Samsung Galaxy Note 8

• Hardware
Ray

RayVictoria

my Note 8 paint started to clip off

the build of the phone is good but I had an issue with the paint on the phone coming off with a few weeks I had the phone. went to the store to see what can they do. I did spend like almost 1500 on the phone and to get a refurbished model is still not good effort for me. but the store person said he was going to be a new one. but he fails to mention it was going to be a refurbished until I get to the store. after that i ask for some advice or issues I had with the refurbished model. they said that couldn't help me out all was very disappointed.

Purchased in August 2017 at Melbourne Central for $1,500.00.

MickSamsung

Colin FoleyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

easy to use but feels the effect of time

It is a great phone to use. However I have had it get it repaired after the first 2 months as the hardware froze on the machine. 2 years in and the charger only works half the time

Purchased in January 2018 at Telstra.

KathSamsung
Viv

VivGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Nice phone

Bought this one last year, over all very happy with the performance, very handy for doing presentation and pdf editing. But battery is still an issue even though they have increased the power.

Purchased in March 2018 at The Good Guys for $985.00.

Performance
Samsung AUSamsung

Mobile Phones

Find out how Samsung Galaxy Note 8 compares to other Mobile Phones

GordoSouth Australia

A case of good and ordinary

I need a phone to work all over Australia, so I use Australia's largest network. I need a phone with a good antenna, Samsung seems ok.
Phone calls, sms texts, emails, facebook and photos, that are my needs.
The Samsung almost completely FAILS when it comes to text messaging, which is very frustrating. I had a Note 3 which was brilliant in this regard and I am considering starting that phone up again.
The Samsung Note 8 is completely frustrating when it comes to swipe messaging. Once you have used this feature, you never want to go back to typing, and the Note 8 is bloody useless in this regard.
Photos, fine.
Emails, fine.
Sorry Samsung, you have really dropped the ball on the messaging.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Samsung AUSamsung
Gordo

Hi Sara. My old note 3 which I still have was better from the beginning. At least you could have given us the ability to vary the screen sensitivity. Maybe include this in one of your many updates? Regards.

PhilSamsung

Hi Gordo, this is definitely something we can provide to the product innovation team as feedback! I'll be sure to pass this on and I hope we can release bigger and better technology as we progress forward.

Philip
Samsung Australia

Dhan

DhanNew South Wales, 2765

Very Good phone

Very Good phone and I love all the features! ! !
The only downside of this is the battery. Using the fast charger it does charge fast. However if I use the phone regularly the battery won't last whole day.
The pen is very useful and handy to have. .

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Leigh Jensen

Leigh JensenPerth

Powerful but cumbersome in many ways

It's a good phone. Really fast, excellent camera, excellent battery life. In all other respects my S5 was a better phone. You lose some image at the curve of the screen. The fingerprint scanner has trouble reading my print, the retina scanner is completely useless and the facial recognition is useless. Unlocking the screen was so annoying I switched the security off. It doesn't integrate with bluetooth accessories as well as my previous phone. The pen keeps popping out unintentionally. It has a few cool apps I guess, but they are mostly gimmicks - they don't really do anything.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Jenny Jewel

Jenny JewelBallarat

Hating this phone...

The screen is a nuisance to use...it should be flat there is no advantage in a curved screen ... gimmicky.
I have wasted money on buying screen protectors that do fit well.
Bixby is annoying... cannot get rid if it...never use it ... never will.
My Note 2 was a much better user experience for 6 years...can't wait to finish my contract and buy a better phone ... hating it!!
Hate the curved screen hate Bixby design faults...
Won't buy Samsung again .... very dissppointed

Date PurchasedAug 2017
FusionOz

FusionOzAU

Note the best

I have been using the Note 8 as my daily driver since November last year. One of the biggest let downs is the fact it was released on Android 7.1.1 instead of Android 8.0 Oreo, that update is still waiting to be released.

All in all the Note 8 is one beast of a smartphone, the camera setup is amazing and takes photos to the next level, its fast and you do not notice lag thanks to the 6Gb of RAM and they are a little shy on the Storage size with 64GB but at least they have not removed the SD slot so expandable storage for photos is always a plus.

The 18.5:9 Aspect is well something that takes time to get used to on this very long phone. But all in all, this is a very solid device, after the Note 7 issues.

kpkfusion

kpkfusionNaples

Great device with one major flaw

I love the Note 8 with one qualification - its susceptibility to micro-fractures in the screen. The software is excellent with less bloatware than historically included. The resolution is excellent and the camera is great. The battery life is workable. But there is a real screen issue with its cracking and durability. I bought a screen protector and an urban armour case the day that I activated the phone. Never dropped it and in fact "baby" it throughout usage. Horrible crack is still showing up right through the center of the phone. This seems to be a prevalent problem for Samsung. So my recommendation would be to buy something else until this problem is acknowledged and fixed.

Mobile Phones

Find out how Samsung Galaxy Note 8 compares to other Mobile Phones

Cyndi

CyndiAdelaide

Good phone..bad screen

The phone works awesome..the quality of photos and videos are crystal clear. I've had Samsung notes previously and have had incidents where the phone has dropped and nothing's happened but 2 weeks after purchasing their note 8 the phone was knocked out of my hand (with screen protector on) and has smashed instantly. I have never previously smashed a screen so I googled it and others have had the same complaint. The phone was $1000 and I've got quoted $500 to fix it. NOT HAPPY JAN!

James T

James TMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Nice but pointless.

Samgaffaa

SamgaffaaQueensland, Australia

it's no iPhone

This is my first phone that isn't an iPhone. on paper the specs are great, equal to or better than the iPhone X. However I find the reality to be not so fantastic. I'm not a fan of Android Software and find Bixby to be more annoying than helpful. moreover the curved screen makes it very difficult to protect with a protector meaning the likelyhood of breaking it is greatly increased.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
V12RR

V12RRGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Don't bother if you have a Note 5, not worth the expense. Really little improvement.

The Samsung Note 8 is okay but it's got plenty of issues such as the rounded edges which don't work well with typing a SMS. It is a pain to log into as well and unresponsive. It's a lot of hype for not much more than the Note 5 - the pen is the same and the screen size is only a fraction longer. Quality is no better. Really very disappointed for the cost. It's just not worth it. Save your money and wait for the 10 to come out!

Date PurchasedDec 2017
lazykite

lazykite

Fantastic in almost everyway

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Ian

Ianasked

I have been using my Note 8 since 2017 it continues to be a very reliable phone. I am considering an upgrade to the S21 Ultra but I'm concerned about reports on this website regarding extreme overheating problems. Do you have any information on this? Don't want to spend $1800 on a dud.

Gary

Garyasked

Whats the best tradie phone from samsung.I have a J1 and am happy with phone and replacement cost is not to painful. Looking for phone that I can put in my pocket as I work as a plumber.

AdaSamsung

Hi Gary, depending on the price range and features you may be looking into, we have provided links below to our different series of mobile devices.

Galaxy A Series

Galaxy S Series

Galaxy Note Series

Ada
Samsung AU

Colin Foley

Would steer away from the notes, the bigger screen is great but it is bulky in the pocket

Van N.

Van N.asked

How can you disable "moisture detected" error? Absolute rubbish feature as the phone charges fine, frustrating that the phone needs to switch off with cable inserted and switched on and wait for software to load.

AdaSamsung

Hi Van, we recommend for you to visit one of our authorised service centres so we can look into this.

With the global spread of COVID-19 impacting many communities, Samsung is adapting its practices to protect the health and wellbeing of our people and customers. As such, all our Galaxy Studios are currently closed. Our Experience Stores located at George Street, Sydney, Melbourne Central and Highpoint Shopping Centre are still open but at reduced operating hours.

You can also drop your device off at your local Australia Post office.

Ada

See all Samsung Galaxy Note 8 questions

Get an answer from our members and Samsung representatives

CategoryMobile Phones
Price (RRP) $1,099.00
Features3.5mm Headphone Jack, Expandable Storage, Stylus (Included), Waterproof and Wireless Charging
Charging PortUSB-C
Screen Size 6.3"
Screen Resolution1440 x 2960 pixels
Hardware
ChipsetExynos 8895
CPU Octa-core (4x2.3 GHz Mongoose M2 & 4x1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPU Mali-G71 MP20
Battery Size3,300 mAh
Internal Storage64 GB
Memory (RAM)6 GB
Camera
Max Video Resolution2160p (Ultra HD, 4K)
Rear Camera(s)12MP Wide, 12MP Telephoto