Ryobi 18V One+ Pole Pruner OPP1820

Ryobi 18V One+ Pole Pruner OPP1820 (page 2 of 2)

MPN: OPP1820
See the Best Hedge Trimmers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Ryobi

Gazajr
GazajrGladstone

Where have you been all my life.

Awesome. Purchased this little beauty a couple of weeks ago and gave it a flogging on the weekend. Mum has a large Jacaranda tree in her back yard. This saw gave me access from the ground and ripped the thing to pieces easy as. Green branches up to 150mm were a breeze and as I had a hedge trimmer with the same extension poles, I added another that gave me access to around 4m in height. 3 ute loads in minutes. The thing is still brand new so the longevity of the product is unknown at this point.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Fiona292
Fiona292Canberra

Does the job but not as easily as I’d hoped.

The pruner has a central extension that you can remove, I can only use it in the shorter version as it’s pretty top heavy, the male in the house has less difficulty but agrees that it’s not well balanced. I can see so many ways to better design this tool, it’s a shame Ryobi missed the opportunity. Regardless, it does the job well and runs fairly quietly.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Heath
HeathBrisbane

Surprisingly Capable.

I purchased the Ryobi Pole Pruner to tame all that was difficult to reach in a Queensland yard. The product is a surprisingly capable little pruner. As others have mentioned, it does have a drinking problem. Do keep bar oil by side. And like all chainsaw the chain does require regular sharpening to perform well. Very happy with the purchase, ideal for domestic pruning purposes.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Trev
Trevbrisbane

Oil leak problem solved.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hedge Trimmers

Find out how Ryobi 18V One+ Pole Pruner OPP1820 compares to other Hedge Trimmers

bzyb
bzybaustralia

Easy to use and manage , some disappointments.

Uses a lot of chain bar oil, this runs down the handle and dips out the front of the chain,,,, The chain requires tighten/adjusting often... only had the pruner 3 weeks appears to need a new chain I will check with my local Bunnings store next week,.. Easy to use and manage handles the pruning I need to do well, battery has good life .Lady gardener..

Date PurchasedNov 2017
tom.redcama
tom.redcamaAlbany, Western Australia

Bloomin’ Marvelous

Used to top prune Pepper tree. I couldn’t use chain saw due to weight and inability to manoeuvre . Climbed up tree and used shortest length. This pole saw was perfect for the job and chewed through 6 inches diam branches with ease. On ground added additional poles and finished the job. Very pleased with the result. Light weight, sharp chain, good ergonomics. Just keep the chain sharp and connections tight.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Nomi
NomiMelbourne

Works perfectly!

I've used this many times, on my farm and at my parents cutting branches with ~diameter of 120mm and it's never let me down.
Even the 2.5Ah lasts long enough to do a decent amount of pruning.. (Just drain the chain oil when done)
Beats taking the petrol one out.

IMHO it's fantastic.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Stevomelbourne

Great pruner

Very effective pruner/lopper. Good battery life if you by a decent size battery, enough to do most domestic work.

Only some small negatives.

Oil provided with the unit was very thin and seemed to leak through the unit very quickly. Thicker chain oil slowed that down a lot.

Ours needs regular adjustment (every 15 mins or so) to keep the chain tight.

User manual treats customers like morons and uses cartoons/diagrams with zero wriiten instruction. Cheap for Ryobi I guess but useless to help maintain the item properly.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Stevo

Just a small follow up comment after some further use. The chain adjustment issues was just the user, it stays fine now and I just adjust it once if needed before each use.

billdunk
billdunkNSW, 2484

Disappointing durability

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

No chain file supplied

Would have got 5 stars if the sharpening file was included. The Manual does not indicate what file size either? 5/32" or 3/16" or 7/32"... so makes a purchase difficult. What size file please? Otherwise, works well and is recommended for small jobs. some plastic looks a bit feeble, but I haven't broken anything yet.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Yarg
Yarg

It seems highly unlikely that 9,985 people could have read this review and not one has made a comment?

DanBrisbane

Definitely money well spent

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Dan

Update: I have used this tool now many times since purchase and I wouldn't be without it. It must have saved me hundreds of dollars in being able to do the jobs myself. Absolutely loving it.

Ol codger
Ol codgerAdelaide

Well worth the money

Date PurchasedJune 2016

johnkillcare
johnkillcare

Don't buy if you want to add attachments

Bought this product which works quite well, however I went to buy the pole hedge trimmer attachment and was told I can only buy complete kit which I would have ended up with 2 lots of batteries, two charges, 2 sets of extendible poles all of which I didn't need. Ryobi falsely advertise that the fact you can buy separate attachments. Was advised by Bunnings that the cheap brand "ozito" supplies attachments for their products separately. I don't think I will buy Ryobi again.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
rob
rob

disappointing

a well balanced unit - initially it was excellent but the gloss soon wore off ,cutting speed was good --,the cutting head came loose - wobbles ,, the screws are as tight as they can be done [2] ,, the battery pack has lost about 30% of its capacity after about 100 cycles ,, i have not tried another brand ,

RJ
RJSydney, NSW

I've owned this chainsaw for about a year. Much better than my previous 18V machine. The angle is perfect, and it has plenty of power. Also light enough to use vertically (or close to) with full extension. I typically cut branches 100m diameter in about 15 seconds. I live on an acre with lots of trees, and this does some serious trimming.

Michael
Michael

Excellent but Heavy

Leanne
Leanne

I feel safe in using this product vs another type of chain-saw

I love this piece of garden equipment. It's getting plenty of use. I've been able to prune tall palm trees and even helped an elderly Aunty who has (or rather had) a massive pine tree overhanging into her back yard. It's paid for itself a couple of time already (vs getting a handy-man to do the job). I feel safe using it (vs the old electric one which will shortly get heave-ho).
I wish I were a little stronger in the wrists to manoeuvre it a little better (I'm in my mid 50's).
Thank you Ryobi for this quality product.

Jason
JasonNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Gets the job done...

I've had this tool for about a year now and it's managed to do everything I've asked of it.

My only complaints are small ones;
a) it does get clogged up easily if you hit a leafy part of the tree or bush but it's pretty simple to clean out and get running again.
b) battery life isn't great, even with the larger 4.0Ah battery, but for my small yard this isn't a huge issue either.

All up, it's definitely a lot easier than pulling out a ladder and firing up the chainsaw for fairly small jobs.

MetalGodzHunter Region, NSW

Product cuts well - short battery life.

I've only had it a few days. I just used it for the 1st time, and is a lot easier/safer to use than my petrol chainsaw. It's good that it came with oil. The front buckle, however broke off, and I retrieved all pieces except the small screw/bolt. I have contacted Ryobi. I don't see the point in taking it back for one minor screw/bolt
light. easy to use. came with oil.
Short battery life, compared to other Ryobi tools.

MetalGodz

The 4Amp Li-Ion battery makes a massive difference, compared to the normal ones.

gogofaster
gogofasterSydney

Perfect for a small backyard

I have a 700 sqm block with a large number of hedges, pine trees, palms etc. The pruner has been invaluable in pruning branches. I used to do it by hand and this has cut my pruning time greatly. I have even cut up a tree about 20 cm wide. I have the smaller battery and that has been more than sufficient. I have not had to recharge the battery during a pruning session lasting about 1-2 hours. Not sure what is the running time as I did not time it. I have jammed it a couple of times but its easy to clear and to put the chain back on. The only issue is that if there is any oil left over it can leak when stored standing up.
Light, sharp, quick