Russell Hobbs RHSC650

MPN: RHB-RHSC650

7 questions from our users

Sam

Samasked

I have just bought this and used it twice. Love it. I have read things lately about aluminium seeping into ceramic and glazes that contain lead. Would you please advise how safe this is? Thanks

bucaneer
bucaneer

Sam, I have not heard any thing like this, but the Russell Hobbs RHSC650 does not have any ceramics. I also love it with one reservation. It's low setting cooks like high on other cookers I have owned. Instead of 8 hours, mine cooks everything in 3-4 hours. However, the food tastes sensational and the fact that it automatically switches to "keep warm" for the next 10 hours negates it's faster cooking times. My first cooker was cooking fast, so I contacted them and they were wonderful, replacing it in super fast time, but the second one was the same, so I decided to live with it and did not pursue it any further.

Mark in Perth
Mark in Perth

I have the unit in question, and I can say with some certainty that I have no concerns with aluminum mixing with my food nor with lead. I understand the concern with lead poisoning, as I have a minor in chemistry and I would have no problem feeding my extended family from this cooker. The glass lid is, well, pure glass. And the base is what I believe to be non-stick Teflon coated. It runs a bit hotter that your usual slow-cooker, but apart from that it would be an excellent purchase.

Dee
Dee

Hi Sam, I just purchased mine and it is still in the box as I am a little hesitant to use it as I have the same concerns as you. I have recently read that ceramic or ceramic coated bowls, (which this is ceramic coated) when heated to high degrees, which this does can cause lead poisoning. In California they have labelling to determine if you product is safe but unfortunately there is nothing here and most companies obviously just claim they are safe???

Hellokitty9

Hellokitty9asked

Can you dry cook such as making kebabs and or make muffins?

J-Man

Not really. Not enough room for kebabs and muffins need a muffin tin and it’s better using an oven.

Tracyg

Tracygasked

With the timer, does the cooker turn off, or just to warm?

Keeps it warm.

Kangas75

Kangas75asked

Can you set the cooker to start cooking at a pre-set future time?The manual doesn't actually state it can

Blanche R.

No it doesn’t have a feature like that.

Hey.
Only used it the once so haven’t tested other functions. Will have a look later and get back to you.

Cassasked

Do you have to use the timer or can you cook something without timer that takes longer than 10 hours (eg bone broth)? I would like to cook the broth overnight and don't want to have to change the timer.

Dawny

Hi Cass. You can cook anything for as long as you like. Happy cooking!!

Thanks Dawny!

beckwage

beckwageasked

Does anyone have experience with the timer function?
Can you set the timer to go from high to low (eg after 2 hours) then low to keep warm (eg after an additional 6 hours)? My main concern is that I am out of the house for 10 hours but don't want my meat cooking for that long (I'm new to slow cooking!)

Blanche R.

Hi, you can’t set it from Low to high or high to low, but the cooker will automatically switch to ‘keep warm’ once the set time runs out. So you can cook your meat for 4 hours on high and then it will stay warm until you get home. Hope that helps!

Dawny

Hi there. If you are going to cook it for 10 hours, just do it on SLOW. You don't need to change the cooking time at all. I have found long cooking times benefit from being on SLOW. Hope this helps.

Bob

Bobasked

Is the cooking internal Teflon coated pot removal able for browsing meet on the stove hot plate and for washing?

Blanche R.

Hi Bob, I’ve never browned it directly in the pot - just in a frying pan and then tossed it in. This might be a question to send the manufacturer. I hand wash the pan, it’s super non stick so it’s very easy.

Dawny

Hi there. Never use the internal pot on the stove or any where else. It is just meant for inside the slow cooker. Brown your met in a normal fry pan.

Mark30
Mark30

This model has the searing function. Take pot out and use on your gas or electric stove as if a frying pan. After browning place back in unit. (Not suitable for convection electric stoves).
It does tell you this in the promotion and user manual

Get an answer from our members and Russell Hobbs representatives