Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830

Ryobi 18V One+ Line Trimmer OLT1830 (page 2 of 5)

MPN: OLT1830

See the Best Battery Whipper Snippers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Regular consumer

Regular consumerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great cordless line trimmer

Chook

ChookMelbourne

Really impressed with this whipper snipper and the blower is great!

Recently purchased in a combo pack with the blower + 4.0Ah battery kit from Bunnings.
I'm extremely impressed with this unit! It's lightweight, easy to maneuver and is quite powerful.
I have a smaller sized yard and let the back grow out of control, so I wasn't sure if this whipper snipper would be able to cut through all the overgrown mess but it sliced through it quite easily! Even with it only having a single line rather than dual lines.
Battery lasts for more than a half hour, able to do the front and back yard without swapping out the battery. Also charging time is quite quick..
As for the blower, I love it. It's also very light and easy to use and moves little stones and debris easily.
Combo kit is really great value IMHO!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

the best whipper snipper

I use this whipper snipper almost every day. I’m a gardener, so it’s weight suits me, and it’s currently over 5 years old. It’s lightweight and the adjustable head makes it easy to do a perfect lawn edge. I use it for more than though, including clearing light weeds and cleaning paving.
The only issue I’ve had is with the line feed. If the line isn’t loaded properly it stops the auto feed working. A new roll usually puts an end to the issue

Date PurchasedApr 2013
hal55

hal55Hunter Region, NSW

Great whipper snipper for light use, small yards.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

IanJames

IanJamesSydney

Perfect

Trimmer is perfect for my large garden. Just different to petrol trimmer. Feed works fine. A bit slower to cut edges but time is saved not having to buy petrol, fiddle with motor and refuel. Would buy again. String seems to last ok but is only single line rather than two lines.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Ben

BenBrisbane

Useless

Can't do a metre without having to stop, pull it apart and reset the line. Auto feed doesn't seem to work - would have been better off with a manual one. Generally like the Ryobi tools but this one is more than frustrating. Have tried with Ryobi branded line and aftermarket - I think the latter is a little better.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Jennings

JenningsGeorgetown

Auto feed stops working almost right away

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Ryobi
Ryobi T.Ryobi

Not up to RYOBI standard-totally under powered

This line trimmer is just NOT good enough when compared to all other RYOBI work tools. I only have a small yard & thought this would be OK. Will try and list ALL design shortcomings. 1 Grossly underpowerd. 2 Can not see where cutting due to position of guard. 3 Cannot adjust guard. 4 Ergonomically bad design-can't quite hold the trimmer in a comfortable position. 5 Stone guard keeps catching on grass. 6 Line breaks off only seconds after the last fix. 7 Cassette is difficult to get opened. 8 Auto line feed is not auto. Not happy.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Mogs

MogsDevon

Strimmer

This is the worse strimmer I have ever had back to black and decker for me the line breaks ever couple of minutes and it so hard to pull the yellow thing apart to get more line out my husband said get Ryobi it’s a really good make rubbish it’s so hard to keep getting the line out my husband found it hard to take apart so a woman has no chance stick to tools Ryobi your no good with garden stuff lol

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Mumma

MummaBrisbane

No hassle to use and start! I love it!

I bought this a few months ago after giving up trying to start the old petrol line trimmer and can’t believe it took me so long to upgrade. It is so easy to start and use and does a fantastic job. I had literally been cutting the edges of my lawn with secateurs in frustration at not being able to start the petrol line trimmer. With much less effort I can now keep my edges neat and tidy.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Stopped working after 13 months

I used the trimmer for about 5 minutes when it stopped. I thought the battery needed recharging. After recharging the battery, it worked for about 30 seconds. Again, I thought it was the battery. I attached the same battery to another tool. The other tool worked fine. So, clearly not the battery. Is it repairable? I have a small yard that I use only to trim 1-2x a month. It shouldn't have died after 13 months. I'm glad I didn't through out my corded trimmer. From reading these other reviews, this product is junk.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good light duty whippersnipper

Had mine a good 4 or 5 years now. Its a good trimmer if you have a normal lawn. If you've got 3and 4 foot long weeds in your yard your probably better off with a petrol one. This WILL do it but with only the one piece of line it won't be as efficient, the twistable shaft makes it easier for edging too. Nice and light and very quiet., If you're in the Ryobi one system, it's even better.

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Zoe

ZoeAdelaide

Rather use scissors

This is the worst thing I've ever used then line breaks all the time which is so annoying and cut cut through the tough stuff. It is useless. Considering buying a petrol one soon to save buy sanity. Save your money don't buy this model. And the line melts to itself on the spool if it gets to hot.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

John M

John M

Line feed system not good

Battery lasts well, and is easy to use, but have found that the auto feed for the line does not seem to work (i have to stop the unit and manually feed line using the manual release button on the spool), and the line continuously breaks when trimming the lawn edge. The manufacturer's Instructions specify 1.6mm line, but I have tried it with 2mm line wihich seems much more effective at trimming my tough kikuyu lawn. Not sure if the use of 2mm line is safe or could damage the unit, so try at your own risk, and wear safety googles!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Jo Collins

Jo CollinsQueensland, 4560

Great Product

I always request bunnings vouchers for my gifts, this last purchase of the battery operated whipped snipper is amazing. Im short so the petrol one was hard to handle, the electric one was painful to have to plug into power, this one is light and easy to use. Did my son-in-laws whole section in 15 minutes.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
S. IKEUCHI

S. IKEUCHI

Reasonably priced, works well

It's a relatively new purchase - it's been used my partner twice and it's worked well. The wires can be replaced by a generic one that is compatible with the price. Bunnings had sale on a combo kit (with a blower). Because it's battery run, it's so easy to use.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Timbo

TimboHervey Bay

Great for light work!

Great for a small yard and goes forever with the 5amp battery. Line would be great if it was slightly heavier as it regularly wears and needs reloading. The line is purchased on spools in packs of 3 so not the cheapest replacement line around. Still love that it if part of my 18v system.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Greg

GregSydney, NSW

Makes trimming a pleasure!

I changed over from a clunky, heavy, pain-in-the-neck-to-start, constantly line breaking, never-fed-line-properly, petrol trimmer a few months ago - to this Ryobi battery one. Its a breeze to use, my 4.0 AH battery will last at least 45 minutes of trimming and get this... the auto feed actually works!

Can't believe that I put up with the petrol one for so long. My garden edges are neat and tidy now and I actually look forward to giving things a quick trim - as its no longer such a headache and I can start and finish without having to stop all of the time to fix the line.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

EDWIN POWER

EDWIN POWEROallen

Perfect for all seasons

Awesome electric silent ( compared to petrol) machine. Neighbours will wonder how you trimmed your garden so neat...
Batteries are long lasting , one can leave in shed for a while without discharge to flat.....
And are interchangeable with other tools in the ryobi range....can’t fault it. Well recommended....5 stars

Date PurchasedMar 2016

JBro

JBroMELBOURNE

Very good product. Working well for over a year

Great light weight tool. I only have a small garden so it's perfect. Has been very reliable and easy to use. I have tried it at larger country properties and it can be a little underpowered but for city gardens it's great. I would recommend 2 batteries of the 4a or 5a type so you don't need to worry about running out of charge.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

John T. Fieldasked

My first spool has been exhausted. It is 18v lithium battery driven model. Where can I find a utube demonstration of installing a replacement spool ?

John T. Field

He used is intelligent mind and found the answer for himself.

Karl W.

Karl W.asked

My ryobi cordless line trimmer - only used 4 or 5 times - will start spinning but immediately stops spinning when put to work. There's action going on in the shaft but the head won't spin. Can anyone please advise?

Jonesy4567
Jonesy4567

Take it back. It has a one year warranty

JMSasked

Unknown to me the spool cover fell apart while I was using it. I realised what had happened when I stopped it to see what the strange noise was. I had a new one but before I replaced it I had to clean some cut grass away a a small spring fell out of the part where the spool goes but I don't know where it came from to replace it. Any ideas please??? thanks.

acerace
acerace

Yes, I had look at mine. The push button/slide piece to release more string slides in when u push it in. Behind/under that slide piece is a small spring that returns the slide/ button., You may need to fiddle with it a bit and put that spring back in.Good luck u should be ok. Worst thing Ryobi should/could sell u a new spool. I have another brand machine and bought on Ebay a new spool $15.00.
Peter

JMS

I had worked out that it belonged to that button but I can’t work out where the spring goes. A photo of where it goes would be useful please. As I said I have a new spool and the cap cover thing. A rather poorly designed part as far as I’m concerned. This is my 3 rd one in 4 years!

Get an answer from our members and Ryobi representatives

CategoryBattery Whipper Snippers