4Russell Hobbs Express Chef RHPC1000

Russell Hobbs Express Chef RHPC1000 Questions & Answers (page 2)

VerifiedMPNs:3547, RHB-RHPC1000 and RHPC1000
Anonymous
Anonymous

I have used this a few times and when washing the red float valve seal came off. Has this happened to anyone else? Russell Hobbs say I can order a part to replace however I am afraid it may come off again when cooking. How do I ensure the seal stays on?

Rease

I have never had this happen. I usually just rinse the lid with hot water - I don't ever scrub the float valve. I'm not sure why it falls off for you - I'd get another one and see if that stays on better.

Donna Malone

I cant find a recipe anywhere for curried mince or Chinese mince that has cabbage added towards the end of cooking time, is there one for this?

Rease

My guess is that the cabbage will quick very quickly when added to the curry. You could add the cabbage, then put the lid back on and let it sit for 5-10 mins to cook in the curry, but I wouldn't pressure cook the cabbage - it would probably turn to mush. I will often times add broccoli to a dish and put the lid back on, and 5 -7 mins later the broccoli is cooked perfectly. Just leave it on the "keep warm" setting it automatically sets to when pressure cooking time is over, when the lid is on.

Donna Malone

Thanks Rease but I got it for xmas and have no idea how to use it for any mince dish as the recipe book that came with it is very limited in recipes. Have you cooked a mince dish in yours?

LMMM

The recipe book is useless, just use Instant pot recipes and times.

Panda
Panda

Hi my machine is awesome cooked with the slow cooker however it keeps doing a clicking sound is that normal have never had this with my other slow cooker ?

Rease

It's normal for it to click when cooking. It clicks when on high pressure, also.

Josephine K.
Josephine K.

What is the best setting to simmer on using an express chef digital multi cooker

LMMM

Maybe saute then change to slowcook mode. The saute function gets pretty hot.

Amy

Hi l have used the coker many times as a pressure cooker but today it stayed for an hour on the "heat" function without changing?

Rease

It won’t go to pressure if there is not enough water - what we’re you cooking? Sometimes when I cook pasta it doesn’t come to pressure and I need to add more water.

Amy

It was soaked beans and it had plenty of water

LMMM

Maybe not sealed properly, seal missing or not inserted properly?

Hat

I want to cook a beef/vege stew with pre soaked dried bean mix. what settings do I use please

Rease

If they are small beans, you should be okay to cook 15-20 mins w/the soup. But if they are larger beans, you will need to cook them longer, which might make the veg mushy. You can possibly half-cook the beans first, then add them to the stew to cook the rest of the way.

You can either press the soup button, or, cook on Manual. If the beef is cut up in chunks, I would probably cook it on Manual for 15 minutes (if the beans were cooked half-way already), then let the pressure naturally release. I typically only use the presets for rice and for saute. Everything else, I cook on Manual.

Hat

Thanks for that :) 'Soup' however only cooks on medium and all bean recipes say cook on high. Maybe it just takes a little longer. Also chunks of seared chuck steak I've seen recommended to cook for up to 2 hrs to get really melty and break down all the collegen. Sounds like 'slow cooking' is best? Maybe it's best to do that with the onions, garlic and potatoes and then put the beans and other veges on and press soup for absolute best results. I'm gradually getting the idea anyway. Thanks so much for your help. I used to use an old style pressure cooker for years but that was 40 yrs ago and these 'new fangled' things are a puzzle! Lovely pumpkin soup coming out of it though, yumm

Nimeshe M.
Nimeshe M.

Hi, I've purchased a brand new Russell Hobbs Express Chef RHPC1000 pressure cooker. I managed to get it to work the first day. But now, when I press "White Rice" or "Brown Rice" it keeps blinking.

Is there something I"m missing.

Mark

When using the slow cook setting, do you need to leave the pressure release valve open or do you close it ? I was cooking sweet and sour chicken, it required 8hrs on low - the slow cooker seems to have a temp of 95C so i believe that's low heat. However the chicken at the end of it seemed to burnt like it had been in there way too long. I had the valve closed but am wondering if i should have left it open. I can't find any real info in the book or anywhere else for that matter!

Janelle Carter
Janelle Carter

Mark I have the same question, did you work out what is correct? I'm using it for slow cooking the first time today and thought I should close the vent as normal slow cooking retains all the steam

Mark

The vent seemed to have to be closed else it wouldn't start. But I using the timing on my next recipe as high instead of low. So if it's 8hrs low or 4hrs high. Do it for the 4hrs. Hope that helps!

Sharon

Do I need to add liquid for the slow cooker function?
I'm wanting to slow cook a leg of lamb & in my old slow cooker I would just sit it on a bed of onions & celery etc and the juices from the meat would make up the liquid.

Rease

I don’t believe so - water is required to bring it to high pressure, which doesn’t happen in a slow cooking process.

Sharon

Thank you. I thought as much but didn't want to risk it.

Caro
Caro

if you google recipes, you'll see it needs a small amount of liquid. Usually half of a regular recipe. That small about is to make sure it doesn't burn I think. Once it's heated, the condensation adds to the liquid, hence why you don't use the regular amount.

Sarah L.

Hi. I bought this cooker and it’s great on the different functions but add in a delay start or adjust time and it goes to custard. For example, I put it on curry mode with a 4.5 hour delay start. I expected that the 30 minute curry would be completed at the end of that 4.5 hour period. But I’ve just come home from work at the 1.37 hour to go mark and it’s already cooking!! I have no idea how long for or whether it will go for the entire 1.37 hour period. What on earth.... can anyone shed light on why this happened? Thanks.

Rease

That is very odd. I have only experienced the delay start w/ the Manual function. In that scenario, I set the time in Manual, and then I pressed the "delay start" button, and set the delay time, and then it sets. No issues there. I would check the manual and see if the "delay start" function only works for certain settings? If you figure this out, please let us know!

Sarah L.

Good thought, I checked the instruction book and the delay start is available for all functions except for Slow Cook and Pudding, so it should have worked. This is the second unit I’ve had, had to return the first for same problem - Cooking starting in delay start mode at random times and the adjust time on one setting defaulting ti More instead of Normal. While it’s hard not to get paranoid that I’m doing something wrong, I’ve read the instructions endless times and know I’ve set it right. Maybe it’s a bad batch? Has anyone else had an issue?

Julie G.
Julie G.

Can you adjust the slow cook temp? What is the temp on the cooker as 4 hours in recipes means low and 2 hours is high?

Sarah L.

No I don’t believe you can. The manual says slow cook temp is 95deg so we will need to adjust our cooking time to suit I guess?

Ron

I am looking at doing a recipe 10 hrs slow cooking time. Potatoes, bacon, onions and cheese. No liquid. Just covering everything with baking paper and foil, Is this ok?

Rease

Yes, just make sure you slow cook, not pressure cook, but I’d still put the lid on and check the manual to see if the pressure release seal should be turned to open or closed. Should be fine!

Ron

My recipe calls for 7 hrs on low and 1 hr on high. Where do I cook on high? Is this the manual button?

Rease

This sounds to me like it’s talking about using the slow-cooker settings. The manual setting is for cooking at high pressure, so no, that would not be correct to hit the manual button. There are options on some pressure cookers to slow cook on low and also on high, but I never use the slow cooker settings, so I am not able to help you with that. But, I can assure you the manual button would not be used for slow cooking.

Hi there

I'm really keen to know if the slow cooker temperature is high or low. I tried to make a bolognese using a recipe and it worked fine, but came out very thick and rich. Like it had cooked for too long...

Rease

I'm not sure - so sorry. I never use the slow cook feature - I'm too addicted to the pressure cooker! But, I wanted to suggest perhaps the manual would tell you -- if you don't have it, I'm sure you could find it online?

Lex P.

Thanks Rease. I did try the manual but it's not given me much, and through all my searching I couldn't come up with anything. I may need to contact Russell Hobbs directly, or assume it's always going to be High.
I'll post back here if I come up with anything as I'm sure other people will want to know...

Page 15, slow cook 95C.

Robyn  W
Robyn W

Hi. After finishing the slow cook part and crossed over to keep warm the message says 'EAE' but the 2nd E is not fully formed. What does that mean
Thankyou

Rease

It's supposed to be "EAT!" It means it's ready to EAT. :-)

anita davis
anita davis

can you buy a spare non stick bowl

Jay
Jay

Jill McKay
Jill McKay

What is a C6 error and how do I fix it

scentials100
scentials100

I’m a bit confused about the cooking menu functions listed in the booklet. Firstly it says they’re listed on page 16 it’s not, it’s 15. Secondly I don’t understand the normal cooking time listed for soup. It says 30 mins but normal is listed as 13 mins and more is listed as 18 mins. This is way more complicated than the Breville which I gave to my daughter.

Rease

If it helps at all, I never use any of the preset buttons except for rice. I just set the pressure on manual and decide how long I want to cook it. Most soups I will only cook between 12 - 20 mins. Just depends on what it is. If I have added frozen meat, I would add an additional 5-10 minutes. So, there isn't really a "normal" cooking time that works for all soups. It really depends on what you're cooking, how long you will cook it.

Devi
Devi

Can you open the lid when cooking Chilli Con Carne in slow cooker mode to see if there is enough water. I have set time for 5hrs to show cook.

Rease

Yes, you can take the lid off -- the pot does not go under "pressure" during the slow cook. To be sure there isn't too much steam knocking you in the face, though, before you open the lid, switch the nozzel to "venting" to make sure any excess steam comes out before you take the lid off. There are no issues with taking the lid off if it's not under pressure -- it would be like taking the lid off a pot on the stove.

Gerri T.
Gerri T.

what type of stesmer bowl do i use

Rease

There are many available online - just whatever will fit in the pot!

Get an answer from our members and Russell Hobbs representatives