot to luke warm.I have removed the water saving discs in the shower heads. Also not getting hot water through to the vanity.The unit is approximately 8 yrs old and runs on bottled gas. Do these units require servicing at regular intervals.

Date PurchasedJun 2010

Very pleased

Had new house built about 8 years ago and didn't stop to think about what sort of gas hot water system they would supply .The cheapskate builder supplied a Vulcan storage type ,was a bulky tank stuck on the side of the wall and even though i turned the heat control all the way up could only get lukewarm water from day one.
In the summer time wasn't too bad but in winter time not good at all .Decided to get the Rinnai 26 back in June from The Gas Works at Morphetvale ,the whole process was absolutely painless ,best tradies i have encountered in a long time.I regularly read my gas meter now days as my retailer over charged me big time once.Since i have had the new heater my meter clicks over ONE DIGIT per 3 days against One digit per day before plus very hot water instead of luke warm .

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Awesome unit. Never had a problem

I’m a Plumber/Gas fitter & Rinnai water heaters are fantastic. I’ve been using an infinity 26 at my home since 2011. Never had a single issue. As for people saying they get hot/cold fluctuations, 90% of the time it’s because you have a flow restrictor in your shower head. Remove the flow restrictor and the water heater will operate correctly

Date PurchasedJan 2011
Thanks for the review Crazykleetus, it's true that flow restriction is usually the biggest issue people face with these type of units. Removing the restriction or installing controllers fix most of these problems.

Dangerous and expensive to run, and the warranty is not honoured

We had problems with this unit since we bought it.Especially on colder days the ignition starts several seconds after we turn the hot water tap on, leaving our backyard full of gas and at times it even comes inside our house. When we bought the unit Rinnai forwarded our details to their area agent Jordans Gas Centres to do the installation. They have been out several times to check the unit but could not find the problem. We called Rinnai today who diverted our call back to Jordan's Gas Centres. Despite that the unit being still under warranty and we had problems with it from the beginning, they want our credit card details for payment before they even send someone out to have a look.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Thanks for the review SteC, we would like to investigate this matter further for you, can you email enquiry@rinnai.com.au mentioning this review and we will be in touch.After contacting Rinnai things went from bad to worse. They contacted Jordans (their agent) who sent out a technician. In the morning of his visit when the temperature was around 5 degrees Celsius the amount of gas coming out when the unit started so excessive that it was coming inside our house. By the time the technician came out around midday, the temperature was around 25 degrees. Although gas was still coming out it was not as excessive as in the morning but still noticeable. The technician claimed that the unit was working properly and it was normal for the gas to come out, just like exhaust fume from a car. All I know that if my car ejected that much exhaust fume, it would not be roadworthy. From time to time we still get an unacceptable amount of gas coming out and our gas bill has skyrocketed. We would have been much better off staying with the old style off peak electric water heater. To rub salt in the wound, a month later we received a statement (the actual invoice never arrived) from Jordans for a $195.00 call out fee. We have been sending bot Rinnai and Jordans e-mails asking them to sort this out as it is a warranty matter since then and neither party is responding, and the overdue statements are still coming.

All good then no spares

Had installed in brand new house. All good with hot water until one day not hot water. Checked unit and still igniting and couple of days of cold showers then hot again then cold again. Called local electricain who sought help from Rinnai. They explained a small part was the issue. Order put in for part to be later told that its a small part and dont sell spares and units are throw away and suggested buy new unit. Gobsmacked that a 3.5 yr unit is considered throw away....... unit eas hatd wired to power and no longer using gas or solar. Bill prices going up!!

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Thanks for the review Ian Haw, can you please contact our team through our enquiry@rinnai.com.au email address, mentioning this review so we can investigate further. It would be highly unlikely that a part would not be available for an Infinity unit after 3.5 years.

Great Product

The product is reliable, can change heat to how hot you want. Perfect for young children put it down to 40-41 for showering and I mostly put it to 55 for normal washing. Easy to use. Only complaint would be it does take a while to run hot in parts of the house that are further from the system. Great improvement on our old electric hot water Possibly would consider the enviro smart next time.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Great, has saved us heaps on our gas bill

I have a child with OCD who spends lots if time in the shower, I was worried about the cost increasing in our gas bills when changing to the Infinity 26 model. As well the reviews I read spoke about water and temperature fluctuations so we were concerned, however in the end we took a gamble and in our case it paid off. Our gas bills have been halved, we can now shower in two bathrooms at same time before we couldn't. We installed temperature controls in both bathrooms so we can all shower at our temperatures although if two people are showering in different bathrooms the main controller sets the temperature, but to us that's ok. We haven't had any issues, the only thing we have to watch is the amount of water flow through our kitchen tap, its a 7.5 lpm per tap so we just turn it to full when using hot water. 6 months in two power bills later the unit is paying for itself.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Much better than I thought!

After reading a few reviews, I was a little worried about switching from a gas storage hot water system to the infinity. However, we have been very impressed! We knew that our pipes needed to be upgraded to larger ones, so we actually had the new unit installed prior to the old one dying, so we had time to switch. The pressure is fantastic- so much so that I can barely tell if another shower , or the washing machine/dishwasher, is being used when I'm having mine. We now also have much more wall space outside, as the infinity is contained in a small unit, rather than the huge tank we had previously. Our plumber who installed the unit is actually considering installing one at his house, as part of his renovations. Thanks Rinnai!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Thanks for the great review Karen, we are so pleased to hear the unit has been such a success. Correct installation makes all the difference and it's great to hear your plumber had done his homework regarding the pipework upgrade.

Fluctuating temperature

Does anybody have issues with their Rinnai Infinity 26b ? Our unit is about 10 months old, and our water temperature drops from hot to cold. We have to then turn off the cold tap until the water goes hot, then adjust the temperature again. This can happen up to 3 times per shower

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Thanks for your question Jason M, the unit requires a good stream of water to stay ignited so if you do not have temperature controllers it is best to turn the hot water on first and then add as little cold water as possible. You can install a controller which means you set the temperature you wish to shower at and only turn on the hot water and this will eliminate the issue. You can call our technical line on 1300 555 545 to discuss your options.After contacting a Rinnai rep, I was informed to check the filter below the unit. There was a small amount of corrosion in this filter which confused the pressure feed, and changed the hot/cold pressures, therefore adjusting the temperature. Seems to be all fixed for now.

Despicable Service and Harassment.

After purchasing the unit 3 months ago it began fluctuating from hot to cold in most areas of the house and produced nil hot water in others. After contacting the fitting plumber who came out and tested it immediately it was found to be an Error 12 (combustion issue). The plumber immediately contacted Rinnai who sent out a prefers plumber. This tradesmen arrived and could not test the unit as he did not have the tools to do so. At this point I had no further contact with anyone until receiving a call the next day demanding $195 fee for the call out. Since then I have been threatened and harassed on a daily basis by Rinnai Australia demanding the credit card payment for the call out fee. After investigating online and searching review websites I am now even more disgusted to find that this is a common problem with this unit. I am confused as to why I am out of pocket for what is clearly a documented and known warranty issue with the infinity 26 unit. Furthermore the subsequent treatment and harassment I’m am currently receiving from Rinnai on daily basis. I will be evaluating what suitable action can be taken with Consumer affairs in regard to this shocking treatment from what I believed would be a very reputable company. Please be mindful before purchasing any similar products.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Thanks for your review Simon L, we are sorry to hear the issues you have faced with the unit. Error code 12 is generally an installation fault with the unit not receiving enough gas to operate but we would like to investigate this matter for you. Can you please send your details through to enquiry@rinnai.com.au mentioning this review and we will be contact.I appreciate the offer to investigate after my comments in this public forum, although after the treatment I have received I would rather not converse or do business with Rinnai any further. Extremely disappointing. Thank you

Disgraceful customer service do not buy rinnai

Never experienced such poor & unprofessional customer service from RINNAI.
Had an independent plumber review unit & advised fault code displayed. He submitted warranty claim. Rinnai sent tech to fix problem & advised it was a unit problem & demanded call out fee.
Rinnai authorized their technician to attend the job & they are responsible for costs associated with warranty claims.
I have been receiving verbal abuse & threats from rinnai's technicians. Im am disgusted this how rinnai treat their customers after paying $2200 for their product.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Thanks for the review, we are sorry to hear you have not been happy with the service you have received and would like to look into this matter further. If the unit is still within the warranty period and has been diagnosed as a manufacturing fault there will be no charge. Can you please send through your details to enquiry@rinnai.com.au and we can investigate further.Hello, thank you for your response. Rinnai has since paid the call out fee as per your warranty terms.Thanks for the update, we are glad to here the issue was resolved.