Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5 EFI

Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5 EFI Questions & Answers

7 questions from our users

davidasked

i am in the market for a enfield bullet 500, my only issue is, would the bike be to small for me, i am 6feet 2 inch tall and need to know if any other rider has thoughts on this?

wildbill

probably not the ideal choice but if you really like the bike i think you could live with that. just dont expect a power house. its a fun bike with lots of character but lacks power

david

Thank you for your response seems to be the bike is worth the sacrifice in power for it's personality thank you

Corvus tricyclus
Corvus tricyclus

I'm 6 2 and 68 yrsold and find it's a great fit

battler

battlerasked

Anyone no who can set up a sidecar as mine is all out of wak or where to go to get it done?

Was warned against it as unstable and dangerous if your not an experienced rider which I'm not.
So have shelved the idea for now .
Most I have asked said to get the car manufacturer to fit.

Mr Discrete

Mick Lemon who lives in Exeter Tasmania 0400 660 926. He is absolute expert.

Mr Discrete

You need to put a steering damper on too.
This page has the measurements

Flannel Broken Hill

Flannel Broken Hillasked

Can anybody please give me some advice on the purchase and fitting of a Side Car to my Royal Enfield C5 EFI Classic ?
Good or bad all advice welcome .

Pterodactyl

Flannel, I've been motorcycling for 50+ years. For the last 4 years, I've owned and ridden a Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide with a sidecar, in addition to owning a 2015 Royal Enfield C5 EFI Classic. Driving (not riding) with a sidecar is a very different experience than riding a motorcycle -- there is no leaning the motorcycle with a sidecar -- you steer/drive it. For most, taking a turn on the motorcycle side is no problem; but taking a turn on the sidecar side (especially without a passenger) can be a scary -- especially at speed or a tight turn -- the sidecar will lift its wheel, and unless you properly steer the motorcycle/sidecar, it will go straight. Plus, sidecars need to be aligned for all-around stability, so it's not a good idea to remove it once attached to your motorcycle. Having said this, the only sidecar I would recommend is Cozy -- it's basically light weight, well-constructed, and visually goes with a Royal Enfield C5 EFI Classic. Your RE gearing will be fine, but don't expect strong acceleration or high speed cruising -- 60 mph is it; I'd stay at 55 mph or less. You should be no heavier than 200 lbs. and your passenger no more than 150 lbs. Regards, Pterodactyl

Thanks mate valuable information and much appreciated .
Still have to convince the minister for finance that this is a good idea for her , me & grandchildren etc but I'm inching closer that an old guy like me can potter around quit safely with one of these and have a lot of fun .
Thanks again Pterodacytyl.

Stable
Stable

What Pterodactyl says about cornering is true, a number of people have been killed in my local area ALL on left hand bends. Not had sidecars myself but my dad had a few and my mechanic was an experienced sidecarist too. Dad recons the sidecar needs a brake to apply on left hand bends, along with acceleration, and the mechanic recommends proper sidecar forks not telescopics. I'd rather have a real car or a two wheeler. The German Army WW2 sidecars were a whole set up with sidecar having powered drive, not just something stuck on the side of a solo bike.

Brendan Phillips

Brendan Phillipsasked

After riding for a while and past the honeymoon period, is it still a functional option that is reliable and low cost to maintain and repair? I love the looks but like any relationship, that does not last by itself. I want to feel I can just hop on and take off without any fuss. Also the chrome quality; is it good or does it fade and crack after a few dates with the weather?

Sad Dave

My experience with this bike as a daily rider have been terrible . Iv you want reliabuility , don't buy one of these .

Mr Discrete

I really don't know - bike under cover - light wind/rain cover - not happy with surface rust emerging but weather has been very heavy rain for months now. Only 65 km on speedo - will be interesting to see if things survive till summer - all bikes are built to withstand all weather - like cars - so heres hoping

Pterodactyl

Brendan, I now have 1300 miles on my 2015 RE Classic 500 EFI (in black) and recently brought it to the dealership for a "new bike" recommended 1000 mile oil/filter change and check-up. No issues at all. Understand my RE is always garaged, and is NOT used for commuting -- just nice day rides. I don't do "burn-outs", keep to moderate revs, and I carefully followed the "break-in" procedures. At 600 miles, I replaced the OEM muffler with a "Dunstall-type" replacement -- what a positive upgrade! Since the RE is air cooled, I never let it idle more than 3 minutes, especially in hot weather. No surface rust, and the paint is still fine; mind you, if the bike gets wet, I dry it off, and use some spray-on wax after. The "honeymoon" still exists. Regards, Pterodactyl Racing

Belly

Bellyasked

Thinking of buying a classic Enfield what would a cruising speed be for one of these would a 100 kph be ok?

Yes 100 km/h is perfect cruising speed

Pterodactyl

Yes, I agree, 100 km/h is fine for a Royal Enfield 500 cc cruising speed. If you plan, however, on spending a lot of time on the "open -road", you may want to consider, as with any "naked-bike", a "fly-screen" or small windscreen. Be sure to follow Royal Enfield's "break-in" procedures -- critical for any motorized vehicle.

wildbill

I've had several c5's and yes it will cruise at 100 kph. but if you fit a sports exhaust and an ejk kit it will cruise very easy at 100kph plus have a bit of overtaking power too . it will also have very good pick-up in the first 3 lower gears. plus those two mods alone will in comparison make the standard bike a very disappointing ride. so well worth the time-effort and small $$ outlay
my 016 lagoon blue runs the above mods and my 016 ash white 350 with just the sports exhaust is very close on power to a standard c500 - that's how importing the breathing is on these bikes -they are very restrictive but respond well to a sports exhaust.

footrot

footrotasked

I have been left a 22-year-old enfeild bullet. Apparently it has a problem with a seal between the sump and something else it drains through if unridden for awhile. Is there a fix or just replace? Thanks Greg.

Hi Greg,
Thank you for your question.
I have not had any experience with the older Enfield's but would suggest that you have a chat to a local Enfield dealer work shop and seek their advice.
Older Harley Davidson had issues with oil leaking through the oil pump from the oil tank if left sitting for extended periods of time but would return the excess oil in the crank case back to the tank again once started.
Best you discuss the situation with a mechanic familiar with the Enfield machines.

Regards
Paddy

Sarge18

Agree with Paddy. Dry sump engines will eventually leak oil back to the sump, if left alone long enough. Try a couple of oil changes, and ride her for a while. If she's still "wet sumping", it's maybe an easy return ball valve and Spring replace fix. Hardly a big job.

Sad Dave

Do a search for " classicmotorworksforum " and you will find an excellent resource . No doubt your issue and a solution have been discussed in the classic section .

fiona bruyn

fiona bruynasked

what is and where do you get the most comfortable pillion seat for this bike ?

Paddy02

Umm, can't help as I don't ride with a pillion but web search may help you.

Regards
Paddy

Sarge18

Paddy is correct, just look up an Indian retailer. Decent accessories for these Enfield's are inexpensive via the many after-market Indian suppliers. Or, just contact the local Enfield agent where you live. They should be able to toss a big comfy "double" seat your way easily enough.

On EBay. If you get one from overseas it is cheaper than from a RE dealer. I don’t have the full seat I have a sprung rider seat and an oblong passenger seat with a sissy bar. I am size 16 and both are ok for my bum. If it is still not comfy for your passenger then order an Airhawk cushion. They are awesome!