Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC

Ken B.asked

Will this work for NBN

Jan
Jan

It was standard issue modem around two years ago with Optus NBN. It will work with any provider as it is a generic modem. Ethernet output cable from NBN ARRIS box goes as input this modem. Note the NBN coax cable does not go into this modem.

rickyasked

my wifi extender WN2500RPv2 no longer works after the sagecom nbn modem was installed. Tried resetting via WSP and web but does not fix the problem. Ios device also cannot pick up connection with extender and keeps giving wrong IP address. Do i need to configure something on Sagecom modem ? Do i need to add MAC address etc ?

Phil

Is the Sagemcom new? If so, I think you have to configure everything to suit. I have a Sagemcom and its wifi is useless - keeps dropping out. I still use the Sagemcom for the phone landline but I hardwire another router from for my wifi

ricky

Thanks for reply. Yes, Sagecom modem is new; was provided as part of change from cable to NBN and was set up by service provider. What do I need to change in the configuration ?

Jeyendra
Jeyendra

Along with the Segemcom modem, I am using Netgear R6400 AC1750 Smart WiFi router, there is no issues so far.

John
Johnasked

does this router have voip capability

Phil

Yes. I plug my landline into it and seems to work ok. Just the wifi part isn’t much good

Matthew W.
Matthew W.asked

its a very poor modem, dont enable lan side firewall, you wont be able to get back into the web admin page. You can ping it and traffic routes but thats about it. Have to reset it back to defaults. Very limited functionality. No traffic shaping nor AES TKIP on the wireless.

MJP
MJPasked

I also have this modem through Optus. I had to buy a range extender (TP-Link) to combat the dead zone at the back of the house but it STILL doesn't enable me to pick up ANY wi-fi AT ALL. Yet I can pick up wifi outside from the same distance as the dead zone. What gives???? Periodically even the modem drops out and we lose tv coverage!

Danny K
Danny Kasked

Does this modem/router have a back up we’re it will use 4G signal turned into wifi if there is a service fault to spare you the inconvenience of no wifi?

Chris Y
Chris Y

No, it does not. Last time there was a signal fault we had no wifi for a week.

Brian
Brianasked

I am having the same problem as everyone on this page with the modem supplied by Optus - Sagemcom 3864V3. Continual WIFI dropouts. Can anyone recommend a remedy? Booster, Range Extender, etc. All I want is to have a good WIFI service (without using a cable) from the modem to my smart TV. The VOIP phone works fine but the WIFI is a joke. My TV is approx. 3 metres from the modem. Thanks.

Andrews
Andrews

Buy another router / access point and plug a cable between the Sagecom LAN port (yellow) to the new router / access point WAN port (red). Use the new device for wifi and disregard the wifi network from the Sagecom.

Mandyasked

Hi, can I plug a normal dect phone into these modems? Optus was telling me we need a Voip Phone! Is that correct or any advice on what phones we can use. We need cordless with voicemail/answering phone.

Tony K
Tony K

I assume you are now on NBN, which means that your ADSL will no longer operate. Thus yes, Optus are correct that you need a VOIP phone. Although it is an obvious outcome, Optus did not remind me when I talked to them about changing to NBN, and they did not advise that they do NOT supply a VOIP phone in your startup kit.
In my case, because I was very dissatisfied with the Sagemcom modem and bought a Netgear modem, Optus did advise that I could not have a VOIP phone with the Netgear modem that I purchased.

Lazy guy
Lazy guy

I connect normal cordless phone directly to the sagem modem. That's because i have phone line and nbn bundle. If you don't have phone line bundle then you need voip phone.

Mandy

Just following up to this, no Optus was not correct. A week after connection we have been able to plug into the modem and use our normal dect6 phone that we where originally using with our landline, we'd been trying it every day as our home NBN worked with a dect6 phone. So we have now wasted money, we needed cordless etc so it wasnt cheap and a lot of time purchasing a voip phone, because they are like hens teeth here, that after 10 days has still not arrived. I hope this saves people a lot of time and hassle, if you purchase a phone bundle with the NBN package a normal dect6 phone will work so wait it out and try that first before outlaying money on a voip system.

paul
paulasked

I currently have sagecom fast 3864op from optus internet averages 3.4 mbps is this any good?

happyrabbit
happyrabbit

Hi Paul. Sorry, I am not technical minded - all I know it is sufficient fast enough for me to watch catch up TV with no buffering whatsoever - provided the modem is in the same room as my laptop. Thanks. Happyrabbit.

Greg R
Greg R

Hi Paul,
As far as I am aware the 'speeds' we can pay for in the area you are talking about are:
1) slowest .... 0-12mbps download - 1mbps upload
2) next slowest 12-25mbps download - 1-5mbps upload.

Based on your download figure of 3.4mbps, by deduction, you must be on the slowest level listed above. So, you should expect download speeds between 0 and 12mbps. As you are getting 3.4mbps, it looks like you are getting the slow side of the slowest connection. Now, to be honest, when I was on an ADSL2 plan, thats the speed that I was getting and only on some few occasions I had issues with buffering netflix or slow internet.

So its up to you... you either try and get a faster speed from your provider if you can and if you can afford it, or if you are happy leave it as it is :) cheers Greg

Other Modems