49 questions from our users

Kylea M.

Kylea M.asked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Hi I was hoping to find out how to cancel a dog insurance policy as we no longer need it

Julie
Julie

When you get your renewal notice just ring and cancel. Talk to them about your circumstances.

Hi Kylea,
Thank you for reaching out. Can you please reply to my private message with your policy details and I will arrange for one of our team members to reach out and discuss your request further with you.

Lexi

Lexiasked

Hi,

I have received an email saying one of my claims will not be approved because my dog had a pre-exisiting condition.

I still have 2 claims left but I can already tell that the answer will be the same as it is related to her current condition.

I am very confused as my dog was never diagnosed Dermatitis until this year.

My policy started on 10th December 2019 and according to you my dog was diagnosed with Dermatitis on 7th December 2019.

On the 7th I took her to the Vet to get her annual shot done and no one at the Vet had said anything about her having Dermatitis or showing any signs.

I am very confused as her first skin condition happened this year in March 2020 and I had to take her to the Vet 3 times all together (March 2020, July 2020 and September 2020) and her bills reached nearly $800

Can I please know how can you tell that my dog had a pre-existing condition when every time I took her to the Vet there were no such diagnosis until March 2020???

I have tried calling and have been on wait for nearly an hour.

I need someone to contact me as soon as possible to give me a reason or proof that my dog had dermatitis as pre-existing without the Vet saying so!

Hi Lexi,
I am sorry to hear of your frustrations and appreciate the opportunity to look into this further with you. Can you please reply to my private message with your policy details and I will arrange for one of our Senior team members to be in touch with you to discuss your concerns.

Sue W.asked

Hi

I want to cancel my policy as I am not happy with a refusal for my claim. My kitten was insured by me on the Saturday and my confirmation email and my confirmation email told me he was insured from midnight that day. On Sunday afternoon I noticed he was limping and on Monday I took him to my vet who suggested xrays to check his hip. I said fine because I knew he was insured. He did have a broken hip and they recommended surgery. I sent a claim for the visit and got a letter saying it was refused because the consultation and treatment was not within the insurance period, despite it being two days after the policy started. Please tell me how this is right? No point asking you to pay for surgery as it’s now pre-existing condition. I will be insuring him elsewhere now.

Hi Sue,
I am sorry to hear that your kitten has a broken hip and of your dissatisfaction in relation to your policy. Your policy does start at one minute to midnight (11.59pm) on the commencement date shown on your Certificate of Insurance. You are able to claim immediately for events covered under the accidental injury section of the policy, provided the accident occurred after the start date. However, there is a 30 day waiting period for illnesses and 6 months for cruciate ligament conditions.
I have sent you a private message to obtain your policy details to assist with your cancel request. However, we would be sorry to see you go.

cackle
cackle

Sounds like someone tried to take insurance out after the kitten was injured

Sue W.

No just bad luck, I don't do insurance fraud thank you!

steve b.

steve b.asked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Please tell me what percentage of premiums do the rspca receive. Thanks

Hi Steve B,
Thank you for reaching out to us with your query. I can confirm that up to 20% of your first-year's premium being paid helps support the RSPCA.

Pollyfodder
Pollyfodder

Yeah, and the other 80 percent minimum in the first year and 100 percent in the following years supports you!
What a rort!
You should be ashamed of yourselves!
Political pressure will put an end to this!

Hi Pollyfodder,
We endeavour to remain transparent with our customers in relation to all aspects of their policies, including the amount of premiums used to support the RSPCA.

M Laiasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

I signed up for the insurance (Ultimate plan) in March 2020, and I was sure that accident injuries have no waiting period. True enough, only a few days after we signed up, my dog was playing ball and hurt his left leg, we took him to the vet and vet assessment was "Soft tissue injury/trauma; Muscle sprain, Tendinitis, Ligament inflammation, Elbow injury". I did not submit my claim right away. My dog has fully recovered from the leg injury.

Then, a few days ago, my dog again hurt himself on his left leg, the assessment from the vet is he was fully recovered from his last injury, and then have another lameness of his left leg, there wasn't any suggestion that the two injuries are related. He did x-ray and vet gave him some medicines. I then submitted both claims at the same time. Both have been declined. first claim was because it is within the waiting period. The second claim was due to pre-existing condition.

When I signed up for the insurance, I was told that accident injury has no waiting period. So if my dog hurt himself playing, is it not an accident?

Also, his first time injury was fully recovered according to the vet note. The medical note from the vet did not suggest the two injuries were related, it did not say my dog injured the same area or same muscle. Is it mean if he ever have any problem on his left leg, it is a pre-existing condition? It does not matter if he hurts his knee or shoulder or toes or paw on his left everything is pre-existing on his left leg?

I was trying to call, and was very disappointed as due to the covid-19 there wasn't anyone picking up my call.

Ebony-Rose
Ebony-Rose

It may have been a mis communication on their end, as the person who signed me up explained that there are two waiting periods. One for accidents and one for things such as ligatures etc.
She did say I could apply to have the waiting period wavered if I had to and it was an emergency.
Try give this number a call, as when I called back yesterday my call was answered right away. 0284594771

M Lai

Thanks Ebony-Rose I understand that there will be 30 days waiting period for some illness and 6 months waiting list for Cruciate Ligament. I was told that no waiting period for accidental injuries. Now it looks like they are saying my dog playing ball hurt himself is not an accident to their definition. But I will post an update once they get back to me on this matter.

Hi M Lai,
Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to look into this further for you. As mentioned, a member of our team will be in contact with you to discuss your claims further.

M Laiasked

angelacourt2
angelacourt2

I just signed up with RSPCA i hope I have made right decision I will be interested to see what they say

Hi M Lai,
I am sorry to hear of your pets injury and I hope he is recovering well. To qualify for cover under the accidental injury section of your policy, the accidental injury must have occurred during the policy period and be a direct consequence of at least one of the following: a motor vehicle incident; a burn or electrocution; or an allergic reaction to an insect or spider bite other than tick or flea bites; Or; result in: a bone fracture; snake bite toxicity; a traumatic ligament or tendon injury; bite wound or fight wound abscesses; lacerations or abrasion of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to external violence. I can confirm there is no waiting period after the commencement date of your policy for accidental injury items other than cruciate ligament conditions. However, we would appreciate the opportunity to look into your experience and I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

M Lai

Thank you for your reply. So the definition of accident does not include an injury occur when dog is playing, running, walking, jumping or sitting. So it means to me that most of the common injuries for most cases will not be covered under this policy. Is it correct?

And If another injury happen again 1) it will not define as accidental injury 2) it also become pre-existing condition if the injury appears to be a similar injury even the vet did not say it is the same injury. So am I correct to say that either way I don’t get covered by RSPCA?

littlepoppetasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Dear RSPCA, I recently signed up for a policy for my puppy. Unfortunately, I had some issues with my bank card (and I completely overlooked my policy payments being declined), as a result my policy was cancelled. I had no idea this had happened as I still had a $50 claim processed in that time, once I did realise I attempted to fix it, however once I found the emails I realised I was two days outside of the cut off. - I spoke with a representative who very kindly created a new policy for me however she didn't explain that a new policy would likely be declined. She said the underwriting team would contact me to discuss but I didn't hear from them, I just got a letter declining cover.

I understand it was my fault the payments didn't process, however I was willing to pay any outstanding amounts and did offer to do this, but was advised to apply for a new policy. Is there any way that RSPCA might reconsider granting me a policy if I was to fix up any previous outstanding payments?

littlepoppet

I’ve never had any other insurance policies cancelled, and have never made any claims on any other insurance policies in the past (for car etc) if that helps.. thank you

Hi there,
Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this. I would like to have one of our team members look into this for you and discuss further. Can you please reply to my private message with your full name along with your most recent policy details and I will refer this to one of our team members to review and be in contact with you.

Hi Shae,
I understand one of our team members have been in touch and have resolved your request. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

chrissyh

chrissyhasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Why are you messing me around, my last claim was denied & then over turned & paid after lots of tooing & frowing on my behalf & NOW AGAIN my cat has gone to the vet for the exact same reason as my last claim was (which originally was a cat bite about 6 months ago which has now turned into a legion). They are even talking about amputation & you are DENYING THIS CLAIM AGAIN. I was assured after my last dealings with u that this would not happen again & iIT HAS i AM FRUSTRATED & ANGRY as to how I am being treated & expect you to review his claim again & get back to me ASAP..
Hope to hear from you soon. :-(

Hi Chrissy,
I am sorry to hear of your cats on-going health concerns and of your frustrations. I have responded to your private message and have escalated your concerns onto our team to look into your claim further with you.

Margaret

Margaretasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

I Margaret Weaver ,,policy no. RS099522651 , would like too CANCELL our Policy ,Due to current reasons

Hi Margaret,
Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this. Thank you for your details, I have passed your request on to the relevant team who will review this for you.

Hi Margaret,
I understand a team member has been in contact and your request has actioned. If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Innes

Innesasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Unfortunately one of my cats passed away early yesterday morning from an accident. I have emailed to cancel her policy as calling through at the moment is quite difficult. Is this the correct procedure. Thank you. Kind regards, Michelle

Hi Michelle,
I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your cat and wish to extend our sympathy to you. I will raise this with our team directly and have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

Marc C.

Marc C.asked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Corona 19. Will rspca pet insurance be helping people affected by the current global pandemic and losing jobs to keep cover or defer premiums?

Hi Marc,
Thank you for reaching out, we appreciate the concerns you have raised. If you would you like to discuss your policy, and any financial hardships which you may be experiencing, please reach out to us via email to rspca@petsure.com.au
Alternatively, if you would like to provide your full name and policy details, I can arrange for one of our team members to reach out and discuss your policy with you.

Teresa

Teresaasked

Ultimate Accident & Illness Cover

I've had ultimate accident and illness cover since my dog was a puppy and have never made a claim he is now 2 yrs old and he has started to have a hacking cough every couple of hours he is up to date with all his needles and tablets my question is if it is kennel cough or similar is he covered by his pet insurance

Hi Teresa,
Thank you for reaching out with your query. Vet expenses attributable to or resulting from treatment of the following irrespective of whether your dog was vaccinated or not; including infectious canine hepatitis (canine adenovirus), parvovirus, canine distemper, parainfluenza, canine influenza and all forms of kennel cough are not covered under your policy. However, if you would like to discuss this further with our team please send us a private message noting your policy details

Leedy

Leedyasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Can you claim preventative medication eg flea,tick,worm tablets if they are ordered on line and not brought at the vets? Thanks

fletch
fletch

I dont think they would reimburse you as this is a preventative action not carried out by a Vet. you could post the question to them on the site to get clarification.

mrbbear81
mrbbear81

Not on normal cover. There is an option to pay a few extra dollars a week to the premium to get preventive things done through a registered vet

Hi Leedy,
You can choose to add our optional Routine Care Cover to either the RSPCA Ultimate or RSPCA Ultimate Plus Cover, and claim for benefits such as; Heartworm test or blood screen - $15 a year, FeLV/FIV test or urinalysis - $15 a year. Plus, a $50 annual benefit for any one of these routine treatments: De-sexing and Micro-chipping, Heartworm preventative medication, Teeth cleaning, Vaccinations, Council registration fees, Prescription diets or Alternative therapies. When you submit a claim, we do require the consultation notes of your vet visit and the itemised invoice. If you would like to discuss this further, please send me a private message noting your contact details.

Cat

Catasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

I currently have pet insurance with another company that I am dissatisfied with. We have served the waiting period for that company and are almost at the end of our first year of insurance, which is now up for renewal. If we move and take out insurance with RSPCA, will we still need to serve a 30 day waiting period?

Hi Cat,
Thank you for reaching out. RSPCA Pet Insurance has the following waiting periods when taking out a new policy:
No waiting period for accidental injuries, 30 days for Illnesses and 6 months for cruciate ligament conditions. The waiting period for cruiciate ligament conditions may be waived on application refer to the relevant Policy Booklet for more information.
If you would like to discuss this further, please respond to my private message with your name and contact details and I will arrange for one of our team members to contact you.

Helen B.asked

Economy Accident & Illness Cover

Hello, my 3 year old dog is going to the vets for x-rays next week to see if she has hip dysplasia. (showing symptoms) Will she be covered if the vet advised a hip replacement?
many thanks.

Hi Helen,
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your query and I hope that your pet is doing well. I would like to arrange for one of our team to contact you to discuss this directly to confirm policy specifics. I have sent you a private message to obtain further information.

Hi Helen,
Thank you for providing us with your details. I understand that a member of our team has been in contact and assisted with your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hi, Jessica
Yes, thank you for your quick response and from your team. You all have been very helpful in my inquiry
Kind regards :)

Anne_B

Anne_Basked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Why does RSPCA pet insurance require all medical notes in order to assess claims? This isnt Necessary for human health insurance where an itemised bill is adequate.
Is this documentation being utilised to assess risk and increase premiums as the pet ages?

Hi Anne_B,
Thank you for reaching out to us with your query. When submitting your first claim, we require your pets full vet history to assist in understanding aspects of your claim to ensure it is processed correctly and fairly.

Mel
Mel

They employ teams of people to reject claims and require medical history to find an out clause that most of us don't realise are in our policies, even vets agree that these policies are a rip off.

Jenny R.

Jenny R.asked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

do you cover ultasounds for pregant dogs ?

Hi Jenny,
Thank you for reaching out to us with your query. We have certain terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations that help keep premiums low. These include, but are not limited to, conditions such as pregnancy, elective procedures, pet foods/diets, grooming and medical conditions that are present or that you were aware of (or that a reasonable person in your circumstances should have been aware of) prior to the policy commencement date or that arise during the applicable waiting period.

L H.

Any pre existing conditions will be declined for the life of your pet. The policy definition is lengthy.

Pre-existing Condition means any Condition(s) or symptoms or signs of that Condition occurring or existing in any form prior to the Commencement Date or during any applicable Waiting Period. Including but not limited to:
any cruciate ligament Condition; a Recurring Condition; any Skin Condition (as defined); latent infectious Conditions thatmanifest within a known incubation period indicating clear evidence that the Condition had existed prior to theCommencement Date; any Condition in remission at the time of the insurance application;
any seasonal Condition; Conditions currently or previously being controlled by medication(s); or and whether or not diagnosed or treated by a Vet. (If your Pet has a Pre-existing Condition, please also refer to definitions for a Related Condition and a Bilateral Condition).

Tarni.G

Tarni.Gasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Do I have to pay for vaccines then make a claim

Hi Tarni,
Thank you for your question. When submitting a claim, you are required to include a copy of both the itemised invoice and the consultation notes from your vet visit. As an itemised invoice is required, you would need to pay for the treatment prior to submitting your claim.

L H.

The way it works in practice is that you pay the vet, submit a claim online to RSPCA, they send you a letter in the post and ask you to provide the vet notes, or that the claim has been declined which frequently happens. You then ask ask your vet to send the vet records to rspca and then after a while you either receive a refund which is often less that you expect of the claim is declined which happens often. Example, of declining claims, my dog had a sore ear 7 years ago and just before he was insured, 7 years later a claim for an ear infection was declined because it was a 'pre existing condition'. My dogs got kennel cough even after vaccination, that is not covered. Lots of things not covered, beware. And processing claims is very slow and laborious and premiums are stepped which means they increase ever year. Cancelling is another problem, if you pay monthly and make a claim, and then want to cancel rspca insurance will tell you you have to keep paying for the entire year even if you want to cancel. This can amount to hundreds of dollars depending on your premiums. Think again before signing up for rspca pet insurance, or probably any others.

Meesh S.

Meesh S.asked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Before I choose RSPCA injury and illness pet insurance cover, I’m wondering if it will cover consultations and treatment due to a yeast infection in his ear/s?? as he’s prone to them and so is his breed.
Micha & Rocky

Hi Micha & Rocky,
Thank you for reaching out to us with your query. The intention of RSPCA Pet Insurance is to help Cover unforeseen Vet Expenses associated with Pet ownership. However not all expenses are covered. If your pet has experienced yeast infections of the ears prior to the Commencement Date or during any applicable Waiting Period, it may be considered a Pre-existing Condition. Further information is available in our Product Disclosure Statement; https://www.rspcapetinsurance.org.au/RSPCA/media/Documents/rspca-policy-booklet.pdf or alternatively, I can arrange for a team member to contact you. If you would like a call, please send me a private message with your contact details.

L H.

If the pet had anything on the pet record before insured it will be recorded as a pre existing condition for the life of your pet and claims will be declined. There is a process to request removal of pre existing conditions from the insurance but your guess on how likely that is is as good as any.

really consider going ahead with RSPCA I would shop around.

Sue Cooperasked

Hi team
I changed from my previous insurance company who I had been with for over 8 years (with very few claims) as I was unhappy with the changes in my policy and had read so many good reviews about RSPCA.
I had my dog examined by the vet to complete the cruciate ligament form late afternoon on 18 April and posted it the next day (Good Friday) in a post box outside my local post office.
I received a letter dated 5 May saying the form would not be accepted as it was received more than 14 days after examination date and I would have to visit my vet again at my cost and resubmit the form.
I called your office today and was informed the form was received 3 May ... 1 day after the 14 days allowed!
Surely there could be an allowance made for the Easter and Anzac Day public holidays with Australia Post delivery times?
I do not have access to a fax and was only told today that it is possible to email the form (which is not stated on the form).
I’m really not happy with having to pay another examination fee when through no fault of mine the form arrived 24 hours after the designated time frame!
Can you please reconsider before I have to visit the vet tomorrow evening for another examination?

GenevieveC
GenevieveC

I think that your insurance company should pay you as well and do not go to the vet because really, if you can keep your animal in good health, it is better than going to the vet. They only make money and good one at that.

Hi Sue,
Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to learn of your experience when submitting your cruciate ligament form. I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you. Can you please send your policy number in a private message together with your contact number and I will arrange for this to be escalated to our Customer Resolutions Officer.
Tess

Thanks Tess
I’m not sure how to send a PM ?

Get an answer from our members and RSPCA Pet Insurance representatives