Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830

Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830 (page 2 of 4)

See the Best Battery Whipper Snippers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Strimmer

This is the worse strimmer I have ever had back to black and decker for me the line breaks ever couple of minutes and it so hard to pull the yellow thing apart to get more line out my husband said get Ryobi it’s a really good make rubbish it’s so hard to keep getting the line out my husband found it hard to take apart so a woman has no chance stick to tools Ryobi your no good with garden stuff lol

Date PurchasedJul 2017

No hassle to use and start! I love it!

I bought this a few months ago after giving up trying to start the old petrol line trimmer and can’t believe it took me so long to upgrade. It is so easy to start and use and does a fantastic job. I had literally been cutting the edges of my lawn with secateurs in frustration at not being able to start the petrol line trimmer. With much less effort I can now keep my edges neat and tidy.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Stopped working after 13 months

I used the trimmer for about 5 minutes when it stopped. I thought the battery needed recharging. After recharging the battery, it worked for about 30 seconds. Again, I thought it was the battery. I attached the same battery to another tool. The other tool worked fine. So, clearly not the battery. Is it repairable? I have a small yard that I use only to trim 1-2x a month. It shouldn't have died after 13 months. I'm glad I didn't through out my corded trimmer. From reading these other reviews, this product is junk.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good light duty whippersnipper

Had mine a good 4 or 5 years now. Its a good trimmer if you have a normal lawn. If you've got 3and 4 foot long weeds in your yard your probably better off with a petrol one. This WILL do it but with only the one piece of line it won't be as efficient, the twistable shaft makes it easier for edging too. Nice and light and very quiet., If you're in the Ryobi one system, it's even better.

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Rather use scissors

This is the worst thing I've ever used then line breaks all the time which is so annoying and cut cut through the tough stuff. It is useless. Considering buying a petrol one soon to save buy sanity. Save your money don't buy this model. And the line melts to itself on the spool if it gets to hot.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Line feed system not good

Battery lasts well, and is easy to use, but have found that the auto feed for the line does not seem to work (i have to stop the unit and manually feed line using the manual release button on the spool), and the line continuously breaks when trimming the lawn edge. The manufacturer's Instructions specify 1.6mm line, but I have tried it with 2mm line wihich seems much more effective at trimming my tough kikuyu lawn. Not sure if the use of 2mm line is safe or could damage the unit, so try at your own risk, and wear safety googles!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great Product

I always request bunnings vouchers for my gifts, this last purchase of the battery operated whipped snipper is amazing. Im short so the petrol one was hard to handle, the electric one was painful to have to plug into power, this one is light and easy to use. Did my son-in-laws whole section in 15 minutes.

Reasonably priced, works well

It's a relatively new purchase - it's been used my partner twice and it's worked well. The wires can be replaced by a generic one that is compatible with the price. Bunnings had sale on a combo kit (with a blower). Because it's battery run, it's so easy to use.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great for light work!

Great for a small yard and goes forever with the 5amp battery. Line would be great if it was slightly heavier as it regularly wears and needs reloading. The line is purchased on spools in packs of 3 so not the cheapest replacement line around. Still love that it if part of my 18v system.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Makes trimming a pleasure!

I changed over from a clunky, heavy, pain-in-the-neck-to-start, constantly line breaking, never-fed-line-properly, petrol trimmer a few months ago - to this Ryobi battery one. Its a breeze to use, my 4.0 AH battery will last at least 45 minutes of trimming and get this... the auto feed actually works!

Can't believe that I put up with the petrol one for so long. My garden edges are neat and tidy now and I actually look forward to giving things a quick trim - as its no longer such a headache and I can start and finish without having to stop all of the time to fix the line.

Perfect for all seasons

Awesome electric silent ( compared to petrol) machine. Neighbours will wonder how you trimmed your garden so neat...
Batteries are long lasting , one can leave in shed for a while without discharge to flat.....
And are interchangeable with other tools in the ryobi range....can’t fault it. Well recommended....5 stars

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Very good product. Working well for over a year

Great light weight tool. I only have a small garden so it's perfect. Has been very reliable and easy to use. I have tried it at larger country properties and it can be a little underpowered but for city gardens it's great. I would recommend 2 batteries of the 4a or 5a type so you don't need to worry about running out of charge.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Great for small jobs

So far so good - i've used it maybe 10-15 times and haven't had to replace the line yet!
It's quite light as well - my girlfriend has no trouble using it.
It's suitable for trimming along footpath edges, fences, trees, paving and garden edges. I wouldn't use it for anything massively overgrown though.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Fantastic

This is so easy and light to use, the battery lasts for a long time cutting is very good, love that you can let out the line so easy, simple to use. The first time we have considered a battery whipper snipper and it’s wonderful. Would recommend this to the gardener who wants more time to spend on the important things, no more manual labour........

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Perfect !

Got one from bumming work d great ! Once had issue with reel showed to Bunnings they were not able to fix so replaced it with new one ! Does Great job .. happy with the results .. would highly recommend this product it’s simple to use for a newbie too !

Date PurchasedJul 2017

They have done it again

Yes they have done it again, another fantastic Riobi product. They just keep producing tools that are an invaluable asset and take the hard work out of work.
I have never used a whipper snipper before so it made sense already having the batteries to buy another Riobi product. Purchased at Bunnings for $109, brought it home, out of the box and off to work.
I have very large garden and at first was a little dubious that it might not do the job as not the same grunt as a petrol trimmer.
This is a real girl's tool, light weight which was imperative for me, adjustable handle, easy to change depending on whether you are working on the up or down side of a slope. Easy turn for perfect lawn edges then back for general cutting.
You can buy the refills for the line, I was sold the wrong one (for a different model with a larger cartridge) however if you doubt mind winding them on to the existing cartridge it is actually much cheaper this way. About $18 will get you 6 refills.
My recommendation is go and get one, so cheap, effective and above all lightweight for ready use. I love this product.

Fantastic product

This was my first Ryobi purchase in the collection, now called my Ryobi family, absolutely brilliant, very light weight and easy to manage. Does a great job and easy to extend the cutting wire and add new. I liked it so much that I now have the mower, blower, and hedge trimmer added to the collection. Highly recommend the Ryobi one plus products and also the fantastic 6 year warranty is brilliant, not to mention the ability to register the products online in your own Ryobi tool box, upload the receipt and serial numbers, brilliant idea. love it.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Light weight, easy to use.

I love this edger, we used to own a petrol own, but I didn’t like that we had fuel sitting around when not in use.
Since getting this, I can now easily do the edges and finish of my lawns as it’s very light weight and easy to use. Plus I live that it comes with a 6 year warranty as well.

Love it

My hubby bought this for me and it is awesome,we are on 1/2 acre with quite few trees to snip around and find I’ve still got enough battery charge left to go around what I’ve missed. It’s great at edging along the driveway as well.no messing around with petrol which is great. I love the fact you don’t have to bash it on ground to get more cord. Very happy with this product

Budget , but capable.

As long as you arent trying to mow the lawn with it, its pretty good. No More Petrol mixing and mess. I only have a small lawn, so its good for doing the naturestip and curb edging. Will push through thick dirt and grass if given time.
A bit hard to see where its cutting when you use it in Edging mode, with the Steel guide extended. I use the other ryobi 18v's so handy.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Many say the automatic line feeder does not work
Mine used to work sometimes and not at others. Lately I've noticed that it works better than previously and that it seems to perform better with a good battery. The battery that came with the trimmer (5Ah) is a dud and is failing after just two years (outside the 2 yr warranty). When I use the old 4Ah battery(that I had to buy 4 yrs ago to replace a dud 1.4Ah battery that came with a blower) it spins the trimmer at a higher speed and it works fine. So, I figure that Ryobi puts their reject batteries into their packages such as line trimmers/shears/blowers/etc and keeps the batteries that pass their certification as separate sale items at higher prices (eg $150 for a new 5Ah batt as opposed to a package of trimmer, 5Ah batt and charger for $229). So if your line is not auto feeding then try using it with a good battery not the one that came in the package.

how to remove head and replace line

I have replaced the trimming line but it keeps 'autofeeding' and is too long. Is there something I have missed? Or does the line have to be a specific type? Amanda
i expect you have not wound the line correctly probably too loose

18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830