Samsung Galaxy A5

Good and fast

The phone was very cheap and it lives up to its name. The camera quality is amazing and the phone is perfect. It could have more storage but its okay for what it is

Purchased in December 2017 at eBay for $350.00.

Working well

I'm a pretty basic phone user, a few social apps, calls, messaging and it is all working very well one year on. Camera and video is fantastic. I did need to purchase a memory card though to store the photos and videos but that was easy done. I find it easy to use and navigation us simple. Highly recommend for a great yet simple phone.

Purchased in May 2018.

Software

It's a good phone for a Samsung

Samsungs area always great phones, very clear screen, good sound quality and the always on display is an absolute bonus over iPhone. However the sluggishness of android is terrible compared to iPhone. I wouldn't recommend this phone for diehard mobile users, its best for a work phone or just your simple everyday tasks. The camera quality is good, however the focus is awful and most photos will come out blurry.

Purchased in October 2018.

Big disappointment

I made a big mistake by changing from Apple to Samsung. Pros: I really like the 'Always on Display' feature. Cons: Camera, typing/spell check, Samsung's pushy behaviour to use Samsung Pay, Cost of a new screen. I've owned this phone for only one year, but my new iPhone is already ordered.. Can't wait to go back to Apple!

Purchased in April 2018 at Harvey Norman for $498.00.

Software
I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service, and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact us on the link provided below. Facebook > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AU

Terrible camera

This phones auto focus is absolutely garbage it never focuses, also it never focuses when manually focusing it either. This phones back Camera just sucks overall, the more I use this hunk of junk the more I hate it. I hope this review will make you think twice about getting an iphone or something that can actually focus properly and this phone seems to not be able to pick up colors very great

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great phone if you don't want to spend a fortune

I received this phone for work. I was pleasantly surprised. For half the price of the Galaxy S7, the functions are similar. Screen resolution is great. I even find the camera is better on this compared to my S7. Also the fingerprint scanner works seamlessly. Calls are crystal clear and functions are easy to find. If you are looking for a mid-range phone, this is definitely a consideration. It is somewhat heavier though but after using it, I would definitely recommend it to someone who does not want to pay over $500 for a phone.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Not happy with this phone

As soon as contract is up this phone is gone! The screen freezes and doesn't respond and has to be turned off. When I make call or answer call phone cuts out I have to ring back. Samsung service were no help. Camera is good. Back to iphone for me.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi Gayle, we're sorry to hear about your experience with the Galaxy A5. This is not the type of experience we wish you to have. Our technicians at your nearest service centre or Samsung store may be able to assist. You can make a booking for a consultation: https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/bookings/#/

Great phone

I bought this phone initially for work but then started using it for personal use when my other phone kept going flat super quick.
This phone was fantastic. Everything ran smoothly. The battery was absolutely brilliant. Camera was great. The only issue I had was call recordings - they weren't very loud which I found strange because loud speaker was always good on the phone.
I've dropped it a few times over the course of the last 18 months, but dropped it on its side the other week and now... Now I'm back to using the phone with the terrible battery! (ZTE). After dropping it that last time, a purple line appeared on the right, and grew and grew and now the screen is completely black and I am unable to retrieve the things I had in there.
Recommendation: for a good, cheaper phone, the A5 is fantastic. I miss mine. Just use a case and don't drop it on the side! Though that goes for all phones!

a good backup handphone

Samsung is well known for its top of the range phones. Samsung is undoubtedly the best for its note 8,9 etc. But this A5 is certainly not top of the range. This phone is catered for mid market (obvious from the price range). But surprisingly it does its job very well, it has all the latest perks like Always on Display, USB C connector. With a very low usage, I don't have problem with this phone. The phone itself does not look as solid as note 8, etc. But for a backup phone, who cares. For those who don't like Chinese brands like oppo, huawei, xiaomi, this is certainly a good option. Although with the same price range, Chinese brands will give you better hardware. But again, better hardware is not necessarily translates to better overall experience, interface, etc.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Didnt really last long at all

Purchased this mobile from the Vodafone store on prepaid. Needed this phone in a rush however was let down by the constant dropping in call frequency and the lagging on this particular device. Was expecting that because I was purchasing a Samsung I would be receiving a quality device, however this was not the case. Rather a nokia instead

Date PurchasedMar 2018
We're sorry to hear about your experience with the A5, Andre. This sounds like something our techs can look into and assist you with. You can always visit a service centre, and our friendly technicians can offer sound advice as well as provide repairs if necessary. To locate your nearest service centre please follow the link provided. https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service-centre/ Philip Samsung Australia

Bad product

The camera sometimes doesn't work like doesn't load and the battery life is shocking. I have had many times where I really needed to use a camera and call someone but it just turns off and resets itself even with fifty per cent battery life. Really regret having this phone. Peace.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Jen, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your device, our technicians at your nearest service centre will be able to assist further. Book an appointment here: https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/bookings/ Don't have time to visit or can't get to one of our Service Locations? You also have the option to drop it off at your local Australia Post office: http://samsungcare2.samsungcsportal.com:81/samsungcare/au/index_m

Waste of Money

I have no complain about the phone until I got a notification to unplug my charger because of moisture on the USB port. My phone has not got in contact with any liquid or water at all. I just used it for messaging and calling. No games. Try to dry it for half a day. Turn off the phone and it did charge. Was able to use it for awhile. The notification sign on top of the screen came up again. Rang up Samsung support. She took me step by step to delete the notification. Last step was to turn it off and the phone won't turn on again. Now, Samsung technician is charging me $250 for the change of the main board. The old one was corroded and not covered by warranty. To think that this phone is water and dust resistant. Surely, there must be a protection against corrosion.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hi Bill, I understand this must be a frustrating situation for you and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused, however as liquid damage is not covered under warranty, we are unable to repair this free of charge. Here's a link to explain how our IP68 rating works and how to properly take care of the device. >https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/water-and-dust-protection-ip68/ Sara Samsung AustraliaI think I have done all the right thing to take care of my device. It didn't get in contact with any liquid or water at any time. I suppose I wasn't the first one to complain about this defect on A5. Surely something must be wrong with your phone.

Value for money

My family this phone after looking for a more affordable smartphone for my mum, as the highest specs weren't particularly important to her. She's had her phone for a few months now after upgrading from a Samsung S4 and feels content with what the phone does. It's good value for money; the battery life is quite decent, the camera isn't terrible, the phone runs relatively quickly and isn't a fragile build. It's nothing amazing feature-wise but if you're after a phone that will give you the ability to browse the internet, use apps, and do other simple smartphone things without forking out heaps of money then go for it.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great value

Great value for the features, robust (with a case) easy to use and good batter life. No need to pay for all the bell and whistles when this model does the job! Am I sounding like an oldie, maybe I am? Anyways, good screen display, reasonable audio, and seems to handle all the most everyday apps.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Decent all rounder with super vibrant AMOLED display

Please note this review is of the discontinued smaller sized model Galaxy A3.

The first thing I consider when buying a phone is the size. Most phones these days are so big they don't fit comfortably in hand or pocket. I spent many hours comparing and reading up on the ideal screen size. The Galaxy A3 was the only one that fitted the size and price range I was after. I was pleased with the specs and made the purchase.

The standout would have to be the vibrant AMOLED screen which is simply stunning. I also like the nearly infinite number of customisation options, always on display, fingerprint sensor, and the secure folder for storing private or confidential information/apps. In general use, I have found a number of handy features that I much prefer over the iphones.

The camera isn't the best but does quite alright outdoors in daylight hours. The speakers are tinny and in a strange position that your thumb covers when holding. Another thing I found is that I could only purchase the A3 in 16GB which is mostly already taken up by pre-installed undeletable apps. I added an SD card but that can mostly only be used for photo/music storage. I tried transferring or installing apps to the SD but this phone doesn't allow that with most apps. Hopefully with the next model they make at least a 32GB available in Australia.

I would put it at the very start of the mid range phones. In saying so, it is fast and snappy for the price with the perfect screen size and display. If you are looking for a phone specifically for music or taking photos, I would look elsewhere. However, if you want something for all round performance that will last a few years and cost a third of the price of its iphone equivalent, look no further than the Galaxy A3 (or for a little larger screen, the A5).

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Reliable, good battery, good reception, decent camera

The A5 was pitched to me as a low-spec phone, lacking the features of the flagship S series. This, I have realised through using it, is the wrong way to approach it. The A5 consists of all the features that worked in the experimental S series phones, and only lacks all the ones that didn't live up to expectations. It works unobtrusively, whereas my previous phones may have been more feature rich but I mainly noticed those features when they stopped working or got in the way of using the phone.

I went to this from an S6 edge and a string of Motorolas and Sonys before that, and the contrast in reliability has been stark. Where they had failed through exposure to everyday life, I've happily exposed the A5 to conditions I would never have subjected even a nominally shockproof phone to. It has been exposed to gravel, rain, snow, mud, sand, sawdust and everything in between. The screen has remained perfectly readable in all but the brightest sunlight, at which point all I have to do is shade the screen with my hand. The speakers still work admirably and the camera still takes decent photographs. The one only reliability concern has been the USB-C port, which I would advise putting a magnetic connector into. It is far more prone to collecting and being blocked up by lint than a micro-usb port.

I have used the phone away from recharge capabilities for 8-9 days at a time, and the ultra power saver mode has stretched its battery life easily each time.

Despite it's seeming low power consumption, the aerial is impressive. Several times, I have been able to tether a 4G connection from the phone in a region where other phones don't even register a network.

I have been blown away by this phone, which has unobtrusively and easily done everything I have demanded of it, far above and beyond what Samsung should have been expected it to handle.

Good phone, but USB port corroded in 12 months rendering phone useless

As a phone works fine, camera is good, but the USB port lets it down.
Had this phone 6 months when it developed a "moisture in USB port" fault that wouldn't go away. Phonecall to Samsung help line ended up with me having to clear the cache. Random moisture in USB port faults got progressively more frequent over the next few months until it could no longer be cleared.
At the 13 month mark took it in to Samsung for warranty repair to be told the USB port had corroded, not a warranty issue, $250 to fix.
Apparently splash/water resistent phones don't need corrosion resistent pins in their USB ports. I was told I need to physically dry the USB port everytime it gets moisture in it with a cottonbud, rice, or hair dryer. Really!

Suggest looking elsewhere if you (like me) are considering this phone for its splashproof qualities.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi Franc, we are really sorry to hear what's happened and we'd like to get to the bottom of this. We have sent you a private message requesting for more information, when you do get a chance, can you please respond to our private message? Jazz Samsung Australia

Broke in 2 months

This very fragile phone broke in 2 months and left me with 22 months on contract. Highly fragile... ...dropped but screen still intact ...phone up the creek wont even turn on. Cant retrieve any photos or contacts. Never buy one. A piece of crap. A waste of money. A complete scam by Samsung

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Sorry to hear this, accidents do happen, please visit one of our service centres, and our technicians can assist further. Here is a link to find your nearest centre: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service-centre/ Philip Samsung AustraliaSorry to hear this, accidents do happen, please visit one of our service centres, and our technicians can assist further. Here is a link to find your nearest centre: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service-centre/ Philip Samsung Australia

Impressive value for many

I, be got this phone after the Samsung S5,went off, it was under warranty. Seems that this one was introduced to replace the s5 which had a batch issue. Any way, this Galaxy S5 gives me the same features and quality as the S7. Amazing phone great camera and fantastic battery

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Yep, yep, yep!

This phone is so good! I love the physical size (smaller than most) and despite the low cost, the specs are better than iPhones and I believe match those of the Galaxy S8? I've had mine for about 7 months and no issues whatsoever and there's nothing I'm not happy about. The camera is great, and it runs so smoothly. A++

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Hi there, I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A5 - gold ....great phone I am seriously thinking of upgrading and going to the Samsung Galaxy A50. My question is ...does the A50 come in gold? If they do, where can I purchase one in Frankston, Melbourne, Victoria? Thanks Tracey C, Frankston
Hi Tracey, the A50 comes in either Blue or Black. You can purchase it at an authorised Australian retailer or via the link below. Purchase online > https://www.samsung.com/au/smartphones/galaxy-a50-a505/SM-A505YZBNXSA/ List of Participating Retailers >https://www.samsung.com/au/made-for-australia/ Jo Samsung AU

how do I transfer photos off my phone to computer
We have provided a link below to help you transfer photos from your phone to PC. We hope this helps :) > https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/transfer-photos-from-phone-to-pc/ Jo Samsung AUThank you I will try it.

I am using Samsung A5. I 've lost my original charger. Now I couldn't find a charger that providing fast charging. It indicates a system message as slow charging and asked me to use my original charger. I went to Samsung Chadstone to buy orginal charger but that chrger also indicates as slow charging. What can I do for this matter?
I would suggest returning back to the Samsung Store or referring to another Samsung Stores .. I have located the Highpoint SC and Melbourne Central Stores within close proximity in order to address this issue. I beleive they will be able to assist you better with this matter. It could possibly be an issue with the charging port or a simple firmware flaw within the Samsung OS

Samsung Galaxy A5 2nd Generation (2017)Samsung Galaxy A5 1st Generation (2014)
CategoryMobile PhonesMobile Phones
Screen Size 5.2"
Screen Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels
Display TechnologyAMOLED
Camera
Max Video Resolution 1080p (Full HD)
Front Camera(s)16MP