Rivergum Homes Questions & Answers

SA, QLD

14 questions from our users

ABGasked

SA

What is insulation like on your homes? I.e., how quickly do they heat up in summer and cool down in winter? Are your homes designed with the environment and electricity bills in mind?

Markus
Markus

Hi ABG, I would stay clear of any of the modern and stylish cladding materials, they add almost nothing to the insulation. We have fibre cement cladding upstairs in our new home, with upgraded insulation and windows (double-glazing to the bedrooms). To feel comfortable, we require more heating and cooling at night and during the day, as compared to our previous place which was a double-storey with Hebel material all around.

Thanks Markus!

Jenny

Jennyasked

SA

Hi,
We built at turn-key investment property town house in 2012. In 2015, the hot water service went & wasn't claimable under warranty or insurance. The brand was DUX. The plumber suggested it was an inferior product & that he has replaced many of this brand. We had to pay for a full replacement of a new unit (we did not re-install a DUX system).
2019, our ducted reverse system airconditioner has now gone, again, out of warranty & not claimable on insurance. The air cond tech made comment that the Prelude brand installed was not a known brand & they are unable to get parts. For a 7 year old home, we are not impressed. Can you please advise the best person I can make contact with to discuss.
Thanks,
Jenny

Richard Weeks

We moved in on May 13. The issue with the hot water service was the plumber failing to tighten the 2 connecting nuts. We haven't installed an air conditioner so I am sorry that I am unable to help, particularly if it is past warranty.
Richard

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your query and contact. We can assure you that the DUX hot water systems are amongst the most popular in the market, however please document your concerns and send them through to: r.daminato@rivergumhomes.com.au who will be able to discuss these specific queries with you.

ozinhk

ozinhkasked

what are their transportable homes like for finished quality and any problems locating one on hindmarsh island?

Richard Weeks

I haven't had any experience with their transportables, but I believe they are now gearing up to do more.
Richard

Hi Ozinhk,
We have 25 years experience building transportable homes, and we certainly offer this service on Hindmarsh Island. If you're able to provide your email address, we can send a brochure and some information through for your reference?
Thanks.

Renae Cliff

Renae Cliffasked

Hi, I have now sent three emails and still no action from our list from our final walk through.
Looking forward to someone getting in contact with me regarding this.
Paul and Renae

Mary M
Mary M

Hi Renae. Have you tried speaking with your construction supervisor direct?

Hi Renae

Noting we have now been in contact, if any concerns remain please contact Bel or myself on 8150 6088.

Kind regards

Barbara

Barbaraasked

Can you tell me if we can get the $2,000 deposit We paid to rivergum back please. I was told we are not elligible for FHOG so unable to go ahead with house plans and this had left us financially short as we were told FHOG was not going to be a problem. Is there a way to retrieve this?

Hi Barbara

Please call me to discuss on 8150 6088.

Thanks and regards

Danni 2

Danni 2asked

Do you build granny flats?

Kerry

Kerryasked

Hi on the price list it says connected not connected connected standard connected premium what does this mean please?

Hi Kerry

Please call our customer care team on 1800 697 483 and they will put you in touch with a sales consultant to discuss and advise you on each of the options.

nickispa

nickispaasked

How much extra in upgrades did everyone roughly pay above the base house price?

Hello Nickispa

We don't advise an average upgrade spend as it is very much dependant on the house and individual budgets. Please call us on 1800 697 483 if you would like to discuss with a sales consultant.

Regards

Ktt

Kttasked

Has anyone had to go into a complaint resolution process?

Hello Ktt,

Please contact me either on 1800 697 483 or email customerservice@rivergumhomes.com.au to discuss your concerns and the complaint resolution process.

Kind regards
Customer Service Manager

Amy N
Amy N

Have you managed to gain any sort of compensation for all your issues from them? I also have had the worst experience with them and have been in my house almost a year now and still experiencing roof leaks leading to repainting etc and can't believe they have not offered any sort of compensation for all of the growing list of issues.

scorpio
scorpio

i am still waiting for a response from RG on my home and been told i may need to engage a engineer and legal team

Peti babic

Peti babicasked

Do you build in Sydney? Our land is in Oatley in Sydney. We want a cottage sunrise look, single or double storey with 3 bedrooms, study. Land is about 10m in width and about 14metres in length.

Hello Peti Babic

We are not currently building in Sydney. We appreciate your enquiry and wish you the best with building your home. Kind regards, Rivergum Homes

Ash_B

Ash_Basked

Hi All,
We are planning to build our first home (Land total 459SM, 15SM width) and looking for builder with no surprise coast! We want 3 bedroom house with double garage and study. We are renting at the moment so looking for guaranteed build time as well. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

jaja

hi, we are at this moment building with Rivergum..you can read our review. ask any builder who supply kitchen, bathroom etc...go and have a look in there shop and compare what u see in selection rooms...you can always update, push any of them to present paperwork to council, check each and every pc of paper 2x before you sign. now we have 3/4 of the house ready and are happy with speed /building start 23/12/2015/ and quality up to now. We have had toss between Sarah and Rivergum...visit many friends who build with both of them...Rivergum was for us. Always keep in mind that the price of the house + 30-60 thousand.....with all selections or kitchen update, bathroom update etc. Take some good friend with a good taste to help you choosing interior design...you can move inside walls to your requirement in Rivergum for free.

jaja

Most important..some people say Rivergum, Sarah are budget homes...up to you what u select...we don't have that feeling...knowing people who build so call upmarket...it is cost of the land pushing the price up, it is your selection how to build kitchen and bathroom...and until now there is no problem at all, house looking million dollars to us. Good luck

Like the person above said DONT BUILD WITH RIVERGUM! We signed with them and it took nearly a year before they did anything even though we came in with planning approval, plans, engineering reports etc. when they did get started they nearly stuffed up the integrity of the slab. It was only because we employed our own building inspector to try to keep them honest that this was picked up and rectified. An electrical issue that was planned for and paid for in which it had to be put under and through the slab was not done at all and we have been lied to constantly and had to chase them on every detail. They simply don't care. This process has been frustrating, with no adequate, if any, communication from Rivergum. They pay no attention to detail or timing and treat their customers like rubbish. We are living in dread of what will go wrong next. Save yourself a lot of grief and find a builder who demonstrates some integrity and quality in their builds. Rivergum are a disgraceful nightmare from our experience!

C&B

C&Basked

We are looking at building our first home and have started researching land prices and advertised builder's prices for homes. We partcularly like Rivergum designs. Can someone please tell me the likely hidden costs to build compared to advertised price of the house in addition to the cost of the land?
For example if the land is $200k and a house selection we like is $150k, besides stamp duty and fees how much over the $350k would it likely to be.
We are just so wary about starting the project for costs to blowout and therefore the loan not be serviceable.

Hi,
Great question. We got caught out not looking into 'extra' expenses.
First up, the display home you see, is not the home you get for the advertised price. The actual house you get for the advertised price is very, very basic with dated and plain fittings, not many windows and limited power points too. For us to upgrade to 9 ft ceilings, upgrade basins, sinks, tapwear, bench tops, appliances etc., it cost us aprox 30K more. And we were far from top of the range. To have your home look like a display home, I would estimate allow 40K or more (in my opinion).
Site works can be an extra too which could cost well into the thousands.
Plus landscaping, shed, water tank (if needed), driveway.... Allow an extra 20 - 50K there.
You may also have to do your own stormwater which is another couple of K's, plus may have to pave a designated area around your house too which is more $$ again...
In my opinion and from my experience, I suggest to have an extra 60 - 80K to allow for all the extras that aren't mentioned in the 'advertised price'.

Ask your builder lots of questions and a very clear price before you sign any paperwork. What may seem like a small change could be quite costly. For example, we had 6 meters in length of outdoor timber uprgraded in width by 50mm, and it cost us an extra $1,200!

Hi C&B,

Thanks for your enquiry. This is a very common question. It comes back to several things:

1) First of all it relates to the site, if its sloping, flat, falls to the rear or side and then also the quality of the soil. Even if the block is flat, the soil profile in some parts of South Australia has a clay base which means that the soil will keep moving and therefore there will be deeper foundations required and how deep depends on the engineer.

2) Where the services are located, eg. power, water, sewer, gas for the builder to connect to. On some blocks these are not available and therefore costs are involved for connection from the main supply.

3) Our homes are available in a standard or premium finishes and fixtures package. Many clients are happy with the standard pack of inclusions however there is the option to add upgrades such as deluxe fittings, stone bench tops, boutique tiling in the wet areas and this is just in the internal of the home. Some also like to add upgrades to the outside of their home like stormwater, paving driveway and fencing. It depends on your personal requirements, taste and style. These all add to the cost of the home.

If you have a preferred area in mind you would like to live I can price up some of our homes for you to compare the land and site costs. I am also happy to provide further information around our inclusions if you'd like to give me a call or pass on your contact details I will be in touch.

Kind regards,

Joe Romano
New Homes Consultant
Ph 0403 575 208

ken Holtham

ken Holthamasked

We have a 2 story rivergum home. About 9 yrs old. A few tiles in the upstairs ensuite floor are loose/lifted. I took one up & have found what looks like loose builders sand underneath. I can send photos. The tile has a 2-3 ml of screed /Glue attached which obviously isnt sufficiently strong. I dont understand why they wouldnt be attached to a solid underfloor like cement sheeting? Would you please advise.
Ken Holtham

Good afternoon Ken,

Thank you for your enquiry. Can you please email photos to customerservice@rivergumhomes.com.au, marked to my attention and I will call you to discuss by COB tomorrow, Friday June 26th.

Kind regards,
Customer Service Manager
8150 6088

Scotty

Scottyasked

Hi all. Im in the process of sub dividing my property and currently in negotiations with Rivergum homes to possibly build 2 Aspens on my land..This is my first time to do anything like this and was just wondering if someone could tell me if I should be pushing hard to get a better price for building 2 at the same time next to each other. It seems that the price quoted for each is not really different building 1 on its own.. As they would be built simultaneously I thought maybe there would be some savings on building the 2 together.

Could anyone enlighten me if I should be pushing negotiations harder?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Rob W
Rob W

Hi Scott,
Honestly I would have no idea if they'd offer any sort of discount for multiple houses. There is no harm in asking. I would be very careful about building with this company based on our experience. If you do however, make sure you go over things like drawings with a fine tooth comb, every revision you sign should be compared too with the previous one as they have a habit of changing things for you without your knowledge. Also, familiarise yourself with absolutely every item on your selections list and triple check that they are provided. Pay close attention to things like driveway crossovers and ensure they are provided. If you are told you need storm water collection tanks at the back of your property, ask to see an exact picture of what you will be provided with and make them sign it. Ask upfront for completion and handover dates and make the construction manager sign them.
Last but not least, do not be pressured to provide final progress payments until you are 100% happy the work has been completed.
Good luck with your houses!

Connie

Measure everything yourself..demand to review and oversea everystep of construction..participate...they tell you to keep away during the build becausr of OHS...put up security as soon as kitchen and bathrooms go in..builders secret ..lots of thieving and people get broken into as you start covering windows..

Connie

Make sure you view every step after lockup and get your property fenced and locked up before they finish..well known in the building industry new homes things go missing around the time you get your keys....check every item as it is finished..take lots of photos..it will annoy them but you are investing in a lot of money ..

Get an answer from our members and Rivergum Homes representatives