Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830

Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830 (page 2 of 5)

MPN: OLT1830

• Product is used
    • Weekly (13)
    • Occasionally (8)
  • Grass Type
    • Short grass (13)
    • Tall grass (6)
    • Thick, heavy grass or weeds (4)
  • Safety

Capt Jack

Capt JackWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Has too many issues

Bought this as a package $229 with 5Ah battery - two years and 2 months ago. The auto line feed doesn't work very well as outlined many times in this thread. The battery only lasts 10 mins now - two months out of warranty. It does the job but only barely before the battery dies - still with 2 bars showing. I'm certain that it lasted longer initially. The main issue is with the hit-and-miss Ryobi batteries. Only the 4Ah that I bought 4 yrs ago to replace a 1.4Ah in a blower that died in a few months has performed well. Ryobi don't want to know and I'm sure as hell not spending $149 at bunnings on a new one that is likely to have the same problem.

Purchased in February 2017 at Bunnings Warehouse for $229.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Product is used Weekly
Grass Type Short grass
Geoff93

Geoff93Sydney, NSW

Nearly un-useable

The line auto-feed just does NOT work. The line is so thin and weak
that it breaks off very quickly, and does not auto-feed, so you have to stop
and press the feed button next to the spool, on the actual head - dangerous ...
and if the line breaks off altogether (as it does not auto-feed), you have to pull
the cover off the head and re-spool it. Also, the line seems to get caught on the spool,
so even the feed button won't work then.

Purchased in May 2018.

MarpaSydney

Good, lite, quiet.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Battery Whipper Snippers

Find out how Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830 compares to other Battery Whipper Snippers

Vevean Morkos

Vevean MorkosMelbourne

Fantastic trimmer

The trimmer is such a great product. Noise level is low, it's super light so makes it easy to cut my grass. It runs for a good time for me to finish my yard that's a reasonable size. I would buy this product over and over again. Would definitely recommend.

AnnB

AnnBSydney, NSW

Love the idea of this range, but removing the battery can be problematic if you have small hands

With no other real need for a lawn mower, I purchased this to keep the nature strip looking tidy. No cords or fuel to mess about with, its a great little unit.

My only issue is getting the battery off as my female hands are not big enough to reach the release buttons at the same time, (which are located on either side of the battery).

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Twig

TwigDapto

Love this soo much

I bought this because my hubby can no longer do the yard, needed something quite, light, and easy to use. ticks all the boxes, don't have a big yard but a lot of edgy area. the best thing is I don't have to fiddle with line and getting all tangled up with it...just pop in the fresh spool and good to go. love it so much I had an electric blower but did't like getting it out as much because of the cords so I just bought myself the blower as well. So ladies out there if you are the one that has to or likes to do the lawns..good value product. just done mine now.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Flyby

FlybyNSW, 2456

Works really well

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Sameer W

Sameer WSydney

Excellent Line Trimmer

A really nice cordless line trimmer which does the job really well. Bought this with a blower in a combo pack from Bunnings and I am really happy with the purchase. The auto feed line system works really well. Lasts about 45mins on a full charge of 4.0ah battery which in my opinion is enough for decently sized lawns. I strongly recommend this product.

Regular consumer

Regular consumerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great cordless line trimmer

Chook

ChookMelbourne

Really impressed with this whipper snipper and the blower is great!

Recently purchased in a combo pack with the blower + 4.0Ah battery kit from Bunnings.
I'm extremely impressed with this unit! It's lightweight, easy to maneuver and is quite powerful.
I have a smaller sized yard and let the back grow out of control, so I wasn't sure if this whipper snipper would be able to cut through all the overgrown mess but it sliced through it quite easily! Even with it only having a single line rather than dual lines.
Battery lasts for more than a half hour, able to do the front and back yard without swapping out the battery. Also charging time is quite quick..
As for the blower, I love it. It's also very light and easy to use and moves little stones and debris easily.
Combo kit is really great value IMHO!

the best whipper snipper

I use this whipper snipper almost every day. I’m a gardener, so it’s weight suits me, and it’s currently over 5 years old. It’s lightweight and the adjustable head makes it easy to do a perfect lawn edge. I use it for more than though, including clearing light weeds and cleaning paving.
The only issue I’ve had is with the line feed. If the line isn’t loaded properly it stops the auto feed working. A new roll usually puts an end to the issue

Date PurchasedApr 2013
hal55

hal55Hunter Region, NSW

Great whipper snipper for light use, small yards.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
IanJames

IanJamesSydney

Perfect

Trimmer is perfect for my large garden. Just different to petrol trimmer. Feed works fine. A bit slower to cut edges but time is saved not having to buy petrol, fiddle with motor and refuel. Would buy again. String seems to last ok but is only single line rather than two lines.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Ben

BenBrisbane

Useless

Can't do a metre without having to stop, pull it apart and reset the line. Auto feed doesn't seem to work - would have been better off with a manual one. Generally like the Ryobi tools but this one is more than frustrating. Have tried with Ryobi branded line and aftermarket - I think the latter is a little better.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Jennings

JenningsGeorgetown

Auto feed stops working almost right away

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Ryobi
Ryobi T.Ryobi
Battery Whipper Snippers

Not up to RYOBI standard-totally under powered

This line trimmer is just NOT good enough when compared to all other RYOBI work tools. I only have a small yard & thought this would be OK. Will try and list ALL design shortcomings. 1 Grossly underpowerd. 2 Can not see where cutting due to position of guard. 3 Cannot adjust guard. 4 Ergonomically bad design-can't quite hold the trimmer in a comfortable position. 5 Stone guard keeps catching on grass. 6 Line breaks off only seconds after the last fix. 7 Cassette is difficult to get opened. 8 Auto line feed is not auto. Not happy.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Mogs

MogsDevon

Strimmer

This is the worse strimmer I have ever had back to black and decker for me the line breaks ever couple of minutes and it so hard to pull the yellow thing apart to get more line out my husband said get Ryobi it’s a really good make rubbish it’s so hard to keep getting the line out my husband found it hard to take apart so a woman has no chance stick to tools Ryobi your no good with garden stuff lol

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Mumma

MummaBrisbane

No hassle to use and start! I love it!

I bought this a few months ago after giving up trying to start the old petrol line trimmer and can’t believe it took me so long to upgrade. It is so easy to start and use and does a fantastic job. I had literally been cutting the edges of my lawn with secateurs in frustration at not being able to start the petrol line trimmer. With much less effort I can now keep my edges neat and tidy.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Stopped working after 13 months

I used the trimmer for about 5 minutes when it stopped. I thought the battery needed recharging. After recharging the battery, it worked for about 30 seconds. Again, I thought it was the battery. I attached the same battery to another tool. The other tool worked fine. So, clearly not the battery. Is it repairable? I have a small yard that I use only to trim 1-2x a month. It shouldn't have died after 13 months. I'm glad I didn't through out my corded trimmer. From reading these other reviews, this product is junk.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good light duty whippersnipper

Had mine a good 4 or 5 years now. Its a good trimmer if you have a normal lawn. If you've got 3and 4 foot long weeds in your yard your probably better off with a petrol one. This WILL do it but with only the one piece of line it won't be as efficient, the twistable shaft makes it easier for edging too. Nice and light and very quiet., If you're in the Ryobi one system, it's even better.

Date PurchasedJun 2013
See all Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830 reviews

Jackie

Jackieasked

I have only used this once or twice and it's not working at all ,I thought it was the charger so I purchased a new one,but it still isn't working,how could I tell if it's the battery or strimmer that's not working ? Thanks

Claire Bear

do you have another battery you can try to see if it is the trimmer not working? If not take it back to Bunnings as it will be under warranty. Remember to take your receipt as proof of purchase (date)

Barry
Barry

Claire Bear is on the right track but i would get my money back this is not a good
trimmer.

Carol M.

Carol M.asked

Can you use any size line

Ms Green thumb
Ms Green thumb

There are replacement spools for your trimmer.
Model #RAC1211

Moni
Moni

the trimmer line is difficult to lengthen. I am pretty disappointed with the line trimmer

Claire Bear

no you must purchase a new spool with line on it - comes in a pack of 3 from Bunnings for $20

Catherine N.

Catherine N.asked

my line trimmer just stopped while I was using it only 2 weeks old. what is the problem?

AJ59
AJ59

Check & charge your battery, all failing return it

Two possibilities -
1 the battery needs recharging - either recharge or replace the battery with a fully charged one.
2 the battery could of over heated. It will not work if it gets too hot so let it cool down and try again later.
If these do not solve the problem return it too the store.

Get an answer from our members and Ryobi representatives

Download manual