Ryobi RLM18X36L40

• Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Battery Life

Surprisingly good

I bought this because I have a bunch of other Ryobi tools that do the job fine. I wasn't expecting it to perform as well as it does. Cuts better than my old petrol Victa and because it's lighter it glides over soft sections of long grass and doesn't bog down and brown/kill it. Nice and light to manuver and you could have a conversation while using it. I was attacking quite long lawn and didn't realise it has a mulch feature so the first pass I did was at full height. Looked in the catcher to Find no clippings.... Read the manual after using it and then removed the mulch "plug". Dropped it down a few clicks and went over the lawn again and it's come up beautiful. I have about 120 sq/m and it handled it no problems at all.

Purchased in July 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$399.00.

Steve

Steve

Disappointing

I bought this mover in 2017 for my quite small patch of grass. It's never managed to do the whole patch on a single charge, and it frequently stalls even if the grass is only slightly long. It has deteriorated over time and now is almost useless.

Purchased in November 2017 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$399.00.

Barry

Works better than expected. Light and efficient.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$399.00.

Product is usedOccasionally
Battery Lawn Mowers

Find out how Ryobi RLM18X36L40 compares to other Battery Lawn Mowers

Rachelle

RachelleSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not enough power and battery doesn’t last enough for 170sq meters despite box says up to 350sq meters

This mower is supposed to be for up to 350 sq meter of grass. I have 170 sq meters and the battery dies. It takes 2 additional recharges for me to finish mowing my lawn. I mow every week so it’s not like I let it grow too long. Frustrating part is I asked for help at Bunnings when I bought this and told the lady everything about my grass...type, square meters, etc and she told me this would be fine for it. Today I rang Bunnings and the man told me he would never recommend anything with an 18V 4.0Ah battery as they don’t have enough power. Tomorrow I go and swap over my mower for the 36V. Let’s hope this one is better or I’ll be getting a full refund and going with a Masport mower.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$399.00.

Matty

MattyHunter Region, NSW

Awesome better than i could imagine

I bought this for my 60yr old mother with some reservations being battery powered cause she had no hope of using the petrol mower and after 1 year i see i was a fool i should of got it a long time ago its great she can use it and the battery has enough in it for the edger and blower. To be honest i have been known to borrow it on occasions. You cant go wrong with this mower.

Purchased in February 2018 at bunnings for A$350.00.

BPg

BPgGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very convenient but not great for long grass

With a 5mha battery, I can cut my entire lawn 90sqm, and switch to my edge trimmer to trim all my edges AND still have enough juice for a decent clean up blow with my my blower! BUT: it doesnt have enough power to cut long grass, so I may have to start on level 3 then go round again on level 2 if I want shorter grass!

Purchased in October 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$300.00.

Sam

SamSydney, NSW

good mowers

easy to use, one battery lasts 15 mins, cann't cut long grass.first bought Nov 2017, but someday it not worked, changed for a brand new one at May 2018, worked well since then

ricdanger

ricdangerGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Was a great lightweight easy to store mower. Now it's dead

Original Review:
I use a 5 Amp/Hr Li-Ion battery and after 30 minutes I can still unplug it and use it on other tools. The mower's not powerful, it's meant for maintenance cutting - nothing beats a stinky 2-stroke for smashing through weeds. But it really does the job and is simple to handle, folds away nicely and takes up little space. Had one issue with the folding mechanism but just put some tension in the handle frame by bending it a bit and now it's perfect again.
Update:
The mower died (no power) after 10 months. Couldn't find the receipt for refund so now I'm stuck with a useless piece of plastic. My fault for not keeping receipt, but unlike a 2 stroke, people don't want to service them.

Purchased in December 2017.

Retired_landscaper

Retired_landscaperGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Perfect for my lawn - convenient, light, easy, quality

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Battery Lawn Mowers

Find out how Ryobi RLM18X36L40 compares to other Battery Lawn Mowers

Aaron

Aaronasked

Has anyone used this mower for couch grass. I am ready to buy if anyone could recommend for couch

Barry

Only the depth of the grass matters. If your grass is knee high, it will stop and not cut it. It’s not a petrol mower in this situation. However, if your grass is exceedingly long you should still be able to get it cut by going forward a small amount at a time and then pulling back befor going forward again. I’d try it on very long grass this way, myself. However, it’s fine for any normal length of grass, if unsure, try it on its highest setting first and see what happens!

omegatoo

omegatooasked

Regarding the Ryobi Lawn Mower RLM18X36L40: The mower IS NOT catching the grass at all. I've check the positioning of the catcher, and everytime it's totally empty... No cuttings in it at all? Anybody else with the same problem?
I also find the mower struggles if the grass is a bit long and/or if the grass is wet, even on a #2 setting and sometimes just dies.

#2 setting is very low for any mower, let alone bagging. If the grass is wet, any mower struggles to bag or cut well (even petrol). When it is wet it is never a good time to cut. If the unit is cutting out in dry grass, make sure you are using the bigger pack 4.0 or higher and it's not 30 plus degrees out... batteries can overheat and wont work to protect themselves.

For baggin, if you aren't catching ANYTHING... check if you have a Mulching plug in there? With the unit off, If you take the bag off and look in the rear door, can you see the blade/ grass under the mower?

If the grass is long, raise it up higher. Cutting higher is healthier for lawns. Just cut on 4 or 5. The higher setting allows more air for better bagging clippings. It also prevents sun burns, traps moisture, chokes out weeds, and stays greener.

Barry

The mulching plug is the black plastic section with a vertical square cross-section handle you can see when you open the flap at the back. Grip the handle and pull towards you and the whole thing slides towards you. The manual is absolutely useless and doesn't even mention the muncher bit. Good luck.

Katherine A.
Katherine A.

Oh my gosh thank you so much for that comment Barry - I was wondering why I wasn't catching any grass!

Get an answer from our members and Ryobi representatives

CategoryBattery Lawn Mowers